Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Litler posted:

This thread is a little less glowing than I was hoping - I put this off last year due to the price, and only just getting into board gaming. Instead I picked up Mage Knight & Descnt, which I really like. I've currently pledged for this KS and now I'm not so sure; for the critics within the thread, what would you recommend instead, and would you recommend it over what I have already? The Berserk aesthetic + monster hunter vibe really does it for me.

Depends what you want to get out of it! I've heard some people recommend the newish dungeon crawler from flying frog, but what do you want:

Dungeon Crawler
Gear Crafter
Narrative Campaign
Co-op gameplay with friends

Despite everything the thread is saying, you can really sum up the game as "Ameritrash as hell". Flashy components, good production values, randomness occurs, but these elements allow it to have a story impact on you as a player. I love Euros, but they don't tell a story. Stabbing a lion to death by your final blow cutting off his nuts, then using those same nuts in congunction with some lion femur to make an axe, then killing the gently caress out of people with your awesome ball axe can feel cool. Or, you can think that sounds lame, childish, and repulsive at the same time.

Wazzu fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Jan 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Phi230 posted:

From all the marketing and discussion of the game I don't really see the "lovely rape demon" stuff outside of the "pinups"

if its really that bad I won't buy this game but somebody who actually owns it pray tell

Some of the optional expansion monsters are pretty drat close to rape demons. The new bee one, some of Slender Man, etc. Read the quick descriptions given on the kickstarter combined with the images to judge by your personal standards.

I would personally say it's more the just weird and blatantly sexist thing of all the women have large breasts that are barely covered. The tone isn't generally rapey (again, some of the monsters are worse on this front), just everyone is weirdly naked despite the situation, and thus awful things happen to nearly naked people.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Ettin posted:

Hey folks! Fair warning: I am going to start probating people for saying "retard/retarded" more often in 2017, so ease up in the future.

Also, according to the chat thread Paizo and Kingdom Death are doing a crossover. I feel like that is in this thread's wheelhouse, so there you go.

Yeah, an expansion, they've revealed that the classic 4 'iconic' characters from pathfinder are getting Kingdom Death style miniatures, and a neat campaign, with things to kinda maybe sorta throw a little bit of pathfinder into Kingdom Death.

Seems like it could be fun for some, and a great way to cross over some Pathfinder people into playing, just seems like it's presently the worst dollar value expansion they're releasing.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

HazCat posted:

Today was the day of getting people in the all-in reward levels to throw in some more money. Extra dice, extra bases, and a big, pricey 'misc add on'; none of which are included in the bundled pledge levels. A lot of people who haven't had to add any extra money all campaign are suddenly throwing in $60-$100 on top of their $777/$1666/$2000 pledges.

I think the False Messengers pack is strictly worse value though? Same cost, same model count, but no plans for any game cards, gear cards or events?

False messengers is also a collection of previous pinups under another name. And sweet jesus, latest expansion is $150, sure it comes with stuff, but my god that's an expensive expansion.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Cuntellectual posted:

That sucks. The game was being sold to me as a sort of Darkest Dungeon-y Monster Hunter-y thing which sounded pretty cool but if there's not really much to the combat then it doesn't seem worth it.

Is there anything like that, since KDM is apparently a wash? IE, a game about dungeon crawling or fighting big monsters with a metagame for when you almost certainly lose a character or two?

I mean at least those you don't need to painstakingly paint. :v:

There isn't any mention of cards, just the models.

The game isn't perfect, but I still have had fun playing it with friends. While some of the decisions are obvious, others are balancing probability (what will it most likely do if we attack it? What order should we go in?) I believe the most fun you can have facing a monster is learning about it. The different AI it will have every battle, and what hit locations can come up, seeing what it can and can't do, and learning how to adapt each fight, and how it changes at higher levels of the same monster. Since I'm talking about how not knowing how the creatures fight can be a lot of the fun, spoilers follow the lion level A and 1 are pretty simple, with the main tactic you'll learn is to go behind it, to more accurately stab and try and manage who the lion can see (since it will only attack visible enemies and can't see directly behind itself). Level 2 lion adds in the mechanic that it will grab one survivor and run off to attack it, changing how it fights and your party has to learn to adapt. But the second enemy you'll encounter (assuming no expansions) is the antelope, and one of the things it does sometimes is a backwards kick, so you can't fight it the same as a lion. The lion also is primarily physical as a threat, whereas the antelope is also a threat to the mind. The Antelope uses the terrain more than the lion, you start with a bunch of plants in the area, and the antelope will want to eat them to heal, whereas you want to harvest them to use - letting you balance risk, reward, and it having an action that isn't attacking you.

Though most criticisms in this thread are real. Hell, as Poots fully supports, I'll probably be house ruling the poo poo out of the game when I get it, I think some of the poo poo in there is stupid. But I want to play more.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Vehementi posted:

Awesome. Let me be the first to say: Anyone having buyer's remorse and want to sell their KS account without gouging me 50%? Just heard about the game and super bummed that I've missed out on everything.

They have the 'request late pledge' option on the KS. You'd likely be jumping into a not great tier, but it's your best option. Poots did say he didn't support selling pledges.

Meanwhile I keep being tempted to add additional stuff. Frogdog, Nightmare Ram, Black knight etc. Then I see I've already managed to look at spending $740. Holy poo poo.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

the most confusing thing about this whole experience, to me, is that even if someone were to want to buy all the rape miniatures with the intention of playing a barbie game with them, the board game is almost impossible to buy. was the second kickstarter supposed to fix this issue?

Somewhat. Poots has kind of horrible business sense, and while all signs point to him delivering what he's promised this time (through much more sensible pricing and less freebies), the first had a cancelled expansion, and he somehow made a loss on it. Hopefully in the fallout of this you'll be able to purchase the game.....but at $400 compared to $250 kickstarter, and other similar markups across the board.

So with his massive influx of money it should be available, for people full of remorse for not getting it cheaper. The fact that people are sad they didn't get in on the $1,666 level really is a sign of how much people are willing to throw at Poots, as well as how much stuff he's released.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

HazCat posted:

Nope.

But you can get a pinup model who literally represents a giant ball of poo poo.

I almost don't get why Poots doesn't make it easier for people to use the pinup versions of the monsters by just offering Pinup Dung Beetle kit for people who don't want any monster in their game, just sexy ladies.

But he knows that people are willing to pay all of the money. Dung Beetle Knight - $30. Pinup Knight and Dung Ball - another $30. Give it time and pinup white lion, pinup screaming antelope etc. will be released until it can just be sexy people fighting in a sexy wasteland of sexy death.

Cat Face Joe posted:

why are rape games and titty models the only kind of "art" these people worry about being censored

I think the only think censoring Poots is his wife and possibly friends.

Unless Kickstarter actually has a thing where your Titty Miniatures can be erotic/ridiculous, but NO NIPPLES

Wazzu fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Mar 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

LordAba posted:

Again, Gloomhaven has more cards for a fraction of the price.
Millennium Blades has over 700 unique cards (with duplicates taking that into the 1000s) for a fraction of the price (no minis).

I'm not sure why Kingdom Death is so expensive other than artificial scarcity and bad planning.

13 Plastic injection miniatures, compared with high quality multi part plastic miniatures, 7 big monsters, 34 human (28 multi part).

An important part is also that people got excited for the first kickstarter, then more excited when the game came out because playing it, or heard the hype. Gloomhaven was some kickstarter game, first time designer, not amazingly regarded company.

FiestaNinja posted:

These guys don't even try do they?

http://i.imgur.com/Dm6t9pZ.png

Compelling and un-generic = sculptor got an erection.

There are lovely things about that model, the shield, the mix of hair and horns, the monster worm on its base. But the balloon tits, skimpy clothing and awful physics on the bottle ruin it.

• Locked thread