Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Insofar as you define a "human level AI" as being an artificial entity that is capable of understanding itself and human beings, I definitely think that this is physically possible. We already have at least one, and possibly up to five other, examples of self-awareness naturally arising in a physical medium: that being ourselves, dolphins, orca whales, elephants, chimps, and possibly corvid birds. So, I mean, if it's possible for blind natural selection to create self-aware beings, it's at the very least not physically impossible for us to create one ourselves. Compared to the rate at which evolution drives this, our current technology is ridiculously fast approaching it.

However, the creation of a human-level AI would require a truly solidified theory of mind, one that could be codified in mathematics, or replicated in analog with circuitry, which is something that we lack at the moment. The science of psychology, even, is barely even a hundred years old. Look at the state of physics, for example, 100 years after Isaac Newton and Liebniz invented Calculus. It would've been barely at the beginning of the 19th century. 100 years after Principia Mathematica people were only just inventing thermodynamics and the concept of electromagnetism was not even yet a glimmer in Charles-Augustin Coulomb's eye. So taking that as a model, with progress in neuroscience, perhaps we could begin to approach this in a couple of centuries.

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Nov 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

To restate the actual point I'm making:

we are never going to hit "human level AI" because human isn't a level, it's a specific implementation.

So, you're basically claiming that in order to have a thing that makes plans, introspects, and reasons, it is a prerequisite to have an organic human brain, made of brain cells, and be raised in a human culture? Pardon me if this seems a little bit broad a claim to make.

EDIT: That is to say, how do you know that the only thing that could do those tasks is a flesh and blood human?

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Nov 28, 2016

• Locked thread