Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The Widow's Son is hilarious. Extremely. Doubly so if you've read The Third Policeman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Tiggum posted:

There are a lot of books called that. Which one are you referring to?

The one by Robert Anton Wilson. It's book 2 of the Historical Illuminatus series, but can be read on its own because about half the novel consists of footnotes detailing the disputed theories of fictional Irish mystic de Selby.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
In my experience any time someone says "it's like Douglas Adams" it means "it's bad and I have no concept of what made Adams great"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Groke posted:

I can remember when Terry Pratchett was described in words much like those. Didn't take long before that comparison was obsolete.

Haha yeah, I started Pratchett when Mort was release in the US and within a couple years he had already blown Adams away, especially since Mostly Harmless was so completely miserable and bad

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Some of Irvine Welsh's novels throw in a lot of humor with the horror; A Decent Ride is probably the best in that regard. It sheds a lot of the heavy-handed class commentary of the previous Trainspotting books and has the most coherent plot of them. By making Juice Terry the protagonist there are plenty of opportunities for humor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
David Sedaris is very hit or miss for me, but when he hits, it's great.

• Locked thread