Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
this is the first bullet hell type game i've played, and i'm not very good, lol

it's a cool game though. i got it in the last steam sale, and i've already put a few hours into it. i think treasure hunter is my favorite class. i can at least reliably beat the first level now, unless gatling gull is the boss, he always wrecks me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

this game is loving awesome and also really hard. youll get the hang of it

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
gatling gull is probably the boss i can most reliably perfect clear, which is funny. not sure if you've realized yet but if you beat a boss without taking damage you get a bonus drop from them that gives +1 max HP. clearing rooms without taking damage also gives you more money and better chances at key/ammo/etc drops. being good at dodging is really important basically.

edit: getting unlocks makes the game generally a lot easier because some of the stuff you can buy is really good ... however, as you unlock stuff, harder enemies will start spawning from the get-go (sort of like a slow, incremental version of Everything Is Terrible from Binding of Isaac) but they also drop more $$ which evens things out.

goferchan fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Nov 28, 2016

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I enjoy this game quite a bit but I'm way better at nuclear throne so I play more of that

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
Yah I enjoy playing it but I'm terrible I think I've only made it to the 4th floor once or twice. It's still fun to casually go through and unlock new stuff though.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

the scary thing about this game is that the first 3 floors are just a warmup for 4 & 5 where poo poo goes bonkers

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Content update soon, gungeoneers.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
idk how, but devolver is a consistently amazing studio

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

sector_corrector posted:

idk how, but devolver is a consistently amazing studio

hotline miami 2 was real bad

but most of their stuff is awfully good yea

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
It's a good game. I once had an insane run where I had the Scrambler, Backup Gun, and Scattershot, which meant I was firing six shots in all directions which all turned into smaller bullets which homed in on enemies. It killed everything, and was the first time I made it to the Forge.

Biggest complaint is that it starts off pretty slowly compared to something like BoI.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

You get better drops the better you play so it will get better as you do.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I have this on PS4 but I thought it was too slow to get into and put 100 hours into nuclear throne instead

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

In Training posted:

I have this on PS4 but I thought it was too slow to get into and put 100 hours into nuclear throne instead

its better than nuclear throme

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

trying to jack off posted:

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

the first floor is painfully slow tho, but it was designed as basically a tutorial to practice the mechanics. it amps up quickly and the loving raven always manages to hit me

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Alain Post posted:

It's a good game. I once had an insane run where I had the Scrambler, Backup Gun, and Scattershot, which meant I was firing six shots in all directions which all turned into smaller bullets which homed in on enemies. It killed everything, and was the first time I made it to the Forge.

Biggest complaint is that it starts off pretty slowly compared to something like BoI.

BoI starts off really slowly, or at least the original did. Was the remake faster at the start?

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

PleasingFungus posted:

BoI starts off really slowly, or at least the original did. Was the remake faster at the start?

it start off slow. that guy is insane

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

trying to jack off posted:

I disagree but they're shooting for different styles I suppose. Nuclear throne is my favorite roguelike ever because it's actually just an arcade game

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

devolver didn't make gungeon or hotline miami you numpties, they're a publisher.

edit; also gungeon is weak poo poo compared to nuclear throne

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Enter the gungeon is an Isaac style game and nuclear throne is a straight up bullet hell game but you play a mutant instead of a spaceship

They're both good but enter the gungeon seems to take more effort to play, where as in nuclear throne I just have to move around and mash the fire button

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
its good fun. i like it more than isaac. though it has its downsides

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
it took me approx 35 runs to beat the dragun for the first time whereas i beat all of the isaac bosses as soon as i unlocked them. so its nice and challenging

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I like gungeon much much more than isaac but a lot of it is the art not being just poo poo and flies everywhere

Larry Parrish posted:

Enter the gungeon is an Isaac style game and nuclear throne is a straight up bullet hell game but you play a mutant instead of a spaceship

They're both good but enter the gungeon seems to take more effort to play, where as in nuclear throne I just have to move around and mash the fire button

Once you figure out how to play enter the gungeon is much easier though, stuff like the invincible roll lets you make a lot of mistakes and still recover

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Once you figure out how to play enter the gungeon is much easier though, stuff like the invincible roll lets you make a lot of mistakes and still recover
Fish can roll.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

FactsAreUseless posted:

Fish can roll.

Yeah but in nuclear throne that's the starting, get used to the game character. In Gungeon everyoen does it and the games designed around it

Also it feels like in nuclear throne you can mess up and die really quickly, in gungeon you get kind of overwhelmed but have time to react

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Yeah but in nuclear throne that's the starting, get used to the game character. In Gungeon everyoen does it and the games designed around it

Also it feels like in nuclear throne you can mess up and die really quickly, in gungeon you get kind of overwhelmed but have time to react
I think they're just designed differently. It's harder to die in Gungeon, but the penalties are worse because each Gungeon run is way longer. In Throne you're just expected to die a lot and just start over, because a successful game is like... 20 minutes to half an hour.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

FactsAreUseless posted:

I think they're just designed differently. It's harder to die in Gungeon, but the penalties are worse because each Gungeon run is way longer. In Throne you're just expected to die a lot and just start over, because a successful game is like... 20 minutes to half an hour.

Oh yeah and a bad first floor in gungeon can kinda ruin the rest of your run too

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Oh yeah and a bad first floor in gungeon can kinda ruin the rest of your run too
Yeah. One of the things I like about Nuclear Throne is that I'm not so focused on resource management. I'd like to see Gungeon increase both the number of enemies and the frequency of ammo and new guns, while decreasing enemy health. But what makes Gungeon a good game is that its biggest issues are just "I'd prefer the numbers to be this way." The actual movement, dodging, etc. all feel really good.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

I'm gonna play this some today

edit: some of the big secret unlock requirements are insane and I've done everything in Isaac that doesn't involve winning with The Lost

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i played in two sessions today. the first one i couldn't beat any of the lvl 1 bosses and it made me feel like poo poo. the second session i beat all of the lvl 1 bosses i found, got to the secret fireplace room for the first time, and beat gatling gull for the first time, and then got the furthest i've made it into the second floor. felt pretty good. i also almost perfected twin bullets, but got clipped for half a heart when the last dude had a sliver of health.

Yobgoblin
Mar 19, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Clapping Larry
memorize their paterns

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Nice work homie. After you get into the fireplace room for the first time (or maybe you have to also clear the secret level?) the game starts spawning a water barrel like right next to the fireplace on future runs so it's not as much of a hassle on later attempts, which is a very thoughtful touch. Honestly it's a really solid game, I think the general impression at launch though was frustrating for a lot of ppl because drop rates were worse (and they still feel a little stingy now ... but it helps if you know that not getting hit = more items, and being low on ammo means more ammo drops so don't feel like you need to hoard bullets). They've improved all that with patches though and there's another free update coming soon with new guns and a new boss and some more tweaks, i'm really happy they're still developing it

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

goferchan posted:

not getting hit = more items
Woah. Is this new?

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I think it's always been that way. You get a heart container for flawlessly beating a boss, too.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

FactsAreUseless posted:

Woah. Is this new?

lol i can't find anything to back this up so maybe i'm totally wrong and this was just speculation i took as fact. it's a good attitude to have and a great motivator though even if it's a lie :)

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

goferchan posted:

lol i can't find anything to back this up so maybe i'm totally wrong and this was just speculation i took as fact. it's a good attitude to have and a great motivator though even if it's a lie :)

Here's a dev post on it: https://www.reddit.com/r/EnterTheGungeon/comments/4ek3sm/to_anyone_confused_about_drops_we_asked_a_dev/

So it's only money, I guess, for basic dudes. But you get a heart container for bosses.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

Woah. Is this new?

yeah its true. additionally, you tend to get more ammo the more ammo you use.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i feel like i don't get keys for room clears unless it's flawless, but maybe i'm imagining that

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I.N.R.I posted:

yeah its true. additionally, you tend to get more ammo the more ammo you use.
Wow. Huh. I guess I've just gotten unlucky. I'll have to play a few games again and check it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

sector_corrector posted:

i feel like i don't get keys for room clears unless it's flawless, but maybe i'm imagining that

I know there's some behind the scenes RNG cheating going on where if you're out of keys you're more likely to get em too. Basically don't hoard your poo poo

• Locked thread