Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

CJacobs posted:

I also drew this for the early fps games thread a while back at someone's request:

Lol I remember that. Don't forget how the conversation started.

How does Doomguy hold the BFG?

CJacobs posted:

There's probably an official render of him holding it out there somewhere, but in the meantime, I have a couple theories.

We already know Doomguy has the upper body strength of a loving juggernaut, so this layout assumes that the top handle is the trigger to fire it, and the bottom bar-looking-thing is an auxiliary handle for your other hand, like on a minigun. This one is less logical, but more likely than the second option, because this way corresponds with how the sprite doesn't show either of Doomguy's hands.

This one assumes the same of the handle on top, but also assumes that the grooved surface on the bottom is supposed to be a handguard of some kind. This makes slightly more sense logically because the BFG is presumably heavy as poo poo, but if it were held this way you'd probably be able to see Doomguy's arm coming out of the bottom.

Of the three I drew, though, I feel this one makes the most sense.

edit: Some people assume the grey bars are a harness and it goes around your shoulders, but I like my ideas better, particularly the third one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Harrow posted:

Are there any good Christmas-y video games?

A few years ago I had an idea for a game where you play as Krampus and there's this one really nasty kid you have to drag to hell, but it turns out when you get to Santa's Workshop (which had a portal to hell in it, because he got his powers, along with Krampus's cooperation, in a deal with the devil) it's overrun by demons come to collect on Santa's debt, so Krampus and the kid team up to fight the demons. I think I envisioned it as a metroidvania and the final boss was Mephistopheles. The kid rides in a basket on your back and throws coal as your ranged attack, and your main attack is whipping with your long tongue.

This sounds like it would own

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

I don't need to play it to be right about it.

Pages back but I want to frame this post.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Monkey Fracas posted:

symphonoroids

I had these but then got some topical cream for them

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Quest For Glory II posted:

I needed to replace a game in the top 50 2016 indie list (I forgot Monsters & Monocles was an early access game) so I bought Bot Vice tonight and played it and really liked it, i'm ranking it #15

it's balls to the wall Wild Guns style gameplay, and very twitch skill demanding, lots of dodge rolling, using cover sparingly, and using your weapon pickups at just the right time to clear out the board

it's 25 stages and each stage ends with a boss. having beaten it (took just under 2 hours on I'm assuming Normal difficulty?), it unlocks 25 extra levels that remix everything

This sounds extremely my jam! Thank you :)

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Red Bones posted:

I read through an article on the making of the new Tom Clancy game on Polygon and it was pretty depressing! You play as one of those US Special Ops teams that go and kill people in foreign countries without any respect for international law, and it's kinda sad how that is a safe, uncontroversial premise that a big-budget game publisher will happily sign off on. It goes on about how the studio sent their whole art team to Bolivia for three weeks and they've created an amazing recreation of part of the country (eleven ecosystems! the biggest map ever! wow!) when it feels like it's just going to be this distorted facsimile of the country that looks accurate but is just an evil drug lords vs hero US soldiers playground.

I have been reading a lot about the interactions between real world violence and culture and media recently for a course I have been taking, so it's just sorta sad to see a piece of media do things like this because it has a real effect in how people understand the world. We need more peaceful games.

Bolded part tells you everything you need to know about how the story is going to go in the game

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Help Im Alive posted:

I mean it's hard to write good stories when you're dead

*nods sagely*

FirstAidKite posted:

My fiancee and I decided "gently caress it" and now we're making mac & cheese pizza

:911:

:patriot:

FirstAidKite posted:

It's when you bake a pizza with macaroni and cheese on top

jk it's when you tie a noose and hang yourself they're the same fuckin thing!!!!

:eyepop:

Sometimes you just want a pizza with some mac and cheese on top. Is that a crime?!

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

boy are my arms tired posted:

i have four giant holes in my mouth, am chewing on gauze to stop bleeding, and inhaling hydrocodone every couple of hours as needed

but i'm still pwning n00bz in pokemon tournaments

how is your weekend going so far chat thread

That was me a few weeks ago except for the Pokemon part. If it's wisdom teeth, have fun getting food stuck in your gumholes and having to flush them out.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

VideoGames posted:

The steam servers are down for me :( I was planning on playing TF2.

Steam is down for everyone it seems.

https://steamstat.us/

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

CJacobs posted:

The division is on sale for a relatively good price, should I buy it? Is The Division fun now? I heard it's fun now??

It's fun if you like shooting dudes in the face while gaining better gear to shoot tougher dudes in the face. There's a semblance of a story but that's not the main push. Someone described it as an action RPG wrapped in a third person shooter. Completely soloable but you can group up with goons or random's. Also you don't have to worry about min-maxing unless you want to. Come by the thread for better info. I'd link but phone posting right now.

Edit: turns out I CAN link while phone posting.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3795907&pagenumber=76&perpage=40

Instruction Manuel fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Dec 25, 2016

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Ometeotl posted:

Merry Christmas, you chucklefucks.

Merry Christmas ya filthy animals.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

CJacobs posted:

Hmmm, okay. The only thing I really know about the game is that you can get guns that are the same gun you already own except it does more damage for some reason, and I've tolerated that in videogames for decades now so I may as well continue to do so.

Thanks, I'll check it out. The only reason I ask is because I heard there's a survival mode now and it's good, and I have virtually no games I want to buy on this sale so hey I might as well look into stuff I don't know much about.

Oh, Survival is super tense. I'll quote Harkane from the thread after a successful extraction:

Hakarne posted:

Oh my god I just finished the most intense game of survival. I was roaming around the DZ killing named enemies so I could get the Master ranking achievement. On my way out I decide to hit one last LMB boss. I just took out a building with like 4 elites and a named and this one only had 2 elites with a named so I didn't worry much. Big mistake since it was one of those loving spec ops dudes. I kill one of the elites while the fucker starts pushing me back with seeker/turret spam and his buddy starts flanking me. As I'm backing up a patrol of 4 veteran cleaners pops up behind me and starts taking shots. I start running the gently caress out of dodge and get downed after popping a medkit. I hold F and pray while I *barely* rez myself. I start rolling away and am almost immediately downed again. I once again manage to rez myself, and as soon as I get up I pop my shield which saves my loving bacon. I'm on my last sliver of health with my shield up and no medkits with 4 veterans, an elite, and a named firing at me... when 2 red LMB decide they want in as well! Thank loving christ the mask I crafted had the constant regen in last health bar mod or I would've been hosed. I kill one of the red LMBs who was trying to flank me with my pistol and back away from the group that's trying to turbofuck me. Fortunately the named got distracted taking out the veteran cleaners, so I backed away slowly with my shield up then sprinted for a safehouse when I got out of weapon range.

I realized I was probably poo poo out of luck for the master achievement since I was downed, but I decided to push until the last minute to run up my score. I crafted 3 more medkits and went back to finish the named. Fortunately he killed the veterans so it was just him and his elite friend. I pop the elite with my custom m44 and get a few good shots on the named, but he pushes me back into the street again with his turret/seeker spam. I have a really epic running shootout and take the fucker down... then realize I have 6 minutes on the disease timer, 1 medicine left, and I'm at the opposite end of the DZ from where my choice extraction is. I go as far south as I can and realize I either extract in Bryant park or not at all. I say gently caress it, pop my flare and run for elevation. The hunter pops and starts taking potshots at me. I manage to nearly get him down twice but he heals and pushes my poo poo in when I pop up to take a shot. I pop a medkit on my last sliver of health, take a deep breath, and tell myself there's no loving way I'm going to die here after going through all this bullshit. I'm suddenly laser focused - I pop up and nail the son of a bitch right in the head. He drops down and tries to heal in cover, but there's a sliver of his shoulder peeking out from the cover... and I nail it. He's dead.

Problem is, I almost am too. My meds wore off, I have ~1:35 seconds left until I die from infection, and the chopper lands in about 55 seconds. I get flashbacks to a few days ago where I dropped dead in front of the chopper and start panicking. This is going to be drat close. The chopper swoops in and starts setting down. The doors open and I get in with 13 motherfucking seconds left to spare before I drop dead from disease.

...And as soon as I get in, I get the notification for the Master achievement. I squeaked by with a score of 10310 in PVE mode even after getting downed. While that named LMB fucker nearly ruined my run, it's a drat good thing I went back to kill him and his buddy or I wouldn't have made it. Holy gently caress that was amazing, and the most intense moments I think I've ever had in a video game. I almost forgot to take a screenshot before the score screen closed!

Edit: Tips that saved my solo rear end in this run and others.

1) Always have the shield. Always. It is so loving good for retreating or finishing 1-2 problem baddies if poo poo starts going south.
2) Pulse is also drat near a necessity. Some may argue for a heal, but imo it's piddly since you shouldn't be stacking skillpower. Also, if you use pulse you can avoid getting into positions where you need to heal because you know what you're dealing with, which lets you set up your attack properly to avoid getting surprised/flanked.
2) Always craft the extra medkit asap.
3) The custom M44 is your friend. Get good at headshots.
5) The advanced virus filter is your friend. There's a lot of free loot in both the LZ and DZ that people almost never claim because they don't craft the advanced filter. That also lets you go in the subway in the DZ, which also has great loot and easy mobs to kill since they can't flank you.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

chumbler posted:

Playing Ace Attorney 6 in an airport because my flight got canceled and the one I rebooked on is tomorrow morning.

gently caress, my condolences. I've done the "sleep in the airport for the next flight" dance too. At least it was for work and I got paid the whole time but gently caress, I would have rather not done that.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Adam Bowen posted:

Dungeon Hack has never been re-released on GOG or anything apparently. Do any of these millions of modern roguelikes do a good job of being a successor to dungeon hack?

It has been actually! It's in part 3 of the "Forgotten Realms: The Archives"

https://www.gog.com/game/forgotten_realms_the_archives_collection_three

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

i'm buying a lightbulb right now. line is long at the store.

I have to go grocery shopping today. :rip: me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

GUI posted:

The Darkness also came out in 2007 and it was an excellent game made by Starbreeze who also worked on The Chronicles of Riddick game from 2004. It grabbed an atrocious comic book series and turned it into a action/drama hybrid where you play as an angry mob man with demon powers who slaughters other mob men while cool heavy metal music plays during firefights. Amongst the linear missions there was a NY/subway hub world with a great amount of interactivity where you could dial phone numbers, interact with radios, initiate conversations with characters for sidequests or just random chatter, and even turn on televisions to watch full films like To Kill a Mockingbird or whole episodes of Flash Gordon alongside many others. The game oozed atmosphere and the storyline was pretty self-contained too which is a rare thing in this medium, to the point where the average sequel, which was made by another developer, had to handwave away a lot of the first game's conclusion.

A lot of its key developers later on left Starbreeze to found MachineGames which worked on Wolfenstein The Old Blood and The New Order, both which share a lot of tonal and gameplay elements with The Darkness and Chronicles of Riddick.

Darkness was flawed but so good. It's a credit to Starbreeze that they took the knockoff "Spawn"-ness of the source material and made it into something great. Seriously look at this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Darkness_(comics)

The second game was also flawed and generic and definitely closer to the source but I thought it was at least a fun "shoot dudes and rip em in half with hellpowers"-em up. Can't wait to see what Machine Games comes up with next!

• Locked thread