Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

cuedotcom posted:

Tl;dr

Never played swg, was just ahead of when I got into mmo's. Couple friends had me install swgemu. Any goons there? Any advice?

I'm playing as Nasreddin Hodja, send me a friend request and I can get you into the guild I joined. It has an up and coming city and a few helpful people. I'm working on master rifleman right now...what kinda character did you start? i can give you a basic rundown on what to do and how stuff works

I'll be on this afternoon a little so friend me and i'll give you a few thousand creds to get started (im hilariously broke by server standards but i have enough to get someone some basic equipment)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Yeah, before you do anything from the mission terminals, get 6 buffs from a doctor, and listen to a musician while watching a dancer for three minutes for baseline buffs. It's also important to make sure you have plenty of food - I use two +mind drinks and a +accuracy food for rifleman levelling, and it makes it so I can spam AOE targets for maximum effectiveness. Make sure you take missions that are on the lower end of the pay scale at first so you can learn the ropes - right now I'm trying to figure out how to 'solo group' grind on dantooine for incredible exp, but it's all a little confusing to me.

Also pay a lot of attention to your weapon's stats. Weapon quality is determined by the quality of the ingredients and the skill of the crafter, so two weapons of the same type can be completely different - one useful, one useless. Like for instance right now I'm using a T21 rifle (the type of gun that basically defines rifleman) that someone gave me for free, but I need about 16mil to get a top of the line one (which will never happen because I have 500k and no money, though I've been told Jantas (?) are a good source of income)

Basically SWG is a really complicated game that allows you to simultaneously take your character in multiple complementary directions but they're all obfuscated by byzantine mechanics, so figure out what you really want to do with your character before committing to something, and decide on the order you want to level stuff. I levelled marksman to get to rifleman and most of scout in case I decide to go squad leader later, and at the same time I've been slowly working on Medic so I can get to Battle Medic one day, which pairs perfectly with Rifleman because you can do AOE mind damage like no other class and be the ideal in-combat healer, whereas doctors provide buffs and heal debuffs. I suggest messing around with the profession planner tool a little bit.

I've probably put like 100+ hours in on this character and I'm still lovely and dumb and have no idea what I'm doing.

also general thing, if any goons have like...furniture they don't need, or they're willing to sell for cheap, please send Nasreddin some mail. I got a giant naboo style house in the city of deception on dantooine and it's a giant empty shell atm.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

so I have a crafting macro for medic crafting experience that has the make prototype no item line in it, but suddenly its consuming materials while still not making an item, what gives?

Theophany posted:

I feel like this should be the thread title.

I think it's why I like SWG because, much like the real world, it is often dreary and confusing and you can have things happen like your house automatically draining your bank account and leaving you stranded somewhere unpleasant

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Nizumzen posted:

I've never played this game before but I've been recommended it by numerous people. I've got SWGEmu all installed and set up so just waiting for a free moment when I can have a bit of an explore and see what you can do in it.

Some of the YouTube videos I've seen have been interesting but it is the crafting that really grabs my attention. It does seem like a rather deep game to just into though.

It is a pretty deep game, particularly with regards to crafting. Do you know what you want to craft? Going down a specific crafting path requires a LOT of grinding and accumulating appropriate materials - the supermajority of stuff you make will just be for practice and not worth anything.

If you do know, and can stomach some spreadsheet style thinking, you can get pretty rich selling top tier items and resources. However, as people ITT have noted, Basilisk has a deeply entrenched economy and thus even higher end crafted items are relatively cheap. So you'll probably need an alternate character to level up first to acquire seed money and learn the mechanics before you start a crafting grind, because the payoff will be delayed and niche. I suggest making a combat character you find entertaining and taking that one to master something, then use money from missions with him to buy crafting grind kits.

Send me a tell in game if you want some guidance, but just jumping into crafting is probably not the best idea. It is workable if you really want to, tho

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I'd suggest you just hop in and start grinding monsters outside of Mos Eisley. It'll get you acquainted with the basic systems and you'll be able to level your weapon of choice fairly quickly, and start working on scout at the same time (for gathering organic materials if you want to use him as a supplier for your crafter). The crafting really only starts to make sense after you learn other stuff - I'm only just now starting to figure it out and thats after crafting my way to Master Medic.

Anyway, I just hit Master Rifleman a few minutes ago, and so as MR/MM (I'm gonna do the MCM grind sometime soon, just gonna load up on stimpack-ds and hit up the Baby Bantha on Tatooine and use my healing macro for like...8-10 hours I guess). Before I do the MCM grind, though, I'd like to do some actual content, get some badges, explore some planets, etc. Are there any theme parks or cool places I can solo with MR/MM that are interesting or particularly worth it? What is an extremely cool / fun thing to do? I'm considering joining the Rebellion (since GCW isn't super active and it doesn't matter really which faction you join, I think, since nobody really flags and the vast majority of players are imperial for the ATST), assuming its possible to get similar solo group benefits from rebel faction rewards.

So whats the most enjoyable and/or scenic thing to do as a MR/MM before going and doing the final leg of stuff on this guy?

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I'm on Basilisk, Master Rifleman/Master Medic/most of the way through Master Combat Medic. My name is Nasreddin Hodja and I need a guild, I'd be stoked to join ya'll goons

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Every once in awhile I feel like I should log back in and finish Combat Medic since I'm master Rifleman/Master Medic already and I'm so close to the effective "cap" in this game. But then I remember I quit for a year and lost all my credits + my hosue and some guy tricked me into giving him my veteran rewards, the utter dickhead.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I will remake my glorious mon calamari rifleman / medic / slitherhorn dabbler on your thing

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

dope! I made an account and tried to log in but it said "the administrators have disabled your account". Everything seems to be mostly working though

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I got it working. I'm curious, though, how does stuff on a fresh SWG server work? I'm afraid to like use my speeder and stuff because there isn't anything being made anywhere and thus nothing to purchase. I love that its not the exact same system as SWGemu, I did levels in rifleman til I spent my 2k starting credits on training and it was refreshingly paced.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Yeah I levelled to MR/MCM/MM on Basilisk and got bored quick especially after someone scammed me out of my veteran items, which was my fault, but also really lame

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Basilisk was like 99% Imperial as well, I remember there being some specific reason (I think it was the summonable stormtroopers) because everyone did it over the rebel stuff despite it being like three times harder for aliens.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

armorcrafter, gatherer, weaponmaker, and a main character? it'd be doable if you crafted/gathered on all three like eight hours a day for awhile maybe.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Double exp is still active right? There's a lot of stuff I never got around to doing on my MR/MM/MCM on Basilisk but quit out of frustration after being scammed out of my dope veterans rewards

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

You can always go grind for just a little bit and then do the theme park on Tatooine if you want a more conventional experience

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

So I played on basilisk all the way to skill cap back in 2017 or so, I assume my extant SWGemu account will be sufficient to log into this new server once I get the game installed?

Ed: that was easy! Haven’t played in ages but I recall starting as scout and rifleman and harvesting stuff was a good way to get going, gonna remake my last character the Mon Calamari Nasreddin Hodja, very exciting to see so many people online even off peak hours

Frog Act fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jan 12, 2022

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Any good build advice for pairing with rifleman? Logged into my basilisk character and he was MR, Master Scout, and like 60% of Master Combat Medic with no skill points left. I can’t quite recall what I was doing with that but I think it was all about mind damage, using scout to harvest components, and then making medical kits for CM with the harvested mats but it looks kinda clunky as a build in retrospect

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Tai posted:

Depends really on the style of PvE you want to do.

Rifle/CM does the best damage for solo
Rifle/Creature Handler is a great all rounder
Rifle/Ranger for animal harvesting

Hmm word I think I'll go for Rifle/CM this time since I remember it having a lot of utility. I can't remember how respeccing works but iirc I can basically just engage with scout for components and harvesting while I level the left tier of CM which requires crafting and then drop it later and invest those points in the rest of CM, right?

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I said come in! posted:

I still haven't had time to play on Legends, but its the SWG with the combat revamp right with only like 9 classes? I really like the original combat and skill system of SWG, but might be worth it to play on Legends to see the other combat system.

Yeah I signed up on a lark last night and it’s got the class system and JTL, so it’s like CE rather than NGE, I think. Still waiting on admin approval but I plan on rolling a medic and giving it a try, Project Gorgon didn’t do it for me but the big hall of player vendors compelled me to seek out SWG again. I leveled a character to skillcap on Legends in 2017 and again in 2020 or so and had a loving great time, the skill system matters to me but I can accept the more generic one if it still retains all the important stuff and it seems like Legends does

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I want to play legends but I’ve been waiting all day for an admin to approve my account :(

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I just dropped it in the folder where my SWG files were for SWGemu and ran it as an admin and it seems to work, though I can’t log in to find out on account of lack of approval. Maybe try a fresh reinstall?

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Oh cool there’s a boost? I dig it, probably use that for medic. regarding verification I guess that’s just the way things are now, discord is just inescapable so I’ll hop on and ask, thanks friend

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Noise Complaint posted:

Here's the link to the ILM update that works with the current version. I've already done the work creating the custom.cfg file so this just has to be dropped into the base SWG folder.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AsCjhaPd5kMMiI53AzheNPpkZNlvKw?e=AVXS8A

Oh hell yeah thanks I wasn’t about to do any .cfg updating but I will absolutely drop a file in a folder. Gonna message for approval and do that tomorrow, give legends the old college try

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I made my usual Mon Calamari medic and did the extremely embarrassing NGE space station quests, it definitely looks a lot better with the tweaks from ITT, thanks. Seems very different than Legends where the first thing you do is grind womp rats for basic combat experience points, which is neat, and I had major flashbacks to when that actually launched and everyone was so frustrated and confused but it feels fine with old fashioned controls. Name is Ediacara Urey, I’ll probably join that guild