Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

2016 was a glorious year that gave us the opportunity to see a true champion of the people, a driver who simply cannot be matched in goodness or coolness. Keke Rosberg.

two cool and good champions just hanging out, probably yesterday

Keke is just so loving cool that I expect most of the offseason discussion to be devoted towards trying to prepare doctoral thesis statements that attempt to quantify his coolness but ultimately fail because it’s just not possible. On the extremely off chance that isn’t the case, here are some topics up for discussion:

2017 Rule changes, just what in the gently caress is going on?
2017 is going to bring wider cars, wider tires and get rid of the stupid token system so we can expect some degree of engine parity, probably more unreliability, and moderately faster cars. What’s up for debate is just how much faster and how much this is going to improve the quality of “the show”. While there are concerns that the aero focus and wider cars could make passing more difficult, a lack of knowledge about the new Pirelli tires could create a 2012 scenario with multiple winners and for the first time in nearly 20 years it will be possible to put too much downforce onto a car.

Will McLaren Honda be a trainwreck or absolutely brilliant?
The first two years of the renewed partnership could best be described as “terrible”. Honda quite simply got it wrong and there are little signs that McLaren’s cars weren’t that great either. The widely accepted view is that now that we are done with the token system Honda will transition to a Mercedes’ style split turbo setup and McLaren will be able to put more downforce onto the car as a result of the extra power. They have been testing 2017 aero concepts in free practice sessions more than any other team by my view, signed Newey’s protégé and they have arguably the best driver on the grid in Fernando Alonso but there is still a huge question mark over where this team is going to be in the pecking order for 2017.

What’s going on in the midfield and can Haas make their difficult second album a success?
2016 saw some great midfield battles with Force India scoring their first 4th in the WCC while Williams fell short and at best have struggled to develop their car from the high point of 2014 but the new rules give them a chance at a fresh start. Haas were the real shockers of the year with Grosjean putting in some jaw dropping results early one before spending the second half of the year consistently battling brake issues. Renault will be looking for significant improvements in their second year, especially with an improved engine, and a good measuring point will be Toro Rosso who will be transitioning back to Renault engines.

If anybody else has some good topics let me know and I’ll add them to the OP. It’s the offseason so talk about whatever the gently caress you think is appropriate, I fully expect me, HGP and Alain Post to derail this talking about old seasons or the merits of Group B versus Group A Rally at some point anyways. The most important part of the offseason to remember is the bacon briefcase. Anything we see or hear about a car or team’s performance is likely conjecture until Q3 of the Australian Grand Prix. Enjoy.

IRC: irc.synirc.net/F1

2016 season | 2015-16 Off-season | 2015 Part 1|2015 Part 2 | 2014-15 Off-season | 2014 season | 2013-14 Off-season | 2013 season | 2012-13 Off season | 2012 season
2011-12 Off-season | 2011 Part 1|2011 Breakaway (stop talking about phones!)|2011 Part 2 | 2010-2011 Off Season | 2010 Part 1|2010 Part 2 | 2009-2010 Off season
2009 News and Views|2009 Part 1|2009 Breakaway Thread|2009 Part 2 | 2008-2009 Off season | 2008 Part 1|2008 Part 2|2008 Part 3 | 2007-2008 Off season
2007 Part 1|2007 Part 2|2007 Part 3 | 2006 Part 1|2006 Part 2|2006 Part 3|2006 Part 4|2006 Part 5 | 2005 Whole Season | 2005 Part WTF | 2004 Whole Season

Tony quidprano fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Nov 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
McLaren are poo poo.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I'm in love with the Keke.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Formula One has been garbage since:

- The British teams turned up
- Wings were introduced
- Drivers weren't dying every second race
- The first turbo era
- The V10/12 era
- The V8 era
- Tilkedomes

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Bold prediction! It will be confirmed there will be at least one less race in 2017

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Alain Post posted:

McLaren are poo poo.

And Ferrari is a garbage fire.

Enjoy your Frog WDC in 2017.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
What country will the German GP be in during 2017? This was a topic of heated discussion on the F1 wikipedia article a year or two ago. One might have laughed at those who, at the time, argued that the German flag should not be shown on the "TBD" placeholder of the German GP whose location had not been decided at the beginning of the season. But in light of the location chosen for the European GP, namely Baku (which was well done), in retrospect it might be premature to assume that the German GP would be in Germany.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

What country will the German GP be in during 2017? This was a topic of heated discussion on the F1 wikipedia article a year or two ago. One might have laughed at those who, at the time, argued that the German flag should not be shown on the "TBD" placeholder of the German GP whose location had not been decided at the beginning of the season. But in light of the location chosen for the European GP, namely Baku (which was well done), in retrospect it might be premature to assume that the German GP would be in Germany.

How about in the former German suburb of France?

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
The only question on my lips is can Baku do it again??

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

There was an absence of castle crashing in Baku last season. I hope that changes.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
There will not be a 2017 season of Formula 1. It passed away at age 66 on November 27, 2016. RIP

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
With Braun Racing so went the soul of formula 1. Please stop beating the lifeless husk.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
I'm interested to see if Bernie will retain his position in F1 next year and whether or not anything comes of the rumours of Ross Brawn taking up some kind of technical role at FOM.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

You Am I posted:

How about in the former German suburb of France?

Or the former German suburb of the Czech Republic?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Roller Coast Guard posted:

Or the former German suburb of the Czech Republic?

Brno is FIA Grade 2, and I doubt they have the facilities or the cash on hand to make Grade 1.

Just hoping that Rosberg takes the 1 plate Like God Intended for next year.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
Is now a good time to start the livery argument?

Personally the Honda earth was a highlight for me. The Marlborough ferraris a second and the black and gold lotus.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

harperdc posted:

Brno is FIA Grade 2, and I doubt they have the facilities or the cash on hand to make Grade 1.

Just hoping that Rosberg takes the 1 plate Like God Intended for next year.

I lost all hope in the concept of a just and loving god the second Rosberg crossed the finish line at Abu Dhabi.

Gmaz
Apr 3, 2011

New DLC for Aoe2 is out: Dynasties of India

thegasman2000 posted:

Personally the Honda earth was a highlight for me. The Marlborough ferraris a second and the black and gold lotus.

Williams Rothmans for me.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

thegasman2000 posted:

White and yellow Renaults are where it's at:

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

thegasman2000 posted:

There was something absolutely perfect about seeing that Earth Dreams Honda bursting into flames.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Roller Coast Guard posted:

White and yellow Renaults are where it's at:

I always loved the Renaults, especially the ones that used the digital clock font for the car numbers.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/38160269

Don't let them take Brazil away from me

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

quote:

The race in Baku in Azerbaijan has been moved back a week to 25 June to avoid a clash with the Le Mans 24 Hours.

Good

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
Any expectations on who will benefit from the extra mechanical grip the most next year?

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Williams?

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

HJB posted:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/38160269

Don't let them take Brazil away from me

Germany was never going to make it two years on the bounce. Even when during the Vettelreich attendance numbers at Hockenheim and the Nurburgring were woefully low compared to the days of Schumi and I doubt Monegasque Rosberg being the champion is going to reverse that. I'd be properly surprised if Brazil gets dropped though, what with Bernie living in Brazil and whatnot.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Mechnical grip? Don't make me laugh. It's all about the loving aero again.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

Riso posted:

Mechnical grip? Don't make me laugh. It's all about the loving aero again.

Mechanical grip is still vital for getting the most out of your car in slow corners and in less than ideal weather.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
Syrian Grand Prix for 2017! Make it happen Bernie, the other circuits are dropping like flies.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

One change I do want is Indy style seven-segment displays on the air intakes showing the position of each car. It's extremely useful all around, and I'm sure some team could figure out some way to cheat with it.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Triple A posted:

Mechanical grip is still vital for getting the most out of your car in slow corners and in less than ideal weather.

Either way Williams is hosed.

In other news the complaining about Lewis tactics gets on my nerves.
It was the last race of the season and Merc already had the WCC sewn up. It's not a big deal.

I hope that won't be the topic for the next few months.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Wait, why is Canada listed as provisional? Is it in danger of not happening?

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

quote:

AUTOSPORT'S 2016 TEAM BOSS'S TOP 10

1 Lewis Hamilton, 234 points (No change)
2 Max Verstappen, 183 (Up two places)
3 Nico Rosberg, 176 (No change)
4 Daniel Ricciardo, 133 (Up five)
5 Sebastian Vettel, 90 (Down three)
6 Fernando Alonso, 67 (No change)
7 Kimi Raikkonen, 61 (Up three)
8 Sergio Perez, 52 (No change)
9 Valtteri Bottas, 26 (Down two)
10 Carlos Sainz Jr, 25 (New entry)

WHO VOTED

Toto Wolff, Mercedes
Christian Horner, Red Bull
Maurizio Arrivabene, Ferrari
Vijay Mallya, Force India
Claire Williams, Williams
Eric Boullier, McLaren
Franz Tost, Toro Rosso
Gunther Steiner, Haas
Fred Vasseur, Renault
Monisha Kaltenborn, Sauber
Dave Ryan, Manor

lmao :)

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Funzo posted:

Wait, why is Canada listed as provisional? Is it in danger of not happening?
Notre Lance will be malheureux

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Is that French for poo poo? because that's what he'll be.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

I agree that driving easily the best car on the grid into second in the championship makes you comfortably the best driver by a long way. I less ironically agree that Hulk should not be in the top ten.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

George Zimmer posted:

Syrian Grand Prix for 2017! Make it happen Bernie, the other circuits are dropping like flies.

Lebanon nearly had a GP in the early 00s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

One other change that really needs to happen: Fire Bernie into the sun.

Though that would be cruel and unusual for the sun.

• Locked thread