Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Carrying on from the discussion from the November thread, I apparently don't hate the Avengers films as much as everyone else here, but they are easily the worst of the MCU films. I think Civil War handled the crossover aspect a lot better. I do like Whedon's stuff generally, but hopefully him taking a step back will mean the Infinity War films (or whatever the second one will be) will be better.

Also yeah 2016 has sucked but I'm not sure things are really looking better for 2017. :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Ghostlight posted:

Marvel made a press release where they referred to Greg Land as one of their hottest artists. I'm done with the year.
Like it or not, he sells comics.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

CapnAndy posted:

Don't you run into the problem where because one side of the comic is thicker than the other the stack starts to tilt and then you have to start a new stack?
Well obviously you have to flip them around every 20 books or so to even it out.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Skwirl posted:

God dammit, I'm on a 6 month delay because of unlimited, but I was digging Iron-Man and hoping it was a return to form and all the terrible things I heard about Civil War 2 through the grapevine was just because it was an event book and Marvel event books suck, but Bendis loving up Jessica Jones of all things is the worst news possible.
Marvel event books don't suck.

Bendis event books suck.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Infinity and Secret Wars were both great.

In general Event Books (from both the Big Two) are pretty trash, aside from a small number of exceptions. Bendis ones in particular are usually pretty bad though.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Lurdiak posted:

I highly doubt you can prove that.

irlZaphod posted:

Infinity and Secret Wars were both great.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

I like Carol a lot, but the DeConnick stuff was underwhelming. The 2nd collection listed there (In Pursuit of Flight) is probably the best of the bunch.

If you're looking for Strong Female Protagonist, I'd probably recommend Soule's She-Hulk over all of those. Or something along the lines of Batgirl or Batwoman, if you're not adverse to trying some DC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

X-O posted:

DeConnick is not a very good writer so that explains that.
That's not true, but ok.

Aphrodite posted:

They're actually in order, not that it makes that clear.
They're not, the middle volume was the first series iirc. That one was ok, it had some nice moments.

Soonmot posted:

EDIT: Also, what the gently caress even happened between 101 and 102? 101 is about all mutants losing their powers and now suddenly, every one is in black, thirty years old, and working for Wisdom. I was waiting for the reveal that this was an alternate reality all issue.
At the time all the X-Books went through a revamp where there was a 6 month time jump and a new status quo for each book set up. 3 of the books (X-Force, X-Man and Generation X) were overseen by Ellis, under the "Counter X" banner.

irlZaphod fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Dec 21, 2016

• Locked thread