Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

So which video games have won the very important video game awards tonight?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Shantae being linear instead of metroidvania is actually the first thing I've heard that sounds really exciting about it. I found the Metroidvania aspects of the previous games kinda lacking.

Ghost Recon I think?

I am on the same page and found the new Shantae to be fine and prefer it as a more regular platformer. I didn't go in expecting it to be amazing or life changing, but it executes pretty well on what it intends to do. Only real complaints I'd lodge are the same as for every Shantae game: the actual fighting is pretty lame and there are some kinda useless powers. Also grabbing onto ropes or rings continues to be my bane.

I look forward to how the alternate costumes and characters change things up.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Dec 10, 2016

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

Maker sure you keep at least two saves in FFT and switch between them, seriously this is important.

Yes, this is very very important. I did not know this advice back in the day and that basically stopped my game at a certain point that stopped a lot of people's games.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Thinking some more on Shantae and one of the main issues (among several other minor ones) I have with the series as a whole, and this is a personal thing and not a universal statement on good or bad design, the transformations have never felt incorporated in a way that they feel like an additional power of the character. Instead they come off as more like a dungeon item in the weaker Zelda and Zelda style games. They're a thing you have to solve a specific puzzle and are basically never used outside of that, and having the seam of the dance for the transformation amplifies that. One of the strengths of Pirate's Curse is that it ditched that and actually gave Shantae herself more capabilities (which were for the most part still pretty much only used to solve specific puzzles, but still).

It's the kind of thing that there isn't really an easy fix for so I'm willing to accept it, but it leaves the feeling of always playing half a character.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Our thoughts and prayers go out to the guy at Shadowverse company who made Soul Grinder, fighting hard to save us all from anime.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Nate RFB posted:

The part in Pirate's Curse where you get two perfectly innocent bystanders randomly killed by turning them into stone and then crushed into pieces is super :wtf:

Half Genie Hero has some stuff that is maybe a bit more :wtf:. Also I forget who those were. If they were the Ammo Baron girls, then they got better.

Shantae is a monster who lives in a grim hellscape, really.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

In Training posted:

It's the guy weeping in front of his petrified wife and when you tell him the spell to unpertrify her it turns him to stone and they both explode

Ah I forgot that part. Well, at least they're together now. With each other, I mean. They are obviously not still themselves together.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Dec 11, 2016

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Help Im Alive posted:

here is my take on shantae: her idle animation is very strange

:boom:

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Yeah the creepy poo poo like Dead Island or trying to pretend that's not what they're doing is in my mind the bigger problem. I'll cut some slack if the developers are just honest about it and put in some effort to do it in a less lazy way and, you know, make the game actually good, though that's not to say it's a blank check by any stretch.

Also there is way more kid unfriendly stuff that goes on in Shantae games than the boobs.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Nate RFB posted:

I'd call 1/2 Genie Hero's controls "responsive to almost a fault", it's all very sharp and snappy moving around but I definitely have to be careful to not be too twitchy. I've had a couple of spots of trouble trying to time some very specific jumps because even the slightest bit of movement was causing me to drop when I didn't want to. In general though it feels very good! I do wish Shantae jumped a bit higher, there's been a few sections where I've had to transform into the monkey for literally one random platform and that's kind of a drag for the 1-2 seconds it takes to do the transformation when you're only in that form for the jump alone. In terms of speed it's probably somewhere in the middle between Ori and Shovel Knight, though I'm not sure I'd be able to notice much of a difference.

I've been revisiting levels a lot to see if any new powers are unlocking new sections and surprisingly that has been rather slow going, it seems like I'll take a step forward and two steps back. Like you get the crab transformation to go underwater, but then every underwater section in the first world also requires one or two other upgrades.

This is pretty accurate to my experience with the game. Very snappy is a good way to describe it, and led to my only real complaint with the game control-wise, which was that jumping between moving rings was trickier than it maybe should have been because a slight twitch would mean missing. Until getting basically the space jump I'd often just run around in monkey form for the better jumping, and I think it was slightly faster as well.

The exploration I didn't really have a problem with once I got a better feel for the one or two big maps per world. I think I still couldn't find one of the heart containers at the end, though.

Edit: I still wish Shantae had a Mega Man X dash, but I wish that of literally every platformer.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Dec 11, 2016

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Alright Shantae 1/2 all finished, easy 100% too in less than 6 hours. Definitely the best game in the series IMO. Can't see the achievements yet since the game still isn't technically out, I wonder what else would even be left to do.

So the unlockable mode is Hero mode which is pretty underwhelming, it's much like the 'speedrun' mode of Pirate's Curse, but they only give you a few of your old abilities so you can't actually sequence break a lot of stuff you would think you could, so still backtracking central even if it's slightly reduced. Looking forward to see what they do with the Risky mode anyway, kind of a shame they didn't hit the stretch goal for the other characters.

I think they did hit the goals for the other costumes and characters, in the extended funding period after the kickstarter ended.

I'm hoping the other costumes give her at least one new ability. I've always felt like if she could do one more movement or attack thing or if non-pike ball magic wasn't useless then the games would be way better.

And to be clear, scimitar is completely busted.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Dec 11, 2016

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

It actually seemed a bit less busted than in previous games at least. Not much, but a little less anyway. Still not much reason to use any of the other magics though.

Though in Pirate's Curse it was really the Monster Milk that was super broken more than anything.

Monster milk should have been the default level of damage, honestly.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Guy Mann posted:

Being alive didn't help much either.

Like, apparently some of his books were just straight-up transcriptions of his tabletop wargaming games.

I mean that's not really a bad way to write fun stories.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

That sounds like an endorsement if I've ever heard it. Who doesn't like their pizza greasy?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

Does the rest of the world have Hawaiian pizza (pineapple and cooked ham) or is it just a Canadian thing? That's my suspicion

The rest of the world has garbage, yes.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

CJacobs posted:

If you let people do that, they would do it and then bitch about the game not being worth the time or money.

More likely it would be people whining about how it lets bad players who haven't earned it skip to the end, like the whining about an easier mode for Dark Souls being considered or the invincible mode in Star Fox Zero.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Cavelcade posted:

To be fair to people complaining about an easy mode in Dark Souls that would also undermine the way the story is told in that game, about a world that doesn't give two shits that the player exists and isn't out to kill them, but will happily do so because they're an insignificant speck on the uncaring world. An easy-mode undermines both aspects.

I don't think that's true, depending on implementation. Invincibility obviously wouldn't work, but things like making enemies less aggressive and slowing down their actions would do a lot to make it more accessible without removing that "death is easy and expected" feeling. Likewise just increasing player damage would help.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Ostentatious posted:

tomorrow is my birthday

whats a good birthday game

Parasite Eve 3 :unsmigghh:

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Apparently Vader makes more or less a dad pun in the new Star Wars movie, though I don't know what it is. On the one hand it takes away from him being an ominous and imposing figure, but on the other the thought of him smugly grinning to himself with his half mouth and then being disappointed when nobody acknowledges it is funny to me.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Bicyclops posted:

Pacific Rim is super good even though one of the big scenes is the big robot flying the bad monster into space and pulling out a huge robot sword from nowhere that hadn't been mentioned, and fighting the monster with the sword. It lets the story part of it be about the characters and just enjoys the hell out of its huge CG Monster v. Robot battles. They're stylized and look really pretty, like a sparkly Final Fantasy battle that's had a ton of effort and money put into it.

Pacific Rim fights were also pretty low on visual noise as well, as I recall. A lot of cg fights try to cram in a bunch of motion or other things that can make them hard to follow.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Cherno Alpha shouldn't have chumped out like that, though :colbert:.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I've been doing a bit better about cutting down on my drinking, but I still like the taste enough that I'm thinking about trying some non-alcoholics. Anyone have any recommendations?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Jyrraeth posted:

I'm fond of ginger ale + a couple splashes of bitters

I've never thought of that, but I'll have to try it.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

bloodychill posted:

If you're excited for Kingdom Hearts 3, don't miss Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue Edition!

I am looking forward to Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep 0.2 A Fragmentary Passage.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Quest For Glory II posted:

crosscode put out another update, i cant wait for this game to be finished so i can stop being tempted by all the pre-release content

Yeah I played some of that when I got it a while back but didn't want to get too far in until it's done. It sh ould be really good.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I should really try to finish Ace Attorney 6 before the end of the year, and I want to try Ori as well.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I'd be cool with Pacific Rim 2 being 2 hours of Ron Perlman chewing the scenery.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Harrow posted:

Bloodborne's combat is dangerously close to perfect and everyone who doesn't think so is wrong :colbert:

It's perfect at being Bloodborne combat for sure, and also I am very bad at it. Bayonetta or Dynasty Warriors or similar brawlers are more my speed. I love brawlers that are satisfying to just mash buttons in and take no time to get into some action.

Even the variation within brawlers or stylish action games is really cool. Like Devil May Cry is nearly as different from Bayonetta as it is from Bloodborne. My biggest pet peeve in brawlers is enemies who can block mid combo or just power through without any staggering at all, particularly if they're bosses. It kills the pace and doing slight chips away at them is unsatisfying.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, I mean Sundowner where dodging behind him and smacking his back is way easier and faster than cutting his shields apart. I meant blade mode in general though, yeah.

Sometimes it's cooler to do a thing in the less expedient way.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

That's no place for a horse.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Has anyone tried Giga Wrecker? It looks like it could be neat, but early access.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

There are cute slimes. You ranch them.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

In Training posted:

I found the nadir of mega man levels and its Sigma #2 in Mega Man X2

My sweet summer child, you know nothing of X6. Retain that innocence as long as you can. Keep your fond memories of the best video game ever made, Mega Man X.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Dec 15, 2016

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

X4 is good and better than X3, X5 is... okay, X6 is a fever dream that is worth experiencing, and we don't talk about X7 aside from it having one of the best X soundtracks. X8 is just there.

Command Mission is cool.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Mobas contain too much waiting and boredom, and what I get out of them I could just as well get out of Diablo or a musou game with far less waiting and frustration and microtransactions.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Help Im Alive posted:

The more I hear about d44m the less I want to play it

New Doom is fine, if a bit reliant on monster spawner rooms and having the questionable bits where you are locked in a room to be talked at.

If you want a fun and varied single player campaign with little fat that needs to be trimmed, I heartily recommend Titanfall 2.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Cavelcade posted:

One thing that's definitely true is that loving LoL ad on youtube with the high pitched girl is the most annoying ad I've come across this year making me want to play it even less.I don't even know what points she makes just everything about the ad grates on me because I'm not the target 13 year old girl market or whoever the gently caress that is aimed at.

I don't think the 13 year old girl market is the target op.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

Dynasty Warriors 9 is an open world game that models the entirety of China.

I don't knoq how I feel about open world Dynasty Warriors.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

8-Bit Scholar posted:

loving hell, I'd forgotten how much I loved the narrator in Darkest Dungeon. What an immaculate voice.

Yeah he's real good and perfect for that game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Toukiden is good if you want to hunt monsters without all the fiddly bits of Monster Hunter and with a faster pace. The weapons are pretty varied, and you can have up to 3 other party members.

I didn't have any problems with the port once I figured out there was some specific setting that you need to flip, though unfortunately I can't remember what it was.

God Eater is okay, but is quickly lacking in variety unless you really get into the bullet editing system which is pretty impenetrable.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Dec 19, 2016

• Locked thread