Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

River City Ransom sure looks nice in previews but the builds I tried play horrible and I'm really worried about the final product.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I don't think there's ever been a time that a developer or publisher claiming something is a "return to the series' roots" has been anything but a horrible lie.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

boy are my arms tired posted:

you still get the purists tho "ew its not 2 or 3 why would i play outlast clone #235425"

If it's not like classic Resident Evil, and it's not like Resident Evil 4, in what way is it Resident Evil.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Resident Evil's been dead for years anyway.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

I haven't played a single RE since the original release of 4

Somehow I feel I'm better off for that

RE4 killed Resident Evil.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Trying to "change up the formula" is how you ruin a game series. Mega Man didn't change its formula and it took them a long time to gently caress up and make a really bad one. Not every franchise needs to be Mario.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Stux posted:

resi 4 is a lot of peoples favourite resi and was absolutely a massive change up to the formula

Yeah and it broke the franchise since no one was able to recapture what was good about it in the sequels, and no one would accept a return to the old fixed-camera gameplay either because they love RE4 so much. Which is why Resident Evil keeps trying to reinvent itself every year now.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

On the other hand there is no long-running franchise at this point which hasn't changed up its formula. You change your formula eventually or you die.

Or you... make new games that aren't iterations on a franchise. And go back to that franchise once people actually want more of it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

tane

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

achillesforever6 posted:

I'm sad that Nolan North is a scab :smith:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Putting QTEs in cutscenes was so obnoxious.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Andrast posted:

You get a ton of great death scenes for failing those though.

Yeah but the game's ungenerous checkpoints made it hard to enjoy having to redo a whole section because I tried to eat my Alpha-bits during a boring talky part.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

How do I type in my answers. I can't just write them down in a .txt, I'm a busy man.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Some of these are really bad choices as they have weak melodies and are generically atmospheric.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Final result: 20 correctly identified songs. 11 unindentified songs from games I actually played.

Calling bullshit on: the FF7 one for being an FF5 song, the Mortal Kombat one for being from the genesis version, which was never played by a human being.

I also confused the ghost trick song with this one.

So I get a passing grade, at least, if we exclude the ones it was literally impossible for me to get due to not having played the games.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Help Im Alive posted:

akuma needs to consult hyrule warriors ganondorf on how to pull this off

I swear this guy used to be cool.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

spudsbuckley posted:

Sony have been knocking it out of the park this gen.

They seem to just think "what will literally make peoples dreams come true?" and then do it.

Woah, a post from the parallel universe where Sony's next gen library hasn't mostly consisted of huge letdowns and mediocre ports.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Last of Us 2? More like Knack 2. Get some taste, plebs.

Also, I really like that the original Crash trilogy is being remade, but I don't like the aesthetic approach they've taken with it at all. They've literally just gotten every asset and redone them from the ground up, except with no sense of visual cohesion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fbO2-egZ3U

I know I sound like an angry old man when I say the originals looked 'better' but the colour palette, and the griminess of the enviroment really does look better in the old game - everything looks 'bright and floaty' in the remake. Naughty Dog have always been good at lived-in environmental design - is unfortunate they couldn't replicate it well here.

Oh my god it's like original Crash murdered a real bandicoot and is wearing its skin.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Guy Mann posted:

Don't worry, they have that one coming out too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lW_MrzzR1Xg

Full Throttle is set in a dystopian future, not a post-apocalyptic one.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

In Training posted:

I played through all of RE4 with the TMP and got flamed heavily when I mentioned that.

The TMP is good.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Why is it even possible to kill the merchant. What kind of monster would put that in the game.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Bicyclops posted:

9 and 10 are okay, they're just too expensive for what they are

Aren't they like 10 dollars.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Bicyclops posted:

7 kind of sucks though, and I remember 8 being a weird collectathon for screws in between anime movies.

7 does not suck.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Mega Man Legends and its sequels have aged terribly.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

FirstAidKite posted:

What's the wily castle twist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrYwAMKCBaE&t=4288s

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Spoderman posted:

The big problem with seven is that they stagger the levels, so that you have to beat the first four robot masters before the next four, and the first four are all less fun than the last four. It's a very backloaded game.

There's a password that unlocks all 8 bosses from the start.

Bicyclops posted:

Also making Mega Man big instead of going the Mega Man X route makes you have about 3 Mega Mans worth of screen space. X is just better.

You can always play this extremely good fan game if that's a real sticking point. Although it does remove the shop and intro stage from the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDOn56hpR7w

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Mak0rz posted:

That does not make it right.

I'm not bringing that up as a defense of the decision, just a handy way to bypass it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I'll never understand what people see in X4. Putting aside the incredibly awful voice acting and anime cutscenes, it's also an ugly-rear end game that has terrible aesthetics and the level design is pretty weak compared to the SNES games. Zero also kinda sucks to play as, and X's buster just feel kinda puny and pathetic compared to what it was in the good games. I mean yeah, it's way better than X5 and X6, but that doesn't mean it's good.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Shindragon posted:

Compare to how he played in X3? He was pretty drat horrible in that.

X4 he was a blast to play with.

No, in X3 he just played like Mega Man but with tons of health and a super strong sword. Then for some reason they decided he should be SWORD GUY and never use a buster, and that was laaaaame.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

MMF Freeway posted:

I find it hard to retain information unless a grotesque youtuber shouts it at me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPAITAuuk-8

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Monster Hunter and Dark Souls' combat is surprisingly similar.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Shout-outs to all the people who played through Fallout 3 without realizing there was a flashlight.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I'm playing Metal Gear Ground Zeroes and here's my review so far:

Hideo Kojima is a stupid idiot for replacing David Hayter with Kiefer Sutherland.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

I thought he asked Hayter and got turned down

The new guy grew on me but yeah I missed Hayter a lot

Hayter's been very, very explicit about how it was Kojima specifically who had him fired from a role he loved. Some people tried to rationalize that it was because it's Big Boss instead of Solid Snake, but Kojima didn't replace the Japanese VA. Others want to blame Konami higher-ups, but they immediately re-hired him for a stupid commercial once Kojima was gone. Apparently the reason Kojima gave was that he thought Hayter did a bad job on MGS4.

It's widely speculated that the reason both MGS5s have so little Snake dialogue (something everyone complained about) is because Sutherland's rates were much higher than the other VAs. Hayter being fired is also why Metal Gear Rising's US release didn't have the special wooden sword haunted by the spirit of Solid Snake, which would randomly comment on the gameplay in Snake's voice.

So yeah. Stupid idiot.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I'll get back to you on those themes and story when I actually finish playing through both games, but after MGS4 and Ground Zeroes I'm predicting they're gonna be really stupid.

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Didn't Hayter also say that Kojima become upset that he basically became the face of Metal Gear Solid up until V started serious production? Like when there were award shows and the sort back in 2005 you'd have the Voice of Solid Snake David Hayter presenting something usually. It was like how Nolan North basically became the face of the entire Uncharted series and for some reason Kojima really wasn't comfortable with it happening with his own series.

That's entirely possible. Only Kojima really knows the reason, but it's a bad move for sure.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPnTa1UJPEI

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

In Training posted:

It's OK but it seems super uninspired. I've only beaten 3 of the first 4 levels (WTF only being able to choose from half...)

I told you about the password and fangame already.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Sonic Boom is terrible you malicious liar.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

More Ground Zeroes thoughts: it's a real letdown that there's no non-retro Solid Snake skin in Deja Vu, and it sucks that Jamais Vu is so back-loaded with combat, since identifying Snatchers and sparing humans is really fun, as is sneaking around with a character who has superhuman speed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Leroy Dennui posted:

:drugnerd:

(from the MUSHA manual)

How is this jaggedy and blurry at the same time?

• Locked thread