Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Played a little of the new hitman, it's really goofy. I was disguised as a mechanic and everyone kept calling me "Mr Mechanic". Big fan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Lizard Wizard posted:

Hello everyone, what's on PS+ this month?

Invisible inc and a bunch of crap.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Stux posted:

VVVVVV is good actually

Yeah it is but it's also been cheap/free a whole bunch so I don't consider it much of a value.

I'm happy with invisible inc though, been wanting to play it.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Mordja posted:

I have a feeling that Death Stranding's either gonna be a real loving good videogame or a self-absorbed, pretentious wankfest that'll cause a lot of people to sympathize with Konami all of a sudden...

So MGSV then?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Just finished up Sapienza in Hitman. This game is amazing. It's incredible how you can walk in any random direction and the game is so good at giving you options that you almost always feel like you're making forward progress.

I can definitely tell I'm going to want to replay these levels over and over. There are so many paths, so many times I've said "huh, if I had item x I could do something there, better keep that in mind for next time."

Definitely worth checking out.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Wildtortilla posted:

I was psyched to play TF2 since release and I finally got my hands on it on PC. After two hours I'm uninstalling the game. Just doesn't click with me, I think my days of enjoying that kind of chaos are over. Hopped on Overwatch and went on a three game win streak and had much more fun.

Understandable but I would just say that there are a lot of systems at work in TF2 and you are going to die a lot while trying to figure them out compared to something like Overwatch, especially since matchmaking is non-existent. It took me significantly more than two hours to feel like I knew what was going on, probably more like 5-6.

Playing the campaign helps immensely since they introduce things to you slowly, but obviously the trial doesn't have that as an option.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I am so, so excited for Winjammers coming to PS4. I played it at an arcade for the first time a couple weeks ago and fell in love with it. I think it'll lose a little something in translation but that game is actually amazing.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

oddium posted:

i've never played windjammers but it looks like pong

Boiled way down it's basically pong but it doesn't play at all like Pong. You have a dash, several different throw types, special moves, plus the whole package is just very flashy and well presented.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Apparently Dead Rising 4 is garbage. Really wish Capcom would remember how to make good games again.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Help Im Alive posted:

Phoenix Wright/Monster Hunter are still good (and resident evil hopefully)

I'm reaaaaaally skeptical of the new RE. It feels like they're trying hard to cop the Silent Hills hype but I seriously doubt there's anyone at Capcom capable of even approaching PT.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Capcom hates themselves/their fans and go the extra mile to make fans turn against their favorite characters. See: making Frank fat and balding for OTR (didn't work, people still loved him), putting "megaman" into SF x T, and of course:

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

When I was a kid I stole the manual from a Blockbuster copy of Blasto for PS1. I felt a little guilty about it but I probably read that thing 50 times. It was my first real crime.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

But there's so much "hype" expectation for that, and no way for valve to monetize it with crazy microtransactions like TF2, CSGO, DOTA2, etc.

The monetization thing is probably real and a sign of how lovely valve is these days but I think the hype around it is a lame excuse. Hl3 would, at the very least, be a good game. If they made it and it didn't live up to expectations, whatever steam isn't going anywhere. It's just Gabe et al deciding they don't want to sully their reputation. Ironically I think it's much more pathetic to have the first two parts of a trilogy and then go "eh, it'd be too hard to make the third one live up to expectations, I give up."

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

An Ounce of Gold posted:

On the subject of Christmas and games, we usually play a round of Jackbox Party Pack 1&2 on Christmas. I see they have released part 3 on Steam. Has anyone here tried it? I'll probably pick it up. Also, does anything else exist like Jackbox? Having the family over gathered around a digital host with everyone using their own devices beats the old Pictionary on the chalk board days.

Well, at least I don't have to see my dad swirling his hips while trying to draw "Hula-hoop" anymore.

3 is really good. Tee KO is the best idea they've had since Drawful and the other games are quite fun too. Trivia Murder Party puts an interesting spin on a pretty straight-forward concept and is much more accessible to newbies than something like YDKJ. My friends and I also enjoy Fakin' It, but that one is pretty all over the place depending on how well you know the other players.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Maybe I'm just getting old but I feel like a lot of blockbusters these days seem to have a very noticeable formula of giving the audience a scene with a lot of noise and explosions every 20-30 minutes to distract from the fact that there is very little substance to the film. I felt that way about star wars 7, the recent star trek films, the new Harry Potter, etc.

I know those movies have always existed but I feel like it's been worse in recent years. Maybe as a result of the marvel boom.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

haveblue posted:

I liked Doctor Strange for the imagination it managed to shove into the cracks in the formula. The hospital ghost fight was great and the final battle in the street re-assembling itself as time runs backward was unlike anything I can remember seeing. It's not high art but I don't regret those two hours.

There are so drat many MCU movies that some of them are going to be good just through pure luck. Guardians 2 is probably my most anticipated movie of next year.

Yeah I also thought doctor strange was better than the average movie with that formula for the same reasons. It at least got a little creative with it instead of just being "look at these cgi buildings blow up! oooh! BANG CRASH KAPOW!"

Which leads into my other old man complaint: too much goddamn cgi. Cgi looking relatively realistic has led to a glut of over the top destruction. Jurassic park (the original) redefined special effects but it was confined to one trex attacking one group of people. It felt impressive but personal.

Meanwhile fantastic beasts has half of new York get blown to poo poo just because

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Dec 13, 2016

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I have an aversion to the taste of beer that makes it so that I can stomach very few types, and even then I'd prefer to be drinking something else.

I guess not being able to drink with a lot of frequency isn't the worst thing that can happen? And it lets me justify my weed habit more easily. Still, I'm a little jealous of people who like the taste of beer, feels like there's a whole world out there I have no access to.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Hell, same.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

At a certain point, ubisoft decided that "batman combat" just meant a bunch of enemies attack you and when you press a button you dodge their attack and auto-kill them. They completely missed that part of the reason the batman games have great combat is because it encourages you to mix in your gadgets and different techniques to look cool and score well.

Sleepy dogs got the closest in terms of depth and made up the gap by making the combat absolutely brutal.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

The combat in the Batman Arkham games is better than AC, but I wouldn't call it great.

Well I would :) I spent many hours with the nightwing challenge rooms in arkham city. I always wished nightwing had gotten some more love, I thought he had the most fun combat by far.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

lol is that actually in Mass Effect somewhere?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

You know what was awesome? The dude in wind waker who taught you sword fighting. At first he just gives you the basics of how to fight but you go back to him occasionally over the course of the game and every time the battles get more tense and exciting and he starts giving you knight's crests because he respects your warrior spirit and drive. Then you finally beat him for the last time and it feels like your relationship with him is super strong despite him being mostly a training bag.

Zelda is good guys.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I have a doctorate in pwning noobs

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Wolfenstein: TNO had some of the best video game shotguns ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit