Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!

In Training posted:

They're pretty different so try whichever you want

Do the skills learned in one of them transfer better into the other?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

tap my mountain posted:

My favorite is still the "As a rank 500 straight male..."

https://youtu.be/E83CtWFkQW0

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

tap my mountain posted:

My favorite is still the "As a rank 500 straight male..."

Where and how can I assess my straight male rank? Thanks in advance.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

FirstAidKite posted:

What does SV mean?

Sous vide, French for under vacuum, you get a tub of water to an exact temperature like 131F for medium rare steak, dunk the food in a vacuum bag in it for like an hour, then sear a couple minutes

Kind of idiot proof as far as timing and doneness are concerned, which is why I like it :v:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The Pirate Captain posted:

Probably DSIII to Bloodborne would be easier because Bloodborne's mobility will feel like training weights coming off

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

my dad bought a sous vide for Christmas and explained what it was to every person he could

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

CottonWolf posted:

Where and how can I assess my straight male rank? Thanks in advance.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

StrixNebulosa posted:

Red team represent!

:yeah:

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

In Training posted:

Probably DSIII to Bloodborne would be easier because Bloodborne's mobility will feel like training weights coming off

But it's also a faster game, so it might not help that much?

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

The Pirate Captain posted:

Bloodborne will make you more aggressive

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

Sous vide, French for under vacuum, you get a tub of water to an exact temperature like 131F for medium rare steak, dunk the food in a vacuum bag in it for like an hour, then sear a couple minutes

Kind of idiot proof as far as timing and doneness are concerned, which is why I like it :v:

Ah, thanks!

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

nachos posted:

Bloodborne will make you more aggressive

That sounds like a good thing.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

CottonWolf posted:

But it's also a faster game, so it might not help that much?

Yeah but going Bloodborne to DSIII may just feel limiting in comparison because its a slower game. Maybe

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I didn't love ds3 because i was constantly comparing it to BB's perfection

In Training posted:

Pirates Curse is still my favorite

me too. i think 1/2GH is actually my least favorite. it feels like they didn't think through a lot of the decisions they made.

the biggest issues i have are with the dances. Selecting dances is not very smooth. a single wheel that you pick from would have been much better than waiting through 3 menus. also in RR, shantae's dance animation changes as you cycle through but they only gave her one move in this one and there's lots of little things like that missing here. More than that though things like the bat dance letting you skip nearly every major platforming section no problem (and also the death pits not having skulls that float out of them which was a cool aspect of the series imo), the mouse dance being used for very tedious maze navigation, the fan vote crab dance being superceded by the mermaid dance instead of giving the crab more powers.

maybe i'm just being picky but i can't shake the feeling that the game is a step backward. especially the difficulty. its impossible to die to any of the bosses.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Dark Souls 3 was cool but I forgot all about it thanks to the Nioh alpha that came out like a month later.

Can't loving wait, old samurai poo poo is so rad.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

grieving for Gandalf posted:

my dad bought a sous vide for Christmas and explained what it was to every person he could

i don't understand what he bought because, like, you can sous vide in a loving pot or, indeed, just go to a store and buy lovely pre-cooked food in a bag

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Real hurthling! posted:

I didn't love ds3 because i was constantly comparing it to BB's perfection

me too. i think 1/2GH is actually my least favorite. it feels like they didn't think through a lot of the decisions they made.

the biggest issues i have are with the dances. Selecting dances is not very smooth. a single wheel that you pick from would have been much better than waiting through 3 menus. also in RR, shantae's dance animation changes as you cycle through but they only gave her one move in this one and there's lots of little things like that missing here. More than that though things like the bat dance letting you skip nearly every major platforming section no problem (and also the death pits not having skulls that float out of them which was a cool aspect of the series imo), the mouse dance being used for very tedious maze navigation, the fan vote crab dance being superceded by the mermaid dance instead of giving the crab more powers.

maybe i'm just being picky but i can't shake the feeling that the game is a step backward. especially the difficulty. its impossible to die to any of the bosses.

Well you can do a low% run to make it a lot harder, and I like games that do that. And you can also not use the bat dance etc. Like my 100% run was piss easy but some of the boss patterns would be brutal without the cushion the top tier powers give you

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

In Training posted:

Yeah but going Bloodborne to DSIII may just feel limiting in comparison because its a slower game. Maybe

This makes sense. I'll probably do DS3 first.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

So at the start of the game, you have two story missions and an extra one to go raid some pirate supplies. We went on the pirate mission, and

I reloaded, though, and managed to get everyone out -- except I didn't get any supplies either, which meant it was a waste of a bonus scavenging mission and of an hour of game time. At least that hour passed means Blue Team came back from their excursion and I can get the stuff they found in the tutorial mission.

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Dec 31, 2016

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

corn in the bible posted:

i don't understand what he bought because, like, you can sous vide in a loving pot or, indeed, just go to a store and buy lovely pre-cooked food in a bag

I mean, with a lot of sous vide machines you do use your own pot. What the machine does is precisely control the temperature so you can feel confident walking away and leaving it for long stretches of time

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

probably meant he bought an immersion circulator like an anova to do the temperature control and water circulation

efb, yeah I just put four pounds of boneless beef chuck into a cambro, set it to 133 and i'll sear it tomorrow afternoon

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

StrixNebulosa posted:

Okay, bringing back my two cents: I like to play games for their stories and settings. Dark Souls 1 has a beautifully crafted world with lots of detail-oriented storytelling built into it - chests aren't thrown around willynilly, and you can get a sense of history and place just from poking around Firelink, let alone areas deeper in the game.

I want to experience that - I love reading item descriptions and visiting new places and taking screenshots - but to get that, I'd have to break out a cheat engine and remove an entire element of the game because I'm literally bad at it. (and using a kb+m but that's not the point here)

I don't see what's wrong about wanting to experience a game even if I'm a bad gamer.

I do find it fascinating that I tend to value stories games tell more when they're locked inside of a bad or difficult game - Shin Megami Tensei's stories come to mind, along with their tedious grinding and mazes and old-school design. The difference between SMT and Dark Souls here is that in SMT I could just brute-force the game through grinding and learning the spell system, whereas with Dark Souls I will hit brick walls of difficult and literally be unable to continue without using outside-the-game help like a cheat engine or skilled brother.

Use sorceries.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

StrixNebulosa posted:

Okay, bringing back my two cents: I like to play games for their stories and settings. Dark Souls 1 has a beautifully crafted world with lots of detail-oriented storytelling built into it - chests aren't thrown around willynilly, and you can get a sense of history and place just from poking around Firelink, let alone areas deeper in the game.

I want to experience that - I love reading item descriptions and visiting new places and taking screenshots - but to get that, I'd have to break out a cheat engine and remove an entire element of the game because I'm literally bad at it. (and using a kb+m but that's not the point here)

I don't see what's wrong about wanting to experience a game even if I'm a bad gamer.

I do find it fascinating that I tend to value stories games tell more when they're locked inside of a bad or difficult game - Shin Megami Tensei's stories come to mind, along with their tedious grinding and mazes and old-school design. The difference between SMT and Dark Souls here is that in SMT I could just brute-force the game through grinding and learning the spell system, whereas with Dark Souls I will hit brick walls of difficult and literally be unable to continue without using outside-the-game help like a cheat engine or skilled brother.

it would be super hard to make an easy mode tho and i guess they dont think theyd get enough sales to pay for that added effort. i mean it's a business after all

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I have been thinking about getting into Hearthstone and don't know where to start.

Easily my GOTY

Agreed, The Witness is a masterpiece.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I'm sure this has been brought up, but souls games have a way to make them way easier and it's called summoning people. Most of the game isn't even designed to even deal with this and it makes large parts of it way easier. I mean right there is a way to make the game easier that fits with the world and has always been there. If you don't want to use that, fine, but at this point you're not just whining that a game made to be hard is hard but that the main thing they put in there to help with that doesn't count and they should do something else because you said so.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Hey, once again gently caress the goddamn stupid loving rear end in a top hat sniper boss in Furi.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
I finally got to the last phase again with three lives, lost one to the bullet hell, lost another because she somehow instantly sniped me without a charge up (what the gently caress) and on the third life, made it past the bullet hell with one hit left, hit her, went to close combat and she loving turned invisible, stayed invisible and oneshot me.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
drat how have I never heard of devil daggers before. This game is literally super hexagon and quake mashed together.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

it's a doohickie that attaches to a pot and heats the water to the specific temp

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

In Training posted:

Well you can do a low% run to make it a lot harder, and I like games that do that. And you can also not use the bat dance etc. Like my 100% run was piss easy but some of the boss patterns would be brutal without the cushion the top tier powers give you

yeah true. hopefully risky mode is soon

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

In other news, I just impulse bought all the rest of the HITMAN episodes while the sale is still going.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

In other news, I just impulse bought all the rest of the HITMAN episodes while the sale is still going.

Good impulse. That's a lot of game

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I really should watch that gdc video
https://twitter.com/starpopfever/status/814863751358902273
https://twitter.com/starpopfever/status/814870398030479360

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
i finished doom2016 it was good but short, it was only 8 hours long? weird

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Stux posted:

i finished doom2016 it was good but short, it was only 8 hours long? weird

Any longer would have been overstaying its welcome, I think. Outside of like a short final boss fight against Hayden.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i'm watching it now. the translator is laughing too hard

he tells a sparsely occupied room to "copy god of war, but since it had a big budget, aim for 75% of the quality and volume"

"i'm not trying to discriminate against females or the disabled but..." lol

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Dec 31, 2016

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

How're my nails, Games?

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

Shiny. I did mine alternating red and green for a Christmas Eve party.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

For the first time in my life I feel gay as all hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

Colorful nails are cool

• Locked thread