Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

TheNakedFantastic posted:

In general the most profound changes the last couple of decades revolve around the internet and less tangible material shifts. We're living through one of the largest social and economic upheavals in human history but these changes are more subtle than a new electronic media player you can hold in your hand.
Go take a bus. It will be a completely different world than what the same thing would have been 20 years ago. Everyone is looking at a tiny supercomputer in their hands, communicating with somebody either a few miles away, or possibly halfway around the globe. Everyone. This is extremely different from a bus ride in 1995.

Condiv posted:

a neural net which can only reflect the biases of its creators.
What

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog Jones
Nov 4, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Condiv posted:

Yes I'm aware of how neural networks work, I've created one of my own. The desirable/undesirable answer is where the creators biases are introduced and why the network ends up reflecting those who train it.

As for your "artists don't know what they're doing" argument: They don't need to for cognition to be there. Not all cognition is conscious

Ah, I think I just misunderstood you. My thinking was that the definition of what constitutes a desirable or undesirable answer is the entire motivation for creating the network, and not a mere reflection of bias.

Regarding your second line, I wasn't arguing that artists are not cognizant in general. I do believe artists possess cognition (nearly all living humans do). I was saying that many have not come to any conclusions about what art is and how best to pursue their artistic endeavours. Sort of beside the point, perhaps.

TheNakedFantastic
Sep 22, 2006

LITERAL WHITE SUPREMACIST

Cingulate posted:

Go take a bus. It will be a completely different world than what the same thing would have been 20 years ago. Everyone is looking at a tiny supercomputer in their hands, communicating with somebody either a few miles away, or possibly halfway around the globe. Everyone. This is extremely different from a bus ride in 1995.

Well that's true, but people are using those computers because of the internet.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

People started using mobile Internet because they already had their phones, and advanced technology gave them enough power to do additional tasks on them. And the internet is developing and changing because people use smartphones as much as smartphones and gadgets are changing to make an ever greater use of the internet.

TheNakedFantastic
Sep 22, 2006

LITERAL WHITE SUPREMACIST

steinrokkan posted:

People started using mobile Internet because they already had their phones, and advanced technology gave them enough power to do additional tasks on them. And the internet is developing and changing because people use smartphones as much as smartphones and gadgets are changing to make an ever greater use of the internet.

Yes they are being simultaneously developed and co dependent, but the biggest impact on society is from the internet, not the additional power of modern cellphones. I'm not saying society isn't still rapidly materially advancing but if we want to consider what's having the largest impact on society it's the social aspect.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Yes, and the internet depends on electricity and globalization, and it's revolutions all the way down.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Dog Jones posted:

Regarding your second line, I wasn't arguing that artists are not cognizant in general. I do believe artists possess cognition (nearly all living humans do). I was saying that many have not come to any conclusions about what art is and how best to pursue their artistic endeavours. Sort of beside the point, perhaps.

The point is that although there is derivation in art, there is a lot more to it that involves the artists desires, life experiences, and personality which highly specialized neural nets cannot reproduce. Right now neural nets are only really good at creating derivative work based on the biases of its trainers.

What part of that quote do you have a problem with?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Condiv posted:

The point is that although there is derivation in art, there is a lot more to it that involves the artists desires, life experiences, and personality which highly specialized neural nets cannot reproduce. Right now neural nets are only really good at creating derivative work based on the biases of its trainers.

Yeah, but right now 99% of humans couldn't create great and meaningful art either and so that seems like a weird criteria for the measure of a man.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Yeah, but right now 99% of humans couldn't create great and meaningful art either and so that seems like a weird criteria for the measure of a man.

Maybe you meant that 99% of people can't make art that appeals to a large amount of today's population? Cause people have been creating meaningful art for far longer than we have had writing.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Condiv posted:

Maybe you meant that 99% of people can't make art that appeals to a large amount of today's population? Cause people have been creating meaningful art for far longer than we have had writing.

Some people have. Some people haven't. You mention writing but 26% of adults can't do that either. None of these seem like good tests of human like AI if they are things plenty of actual humans fail at.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Some people have. Some people haven't. You mention writing but 26% of adults can't do that either. None of these seem like good tests of human like AI if they are things plenty of actual humans fail at.

Considering neural nets have a 0% chance of creating meaningful art on their own at the moment, it's a perfectly valid test. I'd argue that nearly everyone can make art that's meaningful to at least themselves.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Condiv posted:

Considering neural nets have a 0% chance of creating meaningful art on their own at the moment, it's a perfectly valid test. I'd argue that nearly everyone can make art that's meaningful to at least themselves.

If I say I could not make meaningful art would you just claim I was lying no matter what? What if I claimed I found a drawing a neural net made to be meaningful would you claim I didn't.

I can easily find meaning in this

both artistically and semantically. A

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Cingulate posted:

That earlier poster's gotta be under 20.

It never ceases to boggle my mind that I now walk around with a computer in my pocket that's connected to the internet 24/7, and I can bullshit with my friends from Australia on Skype or IRC wherever I happen to be.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

If I say I could not make meaningful art would you just claim I was lying no matter what?

Hmm so you never drew any pictures for your parents?

quote:

What if I claimed I found a drawing a neural net made to be meaningful would you claim I didn't.

I can easily find meaning in this

both artistically and semantically. A

People can find meaning in all sorts of things that have no meaning. People used to think the howling winds outside their houses were banshees signaling someone's impending death.

You can pretend there's meaning in that image if you want, but it's 100% certain that there isn't any meaning in it.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The art discussion is really unproductive cause it will have to be about what art, particularly meaningful art, is. Andy warhol made soup cans art and some people have a really hard time keeping the difference between craftsmanship and art clear. This isn't gonna lead anywhere.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Condiv posted:

Hmm so you never drew any pictures for your parents?

People can find meaning in all sorts of things that have no meaning. People used to think the howling winds outside their houses were banshees signaling someone's impending death.

You can pretend there's meaning in that image if you want, but it's 100% certain that there isn't any meaning in it.

Why are you able to declare the scrawlings I made for my parents meaningful without seeing them but then declare any meaning I see in deep dream's interpretation of meatballs as animals as 100% certainly wrong?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Why are you able to declare the scrawlings I made for my parents meaningful without seeing them but then declare any meaning I see in deep dream's interpretation of meatballs as animals as 100% certainly wrong?

Because you are the sum of your experiences and cognition of those experiences, either consciously or unconsciously. An AI is not. Everything you do has meaning, even if it's not readily apparent even to yourself. The same cannot be said about an AI. Humans are able to interpret meaning in what an AI does, but that doesn't mean that there is any meaning to actually be had.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
The idea of technological progress being fast or slow is stupid. The reason things have changed so much faster over the last century compared to the previous century isn't because we started progressing faster along a spectrum of technology, it's because we developed certain specific technologies that could be iterated upon for quite a while, that were versatile enough to serve as the basis for a wide variety of other inventions, and which spurred the development of infrastructure that made many other technologies commercially viable. Eventually, with every one of those technologies, we hit a point where the returns on further innovation diminish dramatically, most of the things that can be derived from it have been invented, and the infrastructure has been exploited for just about every use that could be crammed into it, so the "progress" resulting from that invention slows dramatically. The same will eventually be true for computers.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Rush Limbo posted:

Because you are the sum of your experiences and cognition of those experiences, either consciously or unconsciously. An AI is not. Everything you do has meaning, even if it's not readily apparent even to yourself. The same cannot be said about an AI. Humans are able to interpret meaning in what an AI does, but that doesn't mean that there is any meaning to actually be had.

Was gonna respond but this was pretty much what I was gonna say.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
When I look at a cloud in a certain way it may look like the face of the Buddha. It would be absurd to suggest that the act of precipitation of water is actively trying to convey the form of Siddhartha.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

Rush Limbo posted:

Can you elaborate on this? What constitutes experiences and cognition? What disqualifies processing of images gained through crawling the web from being cognition of experiences?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Condiv posted:

Was gonna respond but this was pretty much what I was gonna say.

You have a circular definition then, if everything I make is meaningful no matter what even if I say it's not and everything a computer makes is inherently not meaningful even if I say I find it meaningful then it seems your conclusion is simply because you decided it's true and all evidence counter to it is lies.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
This is my confusing 2 cents, as someone that is interested in the subject but a complete layman:

Im on the "we are not even close" field. As many others have said, we barely know how our own intelligence works

The little we actually knows, it seems like our intelligence doenst works at all like a computer. All a computer can do, the way its built right now, no matter how advanced and powerful it is, is basically mathematics over data. Out brain is weak in performing mathematical calculus, the machine has been doing it a lot better since the beginning. But our brains do a lot more than mathematics

A computer can recognize a face using a fuckload of advanced maths, while a human, even a baby, can do the same with no math at all. How do we do it? A computer is already way better than us at recognizing patterns, AFAIK, because it can be done with math. But it is terrible at interpreting a text because that's not something that is easy to reproduce with calculus, maybe is not even really possible. No interpretation can be really absolutelly "right" in objective terms

Can intelligence really exists without a purpose, a will? Arent intelligent conclusions at its base affirmations about the world? Some truth that inst really there at the sum of the facts and experiences, but it is affirmed over it, by our creation? How could a machine achieve that? A computer can perform math better than any of us, but could it create a mathematical intepretation of reality like the theory of relativity? To me, it nseems "human-like AI" would have to

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Rush Limbo posted:

When I look at a cloud in a certain way it may look like the face of the Buddha. It would be absurd to suggest that the act of precipitation of water is actively trying to convey the form of Siddhartha.

Why should the cloud's inner monologue matter? Why should an artist's? The important thing in art is what you, the viewer, sees; nobody values great intents and you can only infer them from the result anyway.

An autistic AI with a rich inner life it cannot meaningfully convey wouldn't be meaningfully different from a pet rock. The problem with computer-generated art isn't the computer's presumable lack of a soul, it's that the output of any given algorithm is so basic, consistent, and unchanging; once the novelty of 'whoa haha look at all those eyeballs' wears off it's just white noise. I doubt even OOCC could amuse himself by looking at Deep Dream dogmonsters all day; once you've seen a couple you've pretty much seen all Deep Dream is capable of.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Nov 29, 2016

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

You have a circular definition then, if everything I make is meaningful no matter what even if I say it's not and everything a computer makes is inherently not meaningful even if I say I find it meaningful then it seems your conclusion is simply because you decided it's true and all evidence counter to it is lies.

you do understand the difference between something having meaning and finding meaning in something right? the first requires cognition on the part of the creator, the second requires cognition on the part of the observer. a computer is incapable of cognition and therefore incapable of creating meaningful art on its own (it can be used to create meaningful art though). likewise, a computer is not able to find meaning in the dog spaghetti picture you like.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

Condiv posted:

you do understand the difference between something having meaning and finding meaning in something right? the first requires cognition on the part of the creator, the second requires cognition on the part of the observer. a computer is incapable of cognition and therefore incapable of creating meaningful art on its own (it can be used to create meaningful art though). likewise, a computer is not able to find meaning in the dog spaghetti picture you like.
Why would he understand something that no one understands or has evidence of even existing?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Why should the cloud's inner monologue matter? Why should an artist's? The important thing in art is what you, the viewer, sees; nobody values great intents and you can only infer them from the result anyway.

An autistic AI with a rich inner life it cannot meaningfully convey wouldn't be meaningfully different from a pet rock. The problem with computer-generated art isn't the computer's presumable lack of a soul, it's that the output of any given algorithm is so basic, consistent, and unchanging; once the novelty of 'whoa haha look at all those eyeballs' wears off it's just white noise. I doubt even OOCC could amuse himself by looking at Deep Dream dogmonsters all day; once you've seen a couple you've pretty much seen all Deep Dream is capable of.

the choices of the artist matter. i wouldn't read a novella written by a markov-chain because it would be unintelligible and meaningless. i would read slaughterhouse five though

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Condiv posted:

It found a meaning, it found "hey, this meatball looks kinda like a dog" then altered the picture so it looked even more like a dog. It's more than any art I've ever made.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

It found a meaning, it found "hey, this meatball looks kinda like a dog" then altered the picture so it looked even more like a dog. It's more than any art I've ever made.

no, an unthinking computer cannot find meaning. not yet at least. if it could we'd have a lot better translation apps than we do and we'd have true natural programming languages.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Condiv posted:

no, an unthinking computer cannot find meaning. not yet at least. if it could we'd have a lot better translation apps than we do and we'd have true natural programming languages.

I can neither translate or be programmed in a natural language (except in extremely hand wavey "school is like being programmed MAN") so am I not able to create art till I learn french or something? Or is this another requirement that computers would need to follow that people don't to gain your approval?

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Elias_Maluco posted:

Im on the "we are not even close" field. As many others have said, we barely know how our own intelligence works
We don't need to know how a bee flies to build to planes.

quote:

The little we actually knows, it seems like our intelligence doenst works at all like a computer. All a computer can do, the way its built right now, no matter how advanced and powerful it is, is basically mathematics over data. Out brain is weak in performing mathematical calculus, the machine has been doing it a lot better since the beginning. But our brains do a lot more than mathematics
This implies there something we can do that can't be expressed in mathematics, which I've seen no evidence of. But more than that, you've chosen an abstraction layer for computers that just doesn't apply to humans, and it's causing you to come to weird computers. What computers do is shunt electrical signals around in fixed patterns, for the convenience of humans we've organized those shunts into logic gates, and those logic gates into adders, registers, and such, and those components into a CPU and memory. The result is a thing that takes instructions like "add this to that" or "go run that instruction" which looks sort of like mathematics, but there's absolutely no reason a computer needs to be organized like that (other than that humans would have a hard time understanding how to use it). Neural networks are essentially an expression of that fact, but implemented in software.

The fact that it's even possible to run dynamic shunting software on static shunting hardware is because, as near as we can tell, computers are general purpose problem solvers, they're Turing complete, and we've haven't encountered a solvable problem that isn't decidable by a Turing machine (even if a particular machine is inefficient compared to other machines). Humans weren't designed so it's harder to crack open a skull and say "Ah ha! Here's the adder" (though people certainly try), so we can't apply your computer abstraction level to humans, but they look pretty similar at the electrical/chemical shunting machine level.

twodot fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Nov 29, 2016

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

How's his widow holding up?
Can't this question best be answered by that great scholarly monograph "Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality"?

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I can neither translate or be programmed in a natural language
Absolutely, man. Much better than any computer, in fact. I can control your brain and your behavior using certain words over a much wider spectrum than any computer.

RedFlag
Nov 22, 2007

Cingulate posted:

Absolutely, man. Much better than any computer, in fact. I can control your brain and your behavior using certain words over a much wider spectrum than any computer.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you the 2016 Presidential election.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Cingulate posted:

Nah.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I can neither translate or be programmed in a natural language (except in extremely hand wavey "school is like being programmed MAN") so am I not able to create art till I learn french or something?

uh, yeah you can dude. ever followed a recipe and made some food? congrats, you were just programmed in a natural language

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Condiv posted:

uh, yeah you can dude. ever followed a recipe and made some food? congrats, you were just programmed in a natural language
When I follow a recipe there's large probabilities I will gently caress it up. And not just gently caress it up like "Oh this could use some salt", but I could drink too much, pass out, and burn down the neighborhood. If we're expecting that sort of accuracy from computers, I'd say we've already got natural language programming.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Condiv posted:

Okay so if I ask siri to make an appointment at 4 she's human then?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

twodot posted:

When I follow a recipe there's large probabilities I will gently caress it up. And not just gently caress it up like "Oh this could use some salt", but I could drink too much, pass out, and burn down the neighborhood. If we're expecting that sort of accuracy from computers, I'd say we've already got natural language programming.

it's not about accuracy. being able to process instructions that are conveyed like normal human language is the point of true natural language programming

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

How's his widow holding up?
Seriously this is a really dumb question. To use a natural language example it's like worrying about donut glaze recipes before you have invented agriculture.

• Locked thread