Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

nessin posted:

Robert Asprin has written a number of comedy novels. His Phule Company books are some of my favorite to re-read.

I remember reading a couple of these twenty years ago as a junior high kid and really enjoying them- Phule was among my first imternet handles- but I also scarfed down everything Piers Anthony wrote until he had a little op-ed at the end of one of his books about how ephebephilia is good and cool and how kids should read his books in secret if their parents are upset with the themes

That creeped me right tf out and the best thing I can say about Anthony is that at least he's a incompetent creep

Anyway- haven't read Asprin since then, I don't expect HIGH LITERATURE, but is it readable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Oh, I just thought of one, probably my favorite political fiction ever, Al Franken's "Why Not Me?" in which he runs for president in 2000 on a campaign built entirely on "No More ATM Fees", becoming increasingly estranged from reality, and culminating in spending his first hundred days locking himself in the Lincoln bedroom, depressed and inconsolable. The story is told through the framing device of a docent at the Franken Presidential Library, who is a clone of Franken.

The audiobook is read by Al and it's great, like there are more genuine gut laughs in that book than expected, especially if you only know safe, relatively defanged Senator Franken and not the guy who liberally wrote gently caress words and portrayed himself in this book as an increasingly attention-hungry curmudgeon who lays sick burns on Al Gore

Haven't read it in a few years, its amazing how.... less outlandish the concept of an Al Franken presidency is now

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Tiggum posted:

And what if I have no idea who Al Franken is at all? How much do you need to know about American politics of the time to enjoy it?

There are probably layers and extra lols if you know who such as Frank Luntz is but yeah its not essential imo- a lot of the book focuses on his gonzo political campaign with his fictional violent boozehound brother Otto and Dan Haggerty from the TV show Grizzly Adams. Also it was written in 1999, which was a pretty slow news year by today's standards

Its good, I'm hunting down a copy for a re read

• Locked thread