Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Holy loving poo poo the Doctor grind is killing me. I don't remember it being this much of an arse ache when I did it as a kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Is it gently caress. Pub 9 and the Jedi village are just around the corner though - JTL and a live server are probably 2 years away at best.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Alexander DeLarge posted:

Both servers are dead. Something may come out of them as a result of them going open source but honestly, best chance you've got is waiting for Suncrusher

Problem is, that's likely 3+ years away and there'll be fully released alternatives by then. I think they blew their only shot by taking way too long.

Hardcore sandbox fans' pretty much only viable substitute is The Repopulation and that's got its own fleas to say the least.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Arven posted:

To me it seemed like it melted down because the server became unstable when there were more than a couple hundred people on a planet at the same time. For the few hours it was up you'd de-sync constantly unless you got off Tatooine. Other than that it was fine.

Yeah. And the fact that all these emu projects are run by 30 something man children who all come from other emu projects that melted down because *~*~drama~*~*

It's kind of sad because anybody who played SWG when it was live must be 30 or so now and yet every day the SWGEmu Reddit page has a new video of Rebels and Imperials bitching at each other.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
We're like a decade in to this loving emulator. There's a vanilla WoW that's been around for ages, I'm thinking I should just suck a dick and jump aboard the EA shaft train.

Happy May Fourth you lovely misanthropes.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
The CU was the golden era imo. It fixed a lot of poo poo whilst keeping the game pretty diverse. The NGE wasn't as bad as everybody made it out to be, but it did gimp the game quite a bit.

As with any MMO it's as much about the community experience I guess. I was lucky to find me a kickin rad guild early on.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

randombattle posted:

With the implosion of Stella bellum I've given up entirely on ever playing Star Wars galaxies. It's just not gonna happen.

Well sure if you invest your hopes in a bunch of squabbling children doing legally questionable things.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

randombattle posted:

Oh so every group making a private server from now until the end of time?

SOE or what is now Disney I guess(?) had no problem with non-profit emu servers iirc. But when it comes to servers with straight up stolen source code I'm sure they'd take a dim view of it.

The core emu project seems to be run well enough these days but I guess that lot have no interest in running a live server once they're done.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Levarris posted:

Would you? In general what's left of the SWG community are the lowest common denominators of human detritus. It's like trying to run a school for children with autism, except all of the parents, teachers and support staff also have autism.

Begs the question why they are even bothering to continue at this point, really. I still enjoy playing, but I've no delusions that it'll never be as good as it was back in the live days simply because I'm not convinced there is a big enough server population to keep the game viable from both gameplay and financial perspectives.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

ISIS CURES TROONS posted:

You should play SWTOR, it's good.

Isn't it just another WoW clone with a Star Wars skin? That's how it was when I left it when it went f2p at least.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
The Repopulation is frequently mentioned as a spiritual successor to SWG but gently caress paying for software in alpha.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Levarris posted:

Without the Star Wars IP you just have a really bad game though. It's not like SWG ever really was a great game in it's own right. It actually always sucked, it was just that it delivered the chance to "live" in the Star Wars Universe that appealed to people.

If the same game was released for the Flash Gordon universe for example, it would probably have lasted a week, and went down in history as having the only game soundtrack composed by Queen.

I'm not sure whether your post is in reference to SWG or the Repop? Either way, if the Repop ends up being a good game people will play it, but in an age where WoW clones are menu du jour it'll never be hugely popular - much the same as SWG wasn't.

Alexander DeLarge posted:

Repopulation got acquired by the company its fans credit to its failure (the creators of Hero Engine). I'm expecting absolutely nothing, but I'd love to see it become something some day. Hopefully the original studio can put something interesting out now that they're not being bogged down with technology that was their only viable option back in 2009-2010 when they started the project.

Like Levarris said, without the Star Wars IP, it would've just been a deeply flawed sandbox.... But I can't help but wonder did the Star Wars IP hurt the game more than it helped? I know that sounds crazy but without all the oversight, maybe people would've been okay with "playing the moisture farmer" instead of Luke Skywalker or Han Solo. Maybe they wouldn't have spread the community too thin with as many planets as they did. Maybe they could've focused on improving the sandbox instead of turning it into something it clearly was never meant to be by competing with World of Warcraft. Most importantly, maybe it'd still be running and fill the niche that goes between Ultima Online and EVE.

Well yeah it hurt in the sense that LucasArts forced Sony to launch way too early and the game was nowhere near finished. Even silly stuff like 2D collision maps or broken skill trees. But it also helped because as Levarris rightly says it made people look past those flaws and tolerate them to a degree.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Goast posted:

It's kinda old so I'm sure some of you have read it, but Ralph Koster wrote a thing about early SWG development.

The whole thing really explains why SWG was the way it was.

Yeah it's a really good insight to how drat good the game could've been if the developers had been left to do their thing, but also how the game would probably still be in development if the developers had been left to do their thing lol

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Peanut Butler posted:

a buddy of mine just gave me a few boxes full of his dad's CD-ROM games from circa 1999-2009- SWG Complete (or w/e) is in there, so I miiiight have to take it for a spin on a custom server

I haven't played an MMO in twenty years aside from Pirate Poker Simulator 2003 (some people call it Puzzle Pirates), so I don't think low server population is going to bother me or anything, but is there anything I should know in order to maximize fun units per hour?

Guild up and group would be my advice. This game doesn't drive people to do that enough, you can pretty easily solo most content.

Do the theme parks - they're quite good. First priority should be mastering some professions.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
I'd guess because the game does feel pretty incomplete without JTL, plus their goal has always been Pub 14 which included JTL. Either way I still really care and can't wait for Pub 9, let alone Suncrusher.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
I honestly don't get why you guys look at servers other than Basilisk right now. They're all run by puerile shitlords.

And yeah I know about the recent Mobyus drama with Basilisk, but tbh he's a loving shitlord who openly admits to living in his parents' basement so take that as you will.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
hmu gi'staak

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Archonex posted:

How far along in development is Basilisk?

SWG was literally my first MMO and it still ranks out as one of the most interesting takes on the MMO genre. It came out in that sweet spot when the genre was actually trying to push boundaries and make worlds instead of theme parks. Being able to lead an imperial squadron of AT-ST's and storm troopers and take that one Tatooine town that was always full of decced rebels again would be neat as gently caress.

A long old time. The Emu project has been around in one form or another since 2008 I think, but they didn't get their poo poo together until a while after that.

SWG broke me for MMOs, everything else just feels like it's on rails.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Pub9 will also have the Corvette too; good reason to get back online.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
poo poo. So the village grind starts tomorrow. I was not prepared for this.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Conskill posted:

My experience with SWG was purely NGE where I just hit "Jedi" as a class.

In terms of being a shameless laser-sword aficionado, is it actually fun and interesting to be a Jedi in the build they're using? I've heard horror stories of the holocron grind.

It depends on whether or not you can tolerate the grind. Some people found the holocron grind unbearable because it meant Jedi were unattainable to all but the most dedicated of players, others liked it because it meant there would be so few Jedi - don't forget the game is set during the GCW so it was canon that there were basically no Jedi and a big part of the game's early appeal was that there was no 'alpha class,' and you could live out your dreams as a moisture farmer or whatever.

I personally liked the village grind better. If you wanted to get to Jedi, you had a rough idea of how to get there, but it still required time and effort to do so. I've not really played since I got to glowie status a few months back as I've been waiting on Pub 9, so looking forward to getting stuck in again.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

Several days of down time expected , they may have to do a wipe due to hardware failure. I'd be fine with that, downtime sucks though.

Ouch, still no Jedi for a long time then.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
So, since a wipe is looking pretty likely, we up for banding together to grind up?

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
If the db tests are going as slowly as they claim, I'm skeptical we'll see Bas back up before the end of the weekend.

As cool as a wipe would be, it's not helpful in having the masses test the Pub 9 content. I'd wager there are a lot of people who stopped playing a while back because they've been waiting for Jedi and would come back - as many as there are people who will come back if there is a wipe.

I'm not fussed either way, but I get the impression the devs want to do everything they can to try and recover the databases before giving in to a wipe.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Not on my work hours it won't!

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

iamthehans posted:

well it looks like no wipe. The server is up is anyone coming back?

Every time the old man visits me my connection craps out for some reason.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Maybe we'll see an uptick over the weekend but I would've thought any significant resurgence in popularity will be down to JTL release or Suncrusher going live. Jedi is cool and all, but it's a pretty punishing grind on a server that is eventually going to go *poof*.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Seems to be daily server restarts too. Was nice to see Dathomir overrun with actual players yesterday though.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
What’s the difference between Legends and SWGEmu?

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Conskill posted:

Legends is like Stella Bellum, running NGE. It's (apparently?) pretty much feature complete.

SWGEmu and related servers are emulating the pre-NGE game. It is still lacking JTL.

Legends has gotten JTL figured out? Or is it just atmospheric space as in the latter days of live?

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

Is shipwright crafting active in the swgemu code?

I don't think so.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Frog Act posted:

I've probably put like 100+ hours in on this character and I'm still lovely and dumb and have no idea what I'm doing.

I feel like this should be the thread title.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Rand Ecliptic posted:

Since the OP doesn't answer this (I think), I have a couple newbie questions.

How long has this SWGEmu been around? And, honestly, is it worth playing at this point?

Is it a fact you need the original game discs?

The original SWGEmu project started as early as 2005, though they barely had anything beyond a login server working. In its current incarnation it's been around for a good few years. I've been a member of it since late 2007, which tallies with the Trials of Obi Wan release and subsequent NGE backlash. I don't think a usable client was available until a few years after that, but it is definitely the most established of the emulator projects.

It's worth playing if you have a nostalgia for the game in it's original implementation. If you've never played it, it is a bit marmite. It is a massively grindy game and you'd be starting in stagnant game economy. That's good for new players to quickly gear up, but not so good for new players who want to establish themselves. Fundamentally it is a brilliant, but very flawed game. 2D collision maps, a really clunky game engine and unfinished content will probably make anybody used to modern games uninstall it fairly quickly.

You are supposed to use the original discs if you're accessing an emulator legally, yes. It's because the emulator requires the original game's assets and not purchasing them is still considered piracy. Historically, you could pick up a copy of the game that you need inexpensively, though I haven't checked recently.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

SoUncool posted:

I've been having fun on Restoration III so far. CU combat with all the NGE content. There are bugs, and there are balance issues, but the developers seem active and the playerbase seems to be mostly ATK. Which I can't say the same for SWGEmu...

Resto 3 got me to reinstall and I'm really enjoying it too. CU was far and away my favourite SWG era so I'm hoping this one sticks around.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Burt posted:

Not going to lie, this is, once again, taking over my life!!!

Got my Arti/Ardc/Shipw crafting her little socks off and my Wook Fambaa tipping and I am loving every minute of it.

Need more slots though, I am desperate to get a CH and get one of those 10m tall Kliniks!!!

The curse of SWG. I must admit I'm losing a growing number of hours to it!!

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

site posted:

yeah i never saw them ever outright saying so but the dev gave off chud vibes, and got pretty mad if you ever questioned why they chose to use nude female texture mods on the server lol

lol Levarris was notorious during live for being a toxic rear end in a top hat and had a reputation for being kicked from every guild on his server. It tracks that he's now one of the mods on the swg subreddit.

GoGoGadget posted:

For me, CU was the sweet spot. Pre-CU was just "go Rifleman and target the mind pool"

Same. I sunk a few hours into Legends over the weekend to see if NGE had aged well and whilst the project they're running is technically impressive, I don't think it is an enjoyable to play.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
I just hope R3 doesn't evaporate like it's predeccessors. CU genuinely was the height of the game's combat mechanics, like why the gently caress would you want hour long duels between space karate people?

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

GoGoGadget posted:

Is there a goon guild on R3? Im gonna download it tonight

I think our best bet might be to infiltrate an existing guild for the time being, given the relatively small player base. Hit me up in game, Gi'staak Viko.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

GoGoGadget posted:

Does borderless windowed mode just not work? It still functions as fullscreen.

I tried adding you to my friends list, but nothing happened. I'm probably just not doing something correctly. My name is Sodie Pops ingame.

Looks like the friend system is borked, hence why the Discord is so active! My bad, but if you're game for doing some group content let's meet up!

As to looted armor always being junk, i think this is a deliberate design decision that absolutely was not the case on live because they're heavily leaning into the idea that crafters should always be the go to people for gear (I could well be wrong on this, but I'm just going on previous sentiment from the project leaders).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

SoUncool posted:

I think it's also the legacy quests. They can get really repetitive after a bit. There were only so many caves I could venture into before I felt like I was losing my mind. I eventually dumped that and joined a grind group. Made the experience more enjoyable, personally

The spider part of the legacy quest is the descent into madness. The questline was introduced over a series of publishes on live so it never felt as maddeningly boring as it does now when you can just do it start to finish.

Also the meatlumps theme park loving suuuuuucks.