Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Cingulate posted:

Neural nets/deep learning happens on the CPU. Everyone is looking at NVIDIA, and so far they're delivering.

Inference happens on CPUs, but the learning is almost all GPUs these days. There are various other specialization approaches as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Do you not think that, f.e., LSTMs or memnets represent meaningful advances?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Cingulate posted:

And Memnet is in a totally different category from LSTMs.

Yes, I know. They were two examples.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I was asking a question in earnest -- did he not consider them to be meaningful advances. I wasn't asserting anything about what he should believe. Sometimes a question is just a question, not a Socratic feint.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

They're two things that I think of as being modern advances, that didn't seem to fit his description. I apologize for imperfect wording of my question. Perhaps I shouldn't post quickly from my phone in threads discussing such sensitive matters. Your accusation of bad faith posting seems disproportionate, and in bad faith itself.

Memnets turn up more in the literature as "memory networks" it seems; Weston was primary on the original paper. I always heard them called memnets where I worked.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Elias_Maluco posted:

A whole lot of movies, cartoons, sci-fi books and comic books did pictured flying cars during the 80s and 90s

Picturing them as signs of a fantastic future isn't really the same as being part of a thoughtful forecast of upcoming technology.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yes, the goalposts are on wheels.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Thalantos posted:

Like it strikes me that since it is about fooling a human into thinking it's a human, that already happens.

I don't think that's actually what the test was.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Thalantos posted:

What was it?

I guess you can frame it that way. It wasn't intended to be adversarial, by my recollection.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Thalantos posted:

How would it be adversarial? Is it because your comparing the AIs attempt to pretend to be human versus the human ability to tell it is "lying"?

In that the judge isn't involved in the conversation, and the other participant isn't trying to expose the computer (or disguise themselves as a computer). Not that the other participant should know if it's dealing with a machine, of course.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I think the Turing test is usually framed as being written, because perfect voice synthesis is hard and not really relevant to the core question.

Would you consider a machine to have passed if it couldn't be distinguished from a 5-year-old? Someone with dementia?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Cingulate posted:

Humans don't learn the knowledge required to uphold civilization without supervision, so your definition is too strong.
That said, it's also too weak because the definition itself is fulfilled by e.g. ravens.

I've heard ravens are lovely with climate control.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

thechosenone posted:

Kindof? Like if I it really felt like I was talking with a 5 year old I would be pretty impressed at least. Not nearly as much as if it were an adult, but still impressed.

As it is, 'ai's' Don't really even have that.

How about a 2-year-old? A written, detailed log of a newborn's activities? Or, I think more interestingly, a person with dementia or other serious neurological damage? I wouldn't say that such people have ceased to be intelligent, personally. That's not a philosophical line I'm comfortable crossing.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I'm trying to figure out how much people want to test "is intelligent" versus "behaves like a human", and in the latter case what it means for a given capability to not be present for a human.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

people don't generally figure that things that don't look like people or communicate like people are people

Yes, quite. Are we talking about artificial intelligence, or artificial people?

• Locked thread