Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

imo almost all of Charles Portis' novels are quite funny. he is most well known for True Grit which is not a typical example of his work but it's still better than either movie that's been made of it. But he normally writes about more modern times. My favorite books by him are Dog of the South and Gringos.

another fairly funny novel I read recently was The Case of the General's Thumb by Andrei Kurkov, this is a great little black humor novel about security, paranoia, and politics in post-Soviet Russia and Belarus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

failing forward posted:

David Sedaris' Me Talk Pretty One Day had me laughing so hard I was crying throughout the entire book, but I suppose it's an obvious choice.

It's also not a novel, that's a collection of essays. They are indeed funny though. Except for that weird book of animal stories, Sedaris doesn't really do fiction.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Tiggum posted:

I can't find anything by him in English on Kindle. I don't know if it's not available at all or if I'm just in the wrong country

https://www.amazon.com/Journey-End-Night-Louis-Ferdinand-C%C3%A9line-ebook/dp/B00I5EYC4I/ref=tmm_kin_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=

also, I am currently reading Under the Net by Iris Murdoch, it's one of the funniest books I've read in quite a while. would make for a good Coen brothers style movie. for a debut novel it's extremely good (I've read a couple of her later books which are also very good, but not really funny)

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Tiggum posted:

Don't ereaders enable piracy?

piracy is enabled by the ability to download a pdf onto your computer (and before that, by the ability to photocopy a book).

yes you can then put it on your kindle but its not the kindle that enabled piracy, but ereaders do bring all of the barriers of subrights and licensing into the digital world when you are buying legally.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I believe it.

• Locked thread