Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

cult member at airport posted:

I haven’t experienced too much blatant racism in my life, but that’s largely because I’ve always lived in multicultural areas around Toronto. I can’t say I’ve honestly ever feared for my life because of my skin color. I wonder if in the eyes of any of my white friends, coworkers, and neighbors, I am “one of the good ones”, because I’m westernized and don’t have an accent.

Lately there’s been a doomsday scenario that’s been I’ve been thinking about. I keep telling myself that it’s extremely unlikely but I can’t shake it. Here it is:

• There’s an explosion at a restaurant in Philly. As firefighters put out the blaze, Trump grabs his iPhone. Before the bodycount is known, before it can even be confirmed that the explosion wasn’t just the result of a gas leak, @POTUS tweets “Muslim Terrorist blew up that Vegan Restaurant. I promise I will get revenge for America!!" at 1 in the morning.
  • A drunk white guy in a Subway sees the CBS News chyron quoting Trump’s tweet. He picks a fight with a Muslim couple in the restaurant. He tells them to leave Philadelphia with a string of slurs and expletives. A fight ensues that ends with the Muslim man bleeding out after being stabbed over a dozen times. News of this event spreads rapidly, with headlines like “Trump inspires islamophobic murder”.
  • Rumors start to spread of more violence nationwide, potentially worldwide. Articles with headlines like “Undeniable proof that Muslim started It” and “Black Lives Matter declares ‘kill all whiteys’” and “Thousands of American Tourists killed in Middle East” start to spread. Twitter blocks the trending #KillAllMuslims hashtag, but not before it makes national news headlines. Factcheckers cannot keep up with all the blatant lies.
  • More people take up arms. Conspiracy theorists and sovereign citizens and religious extremists and gang members and second amendment people. A group of men in Phoenix don their red MAGA hats and declare open season on illegals. A UCLA student selectively targets "feminists and social justice warriors". A Muslim woman wearing a hijab is beaten to death by teenage hoodlums in London.
  • President Trump is blamed for starting an international race riot, but he denies any blame and insists that minorities are responsible for most of the violence and that “many people are saying that Muslims started it”.
  • Eventually the initial wave of violence ceases, but hate crimes skyrocket for the long-term.
  • Who know where things go from there. I’d like to believe Democrats would sweep in 2018 and 2020, calls for unity would prevail, and nationalist parties would lose hold worldwide… but I honestly don’t know. The wounds from an event like that would never heal, it could radically shift the politics of many countries forever.
Like I said, I know it’s highly unlikely. I know it’s an irrational fear. I started this thread to ask a few questions, and with the hope that I can put this fear to rest. I’ve got a few questions:

1. Are Nationalist and Racist ideologies going to become more prominent and powerful in the coming years? What about openly racist politicians or political parties?
2. What is racist culture like? What are the subcultures among racists? Are they just a fringe minority or do they have a significant influence in the USA and overseas? Who are their figureheads?
3. What is the extent of racism among groups like UKIP, Front National, and the Alt RIght? Is everyone aware of the racism but they’ve just learned to use Euphemisms to cover up their prejudice? Or do they genuinely believe they’re not racists?
4. Among the racist subculture, what groups are they more or less racist too? Are they all “all-or-nothing” racists or are some them okay with black people but against Arabs?
5. Do these people take fake conservative news sources seriously? Could they be susceptible to racist propaganda spread by various hate groups?
6. How improbable is the scenario I laid out above? Before you ask, yes I've already read that frontpage article.

Half the poo poo you lay out in your hypothetical already happens. It's not going to escalate into anything, it's just background noise in the US's long history of racial strife. I'll go down your questions.

1. Already are, already have been. The last few years have seen racists and nationalists making big gains all over the world. Not just in the US, but in Europe as well. Ever since 2008, pretty much.

2. You're living in it. While open racism is unacceptable to publicly express, the US never really got less racist - it just changed the framing and the language enough to give judges wiggle room.

3. A lot of racists, up to and including literal Klan members, genuinely believe that they are not racist. This is because many people consider racism to be "hating other races for no reason", and since they have plenty of reasons that they've rationalized up for their racism, they believe they're not racist. The reason this belief is so prevalent is because "racist" carries the connotation of "bad person", and no one thinks themselves to a bad person, so when faced with the possibility that their existing beliefs might be racist, their brain starts stretching and molding definitions and justifications as if they were Silly Putty in order to create a frame of mind in which they can hold racist beliefs without being a "bad person" like a racist. They dont want to be a racist, but rather than changing their beliefs to avoid being racist, they change the definition of racism to avoid changing their beliefs...and they largely got away with it because everyone around them was doing pretty much the same thing, so that changed definition is firmly rooted in much of our culture now.

4. Of course racists have hierarchies. There's all sorts. For example, most Western Islamophobic neo-Nazis are willing to partner with Jews and Israel to combat Muslims and Arabs, who they see as a bigger threat.

5. Everyone's willing to believe fake news that supports what they already think is true. That's not just a conservative thing.

6. Most people willing to go out and do something in response to a fake racist news article are already doing that in response to the fake racist news that already gets published on a daily basis. The violence will just ramp up somewhat under Trump; there won't be a fundamental change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread