Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
To quote the hallowed Vincent Caravella, "there has never been a better time to be playing video games."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Aging Millenial posted:

Yea but I cannot get over the "embarrassment of riches" problem -- so much stuff vying for your attention, so little time...it's easy to become disengaged and just play Overwatch.
I bet if/when you played Stardew Valley you had anxiety on what to spend your time during the day doing.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Stux posted:

they are

Someone post the gif of the full dance

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I had to put my 15-year-old rescue down last october, she had developed dementia and was terrified of her own bed, as well as everything else, because she could no longer recognize anything. My other dog is turning 14 but still acts like a puppy so I hope she still has a few years left. Dogs are wonderful companions and endlessly loving, and you no doubt have years of amazing memories with him.

When it is his time, please make sure to be there for him. To quote a veterinarian, "when you bring your dog in to be put down, please stay with them for it. When people leave, the dog looks around for them."

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

CJacobs posted:

Man, I miss classic Spelunky's graphics. The HD version just looks so... eh.
You are fantastically wrong

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

CJacobs posted:

Let me explain why I feel that way then: The blocky pixelated look of the classic version made the game much, much more clear about where the boundaries of tiles and your character lie. It's hard to know where your hitbox is in Spelunky because your guy isn't one tile tall/wide. This leads to situations where you can get hit (or not get hit) by something that still physically touches you. But that problem is solved in the classic game, because your guy's hitbox is as big as they are.

Additionally, the HD version's graphics have all these extra little gubbins that poke out of the tiles and make it a bit harder to see where their corners are. There have been lots of times I've overstepped the edge of a tile because there was a pebble or something poking out that made it look like it went farther. Also, the extra stuff along the ground (trees in the jungle especially) can hide gold and even enemies from your view, which is very bad given how important it is to be aware of your surroundings.

edit: Also, I just like the pixelated look better than the cartoony look, but that's the subjective part.
I mean as someone who put dozens of hours into it I understood the boundaries of things pretty quickly, because not understanding them meant death. Could be it's due to your prior experience with the original that messed up your interpretation of them in the new one, I never played it so it was probably easier for me to learn it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

In Training posted:

final boss in the game being 100% gimmicky and defeated by one weapon.
the gimmick of the final boss in 6 7 and 8 is to beat the poo poo out of you and you not be able to hit him in return a lot of the time

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Shindragon posted:

gently caress 7 the most. loving hell that was bullshit how they added lasting damage I really hated fighting Wily's final form in that one.

the fire attack was the loving worst worst worsssssst

In Training posted:

Now that I'm approaching the end f the NES mega mans I'm torn on how to continue, to split each of the series out and approach them separately (eg # series, X and Zero) or to play all the games in order of release, platform be damned.
Play up to MM7, then switch to the X games, then play through to X5(it's fine, it's not the best but it's fine), then switch to the Megaman Zero games, then the Battle Network games, then idk Legends???

Megaman Zero is extremely hard compared to any other megaman games so be prepared for that. It gets really, really bullshit at times. I beat 1 and 2 and the bomb factory in 1 is probably my most hated level in any megaman game(not including X6 or beyond which is a travesty of a game entirely)

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Megaman x4 is excellent, and x5 is okay too.

Megaman zero is an incredibly good platformer but the difficulty is particularly high for a megaman game.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
MM9 is Instant Death Spikes And Pits: The Game

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Wildtortilla posted:

Mega Man 9 is the best MM.

It gave us this mix: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cA06uWV_-c

you fucker I was literally coming here to post that

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Zero is a blast to play as, you're nuts. And the anime cutscenes are so-bad-it's-good quality.

Though the Sigma vs Zero flashback fight was genuinely alright.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Phantasium posted:

hoo hah hoe!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
If you'll allow me, I'd like to gush a bit about someone doing something real great in the games industry right now.

If you've not encountered Danny O'Dwyer before(a lot of folks know him through Giant Bomb where he did a lot of guest appearances), he used to work at Gamespot, and did some really well-done, well-produced short documentaries about games, game development, and such. The sort of thing that was way higher quality and deserved better than, well, Gamespot. He broke off a few months ago, leaving Gamespot and starting up a new thing called NoClip, where he's Patreon-funded and doing advertising-free documentaries about video games. He's already put out one about Rocket League, with well over an hour's worth of content total and lots of stuff talking to the devs themselves. The current one he's working on that is coming out in the next few weeks is about the new DOOM as well as ID Software and the history of the franchise. It's looking to be super good. Him and his buddy are real good at video production.

He's also been doing periodic vlogs about stuff and this one in particular about why he left Gamespot, the state of games journalism, and why he started NoClip is really heartfelt and a fantastic watch. Dude is so incredibly genuine and humble. Also, he's never played Ocarina of Time due to never owning an N64 as a kid, and has been doing a playthrough of it that is amazing because he literally knows nothing about the game somehow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKXCLPLX-XY

O'Carina of Time playlist, only a few episodes out but they're fun so long as you're patient with his lack of knowledge.

his NoClip channel with all the Rocket League videos on it

the DOOM documentary trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7zdNr7AnWI&hd=1

and his Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/dannyodwyer

oddium posted:

crazy that super metroid and link to the past are perfect games when they aren't even the best games in their series. nintendo, does it again
Curious which ones you think are better than Super Metroid. I'm not saying any are BAD games(in regards to the 2D ones), but Fusion and Zero Mission imo while being perfectly fine and competent and fun, just haven't been as replayable to me as Super. Fusion is too hand-holdy and I am not a fan of Zero Mission's suitless section, plus they both don't have nearly as good atmosphere and music as Super.

quote:

:peanut::shopkeeper::horse:a zelda list:horse::shopkeeper::peanut:

majora's mask
link's awakening/wind waker (tie)
twilight princess
the rest

oh. i feel it. i feel the metroid !!

fusion
zero mission/metroid 2 remake (tie)

the rest
oh! oh...you poor thing

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
this might be my favorite Danny moment, during one of the Giant Bomb Extra Life charity marathons

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYwS0NbMUpM&hd=1

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Harrow posted:

Doing pretty good on that Patreon (depending on how many people are involved). I really enjoyed Danny O'Dwyer's stuff over at GameSpot but I didn't see that he'd set up something new after he left and clearly it is going well. But now I get to watch more Danny O'Dwyer videos, so, cool.

When I say "depending on how many people are involved" I'm thinking of Easy Allies, which is pulling down $38k/month in Patreon money but there are so many people doing it that it can't really be anyone's full-time job except I think maybe Brandon Jones.

I believe there's two or three people total with danny. And you have to keep in mind the patreon cut, as well as that a good chunk of that goes towards travel and lodging expenses since he does a lot of traveling to do these things.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Jim Sterling's got a video on the last guardian, he likes a lot about it, but hates some stuff too. That said, his thing on "you can throw the food barrel at trico and sometimes he'll catch it in his mouth and eat it like that and it's really awesome, and other times he'll just sit there and let it hit him in his stupid gormless face" if anything sells me on it even more because that is totally something dogs do. Sometimes they'll have a preternatural ability to snatch something out of midair, and other times they'll just sit there and watch it hit them square in the forehead

Most of the stuff in the footage he posted looks fantastic, too, if I ever got a PS4 I'd probably buy TLG for an atmospheric piece. It looks wonderful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZh_51AdYBo&hd=1

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

In Training posted:

I started MMX over and beat Penguin Man and its night and loving day with the dash + jump boosting through every level and not giving a crap about enemies. This game is amazing now, why in the world do they hide this ability in one of the stages??
I want to say mmx was a near console release game? So they hadn't really figured things out yet in regards to the new mechanics. 2 on and he has dash boots by default, and the boot upgrades let you double air dash and such.

That said, the game is still completable without the dash boots, there is a password that starts you off with chill penguin beaten and no boots, which are normally impossible to get past without taking.

Mmx is also supremely satisfying to beat doing buster only or lemons only runs.
Hi I'm randy pitchford, watch me run my formerly successful company into a cliff face like a rocket-powered car.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Randy pitchford is a terrifyingly bad businessperson.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The only way to beat world of Warcraft is not to play

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Bob and George is totally inoffensive.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
An old internet friend of mine did a subcomic on bob and george that he hand-drew most of the sprites for it himself. It was nearly 15 years ago, but I remember it being pretty decent, and I can't remember the guy's name but he had a ferret for an avatar. Don't remember what it was called, but it told a story following the games in order. I remember it being way better than anything else on that site.

BnG got me doing a bunch of sprite stuff and comics, and I started out making frankensteins and then started making scratch sprites pixel-by-pixel, the last one I did was a few of Sora from Kingdom Hearts about 12 years ago. Sprites are real hard to do good! The comics seem to have disappeared at some point during multiple PC transitions.

It's not very good and I probably could've gotten better but instead focused on other things. Some folks I knew went on to become professional sprite artists who made games though.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The doom comic shows how to hold the bfg I think you will find.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

grieving for Gandalf posted:

yo if you still talk to disgruntledferret tell him I thought his webcomic was good

That was his name! I haven't even visited bng in a decade, let alone talked to anyone from there. Except people who went from bng to become goons.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RylQGkoZpSE

I guess the run got too rowdy. I think it was at like 2 AM. He and the couch kept making jokes about actors after being told not to, a couple times during the run he muttered swears. It was a fun run, and the audience messing with him by clapping was great. The stuff I quoted above was a pastebin he linked on his Twitter (because it was too long). Oh, he also told people to tweet at Air Canada, probably without realizing just how many people watching were stupid enough to spam them.

e: Actually it was at 11PM.

lol are you loving kidding me, that jak and daxter run is one of the best agdq runs of all time and they banned him from running for that? Christ uyama, the gently caress is wrong with you. Slap him on the wrist and tell him not to tell people to tweet at x, and be done with it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Then whoever is running the show is a fun-hating shitlord

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I forget if this was posted in this thread, but much-anticipated game by the Skullgirls devs, Indivisible, is getting 3 minutes worth of animated cutscenes/intro done by Studio Trigger. They're the animation studio who did Kill la Kill, Little Witch Academia, a bunch of various shorts and such, and is made up of mostly animators from Gainax who did stuff like Gurren Lagann and FLCL. Yoh Yoshinari, one of the best animators in the industry(and noted Westaboo) is heading the project for the Indivisible animations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZH9gEU8Do8Q&hd=1

You can still back Indivisible if you'd like(links in the video description), as they're still working towards stretch goals such as full voice acting and stuff. There's a fully playable alpha demo to test it out, too.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Guy Mann posted:

I used to think that live speedrunning was way better than tool-assisted because of the crazy amount of skill it took, but but now that speedrunners are all trying to put themselves in the spotlight and become personalities and entertainers I love TAS way more because a clever and concise video showing something crazy and explaining how they did it is so much better than hours of a bunch of dudes on a couch trying to make jokes.

On the other hand, team poor life choices are infinitely more entertaining than you will ever be.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Early on, my raid leader identified people by what they were wearing. The easiest way to gently caress with him was to have half the raid bring their Furbolg Rods along and transform into identical low-poly furbolgs

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

haveblue posted:

No Man's Sky

You fucker I was gonna say that!

In Training posted:

Mega Man 8 is a really bizarre game. I kinda dig it but they broke a very basic design principle and made each boss stage 2 stages which is kinda hosed up and ruins the whole flow of Mega Man. Usually you want to reach a boss, try the weapons you have and if there's no weakness, give it an honest shot and then if it's too overwhelming just jump to a different level. You can't do that in 8 because there's a halfway point save that gets made, so if you leave you lose progress that you don't have to. So it always forces you to stick with the stage you chose which is antithetical to the spirit of Mega Man. Absolutely gorgeous sprites, although the art direction seems to have been somebody standing over a computer yelling MORE! COPY PASTE ALL THOSE SUCKERS!!

Have you enjoyed jumping and sliding yet

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Earthbound fuckin owns

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

VideoGames posted:

I really like peppers.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Nor is she a frog.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

oddium posted:

spend christmas with chie

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Grapplejack posted:

Now that I'm older I realize the true best waifu is Yukiko.

I see you've gone senile in your old age.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

precision posted:

serious post someone find me a place to buy this

i want dat lego eevee :3:

Good night and good luck, do a trip report

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32766...form=y#autostay

Funny thing about it too:

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I was googling this out of curiosity and found a Lego Ideas submission which is almost exactly the same but with a few slight differences in the Pokemon figures, the plants in the pots outside the door, etc etc. I wonder which one came first and which one is ripping off the other one.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

In Training posted:

It's an autoscroller that moves so fast you can't react to obstacles quick enough to deal with them so they left in audio cues that just say "jump" and "slide" instead of reworking the idea

I am surprised you didn't react to harshly to the wily castle version of that, that's one of the most common complaints about the game

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

oh you haven't actually gone through the wily stages yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcinzmfZeCc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
DOOM documentary trailer, looks like it'll be a big ol' three-parter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkH78CGsjhc&hd=1

• Locked thread