Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Update July 2018 Stardust SWG is live
Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vDc6A0TXXQ

Stardust (Recommended choice)
Pre-NGE Server: Based on the Star Wars Galaxies emulator (highly modified)

Server status: It's up right now go play it

Features
  • Brand new combat system - not NGE, not pre-cu and not the combat upgrade itself - it is 100% UNIQUE. Never been seen before.
  • The mad man actually balanced Star Wars Galaxies
  • New quests
  • New planets
  • New PvP zone
  • New professions
  • An advancement to the games timeline - Elysiums timeline takes place post ROTJ era, and the game reflects these changes

Cons
  • No "Jump to Lightspeed" Space Flight gameplay
  • No Rage of the Wookies/Trials of Obi Wan expansions
  • Levarris works on it

Where to Play
http://stardust-swg.com/play-now/

Discord
https://discordapp.com/invite/aCZX5tm

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Jul 27, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
People don't want to lose their progress while testing a sandbox MMO for the thousandth time, I am truly shocked.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
I made a discord channel, if you want to use it, cool.
https://discord.gg/e74mT

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

jabro posted:

Yes, I'm sure thousands will flock as soon as they go live.

Just saw this, you underestimate the appeal of a live server with JTL. MassivelyOP/PCGamer will get wind of it, bam 4000 concurrent players.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

I said come in! posted:

I actually hope this flies under the radar because i'm afraid Disney/LucasFilm will send their millions of copyright lawyers after this server once they catch wind of it.

At this point, I think it's fair to say that they either don't care about it or someone is protecting it from EA's lawyers. Galaxies-related projects have gotten plenty of publicity long-term and the only thing that got Galaxy in Turmoil (Battlefront III fan game) shut down was Electronic Arts. LucasFilm was completely open to working with them but EA has an exclusive contract on Star Wars games for the next ten years.

If anyone is going to shut this down, it's going to be Electronic Arts because "it's taking away from The Old Republic/the rumored Destiny: Star Wars edition project".

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Ahdinko posted:

The discord link is broke, what are we using?

This link will never expire
https://discord.gg/BptnaPJ

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
PSA to anyone ignoring the thread about the client, apparently the Steam version gave them some issues.

SWGEmu works with Steam but Stella Bellum doesn't. Get your download started if you have slow internet.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Speaking as a Galaxies launch/Pre-CU Jedi player, I'd rather play 2011-era NGE than on the emulator's Basilisk. I know Basilisk hasn't wiped in a very long time, but it will and even when it launches, it's going to lack a ton of content that people are going to miss. Then again, I'm not involved in the Ultima Online/Everquest/World of Warcraft nostalgia shards either.

I want to go forward rather than backwards and I think Stella Bellum has a great shot at doing that if it picks up a community.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

bad-yeti posted:

Now i'm confused so are all these different servers run by individual people all staged off the game as it was at a different point in time?

If I go for one of the newer mods then there is no creature handler character right?

SWGEmu is an emulator emulating the game as it was before the Combat Upgrade, Basilisk is a pure version ran by the SWGEmu team, Bloodfin is a modded version that I would not recommend

There are no projects emulating Combat Upgrade that I know of

Stella Bellum is a snapshot of the live server before it shut down in 2011 post-"New Game Enhancements", has Beast Master in there, features JTL+Rage of the Wookies+Trials of Obi Wan+whatever patches came out until 2011.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
I wish we had Rogue One when Star Wars Galaxies was developed. Would've given them some inspiration for polearm/teras kasi users and maybe they would have set it in that timeline (where they could've done cool force sensitive stuff on Jedha).

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

randombattle posted:

I'm gonna be a jedi though cause they got laser swords and those are cool like when Darth Vader was in Rogue One and he had a laser sword and was like vroom vrewwm and killed dudes.

I can't tell if this is a shitpost or not considering this is what drove the game to the NGE in the first place

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
What planet? Also, how will i get my Mustafar bunker? Though I don't know if I'll be happy with that anymore now that I've seen Vader's lava castle.

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Dec 21, 2016

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

akma posted:

True. I cancelled 2 meetings in hopes of launch today. Oh well. Guess I'll kill the time by opening up eve online and watching my ship spin.

They said it's still on for today but it might be a couple hours into tomorrow (sometime in the very early morning for US I'd imagine)

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
"Live will be a bit delayed, sorry about that! We wish you happy holidays!
We're spread thin right now to finish the final configurations today but will continue working once we are back from the festivities."

Definitely not today or tomorrow.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
I would have loved to see them iterate on the sandbox annually and add a little content in between.

I know that they were essentially working on sandbox 2.0 until they were told to make the NGE however the update was coming far too late. We should've had something September 2004.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
You guys need to get on discord. We're all there.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

LumberingTroll posted:

You guys going reb, or imp? I havent decided yet.

Imperial is stacked because "I want to be Darth Vader/Boba Fett" edgelords. A lot of people are going Rebel.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Pack it up, back to Basilisk. gently caress this server.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
I'm more concerned about the fact that they got caught opening the servers to friends & family, then wiped the server (with the same people showing up with leveled characters and harvesters)

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Erev posted:

As a pre-CU fanatic explain to me why I should play. I was a rifleman/droid engineer if it helps.

Because it has 8 years worth of themepark content and won't wipe as long as it survives.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
The NGE's mechanics themselves weren't bad, it was the change in premise.

quote:

"There was lots of reading, much too much, in the game. There was a lot of wandering around learning about different abilities. We really needed to give people the experience of being Han Solo or Luke Skywalker rather than being Uncle Owen, the moisture farmer. We wanted more instant gratification: kill, get treasure, repeat. We needed to give people more of an opportunity to be a part of what they have seen in the movies rather than something they had created themselves."

If they had done what The Repopulation did (toggle between CU combat and NGE's pseudo shooter gameplay) along with iterating on the sandbox to keep us going between content updates, I think it would have done rather well.

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Jan 6, 2017

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

nazca posted:

Uck I hope Disney doesn't through a fuss. And if they do I hope it gets moved to Russian servers and ignored.

If it does, I'm done with Galaxies until Suncrusher because NGE with a high latency sucks.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Elysium is up.Check it out.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Conskill posted:

No sarcasm intended, but: for how long? Persistence is a key element to my enjoyment of SWG and it's one thing that Darklight/Elysium has had trouble with in the past.

Well it has already been up longer than Stella Bellum so that's a plus.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Both servers are dead. Something may come out of them as a result of them going open source but honestly, best chance you've got is waiting for Suncrusher

Problem is, that's likely 3+ years away and there'll be fully released alternatives by then. I think they blew their only shot by taking way too long.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Sun Wu Kampf posted:

Do any servers have JTL content?

Any Stella Bellum-based server has JTL but I don't know what's going on with that since the team disbanded and released the source.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Freakazoid_ posted:

SWG is dead. Let it rest in peace.

This. I'll give Suncrusher a chance (if it launches and I still care about SWG when there's all sorts of alternatives) or a SB server that isn't managed by children but basically they took too long and killed the unique opportunity they had of being the only sandbox MMO on the horizon. Now there's alternatives and I'd rather play Project Gorgon or something tbh.

Stella Bellum was the straw that broke the camel's back for me.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

randombattle posted:

With the implosion of Stella bellum I've given up entirely on ever playing Star Wars galaxies. It's just not gonna happen.

At least we still have Suncrusher to look forward to :^)

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Goast posted:

Didn't the source get leaked my some dev that got catfished?

Yeah, that's how the Stella Bellum (NGE) project got started. Without the source code leak, I doubt anyone would have ever bothered to get it post-NGE again. Only reason a lot of us were playing it is because a live NGE server is more appealing than playing Bloodfin or Basilisk Test Server.

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 14:30 on May 14, 2017

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Honestly there isn't a good replacement for Galaxies yet, which is a loving shame considering how long it has been.

Crowfall has some similar mechanics, which makes sense considering who it is being made by... But it's fundamentally a very different game. Go play EVE I guess

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Theophany posted:

The Repopulation is frequently mentioned as a spiritual successor to SWG but gently caress paying for software in alpha.

Repopulation got acquired by the company its fans credit to its failure (the creators of Hero Engine). I'm expecting absolutely nothing, but I'd love to see it become something some day. Hopefully the original studio can put something interesting out now that they're not being bogged down with technology that was their only viable option back in 2009-2010 when they started the project.

Like Levarris said, without the Star Wars IP, it would've just been a deeply flawed sandbox.... But I can't help but wonder did the Star Wars IP hurt the game more than it helped? I know that sounds crazy but without all the oversight, maybe people would've been okay with "playing the moisture farmer" instead of Luke Skywalker or Han Solo. Maybe they wouldn't have spread the community too thin with as many planets as they did. Maybe they could've focused on improving the sandbox instead of turning it into something it clearly was never meant to be by competing with World of Warcraft. Most importantly, maybe it'd still be running and fill the niche that goes between Ultima Online and EVE.

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 01:12 on May 26, 2017

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Here's a discord link to MMO general
https://discord.gg/pbTpkUB

If there's interest, I'll make a sandbox-general

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Unfortunately, JTL is necessary for some reason before they launch Suncrusher. Don't know why but JTL is really important to them. Probably 2-3 years away at best.

http://www.swgemu.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Pladdicus posted:

So is this dead again? Any functional server? OP was a bit misleading.

Both projects are dead. Haven't been following Stella Bellum but that's a poo poo show not worth following anyways. If you really want to play Galaxies, Basilisk is the only one not managed by a bunch of man children that act the part too until Suncrusher launches in God knows how long.

Games you should play instead
Project Gorgon
Gloria Victis
Age of Wushu, despite the pay 2 win bullshit that made everyone quit, it's still fun
Elder Scrolls Online, it's a pretty sandboxy content-driven MMO

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Jul 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
No wipe? gently caress. See you guys on Suncrusher in five years.