Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Looper
Mar 1, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

Merry Christmas guys! And Happy Hanukkah and all the other holidays I'm surely forgetting.

This month we come together to celebrate games, sales, and that mythical sighting: the Last Guardian is being released. I think? I hope?

Talk about it all here, in the chat thread!

PS What game do you want most for Christmas this year?

I'm not looking forward to any of those games :(

But it's okay because I still have tons of Pokemon to play, and I've been working through late and postgame stuff in Tactics Ogre :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Doom, Elder Scrolls, Fallout, and ah yes, The Evil Within

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

I know that these questions can be answered with "just go with it", but uh - why would you send a special agent into a rescue mission with only a handgun and ten bullets?

And why can't he move when he's shooting? Even Harry Mason from Silent Hill could do that!

e: What the heck, why a typewriter for a save point? :psyduck:

Remember this was the transition from fixed camera pre-rendered background RE to modern TPS RE. The game was designed with your inability to strafe in mind!

the typewriters are a legacy thing

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
I thought Plague Knight was way more fun to play than Shovel Knight :shobon:

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
I tried some Soul Calibur 2 for the first time in a while and the story mode thing is still pretty neat imo

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
get a mouse shaped biscuit and then we'll be in business

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

Mega Man Legends and its sequels have aged terribly.

I'm gonna fight y-

Bicyclops posted:

*pulling on tie* And they weren't that good in the foist place!

I'M GONNA FIGHT YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Also I hope TLOU Part 2 is as much of a ridiculous shift as Jak 2 was

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

corn in the bible posted:

please make an aaa game about penguins

it's not AAA but you should check out Space Station Silicon Valley

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
X6 levels that are okay:
Blizzard Wolfang
Commander Yammark
Rainy Turtloid
Metal Shark Player

Three of the others aren't like, utterly miserable, but Blaze Heatnix's level is one of the worst in any video game, much less Mega Man. Also this kind of assumes none of the Nightmare mechanics are in play, which is the real problem with X6 imo

But realtalk ya boy Dynamo and his music are in X6 which is very good

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Shindragon posted:

Blaze Heatnix is probably the worst WORST level on X6. Like, first off you have to fight at stupid big rear end donut, like what four times? Then to top it off, you have to go through a slooooooow crawl up the platforms and there is the instan-death fire rising from below.

And then fight itself? Spoiler in case Looper wants to do it blind Even better when he's at low health is when he covers half the screen in instan death fire.

Only thing that stage going for it is the theme playing.

I've played X6 enough to actually kind of like it (because I prefer playing as Zero and it feels like levels were designed for him), but I'd rather cheat my way into the fortress levels by beating High Max than deal with that garbage

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

The Colonel posted:

you get the dash in chill penguin's stage. it's one of the weirdest quirks of x's design and the series never does it again

This is the one reason I could never consider X a perfect game. How are you supposed to know that

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
I can't believe they called the third ico trico

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

Isn't that, like, zelda?

Eh, in Zelda getting new items means new abilities and changing how you interact with the environment. In Dark Souls everything is either a weapon or a key (or sometimes both) but your capabilities remain more or less static (depending on how you look at magic)

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

Oh you've never gotten the double jump in Dark Souls?

I can't even single jump!

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Chomp8645 posted:

The most key component of "souls" is that it feels like playing a 90's PC game without the manual.

pouring one out for good game manuals

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

Kojima wrote Venom Snake less chatty because he'd just finished watchind Drive.

That's the way I heard it, at least.

I haven't played MGS5 but for some reason I feel like Snake and the Driver have pretty different personalities

and Snake has a much better fashion sense

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
X6 isn't irredeemable dumpster trash

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

So who's going to be buying Nintendo's next Amiibo, 'Mostly Featureless White Cube'

Box Boy owns

Contrast with most overwatch characters!

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
I don't like their designs, or the art style of the game in general

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Totally unrelated to the current discussion, I just learned about Bonesaw being banned from running at AGDQ/SGDQ next year and man, that kind of sucks. He was super entertaining. He probably shouldn't have encouraged the viewers to spam Air Canada on Twitter, though.

I thought you were talking about the indie game for a second but this is kind of a bummer too

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
You could maybe request a late night block, I think they're less picky then

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
What is wrong with Battleborn? I don't know anything about this apparent debacle

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

TastyLemonDrops posted:

Anyone know of any games that have a base building aspect, but not as the core aspect of the game? It doesn't have to be particularly deep. Could be something like the Suikoden series, or Fallout 4.

Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

This is the whitest thing I've seen in a while, and I looked in the mirror today!

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Golden Goat posted:

Are there any good chrismas-y video game songs?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVr-pyUKld8

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Doom Goon posted:

There's some in Kirby's Epic Yarn. These are a few of my favorites:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3BgwwD68n8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwZrT9IRoi4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3PX53uaYcw

Speaking of Kirby, here's a weird one from Return to Dreamland:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Fe2G84-Y5E

Old OCR mash-up:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKMgleUxD9w

Man, Kirby's Epic Yarn has one of the best soundtracks I've ever heard in a video game

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Bicyclops posted:

Metroid and Castlevania don't even seem that similar to me.

Play a pre-SotN Castlevania game. Play a Metroid game. Now play SotN

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

In Training posted:

Metroid is hyper linear to a fault (without the sequence breaking discovered later) and the difficulty comes from learning patterns and whatnot. Symphony is much more open from the beginning (even moreso with the second castle) and the XP system means it's easy to just math your way past sections later if you find them too tough, and there's a huge weapon variety that changes your playstyle how you want. Metroid has the straight upgrade path which is easiest to design around. It's like minimalism vs maximalism. I love both models but they play very differently.

I don't think two design styles have to be identical for one to have obviously taken cues from another

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

In Training posted:

No of course not, it's not an awful term. It just surprised me when I finally played the symphony style games earlier this year for the first time and they weren't really Metroid games in the style I was expecting. Like Ecclesia was the perfect game in that mold because they managed to combine the cool aspects of Symphony with the harder, stricter design of the classics. Love that game!

Oh, yeah I see what you're saying. Personally I try to think of Metroidvanias as just the Castlevania games post-SotN that incorporated Metroid elements (in contrast to Classicvanias) but I recognize most people use it much more broadly

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

I'm still disappointed with Twilight Princess giving us the Spinner, a tool that by all means should have been cool and fun, and then relegating it entirely to specific wall tracks and keyhole mechanisms. If you try to ride the Spinner anywhere else, you're not getting far.

Also the new Pokemon solved the lovely HM problem by removing HMs entirely.

The funny thing is it didn't remove them at all, it just separated them from your team's move list and made them feel better to use

Like, using a mudsdale to cross rocky terrain is about as contrived as cutting small bushes or climbing special walls when it crops up, but it doesn't matter because you get to ride a mudsdale

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

I've never heard of Shantae before. Googling the name got me a pretty dry Wikipedia page that doesn't say much, but also got me a bunch of images of a cartoon lady doing sexy poses.

They're kinda standard 16 bit platformers. Most have large interconnected maps with dungeons and you unlock new abilities through either transformations or, in the third one, pirate gear. And yeah Wayforward is very upfront about loving the titty

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
They're not like, on the level of Vanillaware (in more ways than one) but you can generally count on Wayforward to have really nice looking games

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

In Training posted:

Isn't a lot of the art direction done by a husband and wife team or am I misremembering? Either way poking into wayforward's history is cool because they're like Pysonix where they just existed for a long time doing ok contract work and spent decades funding their own pet projects on the side until people paid attention and now they're racking in the Kickstarter gold

One of the heads of Wayforward is also a key artist and I think he based Shantae on his wife, which is kind of cute

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

bloodychill posted:

Oh yeah a key belly dancer thing is they never get naked. It's all about sexy dancing. And yeah, Shantae is straight up dressed like a belly dancer.

She straight up is a belly dancer! It's how she transforms

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

I meant to sit down and try Pirate's Curse today but then Path of Exile snuck up on me. Stupid addictive Skinner boxes :arghfist::(

free yourself of the infinite sphere grid

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Guy Mann posted:

The internet's tribalism about junk food like pizza, chili, hotdogs, and beer is by far one of the stupidest things relative to the amount of attention it gets.

what does this even mean

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

glam rock hamhock posted:

I feel the Genesis Aladdin ruined Disney games. Like despite being a Sega fanboy, I had to concede that I thought the Capcom SNES version was more fun but the everyone only really paid attention to the much prettier Genesis one because it was much prettier. after that Disney dumped Capcom and went to Virgin for much less fun games that were often full of utter bullshit but were much smoother animated and eventually just started making games in house

SNES Aladdin is actually a really good platformer, yeah! The Genie level is so good

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Palpek posted:

I remember the carpet-escape part in Aladdin being some Battletoads-level bullshit. The game was rad overall though.

Lion King owned as well. Those were some good tie-in games.

The Can't Wait to be King level was the turbo tunnel of my generation. Escaping the Cave of Wonders was cake in comparison

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

What games do you think are too short?

Metal Gear Rising
Pokemon Snap
Luigi's Mansion
Pikmin 3
the Milky Way Wishes part of Kirby Super Star
Gitaroo Man