Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Comstar goes First has reached and completed most of the quests in Beregost. Death count so far is a Priest of Death who died to Silke, thespian extraordinaire, who got a confusion spell off and the only one who resisted it was Imoen.

One of the new quests someone added were 3 adventures arguing about splitting the money. I failed, but can someone work out the answer?

The party of 3 split the money. The 1st one took 1/3. The second one took 1/3 of the remainder. The third one took 1/3 of the last remaining. The ended with 80 gold. How much did they start with?

Comstar fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Dec 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
270?

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
Previously, Yolanda the Wizard Slayer had just finished off the mine at Nashkel. Today, she continues her adventures, clearing out the rest of the map south of the bridge to the city, except for Durlag's Tower.

We start by having Viconia cast Silence on this group of bounty hunters, managing to get all of them. This relatively trivializes them.

While clearing out gibberlings, fire rings, and shiny things, we come across one of Dorn's old pals. She's no threat once I realize that the skeletons just rise again.

For the first time ever in all my years of playing, we just kill Brage instead of taking him back to town.

Then we lure the Doomguard to the edge of the map just in case we need to run and pelt it with spells until it dies. Or dies again. Whatever. You know.

Our first and only death so far is the allowed kiss thereof, which Safana takes. Gotta say, I'm really loving rapid-fire wizard slayer so far. Droth wasn't able to get off a single spell aside from his invisibilities.

While heading back to Larswood to join the bandits, we run into a new guy who I didn't find at all last time. I take him along just to see what he's like. Apparently he gets three extra spells of each low level? Yeah I'm loving keeping him.

Tazok tests our mettle.

Dorn manages to ultra-poison this guy who almost killed us last time. Between that and anti-magic darts he couldn't do poo poo.

Neither could these guys thanks to another Silence spell.

As before, we pop back in the back door and take out the bad guys in the Firewine ruins without having to pathfind through that mess.

With the entire south cleared out, it's foresting time. We kill this dude for his +2 staff just in case Yolanda ever needs to smack someone up close (like skeletons).

Three of these guys make their save against Silence, but the one who didn't was the one who talks you up, and it's apparently his conversation that triggers everyone to turn hostile. We're able to take them out at our leisure.

Baeloth the Entertainer summons some monsters to distract Dave, and once he's spent all his good spells we attack. We don't bother freeing the slaves.

Right after the big bridge, we run into another couple of Dorn's old buddies. The summoned dudes take me a moment before I realize they're immune to nonmagical weapons and in that time they get a couple hits in, but nothing serious.

Two updates in, and Yolanda the Wizard Slayer has reached Baldur's Gate.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Comstar goes First has reached Nashkell and level 2. I have ended up with a bit of a Harem party, with Shar-teel, a Paladin of the crying god named Sirene, Viconia, Imoen and I just had to give THAT belt to Ediwn(a).

Shar-teel had a verbal catfight with Viconia in the pub. That's new, and I think completely in character for both of them.

Edinwa, Viconia and Imoen then all died as soon as we stepped out of Nashkell and ran into a Female Amnanen Noble who wanted to pick a fight with the first Forest Barbarian she came across.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Comstar posted:

Edinwa, Viconia and Imoen then all died as soon as we stepped out of Nashkell and ran into a Female Amnanen Noble who wanted to pick a fight with the first Forest Barbarian she came across.

Incidentally, if you have the Valerie mod she can bypass this fight for you, being an Amnish authority herself. :v:

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
Gaston Thunderburp has reached the Coalition Camp near Dragonspear Castle!

First, the green dragon. I knew this was going to be a dangerous fight (It is a dragon, after all) so I buffed up with a regeneration potion and a potion of invulnerability, as well as an oil of speed and a scroll of protection of poison. The scroll, as it turned out, didn't block the damage from green dragon breath. (It blocked the poison from any wyvern critical hits though) Luckily, the combo of haste + regeneration proved to be a suitable alternative. I was also fortunate that a wing buffet knocked Gaston into a corner, where he was relatively safe. Eventually, after 5 or so fireballs, the big dragon died. Then, it was just a simple matter of cleaning up any survivors.

Moving into the temple, Ziatar and her two mages proved to be surprisingly resilient. Once the 1st mage died though, it was a fairly simple matter of mopping up. After this, I freed some captured crusaders.

The horrifying Neothelid didn't give me any trouble, surprisingly. The greenstone amulet blocked its spells, and its sword summons were lured into another room. Once it was alone, it died fairly quickly.

The mind flayer and its thralls were lured out into the corridor and dealt with one at a time. Again, surprisingly simple with the greenstone amulet. I also looted Sarevok's secret room, although I lured the shadow aspect outside and left it alive. It's 1st action was Mislead, obviously leading into quick-fire, massive backstabs. I don't want anything to do with that poo poo on insane.

On my travels between areas, I helped this young dragon.

At Bridgefort, I bought this neat axe, as well as some full plate +1 and had a shield made from that rhino beetle I killed earlier. I also talked my way into the Crusader camp and did a couple of minor quests.

The fight in the crusader camp itself went really well. Attacking from Bridgefort meant I had a sizable meatshield behind which I could safely throw axes and fireballs at the crusaders. Eventually, all the crusaders, including The Barghest and 3 named mages (Vichand, Oloneiros and Hormorn I believe), all died.

Another chat with the Hooded Man, after a neat little cutscene of Bhaal getting murdered by Cyric.

2 weeks? That's quite a long way.

Upon arriving at the camp, I did some minor quests, and used the Spectacles of Spectacle to pull this genie into the prime. He's a merchant and sells some decent magical items, although I only bought an amulet of protection +2.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Rogal the Shaman has infiltrated, exfiltrated, and murderfiltrated for good measure

More 'Oh crap, it's her' moments.

And an obscure reference, I presume.

This one's more of a longstanding in-joke. Experience for clicking all the way through, and an achievement for killing him.

Story time with the Sahuagin. One of these days, Rogal is going to have to murder every last one of them in their city.

All day, I tell you.

They're Drow. Setting traps as part of a long term malevolent plan is how they say 'hello'.

Everything we say here is completely true and entirely misleading.

Visit the enemy camp, do a few missions, murder everyone.

Well, almost everyone. For some reason, this one archer never goes hostile. Eh, live and let live.

Should give us a good negotiating position at the parley.

So then you've got to let me know: Should I stay or should I go?

If I stay, there will be trouble.

If I go, it will be double.

Next stop Dragonspear itself!

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

According to one of Beamdog's streams, the obscure reference is a tribute to a Baldur's Gate redditor who was telling a sanitized version of the game to his kids as a bedtime story :3:

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Rogal the Shaman has conquered Dragonspear Keep!

Biological warfare and indiscriminate use of high explosives get us started.

Thinning the ranks earlier seems to have helped, progress is swift to the front gate. Then, a challenge. Mano a mano against an angelspawn champion of righteousness, winner take all? Hell yes.

One thing, though: It's generally a bad idea to challenge a Shaman under an open sky.

So, the crusaders run, we murder their rearguard, and look who thinks now is a good time to talk her way out of it.

Anyway. Onwards, upwards, inwards until... Oh hey, someone else gets betrayed for once!

Next time: You don't need to devastate the sword coast to conquer hell, let me show you how it gets done!

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Comstar goes First has cleared the Nashkell mines and is hunting for bandits north of Berghost.

Melicamp the chicken did not survive his ordeal.

Death count: Too many to keep track of. The entire party bar the party leader has died two to four times over already. Much murder for the murder god.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Comstar posted:

Comstar goes First has cleared the Nashkell mines and is hunting for bandits north of Berghost.

Melicamp the chicken did not survive his ordeal.

Death count: Too many to keep track of. The entire party bar the party leader has died two to four times over already. Much murder for the murder god.
Are you just cycling in new people, in true BWP style?

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Tablet Beastmaster update:

*I'm still just wandering around the wilderness since I skipped everything that wasn't on the critical path until killing Davaeorn. Yeslick is now tanky as gently caress since he's got the Gauntlets of Dexterity. Kivan and Coran are killing machines because now they have Gauntlets of Archery/Gauntlets of Specialization.
*I haven't done a couple dangerous areas yet: Firewine Ruins, the Basilisk Area. The latter's only dangerous if I get jumped by a "you have been waylaid by enemies" encounter. The PC is protected from petrification in a pinch, but anyone else getting petrified would be a big pain in the rear end.
*I have an obscene amount of gold and I'm tempted to just do Ulgoth's Beard/Durlag's Tower (and waltz through the sorcerer prison with a scroll of protection from magic) even before setting foot in Baldur's Gate. I don't think there's anything there I absolutely need. Helm and Cloak of Balduran would be nice, but aren't absolutely necessary. There are enough magic arrows and potions and poo poo in the tower itself that I don't need to go to Sorcerous Sundries.
*Garrick is sorely underrated as an NPC. Everyone says he sucks, but with 16 Dex he actually makes a pretty decent archer with the light crossbow of speed, and the game having about a bazillion wands makes him useful. Plus being able to identify everything is really helpful because I'm OCD about not using stuff that's unid'd. There really aren't any better good or neutral magic options without their own drawbacks. Xan has stupid restrictions and like 3 HP. Dynaheir comes with Minsc who is pretty lovely outside of being crazy strong. Quayle...actually Quayle is pretty good. Maybe I should go pick him up.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Rogal the Shaman has murdered Belhifet and completed Siege of Dragonspear!

We plunge into a truly dark and disturbing place.

Then we go to hell.

Presenting 'How to earn a place in the lawful evil afterlife 101'

Presenting 'How to earn a place in the lawful evil afterlife 102'

And here's another bit of evil: How to lie convincingly to weaken a true enemy by persuading a powerful ally to desert them. Ain't no redemption for you, fallen Aasimar.

'Your approval fills me with shame'.

See? told you there'd be no redemption. Toodles!

Onto the celebrations. Never change, de Lancie.

You do realise she's an evil psychopath who's only in it for the killing, right?

Told you. Interesting to see the companions split.

Still, at least there are some whose loyalty is beyond reproach.

And some who are already accruing future payback.

Anyway. Imoen sends in someone to murder law enforcement and free the scourge of the sword coast. Not to sound ungrateful, but what alignment are you again?

Anyway. you silly little fist. Sarevok may have needed luck, but Rogal has mind control.

Which comes in many forms, such as emotionally manipulating a former colleague to take a bullet for you and be convinced of your willingness to surrender whilst covering your escape.

Regrettably, the architect of our freedom has misguidedly roped in a bunch of meddlesome self-righteous oiks as travelling companions. Fortunately, killing them is child (of Bhaal)'s play. Imoen remains completely unaffected by this.

So, that's the last we'll see of them ever. Onwards to freedom!

Honours claimed: Siege Breaker, Blind Faith, Purist, Honourable Trader.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
Gaston Thunderburp has successfully infiltrated Dragonspear Castle!

First, this ambush encounter was dispatched with liberal use of the wand of fire. The leader fled before I could kill him though.

Some more exploration of the new areas followed with little trouble and little treasure, although the arrows in the mimic chest may yet prove useful.

Using the Spectacles of Spectacle got me this ring from a tiefling. It was that or deal with what looked like a nearby earth elemental.

:psyduck: Why is moving grain back and forth worth the same exp as killing Drizzt?

Hitting the leader of the evil mages in Kanaglym enough times caused the ghost of Halatathlaer to change sides and help me kill the rest of them, it proved particularly good at it.

The Secret Revealed rendered this lich from the Spectacles of Spectacle harmless. It dropped a ring of regeneration and a robe, lets check it out.

:stare: Now that's a real treasure, holy poo poo. Being able to re-apply 3 buffs at once while wearing full plate is huge. I could also use it in an offensive way of course, but safety first for now.

Hephernaan turned out to be evil after all, I'm so shocked. For this fight I used the usual stuff, (defensive spells, and potions of haste, regen and invulnerability) plus a potion of 50% magic resistance. The two mages died fairly quickly, but Hephernaan proved to be a bit tougher to take down.

His physical mirror buff meant I had to close to attack with my melee weapon of choice, a +2 axe that also does +1 ice damage per hit I found after the fight at Boareskyr Bridge. (I'm not sure who dropped it, though) It proved to be effective, and soon enough Hephernaan fled.

:black101: Believe me friend, it will be my genuine pleasure. For helping both Daeros and Halatathlaer move on to the afterlife, Daeros revealed a treasure hidden in the floor of the main room. Given my battle strategy so far, I could not have possibly asked for a better reward.

The journey back out of Dragonspear Castle can only really be described as a clusterfuck. Loads of fodder to cut through, some fairly tough named opponents, and a shitload of fireballs and scorchers from my ever useful wand of fire. I got through it easily enough, though.

Returning to camp, Gaston learned that Caelar Argent has requested another parley. But that's for next time, I called it a day here after selling my loot from the castle.

biscuits and crazy fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Dec 28, 2016

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

biscuits and crazy posted:

His physical mirror buff meant I had to close to attack with my melee weapon of choice, a +2 axe that also does +1 ice damage per hit I found after the fight at Boareskyr Bridge. (I'm not sure who dropped it, though) It proved to be effective, and soon enough Hephernaan fled.

The Chill Axe, that was Rogal's weapon of choice right through to the end. Watch out for the 2% berserk chance. Got dropped by The Barghest.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

theshim posted:

Are you just cycling in new people, in true BWP style?

If I'd done that I would have been out of a full party by the middle of the 3rd level of the mines. It's a long walk back to Nashkell let me tell you.

Minsc went berzerk when I'd got back after finishing Edwina's quest. I had to put him down for the town's safety, he'd already killed a family before I noticed and put a stop to it.

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

Two wholesome boys to brighten your day

Man I am burning up with desire to make a run, the BG collect is on sale on steam so now is the time to jump on the bandwagon but I'm worried about time. I'm very busy at the moment and I don't know if I can make the investment. Even if I don't take my time to enjoy myself it's going to be something like 60 hours, I think?

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012

AJ_Impy posted:

The Chill Axe, that was Rogal's weapon of choice right through to the end. Watch out for the 2% berserk chance. Got dropped by The Barghest.

That's the one. I've been berserked a couple of times now, but its surprisingly not been a problem because the only things that were around were fodder not worth the effort of kiting with the throwing axe. I'd probably not risk using it if I had a party, mind you. The risk of accidentally chunking the party mage is small, but it's there, especially on insane.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

CheeseThief posted:

Man I am burning up with desire to make a run, the BG collect is on sale on steam so now is the time to jump on the bandwagon but I'm worried about time. I'm very busy at the moment and I don't know if I can make the investment. Even if I don't take my time to enjoy myself it's going to be something like 60 hours, I think?
Even if you don't have the time now, you may as well buy it while it's on sale for when you do.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Rogal the Shaman has escaped Irenicus' dungeon!

Welp, from one cage to another. Worse than that, Irenicus resurrected these deadweights to torment Rogal. No, you lumbering oaf, I actually meant... you know what, never mind.

Er, yes. It was obviously the guy that captured me and resurr- captured you as well. He totally didn't get hit by a Writhing Fog, a couple Spirit Fires and a Call Lightning prior to that.

No! Please, take these useless do-gooders instead! You are not stealing my 'Get out of jail free' card! :argh:

drat it. Now I need to rebuild the Miscreants and Ne'er-do-wells. Again.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
Gaston Thunderburp has murdered Belhifet and completed Siege of Dragonspear!

I hope you never change your cowardly ways, de Lancie. I really do. With that out of the way, the coalition camp was then attacked. The 3 waves and the final group were dealt with fairly easily, although I did have to use Dosia's "full rest" ability once. Then I attacked Dragonspear and entered Chapter 11.

After dealing with the opening rabble, I challenged Ashatiel to single combat. She ran out of spells eventually, and died to Gaston's mighty axe.

She's not one to give up, is she?

I really like the decor of this place, the dragon skeleton adds so much charm.

Hephernaan makes his move, he really is a cock.

Avernus is pretty, but really short. The enemies were no issue. Eventually I reached the elevator and prepared my buffs.

Yeah, that should do it. At some point I realised I needed a way to block fear, so I equipped Kiel's Helmet, and as an extra precaution, quickly cast spell immunity:abjuration to block any dispel/remove magic, or breach spells that may occur in the final battle. As it turned out, there was only a single cast of dispel magic, but it pays to be prepared for such things.

So this is Belhifet, then. (I've never played Icewind Dale, I should probably get around to it.)I convinced Caelar to join my side, then immediately dismissed her from the party. Sorry my dear Caelar, but Gaston Thunderburp works alone.

Hephernaan died so unbelievably quickly, it was quite pathetic really. Still, Daeros's final wish was fulfilled.

Belhifet, on the other hand, lasted a whole lot longer. (I looked him up in EE Keeper afterwards, he has 350 HP and -12 AC. The guy's a bruiser.) Eventually though, even a demon as strong as he is died. It was closer than it looks though, the demons got through my stoneskin and I had to re-apply a few buffs.

Thanks Duncan, you're all right.

Well, this just turned bad, really quick. I got through the trial without being able to convince Duke Belt of my innocence.

In prison, David Warner popped in to gloat, and I got a disturbingly cool cutscene of Skie's murder. Luckily, Imoen paid this guy to bust me out. I also picked up my stuff, I want some of it in BG2, after all.

I escaped the sewers in double quick time, and met up with Imoen, and left Baldur's Gate forever.

:alexa: What a rude bitch. Also, Imoen, who the gently caress are these people? I'm fairly sure Gaston has literally never met any of them. In the very next scene, they were promptly ambushed and captured. I'm blaming Dynaheir. :colbert:

The final stats for BG1 and SoD combined, nearly 2.5 million exp from kills alone. Bhaal would be proud.

Next time, Baldurs Gate 2. Should be good.

Honours earned: Blind Faith, Double Damage, Honourable Trader, Siege Breaker.

I enjoyed playing through Siege of Dragonspear a lot, seeing the new content for the 1st time was a lot of fun. The combat was fun as well, I really liked the bigger groups of enemies, it added quite a bit more challenge. Some of the enemy sprites I'd never seen before though, were they from Icewind Dale?

biscuits and crazy fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Dec 30, 2016

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

biscuits and crazy posted:

Some of the enemy sprites I'd never seen before though, were they from Icewind Dale?
Most of them were, yeah. Hephernaan's sprite was a couple of the priests in IWD (including the very important Brother Poquelin), the new shadows were IWD, beetles, etc. The bone bat things were actually from Planescape: Torment, though.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Tumblr of scotch posted:

Most of them were, yeah. Hephernaan's sprite was a couple of the priests in IWD (including the very important Brother Poquelin), the new shadows were IWD, beetles, etc. The bone bat things were actually from Planescape: Torment, though.

As were the devils. I think the Nethelid was new.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Kavak posted:

As were the devils. I think the Nethelid was new.
Oh yeah, I forgot about them. The Abishai were from PST too, unless they were in IWD and I just don't remember them in it.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
The dark treants, cornugons, and lemures are also PS:T.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

AJ_Impy posted:

The dark treants, cornugons, and lemures are also PS:T.
Weren't lemures in IWD? I could've sworn I remembered some in the tower.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

Tumblr of scotch posted:

Weren't lemures in IWD? I could've sworn I remembered some in the tower.

I don't believe so.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

AJ_Impy posted:

I don't believe so.
Oh, so they weren't. I was thinking of IWD2.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

After some shopping and fetch questing, Yolanda the Wizard Slayer sets to killing, starting with slaying the chaos ladies and the guy in the basement of the boat, for a total of two (2) wizards.

And also a basilisk.

Four (4) ogre mages fall next, and all it took was a single horror to disable every single one.

What's the matter? You chicken? :hehe:

We kill Ramazith in the middle of the street in broad daylight and nobody seems to give a poo poo, then we loot his house.

The Maulers of Undermountain aren't too hard, and another wizard dies with them.

This guy's guards are a bit tougher. We get this poo poo he wants then come back and kill him to take it back.

More like Diesfast.

Another three wizards fall as we decide to actually do the thieves' guild quest for once and raid Shandalar's home. I'm sure this will in no way have repercussions. It does, and the Halruaan representative gets mad that we weren't subtle about it so he dies too.

We divide and conquer the Iron Throne by dragging half of them downstairs, and kill another couple mages. I'm counting the bard as a mage because gently caress you.

Baeloth manages to paralyze the Gatewarden with his wand, enabling us to explore the top floor for the first time ever. Why are Ulraunt and Tethtoril up here if the Gatewarden arrests you no matter whether you killed Rieltar and his buddies or not? :confused: Also we did kill them so that's another wizard.

Prat and his group falls and once again I'm counting the bard as a type of wizard.

Another dungeon, another set of wizards as Shandalar (another wizard :mad:) sends us here without so much as a handshake. That's three here (one of whom almost kills Baeloth because he saved against all three of the disabling spells we tossed in beforehand), plus the bard with the ankhegs.

And also plus this guy, who unlike before is piss-easy because we managed to interrupt his first casting.

Dezkiel is the next wizard to fall on the next level along with his golems, and we're going home.

Although not for long because we immediately set out for Werewolf Island, where I'm totally counting the wizard there even though she transformed after only casting like one spell.

Wizards slain this update: A lot

Next time: Yolanda the Wizard Slayer tackles Durlag's Tower.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.

Tumblr of scotch posted:

Baeloth manages to paralyze the Gatewarden with his wand, enabling us to explore the top floor for the first time ever. Why are Ulraunt and Tethtoril up here if the Gatewarden arrests you no matter whether you killed Rieltar and his buddies or not? :confused: Also we did kill them so that's another wizard.

To be arrested, you need to have talked to either Koveras or the Iron Throne leaders. If you haven't, the gatewarden will tell you someone wants to talk to you outside the library and let you explore the top floor freely. If you decide to go back outside to meet this person, no one will be there if you again dodged Koveras and the Iron Throne leaders. If you talked to either on the way down, then a generic watcher will be there to arrest you.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Suspicious posted:

To be arrested, you need to have talked to either Koveras or the Iron Throne leaders. If you haven't, the gatewarden will tell you someone wants to talk to you outside the library and let you explore the top floor freely. If you decide to go back outside to meet this person, no one will be there if you again dodged Koveras and the Iron Throne leaders. If you talked to either on the way down, then a generic watcher will be there to arrest you.
Oh, that's why. I don't think I've ever not talked to Koveras.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
Gaston Thunderburp has started his adventure in Amn!

Just BG2 Tweaks (The new Anthology beta version found here.) this time for mods. I'm playing on Insane difficulty again, for the sake of continuity and to make up for the lack of SCS.

This is actually the 1st time in a decade that I've played the vanilla version of Irenicus' dungeon, and as a result it was a cakewalk to get through. I got the scroll of mislead from one of the goblins, so that was a nice bonus.

Bye Jon, see you later.

After doing some of the usual early quests (Circus, the Copper Coronet slavers, various other smaller ones), and once again getting a high level scroll drop, I paid my 15,000 gold and sided with Gaelan Bayle. The amulet of power is, of course, quite useful for a mage.

After investigating and killing Mae'Var for Renal Bloodscalp, I dealt with Mencar's group of thugs for his set of full plate armour. I don't own the robe of Vecna yet, although I don't actually need it yet, since Gaston has memorised exactly 0 offensive spells. For the time being, he's basically a fighter that can cast some long lasting defensive buffs after resting. That may change later, of course, but for now it's working very well.

Before heading to the De'Arnise Keep, I went to the Coronet and bought this scroll, although it will be a while before I can actually use it, as well as the Stonefire and Azuredge +3 axes. Between those, Bala's axe for spellcasters and Frostreaver +3, Gaston is pretty set for weapons for a good while.

Look, I made a pile of golems. The keep was a total pushover, even Torgal was a speedbump. After returning to Athkatla, I made one final spell purchase (Contingency) and called it a day.

Next time, probably more sidequests.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Oh hey, this thing. Until I come up with a better idea, let's try again with:

HULK (Half-Orc Barbarian)

Born hero, 85 points, mind-flayer chow (if I get that far)

SMASH SHANK

SMASH CARBOS

SMASH RATS

SMASH IMO- wait

HULK LEAVE CANDLEKEEP. BAD ARMOR MAN SMASH HULK DAD. HULK MAKE VOW: SMASH BAD ARMOR MAN. ALSO WOLVES. HULK DEFINITELY SMASH WOLVES.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
Is it me or is the Firebead quest to get a scroll case in Beregost not come up now?

Lizardmen Confirmed, Half-Elf Dragon Disciple, begins his journey.

Assassin's at the Friendly Arm, Beregost, and Nashkel defeated.

Deuce fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Jan 3, 2017

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
I got it from him a few days ago. Did you fetch his scroll in Candlekeep before leaving?

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
You have to talk to Firebead with your character. If anyone else talks to him he doesn't give the quest.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Mountaineer posted:

You have to talk to Firebead with your character. If anyone else talks to him he doesn't give the quest.

That was it. Did not know that was a thing, thanks!

edit: and the book is for sale across the street. :downs:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
That loving scroll case causes a halting issue on multiplayer and it has driven me absolutely up the wall in the game me and my buddy soulmata have been playing. Everything works great until he picks that thing up again and then every 4 seconds I halt for 1 and aaaargghhhh.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
It's so weird, I can't think of another quest with that requirement. Anyway, guess I should update my run even if I've hardly played lately.

Violet the Blade

I go around doing some of the relatively easier quests to build up money, experience, and equipment. De'Arnise Keep yields the nice Flail of Ages for Anomen.

After doing Edwin's busywork at the docks (gently caress you Edwin) I kill Mae'var for the thieves guild to get a nice chunk of money.

These poor bastards were just minding their own business at the Seven Vales and I just waltz in and murder them for their stuff.

With the Shield of Balduran on hand I feel confident about doing the Unseeing Eye quest. Things go horribly wrong when the beholder god survives being struck by the rod device and squashes most of my party with his magic. Violet hangs on thankfully, but can't seem to damage the Unseeing Eye with +2 or +3 weapons. Maybe it has protection from magic weapons? I didn't think to try a normal weapon at the time. In a panic, I have Cernd cast the only damaging spell he's prepared: Insect Swarm.

...and that's how a beholder got stung to death by bees.

As soon as everyone is back on their feet and rested, Anomen finds out his sister has been murdered. Violet goads him into making poor decisions because I need him to stay Neutral aligned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

Love this thread. I need to pay closer attention so I can get in on the action when it comes up.

Might as well ask here: I'm currently attempting a solo run and have gotten to the end of BG:EE with my HOrc Assassin. Currently in the palace with Sarevok and the doppelgangers. Up till now it's been a fairly easy walk in the park, but I have no idea how to proceed without save scumming. If I turn invisible and try and backstab the doppelgangers, they kill the last duke and it's game over. If I try and fight them head-on, I'm quickly killed.

What's the general strategy for the finale of this game? Been doing some research but there isn't much useful information out there.

• Locked thread