Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012

That's right folks, it's time for the official 2017 Something Awful Baldur's Gate Ironman Challenge! It is here that true heroes will compete for honor, glory, and the chance to not be killed by wildlife at level 1. So sharpen your swords, review your spell book, and roll those stat dice 200 times because Ironman is here!

Hall of Heroes

Current Adventurers:
Aeneas II the Ironling Kensai has killed Kangaxx the Demi-Lich.
Verdant Sapphire the Cleric/Mage successfully infiltrated the Bandit Camp.
Gaston Thunderburp the Ironling-Siege Breaker Fighter/Illusionist has reached the Underdark in pursuit of Irenicus.
Wizalf-Aelf the Fighter/Mage and her two friends is farming ankhegs for exp.
Rogal the Ironling-Siege Breaker Shaman and her party of miscreants have murdered their way to Spellhold.
Alyssa the Ironling Sorceress walked into Irenicus's trap and is currently making her escape from the Asylum.
Ororo the Ironling-Siege Breaker Priestess of Talos is heading to Athkatla.
Philon Grumpleton the Illusionist prepares to head into the Cloakwood Forest.
Violet the Ironling Blade is completing side-quests and killing beholders with bees.
An un-named Beastmaster has killed Davaeorn and is wandering around the wilderness.
Lizardmen Confirmed the Dragon Disciple has slaughtered all the bandits at the Bandit Camp.
Comstar is Back the Barbarian/Mage begins his epic adventure.

The Honored Dead:
This space reserved for cheesetriangles' nameless predecessors to Sueil the Sorceror.
Aeneas the Kensai watched Jaheira shatter into thousands of tiny pieces outside the Cloakwood Mines and lost all desire to continue.
Sueil the Sorcerer died outside the Cloakwood Mines.
That group of Wild Mages was killed by a one-two punch of the Mad Cleric Bassilus, and a Red Wizard hunting Wild Mages in Beregost.
Dozer the Fighter/Mage fell victim to Dire Charm and was never seen again.
Bran the Fighter/Mage was killed by Zordral and his Acid Arrows.
Juliet the Sorceress was killed by Tazok's goons in the Bandit Camp.
Tomoko the Fighter/Cleric was killed by a winter wolf near Nashkel.
Kala the Ironling Sorceress died in the Planar Prison.
Halv'Aelf the Fighter/Mage was maced to death by an Ogre.
Wild Mages Group 2 were killed by a pair of lightning bolts cast by Silke, Thespian extraordinaire.
Logan the Shapeshifter was chunked by Tazok and Sarevok in the Temple of Bhaal.
Vanz the Shaman was killed in Durlag's Tower by devious dopplegangers.
Shalla the Archer was terminated by Tarnesh.
Bart I the Fighter was eaten by spiders in Beregost.
Sane the Wizard Slayer pissed off everyone in Candlekeep and was killed by Gorion.
Ruslan the Ironling Priest of Tyr was killed by a hard hitting Bronze Sentry.
Ryminia the Sorceress was killed by Xvarts.
Arachnophobic Aaron the Beastmaster was ambushed and killed by a green dragon and some greater wyverns.
Mercurius the Wild Mage was unholy blighted by Mulahey.
Scandale the Illusionist/Thief was dissolved by ankheg acid.
Quinn the Thief was sliced in half by a gnoll.
Gwilgax the Illusionist/Thief was also dissolved by ankheg acid.
Orc-Dave the Swashbuckler was killed by Angelo and Sarevok in the Temple of Bhaal.
Minerva the Ironling-Siege Breaker Dwarven Defender was killed by her own hubris while attempting to underflow her charisma.
Comstar goes First the Barbarian Ranger was paralysed and eaten by a pack of ghouls near the ruins of Ulcaster.
Kösem the Ironling Fighter/Cleric was killed by a pair of vampiric wraiths while exploring Watcher's Keep.
Yolanda the Ironling-Siege Breaker Wizard Slayer/Thief was killed by Improved Ilyich in Irenicus's Dungeon.
HULK the Barbarian was smashed while attempting Neera's quest.

The Victorious:
Aeneas II the Kensai has killed Sarevok!
Honours: Honourable Trader, Ironling, Librarian, Purist, Strategist
Kala the Sorceress used tricks and traps to kill Sarevok!
Honours: Honourable Trader, Ironling, Purist - Dishonours: Don't Hurt Me
Arachnophobic Aaron the Beastmaster beat Sarevok to death with clubs!
Honours: Battlemaster, Honourable Trader, Ironling, Overcoming Adversity, Purist, Roleplayer
Alyssa the Sorceress killed Sarevok without any help at all!
Honours: A God Among Men, Iron Party, Ironling, Purist, Roleplayer
Kösem the Fighter/Cleric thrashed Sarevok with magic!
Honours: Honourable Trader, Ironling, Purist
Ruslan the Priest of Tyr was victorious in his tense fight against Sarevok!
Honours: Battlemaster, Born Hero, Honourable Trader, Ironling, Librarian, Purist, Roleplayer, Trap Dodger
Ororo the Priestess of Talos easily beat Sarevok in a few rounds!
Honours: Battlemaster, Honourable Trader, Ironling, Librarian, Purist, Trap Dodger
Minerva the Dwarven Defender has successfully killed Sarevok!
Honours: Battlemaster, Honourable Trader, Ironling, Librarian, Trap Dodger
Ororo the Ironling Priestess of Talos went into hell and murdered a demon on their own turf!
Honours: Honourable Trader, Role Player, Siege Breaker
Gaston Thunderburp the Fighter/Illusionist thrashed Sarevok with his mighty axe!
Honours: Battlemaster, Double Damage, Honourable Trader, Ironling, Librarian, Trap Dodger
Violet the Blade and her party didn't even get hit against Sarevok!
Honours: Battlemaster, Honourable Trader, Ironling, Iron Party, Purist, Roleplayer, Swiss Valour Award
Rogal the Shaman has committed fratricide!
Honours: Ironling, Librarian, Purist, Trap Dodger
Minerva the Ironling Dwarven Defender wandered into hell and ended the Argent Crusade!
Honours: Blind Faith, Honourable Trader, Siege Breaker
Rogal the Ironling Shaman walked right into hell and murdered a demon!
Honours: Blind Faith, Honourable Trader, Purist, Siege Breaker
Gaston Thunderburp the Ironling Fighter/Illusionist killed Belhifet all by himself!
Honours: Blind Faith, Double Damage, Honourable Trader, Siege Breaker
Yolanda the Wizard Slayer killed Sarevok and all his lackeys!
Honours: Battlemaster, Honourable Trader, Ironling, Librarian, Overcoming Adversity, Trap Dodger
Yolanda the Ironling Wizard Slayer/Thief took her party into hell and killed Belhifet!
Honours: Honourable Trader, Iron Party, Overcoming Adversity, Siege Breaker

Bench Warmers
The following adventurers have not been updated in a while, and are hereforth temporarily banished to Limbo until such time as they make a reappearance.

Official Melicamp Death Counter: :henget:
Melicamp has survived 9 times
Melicamp has died 14 times

biscuits and crazy fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jan 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
FAQ

Q: What exactly are the rules for an Ironman run?

A: An Ironman run is simple. You do not load the game for any purpose other than continuing where you left off, or in the event of a bug/crash. If you are killed or if you load for any other reason, the Ironman run is over. Re-rolling stat during character creation is allowed.

Q: Spoilers?

A: Yes, this thread is full on spoilers. This is an Ironman thread, so it's assumed that everyone has probably played the Baldur's Gate series at least once or twice already. No spoiler tags are necessary.

Q: Is it ok if I narrate my run like a regular Let's Play?

A: This usually ends up being case specific. Obviously we don't want 20 people doing overlapping play by plays of their whole game. However, if you think you can write a solid humorous/dramatic narrative then give it a shot. If people like it, you can continue. If not, you can stop.

You can also stream your ironman run and link it here. If you do, please at least post highlights and milestones in the thread if you want me to officially record your progress.

Q: Are there any rules as to difficulty level/mods?

A: No. You may play on any difficulty or with whatever mods you want. However, if you play on lower than "core rules" or if you use content mods which add OP items or something, then everyone will think you're a big baby.

Q: Is this a competition? Is there any verification process?

A: Not really, and no. There is no prize or prestige to be won besides nerd-cred, and progress is reported purely on the honor system (verification being 100% impractical). However, if you lie about your Ironman run you will have to live with the fact that you are a poopy head. If someone has a truly epic run I may issue an award in the form of a forum upgrade/new avatar. This is an entirely non-binding offer and completely dependent upon my subjective judgment.

Q: Do I have to start in BG1?

A: No. You can start at any point you want. However, there is definitely more nerd-cred in starting at BG1, and I will not include anyone who starts at ToB in the Hall of Honor (cause that's for babies).

Q: How do I set up custom portraits?

A: The measurements for player portraits are 38X60 pixels for the smaller portraits (8-bit color runs faster but it can be up to 24 bit color), and 110X170 pixels for the larger portraits. To use a custom portrait, place it in the Portraits directory (in the install directory for the game) and add an S to the end of the small portrait name and an L to the end of the large portrait - otherwise the two names must be identical. The names must be 1-7 letters long, maximum - so the filename with the S or L added to the end is no longer than 8 total characters. The portrait files must be in BMP format.

For example:
XXXXXXXS.bmp for small (38x60, 8-bit)
XXXXXXXL.bmp for large (110x170, 24-bit)

For the Enhanced Editions, the measurements for player portraits are 210x330 pixels. Portraits are automatically resized by the game, so you don't need to make small and large versions of the same portrait. (If downloading a portrait pack with multiple sizes of the same portrait, keep the largest one.) The portrait files must be in BMP format. The Portraits folder must be created in the game directory found in "My Documents." The file name cannot exceed 8 characters.

Other Info and Links

When registering a character please include the name, class, and a screenshot of the character sheet upon creation (the Print Screen button will take a screenshot and deposit it in your Baldur's Gate folder). Irfanview of course is also an easy alternative.

This thread is screenshot friendly! Feel free to post a screenshot or string of screenshots if you want to share an epic battle, a humorous development, or whatever else as long as it's interesting (if you just post eight screens of noober dialogue you will get yelled at). However, please use [timg] tags if you're posting large images.

In the next section is a list of honors to be competed for (if you care) and dishonors to avoid (unless you don't give a poo poo). These are purely for amusement and you may strive for or ignore them as much as you desire.

Characters who complete an Ironman run (any portion) will be moved to the Hall of Honor, and any honors they earned will be listed.

Note to all adventurers: If this thread gets going in full it is possible I will occasionally miss posted updates about characters. When posting an update for your character, please include his/her name and class in bold. For example, Garrick the Assassin completed BG1. Also, if you post updates like "Kornak the Barbarian" has cleared the Nashkel mines, I will update your status accordingly.

Main Baldur's Gate thread is over here.

Some custom portraits here: http://www.kirith.com/

The main modding sites for you to start with are:

Gibberlings 3
Spellhold Studios
Pocket Plane Group

List of mods we like:
*ToBEx - Hardcode hacks to change things normal mods can't.
Assassinations - Extra content, especially for the Evil characters.
BG1 Unfinished Business - Restoring cut content for BG1.
Unfinished Business - Restoring cut content for BG2.
Almateria's Restoration Project - goon-made mod to restore even more BG2 cut content.
SCS - AI and challenge mod for both BG1 and BG2. Requires hotfixes (Already applied on the download on that page) to work on current versions of the Enhanced Editions of BG1 and BG2
BG2 Tweakpack - Options for changing your game galore.
Rogue Rebalancing - Changes Thieves and Bards to be more like in PnP, adds extra items for Rogues, and adds a very challenging and optional encounter to BG2.
aTweaks - Tweaks various creatures, including demons and elementals to be more like in PnP. Also has a wide variety of other tweaks not found in other tweak packs.

*Not EE-compatible.
:siren:Modmerge is required to mod the Steam and Gog versions of BG:EE with the Siege of Dragonspear expansion.:siren:

This list is missing a few entries compared to last year since some of the links were broken. Feel free to post any mods you think should be added here.

Note: All honors on this page are purely for entertainment purposes and in some cases to give veteran players something new to try for. Feel free to ignore these completely if you think they are dumb.

Ironling: Complete Baldur's Gate 1

Siege Breaker: Complete the Siege of Dragonspear expansion (requires Ironling)

Ironman: Complete Baldur's Gate 2 (requires Ironling, does not require Siege Breaker)

Irongod: Complete Throne of Bhaal (requires Ironman)

Strategist: Complete Baldur's Gate 1 with the Sword Coast Stratagems mod.

Tactician: Complete Baldur's Gate 2 with either the Sword Coast Stratagems or the Tactics mod.

Born Hero: Do not reroll your stats during character creation, take the first set given to you (redistribution is ok).

Purist: Do not use any mods that add/modify content (except Tutu, Ascension, SCS, or Tactics), do not create extra characters for your party, do not modify existing NPCs (convenience mods like infinite stacks ok).

Double Damage: Complete the game on Insane difficulty.

Legacy of Bhaal: Complete the game on Legacy of Bhaal difficulty.

Overcoming Adversity: Complete the game as a Wizard Slayer, Shapeshifter, Beastmaster, or non-Blade Bard (requires Purist).

Librarian: Find every stat tome in Baldur's Gate 1.

Trap Dodger: Complete Durlag's Tower.

Melee Champion: Complete Baldur's Gate 1 without member of your party ever using any missile weapons.

Conan the Bhaalspawn: Complete the game without ever having an arcane spellcaster in the party

Honorable Trader: Do not steal any wares from merchants.

Iron Party: Do not resurrect any dead party members (stone to flesh and freedom allowed) OR never have a party member fall in battle. Exception: Getting killed and revived by Shoal the Nereid does not invalidate this honour.

Battlemaster: Kill Sarevok in Baldur's Gate 1 without summoning any creatures or laying any traps.

Blind Faith: Complete the Siege of Dragonspear expansion without having played it before.

Dragon Slayer: Kill Firkraag, the Shadow Dragon, the Black Dragon at Suldanessellar, the Silver Dragon, and the Dragon in the underworld.

Helm's Champion: Kill Saladrex and Demogorgon in Watcher's Keep

Gaxkang's a Wuss: Kill Kangaxx.

Legendary Arms: Acquire the Equalizer, Crom Faeyr, The Wave, The Silver Sword, and the Short Bow of Gesen.

Swiss Valor Award: Complete the game with only neutral aligned characters in the party (lawful, true, or chaotic, must have at least 4 characters, requires purist).

Roleplayer: Do not have a good aligned character and an evil aligned character in the party at the same time (includes PC, requires purist).

Leader of the Underdogs: Complete Baldur's Gate 2 or Throne of Bhaal with a full party of six without using Aerie, Keldorn, Edwin, or Haer'Dalis. {requires purist).

A God Among Men: Complete the game alone. Do not remove or modify the level cap (requires purist).

OP-ium Addict: Play as a Kensai/Mage, Kensai/Thief, Berserker/Cleric or Cleric/Mage

Scroll of Wuss: Use a scroll of Protection from Undead or Magic when fighting a lich, demi-lich or vampire.

Don't Hurt Me!: Play the game on a difficulty lower than Core Rules.

Note: Any honors that restrict choice of party members in any way (class, alignment, or anything else) do not apply inside Irenicus' dungeon in Baldur's Gate 2. You may use anyone you want while inside it, but will have to boot the appropriate people once you reach Waukeen's Promenade.

Note: Any honors/dishonors which do not apply to a specific game in the series can apply to any. For example, Double Damage can apply to any game in the series, and you can earn it up to four times if you go all the way From BG1 through ToB.

Thanks to Gutrot for all the wonderful badges.

biscuits and crazy fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Dec 13, 2016

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Aw, is it that time already? These threads are always fun to read, wish I had my CDs with me.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Oh good, you brought back the Melicamp death counter.

Anyway, I had a bunch of dumb gimmick run ideas but since I want to attempt the blind SoD challenge I've decided to go with an actual serious and decent character first. So here goes with:

Bran the Fighter/Mage

Born Hero stats, I got relatively good roll. Starting spells are Shield and Sleep, hoping Shield will save me from Tarnesh. Specializing in long swords since elves get a bonus to those.

After the tutorial, the Candlekeep wolf lies dead at my feet.

Turns out Shield wasn't so necessary since Imoen snipes Tarnesh before he can cast much of anything. He drops some useful scrolls for Bran. (Also after this I figure out how to turn off the ugly HP bars).

Jaheira and Khalid join the party and we clear out that house full of spiders in Beregost.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Sueil the Elven Sorcerer enters the Fray

This is actually my 5th or 6th character of 2017 the others all died before the thread went up.

I rerolled a bunch

I forgot to take a screenshot before hitting complete character.

Chicken dies.

Our hero is currently level 4 getting there solo and then recruiting Khalid (Automatically level to 4) Jaheria (Automatically leveled to 3/3) and Imoen (stuck at level 1 sadly). Notable quests completed: Umberlee priest girl, Marl in the inn, Firebeard, Rufie the "dog", Half Ogres by the lake, Barge the mad guard captain, and maybe some others I don't remember.

Big Sean
Jan 18, 2010
I'm playing with a Halfling Kesai Aeneas II, who has just entered BG2 after defeating Sarevok. Mods are SCS and Ascension.

I have so far learned that item imports are required to be on Gorion's Ward, which I did not know! Goodbye Golden Pantaloons, you were too beautiful for this world.

I think Kensai can actually wear the BMU, so this would have been a good run to get it. Although I'm not sure I would have actually used it in battle.

Aeneas II's predecessor failed outside the Cloakwood mine, wherein a combination of confusion, petrification from a chromatic orb, and a fireball shattered Jaheira. As I always bring Jaheira through the entire saga, that was a run ender for me.

Party in BG1 was Kensai, Jaheira, Khalid, Viccy, Coran and Imoen.

BG2 will be Kensai, Jahiera, Haerdalis, Viccy, Imoen, Aerie. Planning on using Jan or Yoshimo until we get Imoen back.

I considered using Edwin w/ Jan instead of Imoen with Haer'dalis, but decided against it. I am very worried about my shortage of level 9 arcane spells though (only available by Imoen, a pure mage with a limited book, until near the end of ToB when we will get one or two more from Aerie).

Taking Ed would fix that, but then I wouldn't have a decent arcane warrior, which I felt was worse. I considered using Jan in that role, but his hps are so low I think I'll try that another run.

Looking forward to giving Aerie Vecna + AoP, which I've never done.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Sueil the Sorcerer Has cleared Nashkel mines.

After that the party picked up Ajantis and killed the guy in the inn room who's name I forget.

Going after the constitution tome proved more tricky because I could only afford one potion of magic blocking. I tried a potion of invulnerability on Khalid to give him +5 to all his saves but it didn't prevent him from getting charmed twice and nearly leading to disaster with the entire party dead. Thankfully we avoided any person dying. Somehow we only killed 1 siren in the first group and the rest despawned? :iiam:

Orrfieldmedic
Oct 15, 2012
It Begins.

Still need to figure out what stupid name to call this group.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

6 Wild mages....

Go with god man.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
Well, I couldn't get SCS to install at all, even with the Modmerge tool. So, with that in mind, I think I'll play all my attempts this year on Insane difficulty, to compensate somewhat for the reduced difficulty of BG and BG II without SCS.

I don't think its possible to beat last years run though. (Solo Berserker/Cleric with full SCS) Dostngosp Teachevils turned into an absolute death machine in BG2, netting almost 5,700 kills in total over both games.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
This is the best OP I think I've ever come across, and it's seriously making me want to try my hand at this.

Big Sean
Jan 18, 2010
Biscuits, I saw you added Aeneas II to the OP. Thanks!

My (dis)honors in BG1 were:

Honorable trader; although there is hardly anything stealable in BG1 so maybe that should be a BG2 only honor
Librarian; although we turned one of the wisdom tomes in per the quest and didn't consume it
purist
strategist
ironling

Melicamp didn't make it in either Aeneas or Aeneas II's runs.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Sueil died outside cloakwood mines.

Orrfieldmedic
Oct 15, 2012
Dear Red Wizard at the start of Neera's questline.

Oneshotting me with that flaming arrow wasn't very nice of you. I was still annoyed after finding out that aoe heal was on the wild surge chart when facing the assassin in the inn when I almost had him killed, even after his weapon broke making it so I couldn't die to him. I had also lost half my mages killing that cleric outside of town, and almost more to random wolves trying to get some chicken. So when I triggered your encounter on my way to the temple to resurrect a bunch of dead mages, it was accidental. While it was nice of you to stand there as I ran away with your guards chasing me, and them killing Neera for me so I could get that nice gem bag from here, they did kill one of my party members.

So when I wish for you to die in a sea of flames, please understand I was so hoping for my death to have been from armor or protection from petrify wildsurging into a fireball centered on self when I went hunting basilisks for large amounts of experience. Please enjoy your loot of a truckload of throwing daggers, sling bullets, darts, assorted potions I got from killing other npcs that can join your party, and a talking chicken.

Wishing you burn in a sea of fire, That group of wildmages.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Dozer the Fighter/mage sets out.

Nice Str roll.

Nothing unusual

Dead chicken.

Then dead Dozer. Turns out the potion you can steal in candlekeep that says it protects against charm doesn't protect against direcharm. I feel like that's kinda bullshit.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Bran the Fighter/Mage is dead!

I went down to Nashkel to add Branwen to my party. Thought I'd be clever and have her cast Remove Fear on the party so I could fight that one hostage-taking wizard in one of the carnival tents, but even though I resisted his Horror spell, he concentrated his attack spells on Bran and she died from Melf's Acid Arrow.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Verdant Sapphire the Cleric/Mage is going to be taking a stab at this.

Installed a few mods, most notably Stratagems, Dragonspear UI++, Isra and Valerie.

In retrospect Valerie will probably not join the party though since I'm editing some classes/kits with NPC EE and EEKeeper. Neera is coming along as a Wild Sorcerer instead. In addition Imoen is now a mage/thief multiclass and Viconia is now a fighter/cleric multiclass with her abilities shuffled around.

This is actually my first time playing through SoD so hopefully that won't go horrible on me and I can get that shiny Blind Faith honour. So part of not having played SoD was never having actually used Dragonspear UI++ before either. I was a little suprised when starting that it included Point Buy as an Ability option. This is relevant to me mostly because I originally wrote that mod. Pretty sure its in Dragonspear UI++ because I gave permission to another mod author to include it as one of their options for Ability autoroll cheats and then that got rolled into Dragonspear UI++. Anway I made that option so I'm going to use it, setting that to 85 because rolling for good stats is boring.

And so:

First real hurdle I'm anticipating: Tarnesh. I'm starting with a Cleric/Mage not exactly a class known for its ability to take a hit at level 1 and I didn't bring along anyone but Imoen to the Friendly Arm. So I'm going for maximum preperation, cast bless before the fight starts and have Command ready to go. Open the fight with Imoen using her wand of Magic Missiles, etc:

Oh. Okay. Alright then, nevermind.

One final note for this update, I'm playing this on steam so for the first time in my life I can earn Achievements for Baldurs Gate, now I didn't check but something tells me I'm going to needs these sometime in the future:

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Alright, let's try this again. I usually know BG1 like the back of my hand so I'm embarrassed at my early death, time to punish myself with:

Arachnophobic Aaron the Beastmaster

What a wet fart of a class Beastmaster is. I'm pretty much going to use him as a poor man's Archer, though he can dual-wield clubs in melee if necessary.

At the Friendly Arm, looking for any advantage I can get against Tarnesh, I try to charm a cow to fight for me. It works, but sadly cows are immobile.

I beat him easily anyway with a little help from my fairy dragon familiar. This is probably the only time the familiar will appear outside of Arachnophobic Aaron's inventory. I decide to skip Jaheira and Khalid this time, instead going north to recruit Ajantis before heading down to Nashkel.

I get revenge on Zordral for killing Bran.

And after recruiting Minsc and Dynaheir I finally take out Neira so I can actually use the Nashkel inn instead of sleeping on the carnival grounds. I lured her outside because I have a bad history of having her cast Rigid Thinking on my party, causing someone (usually Minsc) to go on a berserk killing spree inside the inn and destroying my reputation. Can't risk getting Fallen Ranger status, y'know. My reputation is already a little bad for murdering Algernon for his cloak.

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009
After rerolling a few characters this weekend I think it's time to begin reporting or I'll burn out...

Introducing Juliet the Sorcere(ss?)r straight out of scenariogenerator.net Candlekeep:

82 point natural born heroine, I'm hopeful for this.

I'm not unfamiliar with mages so I know Shield is a must, specially at the beginning since it makes the Tranzig fight so much easier:

However I'm enjoing spamming Spook so much, it makes single big targets like Ogrillions and Ogres a non issue most of the time.

I've never chosen to give this guy any money before, since it said ALL your money, but I had only a few coins left after stocking up on potions and said why the hell not? I enjoy some roleplay in my runs though I'm still figuring out what to do with CN without resorting to lol random crap.

Wand of Lightning makes short work of the Vampiric Wolves and Imoen leveled up twice.

And Rasaad clamis the dubious honour to be the first casualty. To one of those knuckleheads nonetheless.

Anyway, he didn't get chunked and I intend to carry him along since I've yet to see any of his content.

Next stop... Gauntlets of- rescuing Dynaheir and send her and Minsc on their way. Wherever that is.

SnakeF
Jun 4, 2013
Figured I'd join this with a character entirely created using random number generators. So far Tomoko the Half Elf Fighter/Cleric has killed Dynaheir and Minsc in the Gnoll Stronghold, had Neera die whilst trying to recruit her and lost her entire party to the bitch in Nashkel Inn.

List of NPCs permanently lost to Tomoko:
Xzar
Montaron
Neera
Jaheira
Dynaheir
Minsc

Challenges Accepted:
Born Hero and Purist

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
It's ironman time, bubs!

Logan the shapeshifter begins his grand adventure. Look at those bitching stats. A roll of 77! It's honestly 2 more than what I expected to get.

Stats looking a little better now. For some reason BG1:EE lets you talk to people in werewolf form. Won't complain about it.

Shank and Carbos didn't stand a chance.

Having a STR of 19 is great because I can get a free potion of clarity. Who needs lockpicking?

The "gently caress you, die" ambush on the way to the Friendly Arm Inn. It has a 5% chance of happening, which is actually 100% when you're playing ironman. Xzar died immediately and Montaron ate an arrow but survived. Logan and Imoen took no damage.

Thanks Monty, you've served your purpose.

Felt like playing with the 2nd worst class wasn't hard enough, so I added a wild mage to the party. Welcome aboard, Neera! I only had to drink 3 potions to survive the fight you dragged me into no matter what dialogue options I chose.

Sleep is so useful, holy poo poo.

So is command! Hi, Branwen.

rear end in a top hat circus mage has way too much health.

Needed money so I went after Basilius. I used an oil of speed and the potion of clarity in case he saved against command (he did) so that Logan wouldn't be feebleminded. He the cast entangle because he apparently changed into a druid for round 2 then hold person because he changed back into a cleric for round 3. He died pretty soon after that. I used the correct dialogue choices but his undead buddies didn't die. At least they didn't aggro, because the run would have been over in a hurry.

First wild surge! Neera charmed Khalid! Which changed nothing at all because he's already on our side...?

Melicamp died because of course he did.

Oh hey, this is new. While this mini quest was in the original game, you didn't get any reward for it.

Every year I underestimate how dangerous Greywolf is. Jaheira has -5 AC and he could still hit her regularly just fine so I had to juggle aggro between her and Logan to buy the other time to drink a potion.

Anyway, reputation is maxed and everyone is (almost) level 3, so it's time to farm some ankhegs.

Gold spent to revive party members: 0
Wild surges: 1

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
Might as well enter my own attempt into the fray.

Gaston Thunderburp the Gnome Fighter/Illusionist begins his epic quest. I'll be doing a solo run as usual, and I'm also going for Blind Faith, on Insane difficulty. I've never played above Core Rules in the past, so I'm looking forward to a new challenge.

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Since I now have both the game on GOG and a Goon account, I may try this. Any tips I should know going in, or should I just roll stats and dive in right away?

GoneRampant fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Nov 29, 2016

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Just dive in and learn from your failures. Reading other posters' runs could be helpful, though. It gives you an idea of which encounters are considered significant enough to mention and where people tend to get killed.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
Depends how well you know the games.

More ankheg fun times with Logan the shapeshifter.

Got wild surge #2 on the way to the ankheg lair. Imoen was momentarily blinded, oh no!

In the ankheg lair just stay by the exit (in case you need to bail fast) and keep trying to rest. You have a 90something% chance to be interrupted it by a single ankheg. Kill it then repeat. You'll occasionally sneak in a successful rest to restore your sleep and command casts, but in case you run out, just return to the Friendly Arm area. Not the inn, just sleep outside there. It's 100% safe.

Branwen reached level 5 (for animate dead) at just about the same time I got thoroughly bored with the exercise. How many ankhegs did the ranger outside say you're allowed to kill? Like, a hundred, right?

Anyway, gave a priestess her bowl back, killed a bunch of zombies, etc.

Picked up my second ankheg armor at Thundersmithy.

Dropped some earthly druidic wisdom on my way to buy magic stuff at High Hedge.

I was going to embark on a coastal cleaning journey when I remembered there's something really important I should be doing (play more witcher 3) and decided to stop here for the day.

Wild surges: 2
Gold spent on revives: 0. Question: would having Shoal kill something then revive them violate the iron party honor?

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009
And Juliet the Sorceress falls!

The run was going smoothly and I got sloppy at Tazok's tent. I forgot to cast Remove Fear in advance (I had been saving up a scroll since I chose Mirror Image as first 2nd-level pick) and that was basically it.

Oh well... I'm still motivated enough to reroll tomorrow. I intend to go slower though. And I write this here to remind me to play less and stop procrastinating. :negative:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

GoneRampant posted:

Since I now have both the game on GOG and a Goon account, I may try this. Any tips I should know going in, or should I just roll stats and dive in right away?

If you're starting from BG1, give everyone ranged weapons, even if they don't have proficiency and run from everything while shooting them from a distance. Give a good look at the auto-pause settings and set that poo poo up, especially pause on enemy sighted, weapon ineffective and target unavailable(dead).

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
A new challenger, Minerva the Dwarven Defender, has entered the arena on Core Rules difficulty!

Rolled stats for about 2-3 minutes until I got bored. If I would've gone a bit longer I probably could've gotten higher stats, maybe even enough to get to 15 Int so I can survive three illithid hits after getting the tome, but :effort:, and I don't like having stats below 10 unless it fits the theme. I've played the poo poo out of BG1Tutu but I'm going through the SoD part blind. Let's get started then, shall we?

Carbos: Shanked.

Shank: Shanked.

Alright, let's blow this joint. :clint:

Tarnesh: Tarnished.

Grab Khalid and Jaheira, and we can head west to the first area of the Cloakwood that some mod or another opened up, I don't remember which. Tasloi shouldn't be too hard, right?

I was not expecting dread wolves oh god thankfully there was only one so we could kite it easily.

Karlat: Curtailed.

Take out a couple spiders (I forgot to get screenshots of the ogre) and we can head back north to make some deliveries.

Speaking of back north, apparently this fight is supposed to be sort of tough but I didn't find it too bad aside from Neera color spraying Khalid and Jaheira near the end, when only one dude was left anyway. Granted it probably helped that Khalid led off with a crit on the mage.

I had forgotten about these guys. They were actually kind of tough.

And with that, Minerva the Dwarven Defender has arrived at the carnival!

Big Sean
Jan 18, 2010
loving Faldorn keeps casting creeping doom as her first spell. I've never lost the druid duel before, and now I've lost twice in a row.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
To play it safe just have Cernd do it for you. He doesn't even have to be in the party and he wins in a few seconds.

Big Sean
Jan 18, 2010

Suspicious posted:

To play it safe just have Cernd do it for you. He doesn't even have to be in the party and he wins in a few seconds.

I have not tried this personally but I think it doesn't work in SCS and he just gets crushed.

Edit: just tried and he did not win. He also did not turn into a werewolf as I think he was supposed to...

Big Sean fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Nov 29, 2016

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
What even happens? Cernd just dies, then what? Faldorn stays boss and you can challenge her with another druid?

Big Sean
Jan 18, 2010

Suspicious posted:

What even happens? Cernd just dies, then what? Faldorn stays boss and you can challenge her with another druid?

He dies, and Faldorn says something rude. Jaheira can keep challenging her until she wins, as best I can tell.

Kind of cheesy that you can keep challenging her despite endless losses, but once you win she is gone forever.

Edit:

OK on further testing, I figured out the foolproof way to be beat her. The correct thing to do is to have Cernd fight her while not in the party, so she isn't her improved SCS version which prebuffs, etc. But you prebuff cernd with strength and spirit armor, and he will reliably beat her even in human form. I guess arguably this is an exploit as she doesn't pre-buff vs. cernd, but it does work reliably.

Come to think, one could probably add additional buffs by temporarily recruiting him, but not necessary.

Too late for this run though. I guess I'll come back when Jaheira has HLAs :D.

Big Sean fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Nov 29, 2016

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Arachnophobic Aaron the Beastmaster

+1 dead Melicamp

-1 Bassilus, +5000 gold

+1 Wolf, -1 Greywolf

-A whole bunch of basilisks, +a pile loot of loot from these random adventurers who were just chilling in field full of basilisks

+4 spi...oh god...

aaaaa

aaaaa

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

When we last left our heroes, Minerva the Dwarven Defender had just arrived at the carnival for some R&R.

Some brief shopping later to grab a couple important things, and we find ourselves face to face with some mage rear end in a top hat who thinks he's better than us.

Wrong.

Some idiot bounty hunter lady gets the same idea.

Wrong.

Oh, I guess this is where you get Dorn? I'd bumped into him at the Friendly Arm but he just told me to piss off. Well same to you buddy.

We manage to take out Greywolf with some assistance from our first mod-added NPC, Isra the paladin.

Welcome aboard! Sorry Minsc, I know we just met, but I've honestly never liked you very much. Truth be told I'm not a big fan of Neera either but non-rear end in a top hat mages are few and far between so whatever.

Isra wants to see what tf is up with the mines, so that works out nicely.

What works out less nicely is my hammers, two of which break in two consecutive fights. :mad:

Alright, y'all ready for this?

Hell yeah you are. :clint: A quick Horror spell from Neera makes cleaning up after Mulahey bites it a breeze. I went ahead and booted Imoen from the party just long enough to give Xan his fancy knife and send him on his way.

Of all things, three loving kobold commandos managed to jack up Khalid's face with some lucky hits.

And between them, Sendai and her brothers, and Vax and Zal (who were tougher than I remember), we're getting kind of rough, but we push on until the next area before our rest.

Which is good because there's a loving cave bear oh god

SINCE WHEN ARE BEARS THIS FAST

O... kay. That wasn't as bad as I remember them being. Moving right along.

And with that, it's time to free us a mage. Minerva the Dwarven Defender has reached the gnoll stronghold.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
Logan the shapeshifter cleans up the coast.

Imoen, noooo!

Uh Neera you weren't supposed to die. Normally the ogre mage casts lightning at my <charname> no matter what, this is the first time I can recall where he did not. Good bye iron party honor.

Wild surge #3. Logan being slowed was bad but it also affected most of the ogres as well, so no big deal.

Time to cheese sirines with skeletons.. wait, *one* skeleton "warrior"? That gets killed by 4 loving arrows? There's supposed to be more than 1 and they're supposed to only take 1 damage from missiles! Beamdog! :argh:

I'll just fight them straight up. How dangerous can they be? Very, it turns out.

Sil's group of sirines was mostly cheesed with offscreen fireballs.

With the tome of constitution and buckley's buckler, Logan now has 20 CON and (slowly) regenerates health.

Stopped by the xvart's village to kill the cursed item vendor because he drops a scroll of web. Turns out Mulahey's chest also has a scroll of web so this wasn't really necessary.

Wild surge #4: Neera inflicts spell casting failure on herself. Oh no.

God DAMMIT Imoen what do you mean 100% pickpocket wasn't enough to succeed?

Oh well it had to be done because I really want the ring of freedom. The reputation hit sucks, but that's what temples are there for. Also there's a bunch of reputation boosting quests I haven't turned in yet.

Here lies Mulahey. Held by a wand of paralyze and beaten to death before he could do anything.

Next up: eastern world map cleanup as I work my way north to the bandit camp.

Wild surge count: 4

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Tumblr of scotch posted:

SINCE WHEN ARE BEARS THIS FAST

Bears seem to be faster in the EE. I found this out the hard way when I failed to kite the polar bear on the way to the Gnoll Fortress and got both Ajantis and Minsc killed.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
Gaston Thunderburp has cautiously travelled the Coast Way and successfully reached Nashkel.

Reaching the Friendly Arm Inn, I first had to deal with everyone's favourite roadblock, Tarnesh. Being on Insane, I was never going to be able to tank Magic Missile spell from a level 5 mage with just 11 HP, so I had to come up with an alternative solution. A successful cast of Blindness caused him to completely ignore Gaston and turn his attention to killing one of the guards in melee combat. After the guard got him to "Near Death" (Which took a while, both were terrible fighters) I used the wand of magic missiles to finish him off. It took two uses of the wand, but it worked perfectly. I really doubt I'll ever kill him (Or anybody else for that matter) in such a cowardly fashion again, but, when it works, it works.

Normally, in a solo run I don't have the ability to use arcane magic so I immediately sell the ring of wizardry, since I can't use it. The 9,000 gold is such a huge early game boost that I never have to worry about cash again. This time however, I do have the ability to use it, so I had to keep it. It's simply too good not to.

Reaching Beregost, I killed Algernon for his cloak. The reputation hit is a little annoying, but I've still got just about every rep boosting quest still unfinished, so its not a problem in the long run.

This is also in Beregost, upstairs in the Burning Wizard. It's a lot less powerful than it used to be, (25% chance of stun for 1d4 rounds with no save) but its still a good weapon. However, Gaston has 2 pips each in axe and dagger respectively so I'm just going to sell it. Combined with the +1 bastard sword looted from the smithy, it will go some way to making up for not selling the ring of wizardry.

Upon reaching Nashkel, I looted the ankheg plate and decided to call it a day.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

biscuits and crazy posted:

This is also in Beregost, upstairs in the Burning Wizard. It's a lot less powerful than it used to be, (25% chance of stun for 1d4 rounds with no save) but its still a good weapon. However, Gaston has 2 pips each in axe and dagger respectively so I'm just going to sell it. Combined with the +1 bastard sword looted from the smithy, it will go some way to making up for not selling the ring of wizardry.
Wait, used to be? Was it in non-EE BG? Is there a weapon I've been missing out on all these years?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
No, it was added in the EE, the proc chance initially used to be 25% with no save but it was nerfed some patches ago.

• Locked thread