Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

So I'm at the in laws various places this week, which means a lot of BG on my tablet. So I'm in.

But no Dragonspear since it's not available for iOS, and Beamdog can't get their poo poo together tomever release it, seems like. Also means screenshots will be tough until later.

Anyway, I rolled this guy:

Which is...pretty ridiculous.

Highlights so far:
1.) Decided I wanted Coran and Yeslick and maybe even Alora, which meant I needed to rush through Cloakwood. That's made things...hard.
2.) Ankheg Plate counts as metal armor. It shouldn't! It's chitanous! Druids can wear it! But my beastmaster is limited to studded leather. And the game hasn't poo poo for that armor--the shadowed leather is good butnthief only.
3.) Still, between stealth and a composite bow I cleared out the Nashkel mines pretty easily. NIMBUL proved dangerous since he's like the one enemy in the game that won't get trivialized in a barrage of missiles.
4.) Grabbed a potion of invulnerability off Silke which helpfully gives me an armor class low enough to tank Ankhegs. Grabbed Kivan while I did it, and then took down the bandit camp. Turns out when you're under leveled you use a lot of the items you wouldn't normally. Like potions of fire breath, which melted the enemy made in the bandit tent.
5.) Jaheira's potion of invisibility let me clear cloakwood 2 by triggering all the traps, and then my racial enemy: spider made workmof the rest.
6.) HOLY poo poo call lightning is dangerous. That Cloakwood 1 encounter hit me for 40 HP in one strike, and that was with boots of grounding on. I had to hide in the cabin the minute the battle ended. Used a potion of magic shielding to hedge my bets.
7.) Closest I've come to dying so far: the ogre made in Cloakwood Mines casts thru damage, and he got off a Confusion. Coran confused with the boots of speed and taking pot shots at my leader is bad news.

Anyway, Davaeorn is dead and I'm wandering around the countryside collecting random poo poo. PC/Imoen/Garrick/Coran/KivanYeslick. Yeslick tanks while everything else turns the enemy into pincushions.

Is Alora worth using? Having permanent "luck" seems crazy strong, but I'm not kicking out Coran--my guy for backstabbing Durlag's to death. And losing Imoen seems pretty rough too. I guess I could drop Garrick?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Tablet Beastmaster update:

*I'm still just wandering around the wilderness since I skipped everything that wasn't on the critical path until killing Davaeorn. Yeslick is now tanky as gently caress since he's got the Gauntlets of Dexterity. Kivan and Coran are killing machines because now they have Gauntlets of Archery/Gauntlets of Specialization.
*I haven't done a couple dangerous areas yet: Firewine Ruins, the Basilisk Area. The latter's only dangerous if I get jumped by a "you have been waylaid by enemies" encounter. The PC is protected from petrification in a pinch, but anyone else getting petrified would be a big pain in the rear end.
*I have an obscene amount of gold and I'm tempted to just do Ulgoth's Beard/Durlag's Tower (and waltz through the sorcerer prison with a scroll of protection from magic) even before setting foot in Baldur's Gate. I don't think there's anything there I absolutely need. Helm and Cloak of Balduran would be nice, but aren't absolutely necessary. There are enough magic arrows and potions and poo poo in the tower itself that I don't need to go to Sorcerous Sundries.
*Garrick is sorely underrated as an NPC. Everyone says he sucks, but with 16 Dex he actually makes a pretty decent archer with the light crossbow of speed, and the game having about a bazillion wands makes him useful. Plus being able to identify everything is really helpful because I'm OCD about not using stuff that's unid'd. There really aren't any better good or neutral magic options without their own drawbacks. Xan has stupid restrictions and like 3 HP. Dynaheir comes with Minsc who is pretty lovely outside of being crazy strong. Quayle...actually Quayle is pretty good. Maybe I should go pick him up.

• Locked thread