Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Harrow posted:

I'm probably biased but yeah, if you're only ever going to play one Souls-like game, make it Bloodborne. It really is an exceptional game and I think it's the only one of the Souls(borne) games that I would recommend to just about anyone who likes games.

(I'm on record as saying that I think it's frighteningly close to being a perfect game, which I know a lot of people disagree with--blood gems and the worst online multiplayer system in the series are easily its biggest flaws, and I don't mean to downplay them--but frankly I stand by it.)

I think it has pretty much perfect gameplay, but it has a few half-baked design choices like blood gems. Pretty much the best Soulsgame for a lot of reasons though. DS1 is my other favorite, but BB has a lot of quality of life improvements that make it a smoother experience to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

FactsAreUseless posted:

Bloodborne plays a lot more like a traditional action game than DS1, and it has a lot less emphasis on the RPG portions, so players don't have to figure out about equipment stats and so forth as early as in DS1. DS1 is probably the easier game, but it's a different sort of difficulty.

Agreed.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Bloodborne would be perfect if blood vial farming wasn't a thing.

If it just always gave you 3 if had zero, it would be fine.

Which is what Nioh does, so... looking forward to that.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Sakurazuka posted:

Spend any spare echoes you have on blood vials towards the start of the game and you never have to farm.

Unless you're like me and you suck,

I can blow through 80 vials on one chalice boss and still not beat them.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

glam rock hamhock posted:

Actually I guess Lamp warping is the one thing the game really lacked that I felt.

The blood vials being limited but them giving you more of them gave the game a different tension than the Souls games so I didn't mind it.

Like, I don't mind spending money on vials every time I go back to base. It just sucks when you hit a wall and run out. Like, I'm a pretty big defender of blood vials mechanically, but running completely out kills momentum and sucks.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Yeah, that wasn't true at all for me, certainly not by the time I was fighting Ludwig or the Orphan. Of course by then there's some places to farm souls and buy vials in bulk, but it still sucks to do when you have to stop making attempts against a boss to do it.

Well with ludwig you can get 5 free vials on every run, so that's not really a big deal.

Also, those vials also drop for your cooperator, but the cooperator can't kill the skeleton, so be nice and kill it for them after you summon.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Thats how bosses are for ng too, though. When I start a new game, I plow through everything up until Logarius, Chalice Rom, Mergo's, and Ludwig. And Mergo's is by far the easiest of those.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
The demo was really cool.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Worked in Alien: Isolation

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Shadow the MegaMan?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Holy loving poo poo. Take. my. money.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I don't care at all what the gameplay of Death Stranding will be like. Like if it's 40 minutes of walking simulator wrapped in 5 hours of cutscenes, I'm sold.

I assume Bulletstorm remastered is coming to PS4? if it is, I'll pick that up for sure. I played the demo on 360, but it wasn't in my budget to buy it at the time, and since I moved onto ps4, I've been trying not to buy 360 games...

I just got back into Bravely Default after letting my DS languish untouched for months. So good. Just beat the Ninja boss.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I don't even understand that format of these things. Why is video-game centric media styled like talking head news bullshit. I can't stand to watch poo poo like that. It's like Fox News but about video games. So equally stupid, if less harmful.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I will stick to this thread.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

CrashCat posted:

http://venturebeat.com/2016/12/05/the-last-guardian-straddles-the-line-between-feeling-old-and-feeling-timeless/

Well there's one explanation of what they think makes it feel old and they mostly sound like positives to me

Fuckin lol.

yes, those all sound like positives.

...are there people that thought it was going to be about combat?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Can you guys spoil it for me? I don't give a single poo poo about it, I just want to be in on mocking lovely things because I'm a sad and dysfunctional person

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

CJacobs posted:

Basically: Frank is escaping with his 2 plot buddies onto a helicopter, but he doesn't quite make the jump. A bunch of zombies form a ladder and grab onto him, pulling him down. The others escape just fine in the chopper while Frank gets bitten to shreds. After a fade to black, the side characters talk extensively about how much Frank sucks. This is all a hook for the DLC in which it turns out Frank is alive and has to search for a cure to his bitten-ness.

It sucks. Here it is in video form.

Thanks.

yeah I tried to google it and all I found was videos of it.

I am in the modern minority of people who would apparently rather just read a paragraph than sit through a 10 minute video.

I never managed to get into Dead Rising. I got the first one a few years back free on Games with Gold. Played it for a bit, but by that time it just felt really dated and awkward.

This new one sounds loving terrible.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Wildtortilla posted:

I am part of this minority too.

yeah, it's not like a tiny minority, there are plenty of people who feel this way. But apparently not enough, because so much stuff is just videos. It's crazy to me. Videos certainly have their purposes, but I can read a lot faster than someone can narrate a video, and I can skim words for what I'm looking for.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

CJacobs posted:

I don't understand why wanting to consume a piece of visual media visually is crazy. Wanting to read a synopsis instead is not crazy either, but like... crazy? Really?

Well I said "so much stuff is just videos. It's crazy to me".

I don't think it's crazy to want to consume a piece of visual media visually. I think it's crazy how often videos replace articles when there is no need for them to do so.

ImpAtom posted:

I don't mind videos for some things but I frigging hate videos that explain how to fix/install/repair things. I understand why those are useful but I really don't want to sit through a 10 minute video when I just need a set of instructions.

And often, you are only confused on one step, and while it would be trivial to skim written instructions for clarification on your point of confusion, it's a huge pain to skip through a video looking for the part where they cover what you're looking for.

Plenty of times, I watch a video only to find out they never even do the thing I'm looking for, and the video is poorly named.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I think real literacy is a huge problem.

No, I don't mean that people literally can't read English. I mean they don't know how to parse sentences and turn them into useful information in their brain. People don't know how to read and follow instructions. People don't know how to use google. I work at an IT help desk in a college computer lab. I have helped basically every customer the exact same way: Typing their problem into google and reading them the result.

People ask things like "how do I print more than one powerpoint slide per page" "well, see the screen you're on right now? see where it says 'page setup'? And then slides per page?"

One of the places i work is a help desk next to a large sign giving directions to various things in the building. Two of the most common questions I get are "where are the printers" (there is a giant bank of printers in full view 15 feet away) and "where is [room on the giant sign 10 feet away]?"

edit: One time a girl asked me how to find what room her class was in. I thought she meant how to find the room number on her schedule. No, she didn't know how to find a numbered room in the building. I said "just go to the room with that number by the door" and she was like "Like, start on the top floor and work my way down?" "Well, it's 212, so it's probably on the second floor, I would start there..." "Okay, I just didn't want to walk into the wrong room!"

Snak fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Dec 5, 2016

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Oh man, someone report them to Funko Pop so they can get sued.

That's literally this image with about 2 photoshop filters on it

edit:

Leper Residue posted:

wait what 3 bucks to download a jpeg that is on the site and right there how is this a thing?
Yes. What the gently caress.

Phantasium posted:

More the "this is a poster of a loving funkopop"
Yes also.

Like, Funko Pop figures might be soul-less merchandising, but gently caress this rear end in a top hat who is selling someone else's images of someone else's IP that they just ran 2 filters on.

Snak fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Dec 5, 2016

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
non-sequitur:

I am assuming that if Mads Mikkelsen's scene from the last Death Stranding teaser is in the game, his helmet isn't actually going to disintegrate like that. I think it was done for dramatic effect and to reveal the likeness of Mads Mikkelsen.

But it would be fine and cool if it's just part of his tactical necromancer powers.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Bad Seafood posted:

IMO, I feel like what makes the Souls franchise unique (Bloodborne included) can be distilled down into four core components:
  • Methodical, equipment-dependent combat
  • Storytelling through inference
  • Loss of progression as a penalty for failure, typically forfeiting important resources, with conditional avenues to recover your progress
  • Community assistance and interference
There's more to any given Souls game than just this, of course, but these are the things that set the series apart for me; the things that, when I see them in another game, I think to myself, "Ah, they're doing the Souls thing." While it's true the Souls games tend to boast some strong level design and the promise of an interconnected world, that's nothing other games haven't already done. Back when Dark Souls first came out, I remember reading a review that likened it to a 3D Metroidvania.

All this to say, if we're to create a new category to encompass "Souls and Souls-like games," these are the four things I think we should focus on.

I agree with most of these points, but I want to bicker about terminology: "Loss of progression" is ambiguous and I don't feel it really communicates what makes it different from other methods of penalizing character death. Unlike games that use checkpoints or savegames, soulslikes continuously save and have a "respawn" system. Like Diablo.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
So what ended up being the deal with Poise in DS3 anyway?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Dewgy posted:

Poise basically makes you able to tank damage while swinging heavier weapons without getting the attack interrupted.

Some people call this hyper armor, because I guess every video game thing needs a special name, but that's all it really does.

i know what poise is, but for awhile people were saying it straight-up wasn't in DS3, but then later I heard that people just misunderstood it because it worked differently than in previous games.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Monkey Fracas posted:

Out tonight but tomorrow I can finally set up the new PS4 and Bear some Blood

Interested to see how the more aggressive combat changes the feel of the game- always went sword/board in the other games for a lot of stuff until I was forced to start rolling through boss attacks

I like never did parries and it seems like Bloodborne is based around parrying considering the guns basically exist to do that and nothing else

Not everyone agrees, but I think parrying is super easy in bloodborne compared to Dark Souls. Attempting it doesn't feel terrible and clumsy, and you don't have to worry about being right up against the enemy.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
This isn't related to anything, and doesn't contribute to meaningful discussion, but Bravely Default is really good and makes me happy. Except when a character dies the same round round I kill the boss, which makes me sad...

I'm also pretty excited there's a whole 'nother game after this one.

Between having BF1 right now, FFXV soon, Bravely Default now, and Pokemon soon, my gaming plate is quite full. I don't have nearly the free time to play all of these.

Gonna try to get FFXV right after finals thought so I can play it a bunch over winter break.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I think I just started chapter 5 (just got to Eternia in the Grandship). Playing on normal, which is good for me. I'm pretty bad at the game and don't seem to understand a lot of the synergy. Like, I feel like I do, but it's not apparent in my damage output. Most boss battles take me 30 minutes.

Part of it is that I just don't look closely enough at jobs. Initially I avoided Salve Maker because a class that depends on a huge variety of consumables sounded really tedious. But when I realized what the passive was, my healer more than doubled in effectiveness and I've since embraced the Salve Maker toolset.

And I just got an entertainer going, which is really sick. So now my transitory setup is something like

Pirate/Knight
Ninja/Swordmaster
Salve Maker/White Mage
Entertainer/Black Mage

Pirate/Knight is about to flip back to Knight/Pirate (I was levelling pirate) go from dps/tank to Tank
Ninja/Swordmaster is probably going to go to Valkyrie/Ninja or vice versa,
Other two are probably staying the same for a bit.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Harrow posted:

That's Chapter 4, I'm pretty sure. You'll definitely know it when you hit the part people talk about.
Gotcha

quote:

Salve-Maker owns hard, especially once you get the mix that lets you double a party member's max HP.
Is that for the duration of the battle? Presumably non-stacking?

quote:

Oh, one more Chapter 4 tip (job spoiler, not plot spoiler): when you get the last job in Chapter 4, look up a guide to finding its abilities. It's a classic Final Fantasy "Blue Mage" job and some of the very good abilities that are available in Chapter 4, like White Wind, don't show up again until like Chapter 7, so it's much easier to grab them while you can.

Yeah I've been doing all the optional side-quests as I go. I'll make sure I get it.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
For some reason, up until about a month ago, I thought TLG was a nintendo exclusive. So I had never paid any attention to it assuming it would never be on a platform I had. So when I realized it was not that at all and that it was on PS4, which is my platform, I didn't have any preexisting hype at all.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

glam rock hamhock posted:

Not being hyped for a big release is fine. There is no law saying that you have to be hyped for a game others are hyped for. Still, just sort of stating that you don't think a game looks interesting doesn't really add much to the conversation and often just comes across as making GBS threads on others enthusiasm

Oh yeah. I'm actually happy that I'm not hype. It's extremely my poo poo, but I certainly can't afford another game right now.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

oddium posted:

blow: i estimate only one percent of servers will successfully solve my order

waitress: jonathan please stop coming to this applebee's

...and now I'm picturing Always Sunny in Philadelphia.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

LawfulWaffle posted:

IGround Zeroes cost too much at the time of release for what you got, but I still find the missions fun to play through now and again. Getting S ranks was a fun challenge, and after that you start playing around with the system and putting every prisoner and combatant into the chopper. I think once you get it down, you can fly through the Jamais Vu mission in like three minutes or less. Raiden is a speedy man.

I would have been mad if I had paid more than $10 for Ground Zeroes, I think. But I got it for free on PSN, which was awesome.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

MMF Freeway posted:

Pepper jelly goes good with cheese and crackers

Holy poo poo, yes it does. Just discovered that pepper jelly is a thing like, last month...

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Christmas games:

Mr. Podunkian's loving awesome

MERRY GEAR SOL!D: Secret Santa (download page)

and the sequel, which I haven't played

MERRY GEAR SOL!D 2: Ghosts of Christmas Past (download page)

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Aren't mazes, by definition, non-linear?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I'm not sure what that would be called. I'm sure there's a technically accurate term. Cyclical, probably.

A cyclical maze.

(I have never played a MegaMan game.)

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Maybe. It's probably way too hard for me. I tried to play Super Mario Brothers once, and that did not go well. Platforming is not my thing.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I just never had a nintendo growing up, never developed the reflexes for sidescrolling jump physics. A few people have tried to get me to play it, but they pretty much give up after watching me die to the first goomba and fall in the first hole like 10 times in a row.

Since I have no nostalgia for the games, I don't really care if I'm "missing out" or whatever.

edit: ^ I just don't have any interest in them as a genre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

MMF Freeway posted:

I'm borrowing a friend's ps4 so I can play ff15 starting this weekend. This is the same friends who lent me his ps4 to play bloodborne on. I keep offering my wii u in return but he doesn't think anything is worth playing on it :negative:

Bayonetta 2?

I'm so mad that I can't play either Bayonetta on my PS4...

edit: I like "platformers" like Tomb Raider, where jumps are fixed distances. I can't cope with the "you control your character's forward and backward movement while in the air" aspect of Mario. Tomb Raider has like, 4 different jump distances, which all have their place (Jumping and landing on your feet, jumping and grabbing, running and jumping and landing on your feet, and running and jumping and grabbing).

Snak fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Dec 9, 2016

• Locked thread