Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I beat Mega Man 3!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

glam rock hamhock posted:

Sweet, I recently played through that myself a few weeks ago. Did you use top spin or search snakes on the boss of the game?

Also gently caress the yellow devil

I used Spin on the final boss, and I used Rush Jet on the second phase of Wily which seemed almost too easy.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Bicyclops posted:

Yeah, Rush Jet on Wily 1 is the standard way to cheese the second part of Wily in MM3, after you have shot his robot wiener off.

e: Search snakes on the final boss forever, though

Trying to fight him legit seemed crazy because he has like 0.4 seconds where he is in range of being hit

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I found a glitch in Mega Man 3 where I made Gemini Man despawn and softlock the game, which was exciting.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Bicyclops posted:

that sounds cool and i was unaware of that one.

https://clips.twitch.tv/in_training/BeautifulLobsterWholeWheat

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Its not in the clip but I used Rush Jet to scour every inch of the room to make sure he wasnt just invisible and stuck in the air somewhere but no dice. It just sat like that for a few minutes and I had to roll it back to a save state.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Hasn't Sony's thing been more "making huge promises, releasing average disappointments?" I remember a ton of hypes but none that really lives up to the hype. (lol, the Order.)

It's crazy how excited people are after this conference considering that by 2017 more than half of Sony's first party development will be remakes of PS1/2 series

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Windjammers has been available with online play for 0 dollars for years and no one cared about it

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I played through all of RE4 with the TMP and got flamed heavily when I mentioned that.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Got some rare things on sale strangah

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I finished Mega Man 4 and have to agree with the general sentiment that its cool but a very clear step down from 1/2/3. I like the trend of the final boss in the game being 100% gimmicky and defeated by one weapon.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Now that I'm approaching the end f the NES mega mans I'm torn on how to continue, to split each of the series out and approach them separately (eg # series, X and Zero) or to play all the games in order of release, platform be damned.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I beat 5 in one sitting, I liked it more than 4 and it might be my second favorite behind 3, even though it was pretty easy compared to the others. There were some really inventive levels! I only played 2 levels of 6 so far but it feels like it's gonna be a fairly weak entry already, although things can turn around.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Bicyclops posted:

If they are, they're worth it, they definitely were NOT at release, and both try to sell you on a ton of microtransactions.

They're 0 dollars if you illegally download them :D

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

TheScott2K posted:

Procedurally generated things that aren't poo poo are the exception.

You've got to have SSS tier gameplay if you're going to leave stuff like level design and art direction to chance for me.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Mega Man 6 has a double jump :dogstare:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Edit: :staredog:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

MM6 is kinda way too easy but it's got some cool ideas when you get to the post-robot bosses and they make levels around you have access to the double jump and brick breaker. Probably the most unremarkable of the series so far though.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The oil field level where enemies can create new hazards for you if you don't kill them fast enough was dope though.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Phantasium posted:

I remember the incredibly cringey review title from some magazine being "Crouching X, Hidden Armor"

Lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I just booted up MMX for the first time after marathoning MM4,5 and 6 in one day and oh my god. This game is insane

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

MMX is really genuinely an amazing game.

I tried 4 different stages and couldnt beat any of the bosses making it the hardest mega man since 3.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Also why does this game not have the slide...seems odd to walk that back

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I tried 4 other levels that weren't Penguin because I didn't want to start out with an ice level. And now I'm paying for it.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The Colonel posted:

my controversial mega man take is that zero 3 and 4 are the best mega man games ever made

Honestly from what I know about the Zero series I will probably share this opinion once I get there, since I understand they're more score attack focused and about replaying and perfecting shorter, harder levels.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

CJacobs posted:

I honestly really dislike the Zero games. They could have been fun to play, but the camera is so zoomed in and claustrophobic that it really sucks a lot of the enjoyment out of it for me.

I wouldn't mind a more zoomed in camera from X, it's an action packed game but it feels slower than the NES ones because of Mega Man's size relative to the world around him

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The menu also said there's a dash button but it doesn't do anything. Yet, at least.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It'll have to wait until tomorrow!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Captain Invictus posted:

If you'll allow me, I'd like to gush a bit about someone doing something real great in the games industry right now.

If you've not encountered Danny O'Dwyer before(a lot of folks know him through Giant Bomb where he did a lot of guest appearances), he used to work at Gamespot, and did some really well-done, well-produced short documentaries about games, game development, and such. The sort of thing that was way higher quality and deserved better than, well, Gamespot. He broke off a few months ago, leaving Gamespot and starting up a new thing called NoClip, where he's Patreon-funded and doing advertising-free documentaries about video games. He's already put out one about Rocket League, with well over an hour's worth of content total and lots of stuff talking to the devs themselves. The current one he's working on that is coming out in the next few weeks is about the new DOOM as well as ID Software and the history of the franchise. It's looking to be super good. Him and his buddy are real good at video production.

He's also been doing periodic vlogs about stuff and this one in particular about why he left Gamespot, the state of games journalism, and why he started NoClip is really heartfelt and a fantastic watch. Dude is so incredibly genuine and humble. Also, he's never played Ocarina of Time due to never owning an N64 as a kid, and has been doing a playthrough of it that is amazing because he literally knows nothing about the game somehow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKXCLPLX-XY

O'Carina of Time playlist, only a few episodes out but they're fun so long as you're patient with his lack of knowledge.

his NoClip channel with all the Rocket League videos on it

the DOOM documentary trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7zdNr7AnWI&hd=1

and his Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/dannyodwyer

Curious which ones you think are better than Super Metroid. I'm not saying any are BAD games(in regards to the 2D ones), but Fusion and Zero Mission imo while being perfectly fine and competent and fun, just haven't been as replayable to me as Super. Fusion is too hand-holdy and I am not a fan of Zero Mission's suitless section, plus they both don't have nearly as good atmosphere and music as Super.
oh! oh...you poor thing

Oh I wanted to watch his stuff once he started working, didn't know he had started releasing videos. He's basically the only, uh I guess you'd call it personality or whatever, who I actually really really like. Thanks for the heads up!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I don't understand any criticism that says Last Guardian "feels old". What does that mean

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Yeah it's just I've seen that specific line, that "the controls" feel outdated. Games came out 40 years ago with great controls and games came out two weeks ago with crappy ones, its a completely hollow criticism. I'm not defending Last Guardian one way or another, I haven't played it, it's just language that crops up a lot and means absolutely nothing.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

haveblue posted:

The last 30 seconds of this video is the worst. Like, don't buy this game the worst. It's supposed to be an epic moment of triumph and the game not only completely whiffs it but whiffs it in a manner that probably set him back a good ways (I don't know how checkpoints work in TLG). It makes both the characters and designers look like idiots and it's the sort of bullshit that just isn't tolerated in games any more so it's also a great example of "feeling old". Sure, cutscenes and prescripted sequences suck, but they also have a 100% success rate.

Agro was smart enough to object to being driven towards obstacles, which would conflict with players whose idea of "towards" was more flexible.

Whereas that TLG video is like steering Agro towards one path and he decides to randomly take the other, and the other is straight off a cliff.

The last 30 seconds is him missing a jump

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I started MMX over and beat Penguin Man and its night and loving day with the dash + jump boosting through every level and not giving a crap about enemies. This game is amazing now, why in the world do they hide this ability in one of the stages??

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

haveblue posted:

Also $50 is ridiculous for a remaster of a game that was a minor cult hit at best.

Gotta pay the Duke Tax Baby. Blow it out your rear end!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Box Boy getting a third game and a special edition trilogy with Box Boy amiibo.

Like most third/fourth entries in gaming the title literally equates to something like "Goodbye Box Boy!" for the third outing. So yes, this may indeed be Box Boy's final mission.

Awesome, I loved the first two.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Guy Mann posted:

I have a hard time buying this considering that a chatty Venom Snake goes completely against the story, direction, and tone of MGSV as a whole.

Yeah it always struck me as some real grasping at straws.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I beat Mega Man X and holy gently caress thats one hell of a game. The movement, the weapons, the upgrades, the secrets hidden in the levels, the level design. All of it was pitch perfect, in the future whenever Im able to have my SNES set up again I'm going to get a cart and keep that one forever. Along with Kirby Super Star.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Booting up MM7 immediately after makes me question 7's existence.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Mak0rz posted:

Mega Man 7 is good actually

It's OK but it seems super uninspired. I've only beaten 3 of the first 4 levels (WTF only being able to choose from half...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I think the emulator I'm using is sub-par because the sound in 7 sounds real grody and off tune. Didn't have any issues with X so who knows.

• Locked thread