Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Tiggum posted:

I find I have a consistent problem when looking for books to read, specifically funny novels. They're never classified as comedy. Douglas Adams is shelved under sci-fi, Terry Pratchett's under fantasy, and if there is a humour section it's full of memoirs and parodies. So how do you find good, funny stories, other than by stumbling across them unexpectedly or following specific authors?

Yeah, we're all in the same boat here, I think. I generally find new people to read by finding someone I enjoy and then working backwards through their influences (and then back forwards through people that those influences said they enjoyed); Pratchett and Adams lead directly to PG Wodehouse (do not pass Go, do not collect £200); and then through Wodehouse you get to turn-of-the-century stuff like Jerome K Jerome, and Diary of a Nobody; and then back forward via Wodehouse to George Macdonald Fraser.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Tiggum posted:

Wodehouse is really good, I should have included him in my original list. I'll have to try Jerome and Fraser.

If you like Wodehouse you really need to dig into those turn-of-the-century comic writers and humourists; they were their own little cottage industry, being really quite funny for about 30 years until Wodehouse came along and perfected what they were doing while also creating something new and unique, and nobody could match him. Kind of like how there were a load of really good skiffle bands in Liverpool in the late 50s, and then the Beatles happened.

• Locked thread