Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
INH5
Dec 17, 2012
Error: file not found.

Senor Tron posted:

While living through the changes it's easy to overlook everything that is happening in the world, but I would argue the 1986 to 2016 difference is much larger than the 1956 to 1986 one. I mean what changed for the average person between 1956 and 1986 in terms of new technology? Televisions got better, audio players got smaller, phones got a bit better and computers shrank to where people could have them in their homes for only a few hundred dollars, but if you are talking about day to day life that period was more of an evolution whereas the information age has been a revolution.

Just from memory + 15 minutes of research on Wikipedia:

Unless I missed something in my research, jet airliners basically didn't exist in 1956 but were very common in 1986.

Office workers still mostly used typewriters in 1956. By 1986, typewriters had largely been replaced by computers and dedicated electronic word processors.

In terms of communication technology, while I can't say for sure because I didn't exist back then, pagers and answering machines (the latter existed in 1956, but became much more common by 1986) must have had an impact at least comparable to social media. Also, from what I gather, telegraph technologies greatly improved over the period. My mother is a computer programmer who started working in the 1970s, and she told me once that back then big companies had access to Telex systems that were pretty much equivalent to email.

Portable audio recorders and players were expensive and pretty much only used by professional reporters in 1956. By 1986, portable cassette players/recorders were extremely common. I've used both an Ipod and an actual 1980s Walkman, so I can say from experience that the difference between them in terms of user experience isn't all that great.

Cable TV, VCRs, and video rental stores all came into existence between 1956 and 1986. Again, I didn't exist back then, but the impact on personal entertainment must have been at least comparable to Tivo, Netflix, and Amazon Instant.

Plus there's this.

I'm not saying that I agree with Blue Star re: technological stagnation in general (I'd have to do a lot more research before I'd feel comfortable making a verdict), but 1956-1986 saw the introduction or at least widespread adoption of plenty of revolutionary technologies.

INH5 fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Nov 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread