Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

TheSmilingJackal posted:

I've enjoyed A. Lee Martinez's books, particularly Divine Misfortune and Chasing the Moon. All his books are in wildly different genres but are funny- if you like one you'll probably like the others.

A. Lee's pretty hit or miss, I've found. His first book I read was Gil's All fright Diner, which was all right. Divine Misfortune was funny, though. I'd recommend that one - it's cute. He feels like a not as good Tom Holt, maybe?

Lisa Lutz's Spellman Files are fantastic books, funny as hell. They center around a dysfunctional family of private detectives, with the elder daughter being the main character. If you like Christopher Moore or James Morrow or Carl Hiaasan or those types, it's really fantastic. Not only is it funny, it's also smart. I really, really enjoyed them.
The series is complete - it's like, six books, I think.

Walter Moers writes adult novels of Dr Seuss books, but are still fantastic for children. I absolutely loved The 13.5 lives of Captain Bluebear.

Historical comedy has some legs with Pyrates by George Fraser. I think it's fantastic. Sometimes the humor can be a bit dry, but there you go.

Stephen Brust wrote a really hilarious love letter to Alexander Dumas and the Three Musketeers with his [urll=http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/133460.The_Phoenix_Guards?ac=1&from_search=true]Khaavren Romance[/url] series. It's high fantasy detective and court intrigue stuff. Really fantastic. There are some very funny moments, but you definitely won't laugh throughout the entire book/series.

Max Barry, of course, has some funny stuff. Jennifer GOvernment is nice, and Machine Man was his most recent I'd read, which was okay, too.

And of course Barry Hughart's Bridge of Birds stuff is god damned hilarious.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Feb 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I've been trying to read some books by Tom Holt, currently reading Valhalla, and boy are they loving mediocre. They're not confusing, they're not informationally dense in any way, they're just not funny or particularly interesting.

They were sold to me as some type of fusion of Douglas Adams and Terry Pratchett, but NOOOOOOOOOPE. It's weird because I think it was revealed that Tom Holt was writing under the pseudonym K.J. Parker as well. Boy, it sure doesn't seem like they're the same person.

• Locked thread