Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Rhyno posted:

A drat shame because she is fine as hell.

At least two fellas thought she was too fine to pull out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

angryrobots posted:

Well she's famous and has money so...

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
So my uncle got the cops called on him for leaving his cows outside in the winter.
He's in (rural) MA, which apparently means he has to (wtf), so fitting 24 head of cows in a barn is fun. I'm sure they love it way more than a bit of snow.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I've got my immediate side of the family (2 sisters, 2 nephews, parents, brother in law) in the house this week so of course I got sick.

I think I'm on the mend but this blows.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

nm posted:

So my uncle got the cops called on him for leaving his cows outside in the winter.
He's in (rural) MA, which apparently means he has to (wtf), so fitting 24 head of cows in a barn is fun. I'm sure they love it way more than a bit of snow.

what the gently caress western shithole mass town has a police chief who doesn't understand livestock?

(I'm in central mass if he needs a character witness.)

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

kastein posted:

what the gently caress western shithole mass town has a police chief who doesn't understand livestock?

Seriously....does this chief think that cows are pets?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Darchangel posted:

That's how you pronounce it.
Let's talk about how to pronounce "aluminum". Notice the lack of a second "i" in that word. Fricking limeys, adding syllables where they ain't...
Don't even get me started on "lieutenant". What the gently caress is a "leftenant"? Do you have rightenants, too?
1) You're wrong.
2) Actually, we spell it with the extra "i" too. The specific reason for the difference in whether you use -um or -ium is actually quite interesting, but gently caress you, we're right. :britain:
3) In theory, because the "luf" prononciation of "lieu" may have predated the "lew" version, and as such is still technically correct, with the divergence between the USA and UK being possibly related to either the former not wanting to use the pronunciation of the latter, or the latter not adopting the "modern" French pronunciation. There is a further etymological analysis, though, which is gently caress you, we're right.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Ask these guys.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Motronic posted:

Indeed. Cite the entire loving state of Okahoma for livestock abuse.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I will give some of these a listen, I find etymology to be very interesting, not just as a window into language, but also the mentality/culture surrounding it (look up stuff on "kamikaze" for a good example).

Seminal Flu posted:

Indeed. Cite the entire loving state of Okahoma for livestock abuse.
Oh, they'd love how it worked before we hit on the idea of feeding livestock things like turnips or stored grain through winter. Short version: Slaughter anything that won't fit in your barn and start again in spring

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

angryrobots posted:

Sometimes love has a grip on you...

edit: someone just posted Bob Denver on my Facebook page. WTF does anyone not check their facts?

Goober Peas fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Dec 30, 2016

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Goober Peas posted:

Sometimes love has a grip on you...

edit: someone just posted Bob Denver on my Facebook page. WTF does anyone not check their facts?

What? John Denver died?!?!??!?!?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Seminal Flu posted:

What? John Denver died?!?!??!?!?
My main disappointment was that he wasn't flying a jet.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Motronic posted:

I'm hearing it 3rd hand, but I think the cops would rather deal with making him put cows in a barn than the humane society. They may be correct.
My grandfather (who was a cow scientist from Idaho) is probably rolling over in his grave.

They're outside Gill FWIW.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

InitialDave posted:

I will give some of these a listen, I find etymology to be very interesting, not just as a window into language, but also the mentality/culture surrounding it (look up stuff on "kamikaze" for a good example).

It's a pretty entertaining show for sure - I generally listen to it every weekend. What's kinda funny is a lot of their callers are local to me, despite the show being based in California.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Darchangel posted:

That's how you pronounce it.
Don't even get me started on "lieutenant". What the gently caress is a "leftenant"? Do you have rightenants, too?

Generally your American pronunciations make sense as lots of English ones are stupid and just have to be learnt whereas you seem to do many words the simple straightforward way instead.
The English "lieutenant" is especially stupid as we still say "in lieu" like you would.

"Solder" however - you pronounce in a loving stupid way. It has an 'L' in it. Use it.

I think English weird pronunciation comes from living with towns and villages which have been around for over 1000 years and which all had their own special dialect and pronunciations which had to be learnt as they don't follow any pattern compared to the spelling.

I lived Near a place called "Wybunbury" once. The first time I heard an American try and say it was amazing (it is pronounced as "win-bree" for reasons nobody knows but that have existed since before 1086)

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Since when does P0171 / P0174 mean an air filter? Guy at AutoZone kept trying to sell me one and wouldn't tell me the codes themselves. Had to read them off his screen and leave.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Tomarse posted:

I think English weird pronunciation comes from living with towns and villages which have been around for over 1000 years and which all had their own special dialect and pronunciations which had to be learnt as they don't follow any pattern compared to the spelling.
Why would we listen to you? You int even from round 'ere!

Tomarse posted:

(it is pronounced as "win-bree" for reasons nobody knows but that have existed since before 1086)
Because extra syllables take up valuable time you could be using to gently caress your sister livestock?

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

InitialDave posted:

Why would we listen to you? You int even from round 'ere!

Because extra syllables take up valuable time you could be using to gently caress your sister livestock?

Thay anna gorra clue arfur tow crate duck!

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

QuarkMartial posted:

Since when does P0171 / P0174 mean an air filter? Guy at AutoZone kept trying to sell me one and wouldn't tell me the codes themselves. Had to read them off his screen and leave.

I recently had both of these on my E46 and they mean either air filter, upper & lower intake boots, CCV valve, 6x CCV rail-to-manifold O-rings, all/four different CCV hoses, DISA valve O-ring, oil dipstick tube O-ring, misc. vacuum lines, fuel injector O-rings & baskets, fuel filter, or a combination of the above...

I no longer have codes :cthulhu:

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

At the risk of sounding like a podcast commercial:

I know it's hell of looked down upon among those who can really cook and has the carbon footprint of a rap music video but Blue Apron kicks rear end. The wife and I have been subscribing for about five weeks now and I'd rate it a solid 4/5. A couple of their meals have been disappointing but for the most part they're good and occasionally (like tonight's roasted pork that prompted this post) excellent.

Mostly we wanted to learn how to cook real food and weighed the cost vs. our grocery budget and decided for three meals a week to go for it.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

To be honest, I've been giving serious thought to trying them out. It's gotta be cheaper than fast food, right? And probably a lot healthier.

My kitchen is tiny (it's your typical small 80s apartment kitchen - the apartment itself is huge for a 1 bedroom though) - outside of the space my microwave and toaster take up, I only have one piece of counter space, and my cutting board takes the whole thing up. Add an electric stove almost as old as me that decided to send its one large burner on out one hell of a sendoff in a shower of sparks and flames recently. I like home cooking, but I hate the whole "what the gently caress do I want to eat?" bit, along with the "now I gotta go buy everything to make <x> meal" part.

I'm pretty bad at adulting.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Best bit is when you buy everything, and have a nice stockpile of food... And then the power goes out for 3 days...

Ive currently got 3 freezers and two fridges FULL at my house after the storms this week because my parents lost power wednesday morning at 2am and got it back today on friday at 7pm.

Their chest freezer that we didnt have space for smells like an alligator boat...

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

QuarkMartial posted:

Guy at AutoZone

Answered your own question.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Previa_fun posted:

At the risk of sounding like a podcast commercial:

I know it's hell of looked down upon among those who can really cook and has the carbon footprint of a rap music video but Blue Apron kicks rear end. The wife and I have been subscribing for about five weeks now and I'd rate it a solid 4/5. A couple of their meals have been disappointing but for the most part they're good and occasionally (like tonight's roasted pork that prompted this post) excellent.

Mostly we wanted to learn how to cook real food and weighed the cost vs. our grocery budget and decided for three meals a week to go for it.

It looks good to get people excited about cooking but seems pretty expensive for what you get.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

nm posted:

They're outside Gill FWIW.

Someone actually lives in GIll? I thought it was just a name on Rt 2 to drive by going "Huh, I didn't know MA had a town called Gill"

nm
Jan 28, 2008

beep-beep car is go posted:

Someone actually lives in GIll? I thought it was just a name on Rt 2 to drive by going "Huh, I didn't know MA had a town called Gill"

Apparently a bunch of hippies (including my aunt and uncle).

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

BraveUlysses posted:

It looks good to get people excited about cooking but seems pretty expensive for what you get.

We used to use Blue Apron and now use a different service that does the same thing(marleyspoon), and we really like it. It seemed expensive till we stepped back and looked at our grocery bills. We would go to the store 3+ times a week and drop $100+ on food. Yes, we are bad at meal planning and smart shopping in general, but this sort of service helps. Now we are down to usually 1 trip to the store a week, still spending $100+ dollars, but if we can cut out 2 store trips a week for a ~$65 weekly delivery service it works out for us. Really we just need to get our budget under control in general and cut down on impulse spending, which is out of control.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

InitialDave posted:

1) You're wrong.
2) Actually, we spell it with the extra "i" too. The specific reason for the difference in whether you use -um or -ium is actually quite interesting, but gently caress you, we're right. :britain:
3) In theory, because the "luf" prononciation of "lieu" may have predated the "lew" version, and as such is still technically correct, with the divergence between the USA and UK being possibly related to either the former not wanting to use the pronunciation of the latter, or the latter not adopting the "modern" French pronunciation. There is a further etymological analysis, though, which is gently caress you, we're right.

Tomarse posted:

Generally your American pronunciations make sense as lots of English ones are stupid and just have to be learnt whereas you seem to do many words the simple straightforward way instead.
The English "lieutenant" is especially stupid as we still say "in lieu" like you would.

"Solder" however - you pronounce in a loving stupid way. It has an 'L' in it. Use it.

I lived Near a place called "Wybunbury" once. The first time I heard an American try and say it was amazing (it is pronounced as "win-bree" for reasons nobody knows but that have existed since before 1086)

I know, I'm just giving you guys poo poo. I watch enough British TV that the differences don't bother me, really. Except aluminum. You added the "I" just so you could say it that way, after saying it that way for decades (I think.)
Etymology is indeed interesting. It's fascinating *why* people say something as much as *what* they say.
In that same vein as Wybunbury, isn't Leicester (as in Robert Dudley, Earl of) pronounced "lie-ster"?

I want to say that the "leftenant" thing came from a variation: e.g.: left-in-lieu, choosing the former part rather than the latter.

Solder should be "soul-der", but for many of the same reasons cited above...
You should hear us handle "salmon". According to the dictionary, both "sal-mon" and "sammon" are correct. Not sure why those "L's" keep getting dropped.

Tomarse posted:

Thay anna gorra clue arfur tow crate duck!

Reminds me of the scene in Hot Fuzz where Simon Pegg's character needs an interpreter for the old farmer.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Oh, yeah - bought a small pile of games for the XBone while Microsoft had them on Live Gold sale after Christmas. Because that's what I really needed, is more games that I haven't played, yet own. Grabbed Titanfall 2, Halo 5, Wolfenstein: The New Order ($10!), Arkham Knight, and Contrast. Oh, and the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. bundle and Black Mesa from the Steam sale. Someday, I will play all of these games.

edit: This in addition to Dishonored 2 that my wife bought me for Christmas.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Hell, my missus also bought me Dishonored 2 for christmas. It's pretty good although I am very bad at playing it lol

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

fridge corn posted:

Hell, my missus also bought me Dishonored 2 for christmas. It's pretty good although I am very bad at playing it lol

Its my favorite game of 2016. Doom comes in 2nd.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

slurry_curry posted:

We used to use Blue Apron and now use a different service that does the same thing(marleyspoon), and we really like it. It seemed expensive till we stepped back and looked at our grocery bills. We would go to the store 3+ times a week and drop $100+ on food. Yes, we are bad at meal planning and smart shopping in general, but this sort of service helps. Now we are down to usually 1 trip to the store a week, still spending $100+ dollars, but if we can cut out 2 store trips a week for a ~$65 weekly delivery service it works out for us. Really we just need to get our budget under control in general and cut down on impulse spending, which is out of control.

Oh god. I spend maybe 250-300 a month on groceries, for two people.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Darchangel posted:

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. bundle ... Someday, I will play all of these games.

Oh boy, you're in for a treat or two.

The first game and Call of Pripyat are definitely the highlights. You may want to play them 100% vanilla at first, but for CoP in particular, Atmosfear is one of the best mods I have ever used, for any game.

http://atmosfear.crommcruac.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dL8H5ViKGs

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

fridge corn posted:

CommieGIR posted:

Its my favorite game of 2016. Doom comes in 2nd.

Doom was gangs of fun. I want to finish my second playthrough of Dishonored (1) before I start Dishonored 2 (I got the "middle" ending, because I didn't understand how Chaos affected Emily. I want her to be kind ruler.)

KozmoNaut posted:

Oh boy, you're in for a treat or two.

The first game and Call of Pripyat are definitely the highlights. You may want to play them 100% vanilla at first, but for CoP in particular, Atmosfear is one of the best mods I have ever used, for any game.

http://atmosfear.crommcruac.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dL8H5ViKGs

Oh, man, that looks awesome! Thanks!
I discovered STALKER completely by accident, while researching Pripyat, after going through it in one of the Call Of Duty games. Pripyat triggered my interest in urbEx/abandoned/apocalyptic settings. Then STALKER sounded interesting in and of itself. Been on my list for years...

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Darchangel posted:

Oh, man, that looks awesome! Thanks!
I discovered STALKER completely by accident, while researching Pripyat, after going through it in one of the Call Of Duty games. Pripyat triggered my interest in urbEx/abandoned/apocalyptic settings. Then STALKER sounded interesting in and of itself. Been on my list for years...

They're really great, very atmospheric games. Hard as nails and unforgiving, and with that uniquely Eastern European/former Soviet state kind of feeling to them. And sometimes creepy as gently caress.

They're also infamously buggy :v: So watch out for that, and save often.

If you end up wanting to play more games in the same vein, Metro 2033 and Metro: Last Light were made by a bunch of developers that formerly worked on the STALKER games. Very atmospheric, and absolutely beautiful games if you've got really beefy hardware.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Just save Clear Sky for last. Or just don't play it at all.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

KozmoNaut posted:

They're really great, very atmospheric games. Hard as nails and unforgiving, and with that uniquely Eastern European/former Soviet state kind of feeling to them. And sometimes creepy as gently caress.

They're also infamously buggy :v: So watch out for that, and save often.

If you end up wanting to play more games in the same vein, Metro 2033 and Metro: Last Light were made by a bunch of developers that formerly worked on the STALKER games. Very atmospheric, and absolutely beautiful games if you've got really beefy hardware.

Awesome. I believe I have one or both of those on the Xbox, thanks to Games With Gold.

edit: yep.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

ExplodingSims posted:

Just save Clear Sky for last. Or just don't play it at all.

Sucks, or just not as good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

slurry_curry posted:

I wish it was possible to customize services like this on a per-person basis rather than per-household. My wife's vegetarian and I'm not so we'd either get a lot of meals she couldn't eat or I'd have to add meat to at least a few of the dishes.

• Locked thread