Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Tiggum posted:

I find I have a consistent problem when looking for books to read, specifically funny novels. They're never classified as comedy. Douglas Adams is shelved under sci-fi, Terry Pratchett's under fantasy, and if there is a humour section it's full of memoirs and parodies. So how do you find good, funny stories, other than by stumbling across them unexpectedly or following specific authors?

For anyone else having the same problem, I'll start by listing some that I've found and enjoyed. Some of them you've probably already heard of, if not read, but I might as well list them anyway.

So that's what I've got. What are some other funny books/authors? How do you find good stuff to read?
None of these books are classified as comedy because none of them are funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

William Gaddis wrote some funny novels OP

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

BananaNutkins posted:

Funny and literary rarely mix.

that's completely wrong

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

here's the facts: the only human to have combined 'funny' and 'literature' is this guy named kurt vonnegut

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

it turns out that there's two funny authors in the world - kurt vonnegut and a united states senator

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Bandiet posted:

For more fun things like this, see: Klaus Kinski's memoirs.

That book is really funny, and it's basically a novel

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Huggybear posted:

The Pyat quartet by Michael Moorcock definitely has its moments, though Pyat is an absolutely unredeemable racist and pedophile
you're saying this like it's a bad thing but the same applies to like 40% of funny european literature

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

That's a really weird thing to say about Tristram shandy.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Kikkoman posted:

Norm Macdonald's Based on a True Story: A Memoir reads more like a novel than any kind of regular comedian memoir and is hilarious throughout.

that's because it is a novel, and not a memoir

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Tiggum posted:

I can't find anything by him in English on Kindle. I don't know if it's not available at all or if I'm just in the wrong country, but either way I guess I won't be reading it. :shrug:

this is why kindles are stupid

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

ah, i can't find an ebook of celine in my region. i could pirate it in like two seconds, or go to a library and get a physical copy, but instead i'm going to read douglas adams for the 18th time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

David Wrong

• Locked thread