Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

The answer to this entire discussion is 'quit listening to the poo poo waterfall that pours out of Big Yud'.

Human-intelligence AI will likely exist eventually as an accidental byproduct of something else more useful. However our current technology and understanding of sentience is such that it is inconceivable to even predict what we don't know with accuracy at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Cingulate posted:

Go take a bus. It will be a completely different world than what the same thing would have been 20 years ago. Everyone is looking at a tiny supercomputer in their hands, communicating with somebody either a few miles away, or possibly halfway around the globe. Everyone. This is extremely different from a bus ride in 1995.

That earlier poster's gotta be under 20.

It never ceases to boggle my mind that I now walk around with a computer in my pocket that's connected to the internet 24/7, and I can bullshit with my friends from Australia on Skype or IRC wherever I happen to be.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

Yes, quite. Are we talking about artificial intelligence, or artificial people?

Can you meaningfully distinguish the two?

• Locked thread