Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

FireWhizzle posted:

I swear to Quahog, these damned brits think they can do anything after brexit. Ahdinko called me at 3am to start plotting the next great insurrection/takeover.

Double Oh Seven, 100% trustworthy new guy that wants militia and zoning rights in your city checking in. Also, can my bud Taylors Swift get the same? thanks.

Oh how eager I am to resurrect S*H*I*T*S.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

bad-yeti posted:

So is this the original with Creature handlers etc. Or the nerfed one where everyone became a Jedi?

The latter.

For the former, your best bet is swgemu's Basilisk server, which is just a snapshot of the game from the last patch prior to the "Combat Upgrade" (I think Patch 13?). Still in development though. Last time a bunch of goons played there was like three years ago and it was amazing, but I don't think we'll ever get numbers of people like that again until the "live" Suncrusher server is deployed. And I don't think Creature Handler / Droid Engineer were really enjoyably playable last time, but apparently the SWGEmu development has come quite a ways in those three years?

Then awhile back we all tried again on Bloodfin, which takes a more active development role in adding new features, but that was a flash in the pan for goons.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

bad-yeti posted:

SO you can start again as a creature handler? If it's a snapshot does that mean that it's got all the old buildings etc?

Will look that up, thank you.

Er, it has all the old cities and whatnot, yeah. The biggest feature that's still forthcoming for the "official" SWGEmu project (which this thread isn't about) is the Jump to Lightspeed expansion stuff.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

SWGEmu: basically the vanilla SWG experience. The devs have specifically said that they won't be adding any "new" content, rather restoring the game as it was, warts and all. This is basically playing the game as it existed in like 2004 or whenever.
Bloodfin: based on the same codebase, but with a dev team that is continuing development with new features/planets, and taking some of the better things about the NGE. I believe the project is plagued by politics though?
Stella Bellum: as far as I understand it, totally NGE. Not sure if the devs are going for a sort of museum mentality that SWGEmu has, or if they are also building new poo poo.

(Un?)fortunately I didn't play NGE so I don't know if Creature Handler is on Stella Bellum. I thought they removed a lot of those classes to simplify it down to soldier/pilot/smuggler/jedi, but I could be wrong.

Drone fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Dec 20, 2016

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Ahdinko posted:

I also have fond memories of JTL, I'd like to give that a shot again. I think they said for Stella Bellum there's a 7 character limit so you can have whatever you want, and IIRC pilot skills are trainable with other classes too so you can be a pilot bounty hunter mans. Didn't they have atmospheric flight near the end of SWG too?

I believe it was being developed right before cancellation and they just kinda activated it as-is, bugs and all. At least, from the video I saw of it (which was the GiantBomb stream the day the servers went offline).

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

2DCAT posted:

Even though I disliked NGE, it was still significantly better than SWTOR. I don't care what anyone says, but SWTOR will forever be garbage.

Look at this objectively wrong opinion.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Someone needs to resurrect that chill-as-gently caress saxophone playing Wookiee running on scripts outside of major starports and dispensing wisdom on passersby. That annoyed the piss out of RPer's on Basilisk.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

The concept is fine but the execution was a flaming shitpile.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

I thought a not insignificant portion of it came through packet sniffing? Or was that what people tried in vain to do during the last days of City of Heroes (but were ultimately unsuccessful, which is why there's no City of Heroes shard out there)?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Pretty much, yep.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Ahdinko posted:

I dont think it is, Basilisk is where we had our biggest goon population and probably the most hilarious stories, unfortunately that was like 2-3 years ago and it has not changed much since so theres nothing new to drag goons back there.

The invasion of Windsor is one of my more cherished gaming memories. For Quahog! :neverforget: :cryinggraul:

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Tai posted:

Was it twice or three times that Windsor got invaded? Can't remember.

I only remember the one big one, where our man on the inside (valiant hero "Taylors Swift") granted over a hundred goon characters housing permits in Windsor, and we had a massive tide of us running over from Goontown and plopping down houses immediately within city limits, then immediately voting Taylors Swift for mayor.

All the while shouting "FOR QUAHOG", effectively laying the blame on the biggest player city on the planet. And the pubbie founders of Windsor bought the ruse and posted a huge whiny thread on the SWGEmu forums about Quahog ruining their idyllic little town out in the Dantooine countryside.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Oh did they get Creature Handler and Droid Engineer working again?

Might make a comeback worth it just for that. Last time I played, those classes were implemented but you couldn't actually do poo poo with it. Droid Engineers were only around so people could use crafted droid chassis as in-house decorations (like our beloved R2-J4G in the Mantina).

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

They really should have just never implemented Jedi at all as a playable character type. But, whiny people need their glowy swords I guess.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Fuckit I'm reinstalling.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

If there were a wipe I'd have come back, but now, nah probably not.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Conskill posted:

As of Sunday afternoon the population is hovering near 1300 simultaneous, so definitely a Jedi bump. Rubberbanding and extreme lag spikes are still a thing, though.

So of that number, how many of those were buffbots or surveying alts running harvesting macros?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

I was one of the rare Master Docs who actually liked manually buffing in Coronet Medcenter. It was a nice social experience, what can I say. :shrug:

Got way more tips too.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Lando Kardashian posted:

So is anyone still playing on Basilisk? It could be fun to jump back into this casually.

I hovered my finger over the install button briefly yesterday while I had been drinking, but nothing came of it.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Today I went on a brief journey to some of my old haunts of yesteryear.

First I pulled out my map. Could it be that I once made my home on this spot? The most up-to-date map, purchased from a shuttleport kiosk at the Dantooine Mining Outpost, gave little indication that this was once the site of the glittering metropolis known as Goontown.

lol no Quahog, get hosed

Goontown. My Goontown. Now little more than a tumbleweed-filled ghost town in the rolling hills of Dantooine. Where once dozens of homes and thriving businesses had stood, there remained only a few persistent homesteaders:

Though the glory days of this city had long since passed, I quickly discovered that the heart and soul of what made this place great still lived on in those who remained:

To find out what happened to this city, I ventured first to what must have once been nucleus of the town. The Guild Hall is one of the few municipal buildings still standing. Its interior was warm, inviting, and impeccably designed, though the hallways echoed with the sound of neglect. Only the gentle hum of the crafting stations, likely long-since out of use, filled my ears.

holy poo poo Ahdinko I vividly remember designing this with you

I next turned to the town's hospital. It too, was devoid of life, inhabited only by a sole droid who seemed a bit too enthusiastic to perform a colonoscopy on me.

My final stop was the only building in town with the lights still on: the infamous Mantina. Its warm glow invited me in, and I soon discovered that I was not the only patron this evening. In fact, I met the face of an old friend: City Graul.

There was little for me to do. A washed up master dancer and musician, my day has long since passed in the spotlight. Now it is time to take to the stage and play an elegy for times lost, and for absent friends.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

It's entirely possible that the hospital is owned by my master doctor, but I won't get a chance to log in and check until tomorrow at the soonest.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

basic hitler posted:

that's a relief, but i'd still like to be able to administrate them, especially if the owners have no real intent of further use.

I am mostell in-game, but if you could notify me either through PM or by hopping on our discord and yelling at me there when you find out.

Yo uh what's the Discord link

Also someone should probably update the OP to stop spamming for Stella Bellum, if nobody's playing there.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Make sure you delete this ROM after 24 hours!!!

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Frog Act posted:

Basilisk was like 99% Imperial as well, I remember there being some specific reason (I think it was the summonable stormtroopers) because everyone did it over the rebel stuff despite it being like three times harder for aliens.

it's because the internet is full of nazis, sorry

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

The tape grind is real.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

The Goontown revival a few years ago on Basilisk is still one of my gaming highlights. Hopefully after SWGEmu hits 1.0 and Basilisk is replaced with Suncrusher there'll be another one.

Fond memories of a lucrative architecture/interior design business, and of chasing down unauthorized sharnaff hunters on Corellia as a member of S.H.I.T.S. And of course, who could forget the infamous Battle of Windsor and the Wag-The-Dogging of Quahog.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Burt posted:

Where can I get the base game from nowadays or do you no longer need to have a physical copy anymore? gently caress, I used to have like 20 sets of SWG disks at one point and they have all gradually been binned :(

:filez: works. Or you should be able to get the discs on eBay.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Anyone happen to have the 60 fps patch handy?

Reinstalling now because I can't resist the nostalgia.

Edit: actually come to think of it, is there an actual mechanical reason why Coronet is always the de facto server capital city? Or is that just more tradition than anything else? (and probably asking too much, but any patch that supports 2560x1440?)

Drone fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Feb 21, 2021

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Since I reinstalled for Sabre, I took the liberty of quickly connecting to Basilisk just to see what's still around.

Goontown is a shadow of the shadow of its former self that I posted last time. Goon Hall and City Hall are both gone, there are just a smattering of houses whose owners must have dumped decades worth of maintenance into, as well as the Mantina (City Graul sends his regards, he's lookin' good but lonely).

I took the liberty of renaming the medical center, which is also still around since PlasticPal (I assume?) pumped a poo poo ton of maint into it years and years ago. Some things have changed around SA since the days of St. Lowtax's Memorial Hospital:

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

I was in a similar boat. My parents' PC was a piece of poo poo and we didn't have a ton of cash, so an online buddy (from a Star Wars MUD no less) put together a list of parts for a super barebones, cheap gaming PC, and then he mailed me his old graphics card (from across the Atlantic no less) to help keep it affordable for my dumb 15 year old self.

Bought the game at launch day, remember having massive issues connecting because it was an MMO on launch day, but I was still hooked for the rest of that summer. It was my first MMO and there wasn't really anything quite like it.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Holy hell, they actually did a new server that isn't Suncrusher?

Buffbotting seems to be a bit nerfed per those rules, but not necessarily in a way that would inhibit it from still happening. Might be tempted to get back into it.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Mux posted:

Community feels really active right now since most of the ents and docs are at the keyboard talking to people again like on live.

This owns. Very fun memories (even at the beginning of Basilisk) of manually botting in Coronet med center and just shooting the poo poo with people.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Ugh I'm getting the urge again

Ahdinko and FireWhizzle, where my crew at

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Ugh alright I'm back in it. Rolling my old fallback rifleman/ranger, gonna gently caress around around Mos Eisley or something.

Where's the de facto capital hub on Finalizer, Coronet City or Mos Eisley?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Assuming my main is Rifle/Ranger, what's a good secondary character with skill synergies?

I mean of course I will be eternally happy with my old Doctor/Tailor build just because I love the live-social aspect of it (and also holy poo poo does this new server scratch that itch... imagine, live non-bot buffing! in TYOOL 2021! I love it), but I kind of want to try something different.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Basilisk was finally retired. RIP to the bones of Goontown.

Legit shocked that the Mantina had like a decade's worth of maint pumped into it at some point.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

I've been casually chilling with a group of pubbies on Finalizer now and haven't run into anything weird or problematic in our city chat (New Hope City on Tat). Generally it's all been pretty chill.

YMMV though I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

The memories :allears: