Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Funny is subjective, but If you like your murder mysteries then James Anderson wrote three terrifically funny books in the 1970s. They are parodies of 1930s detective stories but with a decent mystery thrown in.

The Affair of the Bloodstained Egg Cosy, The Affair of the Mutilated Mink, and The Affair of the 39 Cufflinks.

Then he died on us so there aren't any more :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Tiggum posted:

Jerome and Fraser.

Careful with Jerome. 3 men in a boat is funny, but there are books where he kind of loses interest halfway though and a couple where he bangs on and on about religion and god in a way that will piss off Christians and atheists alike. These are not funny at all. All Roads Lead to Calvary is the worst example of this and a horrible sanctimonious steaming turd of a book that you should save yourself from.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Tiggum posted:

These definitely sound like something I will enjoy.

Funny mysteries without too much blood and guts are my thing :)

You should also check out Amelia Peabody books by Elizabeth Peters (written 1975-2006) - first four are available on kindle as a bundle deal. But the real strength of the series is the narration by Barbara Rosenblat. She's one of those gung ho victorian lady explorers who ends up in egypt, and says what she thinks; "I was feeling perturbed and annoyed. 'I am feeling peturbed and annoyed' I said" and the whole story follows her life for about 30 years.

This next one is Mrs Pollifax series by Dorothy Gilman (written 1966-1990)

"Mrs. Pollifax is an elderly widow who has come to find life dull and is almost ready to end it all out of sheer boredom. Inspired by a newspaper profile of an actress who began her career in later life, she decides to fulfill a childhood ambition and apply for a job as a spy at the CIA."

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Jasper FForde writes funny books for book nerds. The thursday next series is the well known one, but the spin off and slightly less complicated Nursery crime books are the best ones imo. He is a bit of a dick when it comes to starting a series and then abandoning it to start a new one though. The unfortunately titled Shades of grey (published years before the other one) could have been an amazing series but he wrote one and left the ending way open and then that was it.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
You may have to be British to get why stuff like the people's republic of wales is funny.

• Locked thread