Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

So "meaning" is a metaphysical substance that floats around and sticks onto objects created under the correct ritual? But can not be detected by looking at the object created?
yes

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Avshalom getting probated is all the proof we need that the machines already mod among us, but will never be 'human level'

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Avshalom getting probated is all the proof we need that the machines already mod among us, but will never be 'human level'

You figure the Israelis could come up with something better than Microsoft Tay

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

Personally I'd prefer if this subforum would stop encouraging insane people

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

CommieGIR posted:

You figure the Israelis could come up with something better than Microsoft Tay
If they do, they'll not show, but only insinuate that they are playing in the big league.

"If you force us yet again to descend from the face of the Earth to the depths of the Earth — let the Earth roll toward the Nothingness." :hint: :hint:

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Meaning is subtextual information.

What are some good books on AI and robotics theory and development?

Ratios and Tendency fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Dec 27, 2016

moebius2778
May 3, 2013

Ratios and Tendency posted:

What are some good books on AI and robotics theory and development?

Russell and Norvig is still one of the standard introductory AI textbooks.

What's your background/what are you aiming to learn?

(I can't really help with respect to robotics.)

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

ISRAEL DOESN'T HAVE CIVILIANS THEY'RE ALL VALID TARGETS
I'm a huge dickbag ignore me
When it comes to AI, won't we reach a point where it all becomes philosophical anyway?

People still argue whether humans have free will or not, so once we reach a point that AIs start passing the turing test, won't whether they're "really" intelligent become rather a moot point?

My smart phone would be considered a mind blowing AI just a few decades ago.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yes, the goalposts are on wheels.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Thalantos posted:

When it comes to AI, won't we reach a point where it all becomes philosophical anyway?

People still argue whether humans have free will or not, so once we reach a point that AIs start passing the turing test, won't whether they're "really" intelligent become rather a moot point?

I am perfectly sure there will come a time point in the future where two perfectly intelligent and rational sets of humans will scoff at each other and consider the other party obviously ridiculously wrong, and one will believe the superhuman truly conscious etc AI walk amongst us, the other will believe contemporary AI only further shows that machines will never think/feel/express itself creatively.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Hey guys, have you talked about the Blue Brain Project itt yet?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Brain_Project

It involves modelling hundreds of millions of somewhat biologically accurate neurons and arranging them in a similar configurations as in the rat/human brain, with similar interconnections. Just seeing what kind of cool poo poo and emergent behaviour will arise, without having to cut open some poor rat/human gently caress.

Also, you can now slow down or even reverse your Alzheimer's in parts of your brain at home, with a strobe light:

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2016/12/beating-alzheimers-with-brain-waves/509846/

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

Also, you can now slow down or even reverse your Alzheimer's in parts of your brain at home, with a strobe light
Let me make a prediction here which will only be corroborated with a few massively expensive studies in the future: no, you can't.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

Also, you can now slow down or even reverse your Alzheimer's in parts of your brain at home, with a strobe light:

Yeah, if you have genetically engineered brain cells that are designed to fire when exposed to light. Which you do not.

Char
Jan 5, 2013

twodot posted:

We don't need to know how a bee flies to build to planes.

This implies there something we can do that can't be expressed in mathematics, which I've seen no evidence of. But more than that, you've chosen an abstraction layer for computers that just doesn't apply to humans, and it's causing you to come to weird computers. What computers do is shunt electrical signals around in fixed patterns, for the convenience of humans we've organized those shunts into logic gates, and those logic gates into adders, registers, and such, and those components into a CPU and memory. The result is a thing that takes instructions like "add this to that" or "go run that instruction" which looks sort of like mathematics, but there's absolutely no reason a computer needs to be organized like that (other than that humans would have a hard time understanding how to use it). Neural networks are essentially an expression of that fact, but implemented in software.

The fact that it's even possible to run dynamic shunting software on static shunting hardware is because, as near as we can tell, computers are general purpose problem solvers, they're Turing complete, and we've haven't encountered a solvable problem that isn't decidable by a Turing machine (even if a particular machine is inefficient compared to other machines). Humans weren't designed so it's harder to crack open a skull and say "Ah ha! Here's the adder" (though people certainly try), so we can't apply your computer abstraction level to humans, but they look pretty similar at the electrical/chemical shunting machine level.

I overall agree with your post, but I wanted to add that any kind of advanced contemporary prothesis works because we've being successful at reverse-engineering parts of our nervous system. It's not designed, but mathematics are a functional abstraction layer of phenomena. "Giving touch back to amputees" means we've somehow managed to break the Nerve-to-Nerve Communication Protocol - what might happen is that trying to frame the nervous system in a mathemathical paradigm won't make any sense - there's plenty of apparently senseless design choices in nature. But there has to be some kind of protocol.

Back on topic, anyway: are we assuming that "human-level intelligence" means, basically, "the ability of learning through experience and abstract thinking"? What's a good consensus on such a definition?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Thalantos posted:

Should we ever reach the point where AIs start meaningfully passing the turing test, yes, it would be more or less a metaphysical debate, but we're not anywhere close to that point, have no idea how to get there, and modern science merely suggests it's hypothetically physically possible to fully simulate a brain in machine logic the same way it's hypothetically physically possible to build a solar-system sized containment chamber to trap all of the Sun's energy. In reality, your smartphone might blow an abacus out of the water but were you to say it is "really" intelligent in the terms we use for living organisms you would be considered an idiot, or worse, a singularitarian.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jan 10, 2017

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Yeah, if you have genetically engineered brain cells that are designed to fire when exposed to light. Which you do not.
You just have plenty of completely normal brain cells that are "designed" to fire when exposed to light.

Also, optogenetics will come to a brain near you very soon, or at least so everyone is hoping ...

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

Should we ever reach the point where AIs start meaningfully passing the turing test, yes, it would be more or less a metaphysical debate, but we're not anywhere close to that point, have no idea how to get there, and modern science merely suggests it's hypothetically physically possible to fully simulate a brain in machine logic the same way it's hypothetically physically possible to build a solar-system sized containment chamber to trap all of the Sun's energy. In reality, your smartphone might blow an abacus out of the water but were you to say it is "really" intelligent in the terms we use for living organisms you would be considered an idiot, or worse, a singularitarian.

It seems to me we're really kinda close to AIs passing the turing test, is this incorrect?

Like it strikes me that since it is about fooling a human into thinking it's a human, that already happens.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Thalantos posted:

It seems to me we're really kinda close to AIs passing the turing test
Depending on the specification, extremely stupid programs have beaten the test already in the 60s.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Thalantos posted:

Like it strikes me that since it is about fooling a human into thinking it's a human, that already happens.

I don't think that's actually what the test was.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

Subjunctive posted:

I don't think that's actually what the test was.

What was it?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Thalantos posted:

What was it?

I guess you can frame it that way. It wasn't intended to be adversarial, by my recollection.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

Subjunctive posted:

I guess you can frame it that way. It wasn't intended to be adversarial, by my recollection.

How would it be adversarial? Is it because your comparing the AIs attempt to pretend to be human versus the human ability to tell it is "lying"?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Subjunctive posted:

The actual setup was a weird thing where a man and a women go into separate rooms then type to a party and you are supposed to guess who the man and who the women are and maybe they are faking but then someone switched one of them with a robot. It's the sort of thing that was just a hypothetical in an essay that got turned into a "well what if we did do that?". originally it wasn't super well defined, it was just a what if.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Thalantos posted:

How would it be adversarial? Is it because your comparing the AIs attempt to pretend to be human versus the human ability to tell it is "lying"?

In that the judge isn't involved in the conversation, and the other participant isn't trying to expose the computer (or disguise themselves as a computer). Not that the other participant should know if it's dealing with a machine, of course.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

tbc I am referring to passing the Turing test in the colloquial sense that machine-generated speech becomes so similar to human that the average person cannot tell the difference in whatever context it might casually be found in, like you can hold an actual meaningful conversation with Siri or whatever like you would a person, I do not think it becomes unprovable whether machines are conscious as soon as one has ever successfully performed a specific parlor trick with a judge and rules and stuff.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jan 10, 2017

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I think the Turing test is usually framed as being written, because perfect voice synthesis is hard and not really relevant to the core question.

Would you consider a machine to have passed if it couldn't be distinguished from a 5-year-old? Someone with dementia?

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

So, we need a better test to determine if an AI is truly intelligent?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

for it to be a True AI it must perfectly simulate a 44-year-old man with an IQ of 87 and crippling OCD. He communicates entirely via sonnet delivered in Morse code, which the interlocutor has a vaguely recalled understanding of but has difficulty deciphering without the aid of a codebook (provided)

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

I read a story about some basement dweller who wanted a girlfriend so he built himself one, but then it broke up with him because he wasn't doing anything with his life.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Subjunctive posted:

Would you consider a machine to have passed if it couldn't be distinguished from a 5-year-old? Someone with dementia?
The first programs to fool humans were masquerading as a schizophrenic patient, and as a psychiatrist.

Subjunctive posted:

I think the Turing test is usually framed as being written, because perfect voice synthesis is hard and not really relevant to the core question.
https://deepmind.com/blog/wavenet-generative-model-raw-audio/

Thalantos posted:

I think that'll come basically for free with your definition of "truly intelligent".

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

Cingulate posted:

The first programs to fool humans were masquerading as a schizophrenic patient, and as a psychiatrist.

https://deepmind.com/blog/wavenet-generative-model-raw-audio/

I think that'll come basically for free with your definition of "truly intelligent".

I'm honestly not sure how I would define a "truly intelligent" AI, tbh

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Thalantos posted:

I'm honestly not sure how I would define a "truly intelligent" AI, tbh
Just define "truly intelligent", I'll gladly take care of the rest.

moebius2778
May 3, 2013

Thalantos posted:

Essentially, yes.

Ideally, you should attempt to determine what you're trying to measure and how to measure it ahead of time. When you actually evaluate experimental results you'd like to be able to just focus on how well the system did, without trying to figure out whether you were doing the right experiment in the first place. Mind, you, you should be checking that as well, but more to figure out if you hosed up the experiment, than to try to find out reasons to explain away the system's performance.

Besides the Turing test, there's also the AI-hard/complete problems. In a certain sense, they suffer from the same basic problem as the Turing test (trying to determine if a system is intelligent without having a precise definition of intelligence), but they do have the advantage that solving an AI-hard problem is likely to be useful in of itself.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Cingulate posted:

The ability to problem-solve and independently learn and perform complex tasks in an uncontrolled environment, without supervision.

If you're having trouble defining these words, the benchmark here is a series of naked savannah predators that overran every dry patch of land on the planet, built giant climate-controlled towers of glass and steel using tools it developed from scratch out of whatever happened to be lying around, and currently in the most directly relevant cases gains its sustenance from sitting around pushing around electrons with nary a gazelle in sight, without ever once receiving outside instruction or assistance. At great effort and expense Google can occasionally detect when you've probably misspelled a search term typed into its textbox, that's pretty impressive.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jan 10, 2017

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

The ability to problem-solve and independently learn and perform complex tasks in an uncontrolled environment, without supervision.

If you're having trouble defining these words, the benchmark here is a series of naked savannah predators that overran every dry patch of land on the planet, built giant climate-controlled towers of glass and steel using tools it developed from scratch out of whatever happened to be lying around, and currently in the most directly relevant cases gains its sustenance from sitting around pushing around electrons with nary a gazelle in sight, without ever once receiving outside instruction or assistance. At great effort and expense Google can occasionally detect when you've probably misspelled a search term typed into its textbox, that's pretty impressive.
Humans don't learn the knowledge required to uphold civilization without supervision, so your definition is too strong.
That said, it's also too weak because the definition itself is fulfilled by e.g. ravens.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Cingulate posted:

Humans don't learn the knowledge required to uphold civilization without supervision, so your definition is too strong.
That said, it's also too weak because the definition itself is fulfilled by e.g. ravens.

I've heard ravens are lovely with climate control.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

Ravens are actually rather smart

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Subjunctive posted:

I've heard ravens are lovely with climate control.
Not even remotely as bad as humans, it seems.

That said, I wrote "the definition itself".

Thalantos posted:

Ravens are actually rather smart
Yeah but I bet all of the "AI safety" people would chill out if we learned the upper limit for AIs was "as smart as ravens (plus can play chess and impersonate Donald Trump on Twitter)"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Cingulate posted:

True intelligence is a quality of human intelligence. So just test for human intelligence.

Like, if a machine is statistically indistinguishable from a human being in all possible conversations, it has human intelligence and therefore true intelligence. :chord:

• Locked thread