Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

It's gonna be weird if/when this game finally comes out. Are they still making it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

What are your 2017 video game hopes, friends? What vague game in a quantum state of cancelled-or-in-development are you hoping will materialise in 2017? I hope I will be able to play the cave person simulation game Before next year.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

When the last of us 2 preview started with those establishing shots of overgrown poo poo I thought for a moment it was that other post-apocalyptic game in development at the moment where you're a biker.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

Food crop cultivation is weird and interesting. A lot of citrus fruits we eat aren't even naturally occurring plants or domesticated variants, they're hybrids: oranges, lemons, limes and grapefruits are all different hybrids of natural species (mandarin, pomelo, papeda and citron). I think a game where you have to pay more attention to farming could be fun in a sim/management sorta way, like a civ/simcity situation where you have to look after a town/region over the course of history and you're domesticating and cultivating food crops that suit your local climate. I find the idea of a player getting really hyped because a new continent has been discovered and the explorers have brought back potatoes and bell peppers really charming.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

Golden Goat posted:

Are there any good chrismas-y video game songs?

Yes.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

Phantasium posted:

Also make sure you save Manhattan from goo monsters in Parasite Eve.

I like it when games/stories are sort of incidentally set during Christmas like PE is, it's a cool way of making whatever out-of-the-ordinary event that kicks off the narrative feel more disruptive.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

precision posted:

It's been so long since I played a Pokemon game seriously, can't Eevee learn Flamethrower and Thunderbolt and Surf?

I just hatched my first one in Sun, I put it down for a while to get back to DK Tropical Freeze (jesus this game is hard) and No Man's Sky (Survival mode is so hard)

There's a really comprehensive wiki with all that information inside.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

Random Hajile posted:

Mark of the Ninja. There are a few ways to trigger a panic, like dropping a corpse to land right in front of an enemy that isn't aware of your presence, but it can cause them to freak the gently caress out and fire wildly in the direction of whatever startled them. Which can be used to cause friendly fire chain reactions.

Mark of the Ninja is a super fun game to play but imo they should have done something different with the artstyle because all of the characters have a really saturday morning kids cartoon vibe to them (I'm pretty sure its because the art director also did the designs for that Star Wars: Clone Wars tv show years and years ago) which doesn't really mesh well with the level of violence in the game. Like you're killing these soldiers and dropping their corpses in front of other soldiers and they all look like they could be Kim Possible's dad, and likewise the guy you're playing is very kinda clean-cut kids show hero for a fella that's killing people and not "defeating" them or sending them to the "dark zone".

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

chumbler posted:

Thinking some more on Shantae and one of the main issues (among several other minor ones) I have with the series as a whole, and this is a personal thing and not a universal statement on good or bad design, the transformations have never felt incorporated in a way that they feel like an additional power of the character. Instead they come off as more like a dungeon item in the weaker Zelda and Zelda style games. They're a thing you have to solve a specific puzzle and are basically never used outside of that, and having the seam of the dance for the transformation amplifies that. One of the strengths of Pirate's Curse is that it ditched that and actually gave Shantae herself more capabilities (which were for the most part still pretty much only used to solve specific puzzles, but still).

It's the kind of thing that there isn't really an easy fix for so I'm willing to accept it, but it leaves the feeling of always playing half a character.

The line between an upgrade feeling like it meaningfully increases your abilities as a player or just removes a very artificial obstacle is a very difficult one imo. There's a video about Nintendo's approach to game design that is sort of applicable here, in that a good player 'verb' is one that a player can solve multiple problems with (ie in Mario, jumping kills enemies, navigates platforms, breaks bricks and lets you stomp on buttons, etc). I think a good upgrade is one that solves multiple problems and is integrated into the regular minute-to-minute gameplay loops. Metroid giving you different beams/missiles that work differently in minute--to-minute gameplay as weapons but also serve to unlock different doors is a bunch better approach than, say, giving samus a fish food gun that is only used to persuade giant space fish blocking corridors to move, and nothing else. You can see this really clearly in pokemon too where there's a lot of HMs that serve to gate the game but within that pool of HMs there's ones you're okay with (fly and surf and maybe rock smash early on because it's a fighting move a lot of pokemon can learn) because they are useful/powerful moves in pokemon's minute-to-minute gameplay and they are keys to really big gates/provide meaningful new skills like "navigate all bodies of water" or "travelling between locations instantly" and then a ton of lovely HMs (dive, cut, defog, strength, etc) that serve to open really obvious gates but are also really useless moves.

Ultimately I think gating by some other method like sticking an NPC in front of a door, or giving players an actual key, or just designing the level a bit differently is better than feeling the need to give a player an ability in every dungeon or whatever and giving them a really artificial gate-unlocking skill as a result of that.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

Looper posted:

The funny thing is it didn't remove them at all, it just separated them from your team's move list and made them feel better to use

Like, using a mudsdale to cross rocky terrain is about as contrived as cutting small bushes or climbing special walls when it crops up, but it doesn't matter because you get to ride a mudsdale

The bit with mudsdale is really silly because you don't even see any rocks until after you're given it on your pager, because the first rocks you find are behind a barricade that is removed by doing a trial. It's a gate behind a gate.

The other ride pokemon are all pretty good imo, but I'm not done with the game yet so maybe you get some worse ones. Tauros and sharpedo both remove arbitrary barriers (rocks) but the charge lets you move faster than riding anything else, so it's a dual purpose thing.

Red Bones fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Dec 10, 2016

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

I read through an article on the making of the new Tom Clancy game on Polygon and it was pretty depressing! You play as one of those US Special Ops teams that go and kill people in foreign countries without any respect for international law, and it's kinda sad how that is a safe, uncontroversial premise that a big-budget game publisher will happily sign off on. It goes on about how the studio sent their whole art team to Bolivia for three weeks and they've created an amazing recreation of part of the country (eleven ecosystems! the biggest map ever! wow!) when it feels like it's just going to be this distorted facsimile of the country that looks accurate but is just an evil drug lords vs hero US soldiers playground.

I have been reading a lot about the interactions between real world violence and culture and media recently for a course I have been taking, so it's just sorta sad to see a piece of media do things like this because it has a real effect in how people understand the world. We need more peaceful games.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

I beat the core game in pokemon moon last night! Now I gotta do the post game legendary hunting and all that. It's a really good game and I hope that there's some kind of continuation of the story at some point, because the cast and the writing are both really charming. I know the ruby and sapphire remakes had story dlc, and black and white just got straight up sequels, so the precedent is there.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

boy are my arms tired posted:

my first star wars was episode 1 and i remember asking my folks if i could go sit in the car and play game boy instead because i was bored af lol

e: i get to play ffxv this weekend, hooray

I was a kid when episode 1 came out and I loved it. All these grown up nerds rag on Jar Jar but I thought the alien making pratfalls and licking things and saying stuff in a weird nasally voice was the height of comedy! You're alright in my book, Jar Jar, even if you are a bit of a racist caricature.

I also remember playing the phantom menace game with my cousin but I can't really remember anything about it, other than at one point you have to fight through the gungan bubble city and we did something wrong and got stuck in a bit of bubble city with no way out and had to restart. There was also the pod racing game that was really great. Do you do pod racing in one of the KotoR games, or am I imagining that?

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

CJacobs posted:

Also who the hell is reading a book and says "this part is boring im gonna skip ahead a few chapters and keep going"

I do it sometimes, moreso with film and TV. Especially if you're just enjoying something because it's got like, good jokes in it or good setpieces or something like that, it's not so bad.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

Illbleed is one of the best surreal video games ever made. It's a real shame what happened to the creator of it.

Late reply to Illbleed but I have only watched the LP of it and that at least was a beautifully surreal experience. Illbleed is a really vivid recreation of what being in a nightmare is like because everything is dumb but very unsettling and has a dream approach to reality where it just arbitrarily changes what is "real" and what is "simulation" in a way that is brilliantly unnerving. When you enter the theme park, each level is a theme park attraction, but as soon as you enter them it's treated as the same level of reality as the actual game... until it isn't, because you find some fake animatronic, and then it'll try to kill you anyway and just throw you off again as to what "real" is. You're constantly trying to make sense of the situation and it constantly moves the bar as to how real the thing you're experiencing is, and it's hilarious and creepy and beautiful. It's a work of art (that is apparently terrible to actually play :shrug:). Shinya Nishigaki was taken too soon.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

The Fate series is weird. Was there ever a sequel? I feel like there is just the visual novel and a prequel (actual) novel and then a billion reintepretations of the cast in different genres of RPG. If it'd been made in the west it'd probably be on Fate 6: the wizard guy from the first game is a 50-something guy with a beard and a surrogate child figure by now. I don't know if that'd be any better, to be honest.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

Palpek posted:

Comically AC: Unity had many different fighting styles put into it depending on what weapon you used with varying ranges, animations etc. but...combat was still just pressing one button. It's sometimes comically weird in Assassin's Creed how they put an enormous amount of work into some system vs how much influence they actually have on the gameplay - see also bomb crafting in Revelations.

This is probably a result of having a game that is made by like twenty different sub-teams across multiple studios.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

Ostentatious posted:

I remember Blizzard dangling this "totally sick" genji skin in front of Overwatch players with the catch that they needed to play Heroes of the Storm to get it.

No one wants to play your bad moba, Blizzard

I read an article about it and how they apparently stripped out a lot of arbitrary parts of Mobas and streamlined the design in some nice ways, which made it sound kind of appealing but at the end of the day I still never want to play a moba.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

I'd be the 'queen of pain' too if I had to jungle the lane with a wedgie like that, haha!

I was sorta looking forward to Night in the Woods but between the time it was announced and its upcoming release my life has descended into the sort of dumb existential anxiety that the game seems to be about, so it's probably a bit too close to home for me to enjoy playing. I'm looking forward to seeing what the Switch release/1st year lineup is gonna be like in 2017 though, and also Before, and if there's some post-release content for Sun&Moon that would be dope.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

Looper posted:

I got my dad to start playing Pokemon Red

He likes it but wishes you could tell which mons are in each area

I dunno when the games started telling you this but it's definitely in the newer ones. I think it might have come in with Ruby and Sapphire?

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

Shindragon posted:

Its why I gave him a pass for KH because of Lulu's design.

KH2 though, ok now he went too far.

KH1 is really good though. Everything past 1 is a hot mess but 1 is good imo.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

If I want to buy Europa Universalis in the Steam Sale what DLC packs should I buy with it? I know some are really pointless wastes of money and some are good.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

I tried to play Civ 6 and it seems to just be more Civ 5 with some of the systems changed around a bit? I'm not sure what I was expecting but it gave me such a big 'you've already played 100 hours of this game' vibe that I couldn't get very into it.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

Speaking of metroids, I wonder what the sales were like for federation force.

I have heard pretty much fuckall about that game since it came out. I barely see it mentioned. It must've been truly forgettable if it didn't even inspire the kind of hatred other m did haha

Like, I know people talked about the game at least a week after release cause people were laughing about the final boss being samus but mind controlled or something and also giant and stuck in morph ball mode so it was like you were playing blast ball for the final boss but then after that, absolutely nothin

What is the average age of a 3DS owner, do you think? Because there's stuff like this where it's like, oh, nobody has talked about Federation Force since it came out, but then the 3DS sales numbers are pretty rosy iirc. Maybe people talked about it a lot in playgrounds and in kindergardens?

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

haveblue posted:

After one game that the hardcore fans all hated, one game that sold so poorly lots of people didn't realize it had ever come out, and Nintendo's current fortunes, Metroid is most likely dead for good :sigh:

Metroid is definitely not dead for good, it's just gonna sit on the shelf until Nintendo has a gaming platform or a gameplay mechanic that they think would mesh well with the Metroid IP. No IP that ever turned a profit is dead for good in this day and age, c'mon.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

Guy Mann posted:

While reading through the Firewatch thread, I have been wondering...has there ever been a period in adventure game history where it was the norm for choices to "matter" in the way that people accuse Telltale games and other current adventure games of not living up to? ie Having the plot branch dramatically and have completely different outcomes?

This has been a criticism I've seen ever since The Walking Dead and I never really understood where it came from since adventure games have never had or promised that degree of interactivity; classic Sierra and LucasArts adventure games were always linear, same with 90s FMV games. The only real exception I can think of is The Last Express which was a hugely expensive oddity that more or less killed Broderbund because that degree of interactivity, even on a set location and timescale, is such a ridiculous undertaking. Visual novels branch but it's usually a bunch of self-contained and unchanging vignettes from a few set points of divergence that you're supposed to go back through one after another to unlock a "true" ending rather than any sort of actual dynamic reaction to player choices. Even something like Alpha Protocol is a mostly unchanging overarching story where your choices just dictate who shows up and how they feel towards you, which is the same thing Telltale games do and are subsequently criticized for.

I think what you also have to remember is that these games are advertised as having choices in them that genuinely matter. All the bioware stuff about choosing your own destiny and determining the fate of the universe, all the telltale stuff where the little 'this person will remember this' thing pops up when you say stuff. I don't think that there's a lot of actual games that have delivered on giving you a narrative where you, the player, have the level of agency a lot of these marketing/advertising lines suggest at, and I think a lot of the kickback against this stuff in games when it falls short isn't necessarily "this wasn't as good as X older game", but "this isn't the level of narrative agency that you implied was in the game".

I really like Kentucky Route Zero (insanely long development times aside) because it's a story game that never really promises that, and it's kind of fun in that sense. The only thing you really have control over as a player is what kind of person your character is, through dialogue choices. It's kinda similar to reading a novel, but instead of seeing a character's actions and interpreting them as driven by X or Y, you get to see a character's actions and decide whether they're driven by X or Y. There's another weird text adventure that does something along similar lines of weird narrative junk called Save the Date (short and free to play!), where you have to keep going on a date with a woman and most of the choices you can choose result in her death. You eventually get to a narrative path where you can explain to her that she's in a text adventure and you, the player, can't seem to prevent her from dying, and then when even that doesn't save her, she eventually tells you to just write an ending to the story where she doesn't die, because that will be as 'real' as any of the endings within the game.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

Curious Expedition is pretty good! It's a colonial era exploration roguelike: you're an explorer competing against five other explorers to become the most famous, by going on expeditions and bringing back cool poo poo. I like that there is a more interesting morality system in place - you don't have to steal from the natives, but doing so makes the game a lot harder and you're competing against other AI explorers who will be stealing with impunity (although stealing does make bad things happen). It's a really nice core game, I think, but it could use a little more content because I did a playthrough and for my six expeditions I got four jungles, a desert (that contained a jungle) and a prehistoric jungle, and they all contained a lot of similar things. I could have gone for some more variety.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

I distinctly remember playing a lego Bionicle computer game years and years ago as a kid and discovering that I needed to wait until I'd hit the apex of my jump before double jumping instead of just tapping it twice from standing, and I think that's a pretty good example of one of the hundreds of little bits of knowledge that go into being "good at games". A lot of games require you to have a level of literacy in abstract game concepts, which I find pretty interesting. Like you can give someone who has never played a game an "easy platforming game" but they still won't be familiar with like, double jumping, or jumping on enemies' heads, or having to move right to advance, or that you should push all the buttons on the controller after you get a powerup to see if it does anything, etc etc. And with that Bionicle game it was that exact thing, where as a kid the tutorial had told me "press X twice to double jump" but I wasn't even aware that timing those actions was something I'd even have to consider.

I think all my l33t gaming experience has transferred to me as an adult is some little bits of vague knowledge from video game narratives or mechanics that used real-world concepts, and making me good at other video games. It's kinda funny just how few transferable skills come out of playing games because you're learning skills that are only applicable to virtual spaces. If I played a lot of baseball as a kid I'd be better at throwing and hitting things with bats, and all the creative play I did as a kid definitely contributed to me being more creative as an adult. But games just give you a rigid, abstract system and ask you to get good at it. I guess maybe playing a lot of games makes it easier to be introduced to like, pieces of computer software and get a handle on how they work? They haven't given me a lot though, honestly.

• Locked thread