Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
moebius2778
May 3, 2013

Ratios and Tendency posted:

What are some good books on AI and robotics theory and development?

Russell and Norvig is still one of the standard introductory AI textbooks.

What's your background/what are you aiming to learn?

(I can't really help with respect to robotics.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moebius2778
May 3, 2013

Thalantos posted:

So, we need a better test to determine if an AI is truly intelligent?

Essentially, yes.

Ideally, you should attempt to determine what you're trying to measure and how to measure it ahead of time. When you actually evaluate experimental results you'd like to be able to just focus on how well the system did, without trying to figure out whether you were doing the right experiment in the first place. Mind, you, you should be checking that as well, but more to figure out if you hosed up the experiment, than to try to find out reasons to explain away the system's performance.

Besides the Turing test, there's also the AI-hard/complete problems. In a certain sense, they suffer from the same basic problem as the Turing test (trying to determine if a system is intelligent without having a precise definition of intelligence), but they do have the advantage that solving an AI-hard problem is likely to be useful in of itself.

moebius2778
May 3, 2013

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Who is doing the supervision, is this an angel on the shoulder kind of thing? Because if it's just more humans then I think you're missing the entire point in your rush to um actually pedantry

A computer that is as smart and capable as a raven would be absolutely breathaking science-fiction bullshit. Hell, you're never going to see a computer as smart as a budgie in your lifetime.

....It kinda sounds like you're looking for an AI as smart as the totality of the human species, rather than an AI that's as smart as an individual average human.

moebius2778
May 3, 2013

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

what is it you suppose the totality of the human species is made of?

Individual humans. But I don't imagine that if you matched my brain up against the brains of the entire human species, I'd come off looking very smart. I suspect your average person wouldn't either, but I'm still not sure what intelligence is.

• Locked thread