Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I find I have a consistent problem when looking for books to read, specifically funny novels. They're never classified as comedy. Douglas Adams is shelved under sci-fi, Terry Pratchett's under fantasy, and if there is a humour section it's full of memoirs and parodies. So how do you find good, funny stories, other than by stumbling across them unexpectedly or following specific authors?

For anyone else having the same problem, I'll start by listing some that I've found and enjoyed. Some of them you've probably already heard of, if not read, but I might as well list them anyway.

So that's what I've got. What are some other funny books/authors? How do you find good stuff to read?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

OWLS! posted:

Sewer, Gas and Electric: The Public Works Trilogy - Matt Ruff.
I've read Bad Monkeys. Is this similar?

chernobyl kinsman posted:

catch-22, heller
the master and margarita, bulgakov
I've read both of these and didn't like either of them or find them at all funny. I do like Vonnegut, but don't find him especially funny.

Trin Tragula posted:

Yeah, we're all in the same boat here, I think. I generally find new people to read by finding someone I enjoy and then working backwards through their influences (and then back forwards through people that those influences said they enjoyed); Pratchett and Adams lead directly to PG Wodehouse (do not pass Go, do not collect £200); and then through Wodehouse you get to turn-of-the-century stuff like Jerome K Jerome, and Diary of a Nobody; and then back forward via Wodehouse to George Macdonald Fraser.
Wodehouse is really good, I should have included him in my original list. I'll have to try Jerome and Fraser.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

learnincurve posted:

Funny is subjective, but If you like your murder mysteries then James Anderson wrote three terrifically funny books in the 1970s. They are parodies of 1930s detective stories but with a decent mystery thrown in.

The Affair of the Bloodstained Egg Cosy, The Affair of the Mutilated Mink, and The Affair of the 39 Cufflinks.

Then he died on us so there aren't any more :(

These definitely sound like something I will enjoy.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Ride The Gravitron posted:

Im saddened that no one recommend Christopher Moore.
Well, I am still (always) looking for recommendations.

BTW, I've now read:

Three Men in a Boat - It was uneven, but the good bits were good.
A Confederacy of Dunces - Didn't like it at all or find anything funny about it.
Diary of a Nobody - Same.
The Affair of the Bloodstained Egg Cosy - enjoyed it but didn't find it particularly funny. Just struck me as a pretty standard cosy rather than a parody of the genre.

I've taken note of the other suggestions as well and added several to my reading queue.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Peanut Butler posted:

there are more genuine gut laughs in that book than expected, especially if you only know safe, relatively defanged Senator Franken and not the guy who liberally wrote gently caress words and portrayed himself in this book as an increasingly attention-hungry curmudgeon who lays sick burns on Al Gore

And what if I have no idea who Al Franken is at all? How much do you need to know about American politics of the time to enjoy it?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

learnincurve posted:

This next one is Mrs Pollifax series by Dorothy Gilman (written 1966-1990)

Just read The Elusive Mrs. Pollifax. It wasn't funny.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

precision posted:

The Widow's Son is hilarious.

There are a lot of books called that. Which one are you referring to?

(The search also turned up Their Son's Amish Baby (Expectant Amish Widows Book 4), which sounds like... something.)

Edit:

Amazon.com posted:

Also in this series:
Amish Widow's Hope
The Pregnant Amish Widow
Amish Widow's Faith
Amish Widow's Proposal
The Pregnant Amish Nanny
A Pregnant Widow's Amish Vacation
The Amish Firefighter's Widow
Amish Widow's Secret
The Middle-Aged Amish Widow
Amish Widow's Escape
Amish Widow's Christmas
Book 13 Amish Widow's New Hope (2017 New Release Out Now!)

All Samantha Price books are clean and wholesome reads.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I picked up the first Mortdecai book at a second-hand book sale recently and just read it this week. It's really good and funny.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Vogler posted:

I've laughed more reading Céline's novels than all other books put together. His name isn't mentioned in this thread so I have to bump it.

Who?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Vogler posted:

Louis-Ferdinand Céline, one of the few originals. There's hardly any subversive litterature that's not been inspired by him.

I can't find anything by him in English on Kindle. I don't know if it's not available at all or if I'm just in the wrong country, but either way I guess I won't be reading it. :shrug:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Wrong country it is then. That shows up as unavailable for me. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

A human heart posted:

this is why kindles are stupid

A human heart posted:

ah, i can't find an ebook of celine in my region. i could pirate it in like two seconds, or go to a library and get a physical copy, but instead i'm going to read douglas adams for the 18th time.
These two posts don't seem to go together. Don't ereaders enable piracy?

• Locked thread