Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Your brain couldn't render a single frame even if you spent your whole life trying. Human visual processing is pathetic compared to a computer.

The visual sensory organs of living creatures--of which humans are a middling sample--are extraordinarily acute and to this day the only metric which technology has more reasonably approximated them has been in resolution which is a function of display development and not computational development. It's actually actively regressed in terms of ability to display/capture color information (video has a latitude of roughly 3.5 f-stops in either direction with black being incorrectably black and white being incorrectably white) with silver halide recording volumes of information through mechanical/chemical processes of which only 20% is actually perceptible by the eye without further processes to bring them into the visible color range. If human visual processing is so deficient, why is it such a bastard of a hurdle when making robots that respond to an array of visual stimuli? Of the five senses you could literally have not chosen one in which humans have more of an advantage.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

we are never going to hit "human level AI" because human isn't a level, it's a specific implementation.

you've completely hosed up describing the capacities and practical implementation of any average human eyeball, i am so stoked to hear your opinions on the practical implementation of The Human Being, In General

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Yeah, but what if I told you your brain was just a bunch of systems that excel at one task each and are terrible at anything else.

Those systems accumulate into the creation of a plastic experience and understanding of reality which, barring the understated and hugely difficult challenge of clinical depression, is incredibly dope and that you're blowing that part off as NBD is one of those things that says more about your personal values at the moment than the premise.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

So basically there isn't one INT score we need to jack up to get a computer to be good at both facial recognition and speaking spanish, but even if we got a computer that does both by separate means it'd still be a sucky android because it still wouldn't 'act' meaningfully human because it wouldn't have our dumb arbitrary biological biases, motivations and parameters, and probably never would unless you just simulated the human brain.

This concluding statement, in isolation, I agree with. An AI would probably simulate a human brain because yeah of course it would assuming it would be built by humans. We're humans, anthropormorphism is kind of our thing.

quote:

I am claiming that humans are not universal implementation of "planning, reasoning or introspection" and are just a bundle of a fairly arbitrary tool set. And even if you mimicked the skillset humans are also a very very arbitrary bundle of 'personality" stuff that is even more tied to biology so you still wouldn't have anything resembling data from star trek.

This rhetorical statement is dumb as poo poo though, which makes me think your problem isn't necessarily your point by itself but that to get to your ultimate point you talk a lot about things you don't know much about, which gets vaguely embarrassing for everyone involved when you make vast declamations about the rigid limits of the human condition.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
*lives in a society all day*

Ahhhh, time to sit down and develop thoughts with my consciousness about how humans are just a set of limited rules, convert those those thoughts to text using my fingers upon a machine with a physical interface whose operation I learned after birth, and then send that text out onto an informational network to be interpreted in turn by a set of other living creatures who respond in ways that elicit feelings that cannot be expressed in any of the physical senses. My only regret is there is nothing more whatsoever to this life defined by an arbitrary set of biological qualia!

• Locked thread