Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Harrow posted:

Wait, what the gently caress, Mario Maker is coming out for 3DS? I totally missed that. Is it going to be stripped-down or what? I could see that being a crazy fun handheld game.

You can only share levels locally.

And you can only play certain levels people made from the Wii U version (none of the ones involving costumes).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Hell yeah.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Guy Mann posted:

Time for another Capcom franchise to die because the fans can't handle a sequel being different.

Pourin one out for Breath of Fire.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

As cool as Shovel Knight has been and as great as the support it's gotten, I really hope Yacht Club's next game has nothing to do with it. I feel like they said at one point they didn't want to be known only for Shovel Knight so I hope they get to make whatever they want to next.

Also I guess that one time I loaded up FFXV was the only time I came across any bugs because I made it to the end of Chapter 2 last night and I think this game might be fantastic? idk

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Mordja posted:

I have a feeling that Death Stranding's either gonna be a real loving good videogame or a self-absorbed, pretentious wankfest that'll cause a lot of people to sympathize with Konami all of a sudden...

It's Kojima, it can be both.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

LawfulWaffle posted:

Has anyone seen Hideo Kojima and David Cage in the same room? I'm thinking Death Stranding is going to be Heavy Rain crossed with Silent Hill.

Kojima's games are fun.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I got 27. And then maybe 6 or 7 I recognized but couldn't place.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Boy am I glad Ace Combat went back to Strangereal.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

I came in here to rave about how good the shotgun in Resident Evil 4 is, and instead I found unfair dogpiling going on! <:mad:>

Speaking of unfair dogpiling, I just beat Paper Mario: Color Splash and that game was loving charming from start to finish. It's still going to get people's panties in a twist if they really loved the first two Paper Marios but, well, I didn't so whatever.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

I want to like it but the combat just sounds so dull :sigh: The art and story seem very charming.

The combat's fine, most fights are done in a single round and the challenge is less in trying to tackle any group of enemies, and more into taking them out without wasting your cards (since even from early on you can use more than one per turn) and while simultaneously trying not to give enemies a chance to attack. When given the chance they'll actually do pretty decent damage it's just if you're early on or if you've gotten great at remembering every situational use of your cards you'll coast through a bit of it, but then a lot of later fights were still hectic enough, even with certain thing cards being required for most bosses. I know a lot of people have complained about having to do the thing where you have to paint the cards but you're given enough money to just buy pre-painted cards and with the ability to turn on button controls for the touch screen it takes very little time unless you're overthinking things. I can count on one hand the number of times in the game that I didn't just fully paint the cards I was choosing. I was basically going to ignore the game too based on what I'd heard of the combat but then I watched like the first two videos of TieTuesday's stream of it (the second of which was like 5 god damned hours long) which convinced me to buy it at the next opportunity.

Also the music is fantastic.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Honestly just play as many as you can, outside of the blatant favorites there's a lot of variation on what games people like.

And you should still play the bad ones just to see how bad they are, you know if you're just emulating them anyway.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Shindragon posted:

Jak 2 was literally Jak being more angry and edgier.

Daxter: Jak say something. All these years, you have to say something.

Jak: I'M GONNA KILL BARON PRAXIS :argh:

That's... surprisingly in tune with the TLoU2 trailer, now that you've reminded me of it.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

X1 X2 and X4 are great, X3 is good, X5 is okay, and the rest aren't worth mentioning.

People keep trying to tell me X8 is okay and they're wrong.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

hoo hah hoe!

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Discount Viscount posted:

My favorite thing about X5 is Mega Man can finally duck.

I remember the incredibly cringey review title from some magazine being "Crouching X, Hidden Armor"

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I just found the worst thing.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/482919...f=sr_gallery_45

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Leper Residue posted:

wait what 3 bucks to download a jpeg that is on the site and right there how is this a thing?

More the "this is a poster of a loving funkopop"

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

*gets in car to go get Last Guardian*

*car won't start*

The curse continues for me.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

CJacobs posted:

I'm applying to SGDQ 2017 with my latest Max Payne 3 record video! :)

I'm going to have to remember not to curse too much while recording the commentary for the application because people who have watched my videos/streams know I am an extreme pottymouth lol

Isn't that game just filled with swears and violence anyway?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Worked for Evolve.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

haveblue posted:

Didn't, actually, Evolve is dead in the water now.

:thejoke:

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

If you are playing games for Christmas please don't forget to rescue Santa in Secret of Mana, he shouldn't stay as an ogre for too long because it scares Rudolph.

Also make sure you save Manhattan from goo monsters in Parasite Eve.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Do you still randomly find dinosaurs in Tomb Raider games?

That was the poo poo I liked.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

But the dinosaurs

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I really just need to try to go through Anniversary again.

All the settings in the very first game are fantastic.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I just don't really like third person shooters and the things I liked about the older games had nothing to do with fighting other people.

Finding a statue of Midas' hand and then immediately swan diving into it just to get a gruesome scene of her being transformed into a golden statue, or coming into a coliseum filled with apes and alligators was cool.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

You know what else is really good? Dark Souls games.

Also I found out the Chocobos in FFXV swim.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wF7qbOAdwCk

I don't know why that was so surprising considering other-colored ones in other games could do it but it was still cute when I realized I was going over water.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Can we call games like Metroid Closed World games?

I want to say I like Closed World games.

I'm going to say it regardless.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Bicyclops posted:

I'll have to wait until I get to FFXV to comment on it, although I think the JRPG genre needed something to shake it up.

I am not to the part everybody hates but what I've played of it has showed me a bunch of just really awesome dungeons and bosses and it really feels like an honest to goodness update of golden days Final Fantasy.

I drove around at night one time and got ambushed by an Iron Giant that I ended up killing, but was wondering why the battle theme hadn't stopped and it was because a teeny tiny Tonberry was sneaking up from behind everybody from behind a guard railing. :3:

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Shindragon posted:

I will murder you. No.

Don't remind me of that lame rear end Other M game. :colbert:

(the loving goddamn ship was called the Bottle ship)

Nonsense friend, now you can play the acclaimed Other M on your Wii U, available digitally! (for more than it would cost to get a new copy at retail)

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Harrow posted:

But then you do those three or four fights and that's it and you're left wondering why nothing else in the game even tried to engage with the combat system.

Probably because even in the combat system they have people refused to engage with it and then complained that the battles were bad and took forever.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

That's so (Vulcan) Raven

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Thanks car I didn't want that $900 for the holidays.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I'm fine with Zeltroid. Then Igavania can also join the common parlance.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I was just about to ask you if that was any good, since this popped up on my Steam queue a few weeks ago.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Quest For Glory II posted:

something that's a little disappointing is that Nintendo apparently told Gamepump they weren't allowed to use NES emulation on Steam (which is yet again Nintendo bullying people for no reason and without any legal standing)

A thing that popped up in a GDC talk by the guy working on the Megaman Legacy Collection was that a lot of devs are scared shitless of just releasing games released solely on old Nintendo systems, so much so that the Megaman games on that collection aren't being emulated traditionally, and instead they're compiling a version of the game through the emulator (or something like that) and making a variant that amounts to the same thing just so it's not the case that they're selling emulated NES games. It's weird.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Mak0rz posted:

Yes.

I beat Dragon View btw and Jesus Christ that was the longest, most boring and drawn out ending I have ever seen in a video game holy poo poo.

I guess I should beat games before recommending them, huh.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I got to the linear part of FFXV. lol at you literally being on a train and making stops.

Probably be cooler if the first dungeon after this happens wasn't trash.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

LawfulWaffle posted:

Eh, you've reached part two and will forever long for the good old days, but unlike life you can always return to them no matter how bad things get. Personally I'm very forgiving with the linearity because I can see how it fits with what I see as the grand theme of the game, but it's certainly not what I expected. And Chapter 13 can really go straight in the bin. I recommend not using Umbra unless you absolutely have to until after the credits, but there's no reason not to aside from it distracting you from finishing the game. Mild spoiler for people still passively reading about FFXV: Again, I think it's a bold decision that wasn't executed perfectly but works for me.

I ain't even really mad about the linearity bit, it makes me sad more than anything because there's this giant continent that I know won't be explorable at all.

What I AM mad at is Blind Ignis' slow rear end making me have to walk around this long rear end dungeon only to get to a boss I have to run away from after killing it well enough since it just revives and now not knowing where to go since the quest message just says "kill the boss."

But don't actually tell me the solution I'm sure I just missed something.

precision posted:

It occurred to me last night, with all the statistics about how few people ever finish games they buy and so forth, why hasn't there been a game that tries to embrace this in an organic way?

What I mean is, why not make a game and let the player start at any point in the story? Why should "chapter select" only be unlocked if you beat a game? Why not let players jump around if they want and enjoy the parts they want without being forced to suffer through every ill-conceived concept the game contains? You can do this with books and films, why not games?

I've wanted this ever since I kept a save before leaving the Shinra building in FFVII. That cutscene and following segment was cool.

I also want games to just put the strategy guide in the game but it's kinda obvious why that happened (at least in the past).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The old Mario games do that technically with the warp pipes and warp whistles, now that I think about it.

• Locked thread