Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Human-level AI isn't the closest or most dangerous thing on the horizon.

When Elon Musk talks about the dangers of AI, he's talking [edit: sp] about intelligent, proprietary marketing systems in the hands of the likes of Jeff Bezos. The danger, in his eyes, is AI and automation that reduces 99% of the world to pet status. His solution to prevent an AI-armed oligarchy is open source AI that is in everyone's hands, making AI a buddy or tool for everyone as opposed to an assistant for the rich.

Eccentricities of Elon aside, I ascribe to his spin on the likely coming AI dystopia.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Nov 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

The trick of an Amazon AI is that singularity doesn't need to happen for it to continue to widen the wealth gap and become dangerous to our liberties. It only needs to be good at what it is designed to do: make a lot of money for the guys holding its reins.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

TheNakedFantastic posted:

I don't think the centuries answer is very useful, it's a non answer that should just be "we don't know" instead of a timeline. If you look at the history of AI it's actually made very large amounts of progress despite several "winters" since the field began, especially recently. We're already on the verge (i.e. very good performance in a decade) of AI being competent enough to handle real world physical tasks (driving, locomotion, physical manipulation). Neural networks and machine learning have also been rapidly advancing in a way no one predicted even a decade ago. How close any of this puts us to human level AI isn't understood but I think people are being a bit too dismissive of a field that's less than a century old.

Its hard to care about the question of human AI when faced with all the little things weaksause-modern-AI is is already able to do for us. Can't cite a source atm, but I've read that truck driving constitute one of the larger / largest jobs in the states. Asking about the horizon on human ai is hard, but we can certainly place a 15-20 year rough horizon on prevalence of at least autopilot-assisted trucking in the US, if not total automation.

What's the difference between a sentient human AI that made you redundant versus a simple autopilot that made you redundant?

(I'm asking from a philosophical standpoint, I know automation and employment is a totally different discussion I'm oversimplifying massively here)

• Locked thread