Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Sakurazuka posted:

Shantae and TLG are the only games I'm interested in this month, which is good both because of Christmas expense and 20 games I want coming out in early 2017.
Again, where are people getting a December release date for Shantae? Unless it's in that Early Access update that came out yesterday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I just realized that despite, at the outset, of fully intending to get a PS4 before any of the other systems there is a real chance I will have both a Wii U and and a Switch before I have a PS4. There are enough PS4 games that yeah I'm all but guaranteed to get one eventually but a combination of backlogs, expected price drops (gonna get a PS4 Slim for sure), and Mario Maker has continuously put off the purchase.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Funnily enough Bloodborne has never been on the shortlist, though I do expect to give it a go eventually since if I'm going to play any Souls-like game at this point it's probably going to be that.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'm fairly certain I've played varying amounts of RE1-3 but RE4 was the only one I've been able to finish. Even that took until the Wii version for me to get beyond the initial village.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Looper posted:

I thought Plague Knight was way more fun to play than Shovel Knight :shobon:
Yeah I had way more fun with Plague Knight by the end. It takes a bit of experimentation to figure out what bomb loadouts work the best for you in certain situations, mostly. I want to say the one power that makes it so that you float down slowly was a bit of a game changer too.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Oh yeah it's definitely worth mentioning as well that the Plague Knight campaign story is surprisingly adorable.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
MM9 is great, I think I'd only pick 2 & 3 as be being better at least among the classic-numbered MMs. It has one of the most fun weapon loadouts in the franchise.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The X series is so weird because the first game is so great, maybe even the best MM game ever created, but virtually every sequel it got was worse and in some cases WAY worse than just everything else in the franchise.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Looper posted:

This is the one reason I could never consider X a perfect game. How are you supposed to know that
Have Nintendo Power, duh.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I feel that top to bottom my favorite Zelda is actually Link's Awakening. It has square-for-square the best overworld IMO to explore with the most personality, the dungeons are well designed, the items are all very neat, and it definitely features one of the stronger plots in the series. The only reason I would probably say Link to the Past is the better game is that the the constant messages you get from bumping into rocks and such are super annoying and in general I just wish it could have dedicated buttons for grab/dash like LttP. Not much you can do about that with the number of buttons on a Game Boy, though.

I found Twilight Princess thoroughly mediocre when I played it in 2006 but I do have the HD remake and have been meaning to give it another shot at some point.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I love Danny O'Dwyer and NoClip, but MAN is he bad at Ocarina of Time. Hoo Boy. But bad in a mostly charming way. Even he got caught by that loving "Would you like me to repeat that?" owl.

E: I probably wouldn't pick it over Super Metroid in the end, but AM2R was great enough that I considered it at least.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Dec 5, 2016

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

In Training posted:

I don't understand any criticism that says Last Guardian "feels old". What does that mean
Nothing to do with TLG directly, but I'm playing the first Ratchet & Clank PS3 game (Tools of Destruction?) since that's supposedly one of the best ones and I can't help but feel that so many things about its mechanics, gimmicks/hooks, and gameplay decisions feel like a game that came out close to 10 years ago. There definitely is IMO a certain style to gamemaking from that era that is presumably present in TLG in some form that people are seemingly picking up playing it.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I finished Dishonored 1, that was a really solid game. I kind of expected that it would just be like a FPS with some stealth sections and instead got something that feels exceptionally like a modern take on the Deus Ex/Thief games of the late 90s and early 2000s. That said I don't think I'm going to bother with the DLC, at least not yet. I'm not really invested in the story enough to know about Daud's deal and gameplay-wise I think I've gotten all I really need out of the main campaign.

Now to put Shantae through its paces :toot:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
They're all really solid but Pirate's Curse is probably my favorite, though what little I've played (first 2 worlds) of 1/2 Genie Hero has been great. I really wish Risky's Revenge was a complete game because what's there is fine, it just feels so insubstantial and incomplete because IIRC it was meant to be the first entry in an episodic series.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The part in Pirate's Curse where you get two perfectly innocent bystanders randomly killed by turning them into stone and then crushed into pieces is super :wtf:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Macaluso posted:

How does the platforming feel in the new Shantae? I don't mean level design wise, just like the general feel of her controls and her jumping and attacking and stuff. I made a post earlier about how much I love Ori's platforming in that way and wanted to know how Shantae is? Well and also I guess also how the level design is. I'm not expecting Tropical Freeze levels here but still. Wayforward's remake of Ducktales was really really good

edit: I think what I liked about Ori so much was that it felt fast. I love Shovel Knight to death but I will admit it feels a little slow, Ducktales too. Where does Shantae fall in that
I'd call 1/2 Genie Hero's controls "responsive to almost a fault", it's all very sharp and snappy moving around but I definitely have to be careful to not be too twitchy. I've had a couple of spots of trouble trying to time some very specific jumps because even the slightest bit of movement was causing me to drop when I didn't want to. In general though it feels very good! I do wish Shantae jumped a bit higher, there's been a few sections where I've had to transform into the monkey for literally one random platform and that's kind of a drag for the 1-2 seconds it takes to do the transformation when you're only in that form for the jump alone. In terms of speed it's probably somewhere in the middle between Ori and Shovel Knight, though I'm not sure I'd be able to notice much of a difference.

I've been revisiting levels a lot to see if any new powers are unlocking new sections and surprisingly that has been rather slow going, it seems like I'll take a step forward and two steps back. Like you get the crab transformation to go underwater, but then every underwater section in the first world also requires one or two other upgrades.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

CJacobs posted:

The new Ratchet and Clank game was so disappointing and it's almost exclusively the movie's fault :smith:
I played Tools of Destruction for the first time a few weeks ago, finding it just kind of OK. Definitely felt like the type of game I would have been all over when it first came out but in 2016 is just kind of a drag. That said I was toying with the idea of trying out the PS4 remake at some point, so I'd be curious as to know what's wrong with it as well.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Zaggitz posted:

Tools of Destruction is the worst non-spinoff one. The good ones are going commando, up your arsenal and crack in time(all of which are available on ps3 pretty cheap)
I'd be curious to know what's "right" about those and what was wrong with ToD. Do they have better checkpoints at least? It was nearly rage inducing how often you'd have to repeat huge stretches because ToD loved placing you really far back when you died.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'm playing Dead Space 1 for the first time and here are my thoughts so far:

-The Plasma Cutter or whatever it's called (the default gun) seems to be by far the best thing to use. I've tried some of the other weapons and it's the only one that can seemingly kill anything, including bosses.
-However I'm finding that I burn through the ammo super quickly. Like I just finished the boss at the end of Chapter 6 and went from around ~120 bullets to less than 20. I have the Force Gun to use for a while but again, it feels like it kind of sucks compared to the Cutter.
-Game is good but also very stressful.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

ImpAtom posted:

The Plasma Cutter is one of the overall best weapons in the game, yeah. It's just incredibly powerful, accurate, fast and good at effectively everything and if you don't buy other weapons you're swimming in ammo you can sell to upgrade your rig.
I definitely wish I could go back in time and not buy/upgrade the Force Gun, which I've been keeping on hand as a backup because it seemed to get a lot of praise on the wiki and the general consensus seemed to be that keeping two guns on hand would allow you to get plenty of ammo for both (whereas 4 guns would dilute it too much). If I hadn't already put power nodes into the Force Gun I'd probably just sell it, but welp. Hopefully I can make do with it for a while but man all it seems to do is push enemies back rather than actually damage them.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Sakurazuka posted:

I definitely got use out of all the guns but it's been so long I can't remember what the Force gun was good for. I think something about its alt-fire?
It's basically a shotgun. I guess it's good for killing a large swarm of those small fuckers, whatever they're called. Everything else though seems to require either emptying the whole clip (basically just pushing them back constantly) or putting them into stasis to carefully aim one blast at the limbs.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Oh god I forgot to complain about that! I'm on a PS3 and that asteroid mini-game sucked a whole lot!!

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I appreciate having the map HUD be in-game but I really wish it was easier to see/pan around in.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Hey Chat thread. What are you trying to finish before January 1st?
Dead Space 1, Shantae, and the Dishonored 1 DLC.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

In Training posted:

Every mega man game ever. I finished 1-10 and now in on the X series. X2 is cool but I guess I permanently missed some bosses because they disappeared from my nap
This is a major reason why I've never been able to replay X2. X1 I can play again in my sleep, but with X2 I always get to the part where the X Hunters show up and get frustrated when I can't beat them.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Where the gently caress is the last heart container in Tassel Town in Shantae, it's driving me nuts and is the last thing I need.

E: Knew this was going to happen but literally found it minutes later in one of the stone dragon head things.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Dec 18, 2016

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Those playing Shantae: Make sure you trade for the Gem and Blobfish dances at least once, even though you're not really getting a new item they count towards your Item completion %.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Finished Dead Space 1 & Shantae today :toot:

DS1 was an all around solid experience. Generally good action set pieces and it feels real awesome when you mow down a group of enemies just right (and equally terrible when these encounters go south). The last boss was hilariously easy compared to the rest of the game.

Shantae was pretty much exactly what I expected it to be: a well made but generally easy platformer with some gorgeous visuals. I still think I prefer Pirate's Curse but that's probably because I just like the pirate abilities more than the dances.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

oddium posted:

blade runner is my second favorite movie and any remake or sequel would probably be bad but they wouldn't change how good blade runner is. also yeah make a snatcher movie
It's my third, after Aliens and Alien.

After being profoundly disappointed in Prometheus I honestly can't bring myself to really care or get upset at a Blade Runner sequel which yeah is probably going to ruin a lot of the mystique of the original. I've already been down that road when it comes to Ridley Scott Sci-Fi sequels/prequels.

Also, happy Shantae day!

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I've come to terms with Alien 3 and don't hate it nearly as much as I did as a child, but that franchise has always truly been only a two film set in my mind.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Also the entire premise as to why Alien 3 happens at all is a fairly big plot hole that is poorly explained/handwaved, if you can say it is at all.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

FirstAidKite posted:

Having never seen any of the alien series, was alien 3 the one where it was like "btw those characters in the previous film died off screen" or was that something else
You should watch Alien and Aliens, I am not a horror fan in the slightest but they are immensely enjoyable films. The first mostly because the atmosphere and art direction are off the charts and the second because it's in my mind the perfect action movie.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Sakurazuka posted:

Don't watch the special editions first time though, Alien doesn't add much apart from a famous deleted scene that contradicts stuff set up in later films and Aliens is just too long though it adds a few interesting scenes.
Yeah I'm a firm believer in the Aliens Theatrical Cut. There are obviously a handful of new scenes that are neat but ultimately there are just too many that also mess with the pacing and in some cases ruin some of the suspense/atmosphere.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The Final Cut version of BR that came out in I think 2007 is by far the best version. Did your version have any terrible narration by Harrison Ford?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I thought it was established that Ryan Gosling was a real human being, and a real hero.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
That's an optional area, you aren't supposed to go there yet.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
No Country For Old Men is one of my least favorite films, ever. I detest that movie.

Not because it's a bad film, it's one of the best acted, best directed, best whatever things I would have seen when it came out. But it made me feel so miserable, like literally I felt unhealthy emotionally/mentally for days afterwards, that I abhor the very fact that it exists. It put me in a bad place at a bad time in my life and I will forever hate it for that.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Snak posted:

Don't ever watch Sicario.
That's actually moderately helpful, since while it wasn't exactly something on my immediate to-watch list I was certainly considering it.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I don't think I've played even 5 games that got released in 2016. It's been backlog or games that are getting released now but actually came out in other countries earlier like Cold Steel 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Ys I is also unfortunately kind of a rough game that was improved a lot with its sequel. I still think it's worth playing though! But even if you don't care for it all that much be sure to give the rest of the other Steam Ys games a look anyway because they play a lot differently.

• Locked thread