Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Now that we've kind of passed out of the golden age of building/survival games, here is what I'm sad never really came to exist:

Something along the lines of Space Engineers, but with boats. Just like, takes place in a procedural tropical archipelago and you make little towns and boats out of modular parts. It's just chill af hanging out on your increasingly bitchin virtual yacht and looking for sunken treasure with your friends. Build Mother Base if you want. I just want a non-game about being on permanent tropical vacation :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Yeah, that wasn't true at all for me, certainly not by the time I was fighting Ludwig or the Orphan. Of course by then there's some places to farm souls and buy vials in bulk, but it still sucks to do when you have to stop making attempts against a boss to do it.

Well with ludwig you can get 5 free vials on every run, so that's not really a big deal.

Also, those vials also drop for your cooperator, but the cooperator can't kill the skeleton, so be nice and kill it for them after you summon.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Phantasium posted:

You can only share levels locally.

And you can only play certain levels people made from the Wii U version (none of the ones involving costumes).

Only so far as to remove the ability to share levels. That is, the entire point of the game.

God damnit, Nintendo, you could've had something absolutely incredible there. A game where I can make, share, and play Mario levels from anywhere would've been maybe the coolest handheld game ever, but nooooo.

Bloodborne would be perfect if blood vial farming wasn't a thing.

I've read some interesting defenses of the blood vial system:

1. It's intended to encourage you to fight enemies instead of rushing past them. If you fight the enemies on your run back to a boss you'll get some vials, usually. I don't think this really works, though, because it's not really effectively communicated (and you don't get very many vials that way). It's a good idea on its surface, but doesn't quite do what it's intended to. Maybe if enemies were more likely to drop blood vials if you've recently died to a boss, or based on their proximity to a boss door?

2. It lets you refill your healing without respawning enemies. This is something I do like. Enemies dropping blood vials means that using one to heal isn't as weighty of a decision as using an estus flask charge. Dark Souls 3 sort of kept this by having enemies randomly give you back an estus flask charge, but that felt a lot more random and less immediately understandable. That, and this isn't incompatible with just spawning you with 10 blood vials if you die with fewer.

I should note that I never really minded the blood vial system, though, so as a flaw in the game it isn't as big of a deal to me as it is to some people. I have a higher tolerance for farming than a lot of players, I think. Usually, by mid-game, I just head to the Lecture Hall, farm a bunch of souls, and buy hundreds of blood vials so I never have to worry about it for the rest of the playthrough.

glam rock hamhock posted:

Actually I guess Lamp warping is the one thing the game really lacked that I felt.

Lamp-to-lamp warping would've been nice, yeah. This is another thing that didn't bother me as much as it did some other people, though, because it just made the game feel more like Demon's Souls, so I shrugged it off. It also hurt a lot less when they cut down the loading times.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Dec 1, 2016

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

In non-videogame news we have a beer advent calendar and I am happy to finally start opening it.

Also someone in the previous thread suggested I try Dragon View and so far it actually kicks rear end.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Hell yeah.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Phantasium posted:

You can only share levels locally.

And you can only play certain levels people made from the Wii U version (none of the ones involving costumes).

Reviews I've been reading are basically saying to treat it as a collection of Nintendo crafted Super Mario Maker levels (with the quality that implies) with a level maker add on to waste time with.

arstechnica.com posted:

Hey, there’s a hidden game in here!

Despite all the problems with Super Mario Maker's core level-sharing design on 3DS, I'm still rather happy with the game. That's almost entirely because of the 100 premade levels included in the game's "Super Mario Challenge" section. Taken together, these sample levels represent one of the most enjoyable 2D Mario games in years.

The Super Mario Challenge section is presented as a kind of extended, playable lesson in good Mario course design and history, often directly copying some of the most iconic sections from previous Mario games. But it's not the kind of plodding tutorial you might expect from this kind of game (the 3DS game does also come with a separate and extensive set of advanced tutorials, taking you through the basics of good course design). Instead, it's a perfect "learn by example" mix of fun, inventive, and challenging level ideas—a "best of Mario design" compilation crafted by people who obviously know the careful balance of puzzles, enemies, jumping challenges, and overall pacing that make a quality Mario level.

Many of the things you'll see in the Super Mario Challenge would never have been possible in earlier Mario games. Others are just the kind of too-clever puzzles and platforming challenges that Nintendo might have been too timid to put in a mainline Mario game. It's as if Nintendo's own designers were inspired by the creativity and verve shown by the Wii U Mario Maker community to create some of the most inventive "official" levels in a Mario game. While player-created Super Mario Maker levels can often feel gimmicky or single-mindedly focused on intense challenge, these Nintendo-made levels show the care and light design touch common to the best Mario games, full of hidden secrets, surprising nooks and crannies, and grin-inducing visual gags to discover.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Mak0rz posted:

In non-videogame news we have a beer advent calendar and I am happy to finally start opening it.

One of these days I'm going to splurge on a whisky advent calendar like this one: https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/drinks-by-the-dram/the-whisky-advent-calendar/

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

100 nintendo levels are worth more than an infinite amount of portable user levels

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

oddium posted:

100 nintendo levels are worth more than an infinite amount of portable user levels

Eh, arguable. Those levels will be better but the original had a bunch of Nintendo made levels too and while they were good levels, no one ever talks about those because the actual charm of the game was the infinite amount of fun-bad to actually fun user created levels you could have.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
It's not just 100 Nintendo levels, its 100 Nintendo levels with additional challenges.

quote:

Just getting to the end of each level isn't all that hard for a Mario veteran—by the end of the 100-level marathon, I had easily built up my initial set of five lives to the maximum of 100 extra lives. But each level comes with two challenges that represent the true goal for any serious player. Sometimes these are as simple as finishing without getting hit, collecting every coin, or finishing the level in a tight time limit. Others get pretty creative with your tasks: kill only specific enemies; kill no enemies; collect a certain number of 1-ups; deflect all the hammers from the Hammer Bros. with a buzzy beetle helmet, and so on.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

mostly i don't care about not being able to play bad levels on my 3ds when i can play bad levels on my wii u, but more nintendo levels is good

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

what I remember reading was a rumor that theres gonna be a Switch version of Mario Maker and that's why the 3DS version has to be inferior

theres also the possibility that Nintendo is not going to bother with 3DS online servers for too long a time after Switch comes out, so why have them in a final-year game

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Does the Switch have a touch screen? I remember assuming it wouldn't because that wasn't shown during the reveal trailer.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

not only can you touch it, you can do the pinch thing to zoom the map in advance wars switch

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Is it finally a capacitive screen?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Snak posted:

Like, I don't mind spending money on vials every time I go back to base. It just sucks when you hit a wall and run out. Like, I'm a pretty big defender of blood vials mechanically, but running completely out kills momentum and sucks.

dont run out

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
my copy of MYTHOS TALES (a lovecraft-themed game based on sherlock holmes consulting detective) arrived and i've been playing through it. lots of notes:

like shcd, you get a bunch of things with clues and red herrings on them, as well as a paragraph book which serves as interviewing witnesses. its pretty good though it has many typos which... is a problem...

books rule videogames drool

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

corn in the bible posted:

my copy of MYTHOS TALES (a lovecraft-themed game based on sherlock holmes consulting detective) arrived

Crap, i forgot about this. I need to grab it.

I hope more people rush in to make these, they are a really cool thing that mystery video games still have a real hard time handling.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Snooze Cruise posted:

Crap, i forgot about this. I need to grab it.

I hope more people rush in to make these, they are a really cool thing that mystery video games still have a real hard time handling.

there's seven kickstarter boxes (has a hardcover and a SECRET NINTH CASE) left to order https://8thsummit.net/product/agents-of-smersh-games/mythos-tales-kickstarter-hardback-edition-with-9th-case/ but if they're gonna do a reprint maybe that'd be good since it also has some typo issues and stuff which can make solving cases difficult

shcd had a ton of typos too and i dont know why

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

haveblue posted:

Is it finally a capacitive screen?

Thats the rumor.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Played a little of the new hitman, it's really goofy. I was disguised as a mechanic and everyone kept calling me "Mr Mechanic". Big fan.

Schwawa
Jul 28, 2005

Hello chat thread. I bought the Odin Sphere remake in the recent sale and then made the mistake of starting it up the night before going on holidays for a month. Now I'm sitting in LAX and all I can think about is juggling beautifully drawn sprites as a badass crystal-spear-Valkyrie-thing but I can't actually play.

Also I don't remember kicking so much butt in the PS2 original. Did they make it heaps easier? I've been pretty effortlessly S-ranking every stage, although I only got through the battlegrounds and the forest I guess.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah Normal is pretty easy, I think it's easier than the original and the improved controls make it even easier. Turn it up to hard if you want a challenge.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Captain Invictus posted:

I bet if/when you played Stardew Valley you had anxiety on what to spend your time during the day doing.

yo yes hello

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Sharparse posted:

Also I don't remember kicking so much butt in the PS2 original. Did they make it heaps easier? I've been pretty effortlessly S-ranking every stage, although I only got through the battlegrounds and the forest I guess.

It's more that the remake is like, 200% more responsive than the original, so it's a lot easier to be good at it. The original game was also fairly easy but you had to be a lot more deliberate with your attacks and know how to abuse assorted potions and such.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

River City Ransom sure looks nice in previews but the builds I tried play horrible and I'm really worried about the final product.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Hello everyone, what's on PS+ this month?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Lizard Wizard posted:

Hello everyone, what's on PS+ this month?

Invisible inc and a bunch of crap.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

PantsBandit posted:

VVVVVV is good actually

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

PantsBandit posted:

Japanese PS+ gets Atelier Sophie!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Sakurazuka posted:

BB would be perfect if you could choose any weapon you'd previously picked up at the start of a new game.

You know BB has New Game+ right?

All the souls games have boss weapons that don't even drop until the end of the game, so its kinda a necessity.

corn in the bible posted:

my copy of MYTHOS TALES (a lovecraft-themed game based on sherlock holmes consulting detective) arrived and i've been playing through it. lots of notes:

I have this and I love it, although I haven't gotten a group together for it yet. Are you playing solo?

I used to have a CYOA thread but nobody really posted in it :( game-books are really fun.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Dec 1, 2016

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

farming simulator: FOR WOMEN ONLY

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

You know BB has New Game+ right?

All the souls games have boss weapons that don't even drop until the end of the game, so its kinda a necessity.

New Game + starts you off with all your equipment/stats/ect which isn't as fun as a fresh run.

Yes, men hate Life is Strange and women hate Overwatch ...?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Stux posted:

VVVVVV is good actually

Yeah it is but it's also been cheap/free a whole bunch so I don't consider it much of a value.

I'm happy with invisible inc though, been wanting to play it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I don't find NG+ as fun as starting the game from scratch again.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Quest For Glory II posted:

I feel rather guilty that without prompting I can never tell whether this sort of thing is sexist or just stupid (ed: yes, or both, sort of felt that was implied, sorry)

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Dec 1, 2016

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Quest For Glory II posted:

It turns out I was a lady all along! Thanks for the tip, G2A!

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

I feel rather guilty that without prompting I can never tell whether this sort of thing is sexist or just stupid

it can be both

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Ciaphas posted:

I feel rather guilty that without prompting I can never tell whether this sort of thing is sexist or just stupid
its definitely both. stux is right

its not as flagrant as the kind of poo poo direct2drive does tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Ciaphas posted:

There's a pretty big overlap there

• Locked thread