Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

Munkeymon posted:

Re: Special Request from an Investor

No. Absolutely not. Look up in the old wikis what happened when we made one for one of the original angel investors in his 2nd(?) wife's younger image. He died shortly thereafter and it was so messed up after reprogramming that all it was good for was repeating a script to and getting hosed by incoming guests. Hundreds of hours of programming multiple times for an uninteresting walking sex kiosk just isn't worth it.
:golfclap:

this is a reference to talulah riley's character right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Cocoa Crispies posted:

we need some kind of content filtering, some smartass guest said their name was "wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww" and diagnostics are taking forever

Sagebrush posted:

Ticket #DL00189282

Departments: Maintenance, Guest Services

Description: guest ID HH2501 has spent the last four days collecting horses from all over the park, retiring their riders where necessary, and herding them into a cabin in sector 18A. at last count he's got fourteen of them. it's not completely clear what he's doing with them because the cabin's cameras have been inop since the incident described in T#00120184. however, infrared scans from the Sector 21 thermal station show regular, repeated periods of elevated heart rate and the horses' human-proximity protocols are being constantly triggered, so take a guess.
anyway, point is the environmental sensors are indicating a trend in methane and hydrogen sulfide that'll take them both to toxic levels in the next 20 hours, and ten of the horses are reporting empty synthnure tanks. I know we're not supposed to interfere with a guest's experience or judge their personal preferences/behavior in the park, but someone should at least head up there and evaluate the situation. we don't want another incident like T#00049124.

Priority: Medium

Subject: Name Blacklist

Body: To follow up, we need to set limits on specific names. I've seen too many "Mr. Hands" and don't get me started on our old friend, goats.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

the older hosts should install gen two linux

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Cocoa Crispies posted:

we need some kind of content filtering, some smartass guest said their name was "wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww" and diagnostics are taking forever

You should really yell at Todd for that, since it was intern's bright idea to fix the "left curly bracket" incident with /^[A-z]* and the smug fucker let the poor kid run with it.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

jony ive aces posted:

:golfclap:

this is a reference to talulah riley's character right

:tipshat:

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Does anyone else think the diagnostics process would be less error prone if our method of identifying whether a host was lying to us wasn't just to ask the host if they're lying to us?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

indigi posted:

here's another issue the security team would like resolved: at the moment there's only two ways to subdue a host in the field: tell it to stop, or fill it with holes/bash its head in until it stops. this seems really stupid.

TO FOLLOW UP ON THIS:

has there been any progress? secondary solutions are needed ASAP. I don't know what the gently caress was in that update you goddamn eggheads just dumped, but it's really hosed with hosts' perception of reality, and they have their own Fight Club now. two of our guys have broken noses and one has a fractured wrist trying to haul a functioning example up to QA.

this could of course be resolved by having a backup of host's brains but we all know Ford's more likely to ok a new gun or some bullshit than implement industry standard data practices

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Chalks posted:

Does anyone else think the diagnostics process would be less error prone if our method of identifying whether a host was lying to us wasn't just to ask the host if they're lying to us?

It's like our diagnostic procedures are designed for the benefit of some imaginary, third party observer and not for the benefit of the tech. I understand the usefulness of spoken diagnostics from say, the perspective of a behavior tech, but auditing an access log? It just makes my job slow and error prone.

And why the gently caress cant we perform a simple diagnostic remotely?

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
Okay so to cut a long story short it looks like a guest has chosen the name '; DROP TABLE guests; --

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
guess we'll have to fast track that voice authentication/registration kiosk for the guests when it barely works down here in the basement!

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Siljmonster posted:

WSTWRLD-14567 - Issues with Horse Hosts

Steps to reproduce:
1. Have any user permissions.
2. Bring a horse near any water feature in the park.
3. Horse kills itself in many different manners.

Expected: Horses do not kill themselves.
This is a feature, not a bug.

I know we don't have many biologists on board but horses killing themselves is entirely normal horse behavior.

Horse hosts can panic and expire of a heart attack or self-inflicted injury under the following conditions:

Proximity to water
Sudden Sounds
Also Silence
Thinking about ants
Hearing a bee
Changes in humidity

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
a little quick back of the envelope math shows that it would have been much cheaper if we just got real horses instead of paying to develop and maintain robot horses. once in a while a horse gets killed or whatever, we just get a new one. it would still cost less than rendering a new horse on the big fabrication machines.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
let's not even talk about birds and squirrels and snakes. some idiot had to spend years of their life writing code to make these things work when they could have just dumped a few real ones in there and let them reproduce and do their thing

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
FWD: PLEASE CLEAN THE BREAK ROOM HOST

THIS IS DISGUSTING HOW CAN YOU GUYS KEEP DOING THAT TO THE HOST, CLEAN IT UP AFTER USE!

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Siljmonster posted:

FWD: PLEASE CLEAN THE BREAK ROOM HOST

THIS IS DISGUSTING HOW CAN YOU GUYS KEEP DOING THAT TO THE HOST, CLEAN IT UP AFTER USE!

dude, it might be Ford. I swear to god half the time I go down to storage it smells like rear end in a top hat and musty old balls. I think he gets off on employees seeing his handiwork

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
Someone flashed the wrong image to the goddamn rattlesnake hosts and they're following people around and trying to play fetch. For gently caress's sake check your hashes people

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The Management posted:

a little quick back of the envelope math shows that it would have been much cheaper if we just got real horses instead of paying to develop and maintain robot horses. once in a while a horse gets killed or whatever, we just get a new one. it would still cost less than rendering a new horse on the big fabrication machines.

it's always because of the Good Samaritan protocols, every animal host has the same code running and are always trying to evaluate when a guest is in danger and will try and save the guest.

the safety of billionaires is more important than setting up a svn server you see. (tip; don't say git around ford)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

(tip; don't say git around ford)

Just in case any of you first-years are wondering why, try to imagine what happens when your robots' diagnostic interface is entirely verbal, they all run fuzzy-logic best-guess sentence matching protocols on anything they hear, they all use git for firmware updates and rollbacks, and they're walking around a park full of cowboys on horses.

Yeah.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Re: Lawsuit

Full QA incident report is attached.

tl;dr: guest stumbles off the return train drunk off his rear end and demands to see a human rep. then starts swearing in Slovenian, so the QA team thinks he's having a medical incident because he's fat as hell, stumbling around and incomprehensible, which isn't helped when he starts yelling about how 'I am Barron' or something, so they sedate him and call paramedics. Who names a person that? Anyway, I can assure you that none of the QA staff are actually hosts so it's categorically false that he was accosted by "skinjobs" as I understand he keept calling them.

Oh, the reason he was so mad? I guess he was deeply offended that there was a black (decidedly not the word he used) host in a Union uniform serving with white hosts... yeah

e: kinda new to salr - this quick reply thing is weird

Munkeymon fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Dec 2, 2016

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Siljmonster posted:

WSTWRLD-14567 - Issues with Horse Hosts

Steps to reproduce:
1. Have any user permissions.
2. Bring a horse near any water feature in the park.
3. Horse kills itself in many different manners.

Expected: Horses do not kill themselves.

WONTFIX: works as intended

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

aw boo there was another page.

Fabricated posted:

This is a feature, not a bug.

I know we don't have many biologists on board but horses killing themselves is entirely normal horse behavior.

Horse hosts can panic and expire of a heart attack or self-inflicted injury under the following conditions:

Proximity to water
Sudden Sounds
Also Silence
Thinking about ants
Hearing a bee
Changes in humidity

nice!

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Hey have we ever considered some kind of "kill switch" + Beacon if a host hasn't checked in after X hours or something? I mean it just seems like a basic thing when we have unit's roaming around a huge loving park.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
the fact that we don't know where our assets are located every second is a huge problem. they should be constantly sending out their location and any host that hasn't received a location approval response from our NOC in a few minutes should immediately start heading home.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Right right, we know about the wireless problems, but Corporate is worried that 100% coverage would ruin the "mystique" of the park. So I'm just suggesting a workaround. We could use black helicopters at night to comb the park for missing units.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

from the Desk of Robert Ford

MEMORANDUM
ATT: BOARD

It has come to my attention that there is once again a murmur of something being rotten in the state of Westworld.

I'm sure you'll find that the park has run perfectly – and without interruption might I add – for its entire existence. Here, there are no accidents, as a painter once said.

But if some of you do have doubts, I invite you to schedule an individual meeting with Bernard Lowe from Programming. I'm positive he will allay your fears; after all he's been here almost since day one.

–Ford

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Dec 3, 2016

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof
Sorry, chief. When you gave me those instructions, I thought you meant the corrupted host images on the deployment server.

So... what did you mean when you told me to wipe the loads?

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

The Management posted:

the fact that we don't know where our assets are located every second is a huge problem. they should be constantly sending out their location and any host that hasn't received a location approval response from our NOC in a few minutes should immediately start heading home.

Yeah, Ford keeps vetoing that, it's like he's still stuck in the 21st century or somesuch bullshit.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

Just in case any of you first-years are wondering why, try to imagine what happens when your robots' diagnostic interface is entirely verbal, they all run fuzzy-logic best-guess sentence matching protocols on anything they hear, they all use git for firmware updates and rollbacks, and they're walking around a park full of cowboys on horses.

Yeah.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

Yeah.

never mind all the giant binaries half the API calls into. and who the gently caress is Arnold and why didn't he write any documentation or tests on that poo poo?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

$ objdump -xD host.o

*** ascii-denis-nedry: "a-a-ah" ***

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
Gptions, please select:

1: Boot in safe mode
2: Boot in safe mode with fetwgrking
3: Start Wastwgrld ngrmally

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

C.H.O.M.E posted:

Gptions, please select:

1: Boot in safe mode
2: Boot in safe mode with fetwgrking
3: Start Wastwgrld ngrmally

*train plonk-klonking along ties & gravel, several inches misaligned*

desperate loudspeakers: "Welcgme toWastwgrld!"

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

*slams tweet down on desk* Bad news, folks!

https://twitter.com/Jonny_Wags/status/804912806566969344

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Sagebrush posted:

Yeah.

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

The Management posted:

let's not even talk about birds and squirrels and snakes. some idiot had to spend years of their life writing code to make these things work when they could have just dumped a few real ones in there and let them reproduce and do their thing

I've been asking for years to use bird hosts for remote observation since we keep setting fire to huge amounts of cash renting satellite time, but it always gets shot down during sprint planning meetings.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Seems that our old hosts are vulnerable to CVE-2115-023423, and are now part of a botnet ddossing china.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

another day working in the westworld animal lab. everyone keeps asking me if they can gently caress the horses. buddy, they wont even let me gently caress the horses.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

>> Guys I keep seeing pictures of my friends and family on stock image sites and I sneeze every time someone uses the microwave. this wouldn't really bother me, but hr just sent me a congratulations for twenty-five years with the company and I'm only 32. definitely asking ford about this at our meeting in the basement later.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

theflyingexecutive posted:

another day working in the westworld animal lab. everyone keeps asking me if they can gently caress the horses. buddy, they wont even let me gently caress the horses.

>> Guys I keep seeing pictures of my friends and family on stock image sites and I sneeze every time someone uses the microwave. this wouldn't really bother me, but hr just sent me a congratulations for twenty-five years with the company and I'm only 32. definitely asking ford about this at our meeting in the basement later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

lmbo

• Locked thread