Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SnakeF
Jun 4, 2013
Tomoko the Fighter/Cleric was killed by a winter wolf just outside Nashkel whilst trying to get Dorn to spawn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
I keep Gorion's belt of antipodes in my inventory just for that possibility.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Oh it's that time of year again? I'll have to roll up something then. to fail miserably with

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Thing's quickly hit the shitter for Kala in the back half the the planar prison.

Then the worst happens.

Not having Keldorn cast true seeing before he got confused kinda hosed me.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Say hello to Halv'Aelf the Fighter/Mage!

I only had to re-roll a half dozen times before I hit 86 points, so she's in pretty good shape stats-wise. Double digit starting HP is nice.

Sitting outside the FAI at the moment learning how to take screenshots with Irfanview (had to go into window mode to get shots that weren't all black). Shank and Carbos were easy kills, we'll see if I can survive ol' run-ender coming up here...

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
Just press your print screen key. It will dump a bmp into your documents\BG:EE\ScrnShot folder. Then you use irfanview to batch convert them.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Tarnesh is dead.

Xzar is probably the only reason we survived. Aelf's sleep spell was resisted, but Xzar's Larloch's Minor Drain interrupted Tarnesh's spell casting, allowing Montaron and Aelf to get in close and make with the whacking. I'll try to remember that when they tempt me to use them as ablative armor.

With the Ring of Wizardry looted from this map and Tarnesh's Magic Missile and Burning Hands spells (both of which were sucessfully copied to Aelf's spellbook, thank you 18 Int) we're in good shape to start taking on Quests and clearing out the area south of the FAI.

Suspicious posted:

Just press your print screen key. It will dump a bmp into your documents\BG:EE\ScrnShot folder. Then you use irfanview to batch convert them.

Thanks. I'll probably stick with what I've already set up, since it was a minor pain to get working in the first place but is fairly easy to use now, but it'll come in handy for trying to screenshot things when the game won't let me go to the options menu to switch to windowed mode- like when if when IN THE EVENT THAT Aelf dies.

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009
Vanz the Shaman has arrived at the Bandit Camp.

After raiding the Gnoll fortress and waving Minsc and Dynaheir I returned to Nashkel and picked up Dorn on the way to the mines. Since everyone was already level 4/5 the mines were a breeze. The amazon party outside wasn't trouble either.

I only have a few screenshots of these past sessions but I've been running around the coast doing some sidequests and picking up the Con manual, in order to get 18 with Buckley's Buckler and be able to equip the Claw of Kazgaroth since the reason to make a half-orc wasn't to shoot arrows with a shortbow. Now I only need a good axe.

I didn't have much trouble with the Sirines so I don't really know how effective Spirit Ward is, but Writhing Fog at level 2 seems ok, and plays well after Entangle or comboing with Garrick's Stinking Cloud and Viconia's skelleton summons.

Also I've found Dorn is kind of a glass cannon, wrecks casters but currently has 1 less hit point than Garrick. :psyduck:

Barring a few Ogre hits, I'm feeling more comfortable with Viconia on point, since she has -4 AC at the moment, and I've had a bit of luck in her latest level up rolls (max HP on level up is off as it should be :smugdog:). Too bad Shamans can't use Ankheg armor.

Surprisingly they can use the ring from Mulahey and get one more daily cast per level but I gave it to Viconia since clerics get better use of it because of their larger spell pool.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

RickVoid posted:

Aelf dies.

No screenshot, but...

GAME OGRE

I take some solace in the fact that Khalid ate a facefull of mace before Aelf.

Note to self: WHEN YOU FIND AN INN, loving REST AND MEMORIZE YOUR SPELLS, rear end.

So what next... Hey, I know. Stop me if you've heard this one:

A Fighter-Mage

A Fighter-Thief

And a Fighter-Cleric

Walk into a Library...

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
Logan the shapeshifter ventures into Durlag's tower.

The upper floors are pretty boring. I cheesed the ghost by going up and down the stairs because he likes to cast confusion and I couldn't be bothered to rest to have Logan memorize chaotic command. Apparently the tome altar requires more than 100% in find traps to detrap? That's a new one to me. It's fortunate that I wasn't playing solo! I avoid the succubus like the plague because I honestly have no idea how to kill her reliably. When badly wounded, she keeps going ethereal to fully heal over and over again.

First basement. Logan managed to get himself cornered by 2 hasted greater doppelgangers. Things looked pretty grim until I remembered he was carrying a stack of potions of invisibility. They're run savers, people! Hoard them.

Warder battle. The inital salvo got rid of half of them, then a buffed Jaheira went in to tank Pride and Love... only to be reminded that Pride hits like a freight train. ~19 per hit? Ouch. Fortunately wand spam saved the day. Love is immune to magic, but he's otherwise very easily killed. He died in a single round of focused fire.

After clearing the first floor, I went back to the merchant outside to pawn some loot. On the way back to the tower entrance, 2 doppelgangers spawned from thin air and cornered Logan. Party AI was off and I wasn't paying attention. I almost lost the run in the most asinine of ways.

The second basement is either hell or a piece of cake. If you beeline to the exit and don't care about the loot, you only have to fight a handful of ghasts, and that's it. You don't even have to kill the 2 enemies in the second screenshot if you don't want to. I did because they're easy exp and in a convenient location.

I also took the path of least resistance for the third basement and summoned the 5 heroes to help fight the greater wyverns. The first one killed almost all of them by itself, but fortunately I remembered that they're only resistant, and not immune, to magic, so I wand spammed them to death. The chessboard fight was fireball spammed because gently caress that encounter, seriously. Still prepped with remove fear and 6 potions of absorption, just in case (the queen is a mage and casts horror first.)

The fourth basement is boring and easy so let's skip straight to the boss fight. Items granting free action on equip no longer protect against stun since the EE, so I adjusted my strategy to having the tank sneak up on the demonknight invisible and immediately start the fight by using a scroll of protection from magic. Unfortunately, he sees through invisibility and immediately aggroed. Combined with a moment of hesitation, his initial dispel magic hit half my party instead of just Jaheira. Fortunately she managed to get in his grill and read the scroll in time to eat the power word: stun, then it was only a matter of kiting while the archers did their job.

While casting invisibility prior to going back to Ulgoth's Beard (to avoid being blown up by the cultist thieves waiting in ambush), Neera had a wild surge that made my heart skip a beat. I thought it was a pit fiend, but no, it was just spell cast with +4 to saves. Why does it have the gating animation?!

Aec'Letec is the real final boss of BG1, but he's not too hard even if you don't cheese him as long as you buff the hell up with potions of magic shielding and anything else you can think of. That makes you immune to his silence, paralyze and death gaze. He loves to pick on weaker party members and finish them off even if you pull them away from him. What you can do is send injured characters back upstairs to heal and he won't follow them.

But he went down before Imoen finished retreating.

Wild surge count: 8
Gold spent on revives: 600

Orrfieldmedic
Oct 15, 2012
Did a second group of wild mages. Found out Ms. Silke had two castings of lighting bolt.

Wild Mages Group 2 died to a second lighting bolt after hitting level 2.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Say hello to Rogal the Shaman.

Just got Siege of Dragonspear installed for this run, doing that blind. Oh hey, new class! Let's see how this works.

Going for an evil-leaning run.

Livewire42
Oct 2, 2013

AJ_Impy posted:

Say hello to Rogal the Shaman.

Just got Siege of Dragonspear installed for this run, doing that blind. Oh hey, new class! Let's see how this works.

Going for an evil-leaning run.

Watch out for mind flayers

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Well it's time for yet another Sorc!

Alyssa The Sorceress enters the fray.

Got this on like my 3rd roll. Not bad at all.

My usual array of spells and profs.

Then I go and grind out xp for hours until I am at the level cap. Getting to level 6 involved poo poo like marl, firebeard, baskilisk, brage and the like. Then it was a lot of ankhegs until I was out of spells and back to friendly arm to rest. I decide my real problem all along was a party. Let's not have a party.

Mulahay oddly enough can't really deal with someone improved invisible and stoneskinned. In fact a lot of enemies in this game can't deal with them. Since the spell didn't exist in the original game none of the caster enemies know what to do at all and will usually stand there and do nothing while you kill them. A running theme it became during my run. Since you can't cast spells on people that are invisible their AI just breaks.

A close fight due to the melee dudes in the tent. I chug a bunch of potions before opening the chest to survive the lightning bolt trap.

I behaved like a dumbass here. I didn't fight well at all and was really close to dying numerous times. Thankfully a skull trap took out 4-5 guys in the main room and I just kited the rest of the people. I normally like to skull trap from off screen and the enemies won't attack you when you do it but I got to close and was on the same screen when I cast it so it was a hard fight.

Skull traps took care of the battle horrors that spawned since I had no way to disarm traps. A portion of protection from magic or whatever the one that blocks 5th level or lower spells made daveorn didn't really have any way of hurting me. I finish him off with some minute meteors.

This is a new one for me. The priestess wandered off to this little corner before I handed the book in and none of the other umberlee folks in the temple joined in. Off screen so they didn't aggro? Another NPC that cannot deal with someone invisible and attacking them and she stands there and let's me kill her.

After that I get the cure for the poison and Marek doesn't take a single action as I pelt him with magic missiles. Next stop Seven Suns and then Iron Throne.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Alyssa has defeated Sarevok!

Portion of Absorption deals with the lightning bolts but not the magic missiles.

Ring of Fire Protecton + Ring of Free Action easily deal with the spiders.

We get back to Duke Eltan and umm... I can't carry him. Thank You Beam Dog for letting me pickup items from far away then dropping them and repeating.

It takes several minutes real time to move this far.

I use the summoning wand to help me with the dopplegangers.

Boots of speed + oil of speed + potion of absorbtion means I only take 9 damage the entire maze while doing the entire thing invis and running over all the traps. I am too fast for fireballs to hit me and I take no damage from lightning bolts. Only damage was from a magic missile trap.

Skull Traps deal with with the majority of Sarveoks health. I summoned some monsters but they didn't really do anything at all. I never even saw Tazok or Angelo I don't know if I killed them or not. When the entangle or web or whatever is gone I take off my ring of free action and drink a potion of speed and just kite sarveok to death.

Honors: Ironling, Purist, Honorable Trader, Iron Party, Roleplayer, A God Among Men.

No dishonors this time! Yay.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Verdant Sapphire the Cleric/Mage

Quick update to document some pre-bandit camp assault activity, part one.

First up, Neeras sidequest. Up to the actual final encounter its trivial, in fact with some dialogue choices there is only two fights in the whole thing.

However the final encounter is actually a bit of a bitch, so using the power of knowing things ahead of time and dialogue triggers I cheat.

And the end result is still a bit of a clusterfuck, seriously i swear those bodyguards are scripted to just go for mages and never stop.

Time to clean up the western half of the sword coast. Starting with Bassilus, just as susceptable to Hold Person as everyone else, and thus trivial.

That'll give me the money to get the second set of Ankheg plate, lets go get some of that, find a corpse and liberate some good treasure all in one go.

Oh and appease the Bitch Queen or something.

Is this rush option new in EE ? I don't remember it existing.

Another ambush, another group destroyed by basic CC spells.

The Kozah Doomsayer, finally someone who can put up a fight, except for that part where "a fight" is about half Isra's hp.

The Con Tome goes to charname, setting her Con to a useless for a Cleric/Mage 17, its not like it'll carry over into BG2 on other party members anyway. Thats 2 tomes found.

Look at that map, all those quests finished, all that evil vanquished, monsters converted into XP.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Alyssa

We Clear out Irenicus Dungeon without any problems then I have everyone drop all their items on the ground once the cutscene is over. It takes a few trips to haul it all to adventure mart where I sell items like the helm of balduran and sword of chaos. Sorry I need the cash.

Once in chapter 2 I go and buy a magic license. It makes things a lot easier.

The slavers prove no problem at all and I don't take any damage from it. Sometimes the beast master can be a bit of a problem but not this time.

This was the early game fight I was most worried about. He uses protection from magic weapons and stone skin liberally and he can cast finger of death. The skeleton warriors take him out without any major issues. Finishing the thieves quest gives me the money for a robe of vecna.

I'm not actually sure if throwing aoe attacks would hurt the poisoned guy so I just spawn some skeletons.

I got tired of being weak so I get a belt of hill giant strength.

Mislead continues to be the most broken spell in the game as they die without ever fighting back at all. I needed the xp and money.

Skeletons still putting in work.

The gold from selling the items of the guys in the sewers gets us above 15k time to talk to Galen Bayle.

Chapter 3 which means Amulet of Power.

Mislead + potion of speed + staff of rynn let's me melee this dude to death.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
Gaston Thunderburp has cleared most of the wilderness maps.

With the helm of charm protection from unfinished business, Sirines are a breeze to deal with, going down easily to throwing daggers.

Borda's strategy of using magic missile against someone with shield proved to be somewhat flawed.

More powerful crowd control. I can make use of this.

Poison damage, like everything else, is doubled by playing on Insane. Note to self. Avoid phase spiders like the loving plague.

Still, its not all bad, I got a level from this encounter.

The doomsayer is immune to piercing damage, so I had to kill him in melee combat. Luckily he is vulnerable to blindness, and he only hit me once, albeit for nearly 30 damage.

2/8 tomes collected.

More sirines, dealt with by the same strategy as before.

Korax proved to be a capable distraction for Mutamin to waste his spells on. The basilisks couldn't do anything to Gaston, who had more than enough casts of protection from petrification to last exploring the entire area.

The wand of paralysis was instrumental in killing the group of adventurers on the basilisk map. 3 of them fell to its magic.

Lamalha's band suffered to wands as well, although the wand of sleep also knocked out the 2 ranged attackers. In SCS, this group are moved to ambush maps, although they only appear from chapter 3 onwards, and all four are immune to sleep.

Mirror image and melee combat dealt with the revenant in the tombs map. He's immune to non-magical weapons as far as I can tell, anyway, so the throwing daggers were useless here.

Narcillicus and his jellies were dealt with easily, throwing daggers killed the mage with ease, and closing in to melee range stopped the jellies from hitting me on anything other than a critical. Luckily, they didn't get one.

Gaston is now quite powerful, although he knows no level 4 spells, and if I remember correctly, won't until chapter 4.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
Logan the shapeshifter wraps up BG1.

Pull the wolves outside the shipwreck and slow them for an easier fight. Tank needs free action because there's a couple of vampiric wolves in the pack.

You can pull Karoug's entourage downstairs as he transforms to isolate him. Turns out he can even be wand paralyzed! Talk about easy. Learn something new every playthrough.

Guys I told you I'm a werewolf at last a dozen times already.

Mendas's buddy was paralyzed and chopped up by Khalid in a single round. Then the ion cannon was deployed on the big boss (wand of heaven x3).

Ice island only has one difficult encounter, the first one. Just go in invisible. Easy.

Just bulldozing through the rest of the ice dungeon.

That last excursion was enough to hit the exp cap. Time for Sarevok.

Semaj jumps ahead and dies instantly, as he always does.

Uh oh, Jaheira hit a web trap and failed her save. No problem, Sarevok's haste was dispelled AND he's slowed. Jaheira will save before she dies, and Sarevok too has to save vs the web trap AND the 3 darts of stunning per round from Logan.

Oh uh, guess not.

(insert death screen here)

RIP Logan, chunked by an invisible ninja Tazok who came out of nowhere. Or maybe it was Sarevok. Thought I took screenshots, but I guess not. I underbuffed and winged it for this fight, probably because I subconsciously didn't want to keep going. I could have easily avoided getting hosed over by the RNG by reequipping the ring of freedom on Jaheira when she triggered the web trap. She didn't need haste to kite Sarevok once he was slowed.

As an experiment I tried to solo a werewolf on were island by putting the best stuff I could on Logan (helm and cloak of balduran, ring of prot +2) and the thing chewed through the ironskins and got him to half health before I pulled him back. Werewolf form is useless, only good as a pack mule. A pack mule you continuously have to shift back to normal form whenever you want to cast spells.

I'll do another run after I beat Witcher 3.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Alyssa Continues towards 9th level spells and has reached level 15 at the end of the update.

After the last update I went and did the fighters keep. Torgal proved to be a huge problem and almost killed me. I was down to 10 hp and would have been dead if I didn't use the scroll of find familiar earlier that dungeon +12 HP kept me being in the negatives. I run away up to the main floor after unsuccessfully trying to beat his regeneration downstairs. I hide in a side room and summon 5 skeletons who manage to take him out. All in all it was the toughest fight of the game so far.

By the time I hit Planar Prison (where my last character died) I had obtained 7th level spells and it was largely a cakewalk. Lots of abuse of project image + wizards eye + summons + mislead etc... The warden died immediately to my skeleton army.

I started the Planar Sphere in this update and the screenshot shows where I stopped. I have a second 7th level spell now, Mordenkainens Sword which is an amazing summon. Tons of fights in the game can be cheesed with these and by the time fights can't be I will have planetars.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
When we last left our heroes, Minerva the Dwarven Defender was about to make the Iron Throne mad.

Huh, I don't remember this door being hidden before.

:ssh: Loser.

Tuns out Dave can still teleport around while silenced so the fight was a little annoying but he still never hurt us. We free the prisoners, flood the mine, and move on.

Can I just say I really like the nighttime lighting improvements?

First things first. Tome count: 3.

One potion of mirrored eyes is all we need to trivialize the basilisk in the warehouse.

These ladies manage to confuse Imoen so we pop downstairs to avoid her.

May as well take Yago out while there.

Ragefast: Fastly killed.

New mage, who dis?

You show him Neer--

Uhhh. :stare: Thank god he apparently didn't turn into one stats- or abilities-wise.

Ramazith proves less of a threat than his guards and we snag our 4th tome.

Then we smash this rear end in a top hat's head like a grape.

And with that, Minerva the Dwarven Defender, uh, crashes right after she leaves the inn, but regardless, has only a few quests left to finish up the big city.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Rogal the Shaman is clearing the Nashkel mines.

It turns out an infinite supply of free roadblocks is really useful.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Alyssa is almost done chapter 2 / 3 sidequest.

Skeletons deal with everyone then spell immunity and mislead to deal with golems / traps. There was iron and clay golems in the golem room. Sometimes when you are high enough level you get adamantine golem instead of Iron I guess I wasn't there yet. Staff of Rynn +4 is carried for situations like this.

He dies easily to mislead + wand spam.

Mordenkainens swords put in work like always.

After getting the sphere I get my 2 permanent rings, ring of acuity and I sacrifice 2 people's lives to get a ring of wizardry. You can get one from the Harpers but I'm going solo and you need Jaheria in your party for that one.

Here's "fighting" 2 liches which means more summons abuse.

I tank the dragon with stoneskin + spell immunity while lowering it's resistance then Power Word Blind. After that the swords mop things up.

At the end I reach level 17 which means next level is 9th and 10th level spells.

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009
Vanz the Shaman has perished on the 2nd level of Durlag's Tower.

Cause of death were two lightning bolts from those lovely Doppelgangers who disguise as Durlag's family.

I will reroll another character right now out of spite but I think I will take it slower this time. It has been my personal best so far, surpassing an Inquisitor I left stranded on that island a few years ago.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
I love all of this, but I love the 6 Wild Mages the most, please keep doing that.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
First ever ironman attempt, so I tried to do this the most cowardly way. Screenshots are a bit lacking since I played it almost in one session and I can't figure out the context in most of the ones I have.

Kösem the Fighter/Cleric. My third roll gives me a suitable strength score:

Montaron helps me prepare for my first real challenge, but it doesn't work out very well.

The rest of the party is unscathed.

I drop Xzar and recruit Jaheira/Khalid. I'm now feeling confident enough to go into melee with a couple of Xvarts.

This is actually a setback, because I like Khalid and he's perfect for a certain Scimitar I'm planning to pick up later. To replace him I recruit Kagain.

Exploring the wilderness when we hear the sounds of battle and wisely decide to hang back and mop up what's left after they're done.

3-4 hours later we find some sweet loot.

My first brush with perma-death happens when I blunder into the one exact tent I didn't want to in the carnival.

Zordral frightens everyone, but we all survive long enough.

Melicamp the chicken nugget :henget:

I'm planning to recruit Xan as my only wizard when I find him, but things are getting annoying without a mage in the party so I dual Imoen when she hits 100 in find traps.
My immediate next action is to recruit Edwin. :downs:
He dies while "rescuing" Dynaheir, I kill Dynaheir before raising Edwin, he pretends he can't see her dead body on the entrance to the temple so I raise her and kill her again. Poor Dynaheir.

Things progress mostly smoothly from here, except Edwin probably dies ~10 times. I explore some wilderness, kill some basilisks, yada yada. Nashkel mines and bandit camps goes without any trouble. I almost wipe in an ettercap ambush before I recruit Coran in Cloakwood. Kagain falls in the battle against a Hamadryad, so I trek back to raise him when I'm ambushed by two Wyverns and lose Edwin and Coran. I erroneously thought you can only get ambushed once every time you travel, so I don't bother healing up much for the next leg, but I'm ambushed again by ettercaps. I panic and do the exact same thing as last time when I almost wiped and run straight into the web trap, but thankfully I'd prepared with some potions of free action and survive the encounter with barely any health lost.

The actual mines were no problem. I then do a bunch of boring quests in BG, and barely screenshot anything. I give the intelligence tome to Imoen, take the rest of the tomes myself, politely decline an invitation to Werewolf island and the tour of Durlag's Tower, but I pick up some cool equipment from the bartender in Ulgoth's Beard and retrieve Shandalar's cloak. I do some quests for Scar, yada yada, visit Candlekeep, Angelo shanks Imoen on my return, yada yada, kill some assassins, yada yada.
Next comes the part I'm dreading the most, the fight in the Ducal Palace:
The dopplegangers don't pose any problems for us and they're quickly put down, but even then only Belt barely survives:

We chase after Sarevok and after the maze we almost wipe when I forgot I had equipped both Imoen and Coran with 10 arrows of detonation each :negative:
The final confrontation is delayed a couple of days while we recuperate.

I buff my physical fighters to the gills with potions and scrolls for the final fight.

Jaheira summons a nymph and Edwin and Imoen move forwards. Imoen casts grease and Edwin web into the darkness, followed by one cloudkill each and several fireballs.

Tazok makes it out of the inferno near death, while Sarevok stops to make his speech a couple of meters before escape, but is stopped by Imoen and held in the web after making a single attack.

My 4 fighters make it through the final battle without even lifting their weapons.
:toot:

Bonus screenshot, the yada yada:

Honors:
Ironling, Purist, Honorable Trader

Onwards to BGII!

Chickpea Roar fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Dec 5, 2016

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Rogal the Shaman has cleared Nashkel and the Gnoll Stronghold.

Also, ridiculously charismatic for a half-orc thanks to the tome at the stronghold and this guy we killed's cloak. Keeping our reputation low can be a struggle.

Edit: Melicamp LIVES!

AJ_Impy fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Dec 6, 2016

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009
Godspeed fellow Shaman, and better luck than mine!

All right, here we go again... let's play a bit safer and still try something new-ish:

Ruslan the Priest of Tyr steps out of Candlekeep...

With a natural 86, which is pretty nice.

I didn't take many screenshots since the first few levels have been a breeze with a team of archers and slingers spamming Command/Sleep without prejudice. I'm also reminded of the Darkest Dungeon quote about overconfidence.

Anyway, this time I managed to save Neera and again went zapping some wolves east of Beregost. After that, I picked up Kivan and went to help Minsc on his mission. The most interesting thing so far was Neera's first wild surge, a Sleep spell that also targeted the party:

Kivan was the only one who failed the save and gave me a chance to try one of the kit's special abilities, Acclamation...

...which dispels sleep, confusion, fear, etc. from a single target and gives the Mind Shield buff for a few rounds. And saves Kivan's rear end.

At the Gnoll Stronghold we trigger Neera's quest:

So after clearing the mines we're off to Adoy's Enclave. Since Neera is prone to being gibbed by the Bodyguards I just have her chug a potion and sit this one out.

Indeed, Kivan.

Afterwards, we took the scenic route back to Beregost: Half-ogres, Bassilus and Melicamp, which...

...didn't make it (again).

And to wrap the session up I decided to forget all subtlety and storm the Bandit Camp.

I'm not really trying for Iron Party (just Ironling :negative:). But Blacktalon Elites always make me sweat.

Finally, Ruslan the Priest of Tyr reached the Cloakwood, recruited Coran and is currently resting at the late Aldeth Sashenstar's cabin.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Alyssa

I take a stroll to Watchers Keep to clear the first floor. The swords once again prove capable fighters.

More swording. The exp from this floor gets me to level 18, 9th and 10th level spells :toot: I pickup Summon Planetar and Wish as my 2 spells.

I'm getting ready to leave Athkatla for Spellhold but decided to make a stop first. I found a rogue stone already stored in my gem bag and head into the door.

Planetar kinda tear everyone's poo poo up. The Lich had some kind of protection on him but Vorpal Hit kills him anyway. The Mage with the staff waste some time stops and gate on my Planetar but it unsummons over time and I cast a new one. New one kills everything else and I loot the staff.

Efreeti lives the longest.

I think this staff will pretty handy.

I had 1 9th level spell left over while wandering around the docks district and cast wish for the hell of it. I get the chance of a random wand and decide to see what I get. Turns out it's the one I wanted.

After doing some of the act 3 quest for Thieves Guild I level up again. I pickup Time Stop and Improved Alacrity.

Most of the rest of the game is going to be summoning Planetars and staying invis while it kills everything for me. Along with unlimited spells and never resting again with project image + wish spam.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
Gaston Thunderburp has cleared the Bandit Camp.

First, the last of the wilderness maps. Meilum fell victim to the wand of paralysis. It's so good in BG1, makes most encounters a breeze if it hits.

The assassins near Gullykin and the two mages in the Firewine Ruins were both easily dealt with.

Ulcaster was cleared with little issue.

Casting hold person and shield, then attacking at range dealt with the 4 red wizards, although melf's acid arrow can still be a major threat.

Although Mulahey was a very easy fight, getting to him proved to be anything but. Kobolds, especially commandos, are surprisingly dangerous when all damage is doubled, and the traps did quite a bit of damage as well.Perhaps mirror image would have blocked the arrow traps, but I got through it nonetheless. Good job I cleared out all the temples of their potions before I entered the mines.

The bandit camp was a simple matter of killing everything at range, the lack of Black Talon Elites (Even more deadly than Kobold Commandos because I left the belt of antipode in Beregost) meant I didn't take anywhere near as much damage as I expected to. Taurgosz was paralysed, as was Venkt. The other 3 in the tent were killed quickly without any problems.

Lastly, I returned to Beregost to re-equip for the long journey into the Cloakwood.

biscuits and crazy fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Dec 6, 2016

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Wizalf-Aelf has reached Beregost

Morning thread. Quite a bit to report on but not much in the way of images. The Aelven trio, backed by buddy Imoen and slightly-less-buddies-but-still-fellow-half-elves Khalid and Jaheira, have safely reached Beregost. Xzar and Montaron were interacted with, but after accepting their potions told to get lost. Tarnesh got mace'd and arrowed, but Wizalf-Aelf only succesfully copied Magic Missile this time. Rings of Protection and Wizardry were acquired and are now being worn, although I may never get around to "identifying" them, since they work just fine without getting ID'd.

Ogre fight went much better this time around, as my sleep spell actually hit, my Fighter/Cleric is a murder-beast with a mace, and having both the Fighter/Thief and a full Thief on bow duty has been fantastic for encounters. I need to get back to the FAI at some point to return the correct belt to it's owner... and sell the gender-change belt for sweet, sweet coin.

A quick look at Wizalf-Aelf's inventory, nothing particularly exciting, the belts are the ones from the Ogre. Need to sell some poo poo.

Met Neera, saved her from Red Wizards and Thugs. Sleep spell wins again. Told Neera to go wait at the FAI, if I ever decide I want to deal with Wild Magic (ahahahahahahano) I'll look her up.

Next session will be returning to the FAI, and then exploring Beregost.

EDIT: An important note: This is as far as I've actually gotten in this game. From this point forward I will be using a walkthrough to guide my actions, and so I don't get hosed by surprise encounters. Apparently I've already hosed myself out of 900 XP by not talking down Marl in Feldpost's Inn (gently caress), but I should be able to avoid stuff like that in the future.

RickVoid fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Dec 6, 2016

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Alyssa

Vampires are badly out classed by Alyssa and her array of spells.

This boat captain seems like a really trustworthy guy.

I cast time stop for the hell of it.

I was trying to get spell turning in the book of infinite spells but got this level 1 spell forced on me instead.

This dude seems kinda familiar.

I have a bad feeling about this really.

I'm halfway done spellhold Maze I'm on the level where you get Slayer and stopped there. There isn't much content really left in Spellhold at that point and after that I'm going to get back on the boat and go claim my cloak of mirroring.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

cheesetriangles posted:

Alyssa

I have a bad feeling about this really.

I'm halfway done spellhold Maze I'm on the level where you get Slayer and stopped there. There isn't much content really left in Spellhold at that point and after that I'm going to get back on the boat and go claim my cloak of mirroring.

Could you post your spell list? I kinda want to try a solo sorcerer (not for Iron Man, just on my own) but I always get nervous about spell selection.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Skwirl posted:

Could you post your spell list? I kinda want to try a solo sorcerer (not for Iron Man, just on my own) but I always get nervous about spell selection.

Sure

Level 1:

Friends: Not really needed I just like having it to saves me some money and I'm not really a big fan of most level 1 spells.
Identify: About the same
Magic Missile: Absolutely critical.
Protection From Evil: Useful for protection again summoned demons and also offers -2 ac when attacked by people that are evil (most enemies) eventually made redundant by staff of the magi.
Shield: Early game spell really. It makes you immune to magic missiles but in BG2 most spellcasters have stopped casting it.

Level 2:
Invisibility: Critical. Cast it before changing maps, cast it before resting, cast it to avoid a bunch of lovely encounters, cast it to move out of sight of enemies and go self buff a ton. Lasts 24 hours one of the best spells you get.
Knock: Critical to open locked doors and containers.
Mirror Image: Good in the early to mid levels eventually you stop casting it when you get poo poo like mislead.
Resist Fear: Critical. Until you are high enough level to just spam summons you will get feared and you will die without this.
Web: Good for crowd control and has a good save profile.

Level 3:

Dispel Magic: I use this all the time on myself. When I have a project image up and I don't need it anymore I have it dispel itself so I can keep moving. Project image you lose control your real character while its active. Dispeling enemy casters can be kinda a crap shoot.
Hold Person: crowd control with a good save profile but kinda a luxury I don't use it much.
Melf's Minute Meteors: Critical. Earlier in the game there is going to be enemies you need to kill that you can't hurt directly with spells you have access to. Damages just about anything. Eventually you stop using it but it's useful against trolls.
Skull Trap: Super useful spell that can setup ambushes for enemies. Scales no matter how level you go but has smaller area of effect than fireball. Fireball stops scaling at level 10. Possible to fire one off and then have nothing set it off and it's in your way. Be careful when this happens because you can easily kill yourself.

Level 4:

Improved Invisibility: Super useful spell you can't be targeted with spells when invisible.
Stoneskin: Mages best friend and will keep you alive.
Great Malison: Good for your save or dies to be honest I haven't cast it once all game
Wizard Eye: Combos super good with project image or summons. When your image moves out of sight on your real character you lose control. Not if you cast this and keep it with the image. Have the image cast it to save your slots.

Level 5:
Animate Dead: Supremely good Summon. Magic Weapons, magic resistance, good hp, good immunities. Doesn't get good until level 11 caster. Even better at level 14.
Breach: I don't use this much usually my summons just kill people for me and if they have stoneskin I just let them beat it down while I am hiding invisible half a map away.
Lower Resistance: Good for some super magic immune enemies like Dragons.
Spell Immunity: Critical spell. Super useful. Spell Immunity: Divination makes you immune to truesight. Project images are destroyed by true sight but not if you have them cast spell immunity divination. Spell immunity abjuration makes it so you can't be hit with any caster spells like dispel magic, breach, pierce magic etc.. Spell immunity will keep you alive from traps if you know what spell the trap casts. You can have multiple immunities at once.

Level 6:
Mislead: Most broken spell in the game. Cast mislead far away then go up to an enemy and kill them at your leasure. Breaks the AI most enemies don't even try to fight back. Doesn't work on enemies that innately see invisibility. Also if a fight has a forced conversation it won't work. In order to dispel mislead you use true sight, but if your clone is out of range of true sight normally nothing can detect you.
Protection from Magical weapons: Makes you immune to just about any enemy that matters for 4 rounds. Don't bother with the mantle line of spells this is way better.
True Sight: Useful for dealing with mages.

Level 7:
Project Image: You want to have hundreds of spells per day right?
Mordenkainens sword: The ultimate summon. Immune to pretty much everything except pure magic damage. Hits hard, lasts a while, super useful.
Ruby Ray of Reversal: Useful for anti mage duties but honestly I just use summons really.

Level 8:
Power Word Blind: The only good power word spell. No level / hp cap, no save, blind enemies can't fight back. Absolutely brutal. When I casts it on the shadow dragon earlier in my run he just stood there and let me kill him. Casting lower resistance on him first dealt with his magic resistance. He was helpless.
Abi-Dalzims Horrid Wilting: The best damage spell. Kills mordenkainens swords since it's pure magic damage be careufl.
Spell Trigger: Insanely useful. Setup a spell trigger of 3 lower resistances and unleash them on enemies that are magic resistant and they won't be anymore.

Level 9:

Wish: Have your project image cast wish until you get the option to refresh all your spells. Never sleep again. Other good things in there too.
Time Stop: Broken
Chain Contingency: Instant casting time and works in the middle of battle. Doesn't have a cooldown like other spells so you can cast another spell then instantly cast this to get around the 1 spell per round limit. If you want to do watchers keep you need this. It functions in anti magic zones if you cast it ahead of time.

Level 10:
Planetar will solo kill just about anything
improved alcracity: see timestop
Comet: I never use this.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make

biscuits and crazy posted:

Yeah, I could add that too, I'll just call it "Legacy of Bhaal" for now, and change "Double Damage" to just cover Insane difficulty.

Edit. Done.

...I should note that one of the main features of "Legacy of Bhaal" is that it adds +80 HP to every single enemy in the game. Yes, that means EVERY. SINGLE. ONE. Carbos gets it, the rats (who have 90% damage reduction already) have it, the Gibberlings outside Candlekeep get it, the skeletons near High Hedge get it...every single enemy across all the games. What that means, then, is that many spells have become worthless. Sleep, for example, only works on enemies whose HP are below a certain threshold. And now, every enemy in the game is beyond that threshold.

This is in ADDITION to their higher saving throws, higher THACO, and extra attacks per round! Honestly, just beating it is a challenge; like, playing on that mode should render any other dishonors null and void :cheeky:.

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Dec 7, 2016

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

cheesetriangles posted:

Sure

Level 1:

Friends: Not really needed I just like having it to saves me some money and I'm not really a big fan of most level 1 spells.
Identify: About the same
I'd take Blindness and Chromatic Orb over these two, personally, simply since in BG2 you'll end up getting both the Ring of Human Influence and some goggles that let you identify things 3x/day.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Arachnophobic Aaron the Beastmaster begins his blind run of Siege of the Dragonspear

Well, here we are, about to enter the unknown.

The enemy AI must be a little different in SoD because the enemy archers here just love to focus fire on Dynaheir even if I try to keep her well away from the front. This is going to require some adjustment on my part. Enemy mages also show a tendency to flee from my melee attackers if they still have potential meatshields around. Annoying, but it can be beneficial if stops them from casting.

I work my way through this beginning dungeon and defeat the boss Korlasz with little trouble.

I capture Korlasz alive, but this turns out to be a mistake. Back in Baldur's Gate, she escapes from her cell in the Ducal Palace and attacks me while I'm alone and just exploring the place. When she confuses Arachnophobic Aaron I'm convinced it's an early end to the run, but thankfully Aaron runs into a corner while Korlasz gets distracted fighting the guards.

After agreeing to fight Caelar and her crusade, I put together a party with Minsc, Dynaheir, Safana, Viconia, and new character Corwin. I wish Ajantis and Branwen were available again, if only to strip the equipment off of them. They ran off with some good stuff, including both sets of Ankheg Plate.

On the road to Dragonspear I save some refugees who were petrified by this mage.

Some spiders in the woods web up Arachnophobic Aaron and nearly kill him. Whoops. Of all the ways to die, that's really the one I shouldn't let happen.

We stumble into a group of crusaders who blow up a bridge for dumb reasons and then trap me into fighting them. A few Hold Person spells lock them down, but Caelar herself shows up to stop the fight and speechify at me a bit, then leaves.

Seems like a good stopping point. I've got to get better at scouting ahead with Safana instead of just bumbling into everything. I'm too used to knowing where all the traps and significant encounters are in advance.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Wizalf-Aelf has reached the Nashkel Circus

No screenshots tonight. What a ride. Imoen and Jaheira have hit level 2, Khalid is within spitting distance. My three multiclass half-elven ladies are halfway to level 2 (oh god it's taking forever).

Most of the content between FAI, Beregost, and the areas just north of Nashkel have been completed. Lots of new gear, about half my people are using magic weapons and both my front-line people are in plate mail. Algernon appears to have mysteriously and repeatedly fallen on a stack of weapons until he died, but he gave me his cloak before he died and my reputation has been restored IS PERFECTLY FINE NO MURDERERS HERE THANK YOU.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Tumblr of scotch posted:

I'd take Blindness and Chromatic Orb over these two, personally, simply since in BG2 you'll end up getting both the Ring of Human Influence and some goggles that let you identify things 3x/day.

Yeah it's personal choice. If I was creating a fresh character in BG2 I would do it differently. But they were useful in BG1. I just don't like relying on save or dies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
Shalla the Human Ranger (archer kit), born hero with a roll of 90(!), died to Tarnesh outside of Friendly Arm Inn. He was able to get his horror spell off which made both the MC and Imoen easy pickings as the guards ineffectually swung their swords at him. What a waste of a good roll.

• Locked thread