Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Why are Leicester so bad this season? They put in good CL performances but the league play is dire.

Championship winners, relegation candidate, PL winners, relegation candidate is utterly bizarre. Some of it was every single player having a career year all at once but I don't think they all forgot how to play football over the summer. Or Kante was just that good after all.

They weren't expected to perform that well at all so there was no pressure beyond escaping relegation. Most teams didn't know how to handle them at first and kept getting caught out by Vardy and Mahrez. Eventually everyone wised up but it was too late. Now, everyone has Leicester's number and they don't have the same hunger since they won the league.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015

Why are Leicester so bad this season? They put in good CL performances but the league play is dire.

Championship winners, relegation candidate, PL winners, relegation candidate is utterly bizarre. Some of it was every single player having a career year all at once but I don't think they all forgot how to play football over the summer. Or Kante was just that good after all.

three main factors really.

1. kante was good enough to fix the problem of a 442 being soft centered
2. huth and morgan got away with literally grappling every single striker so they couldn't score, they could block and head everything else away.
3. it took the whole season for teams to realise vardy just ran really really fast.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

blue footed boobie posted:

The heavy defeats that he was accumulating at the end probably indicate that he's not actually competent. I doubt they'll be able to get someone who will do much better points-wise, but they'll find someone who will have them relegated in a less embarrassing fashion.

All he had to do at Swansea was take a bunch of lovely players and give them ultra-conservative tactics so they don't get run over by much more skilled teams. This is literally the job description of being the USA manager. The fact that he failed so miserably says quite a lot.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

The exact same thing happens with every small team that gets into Europe.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

sassassin posted:

The exact same thing happens with every small team that gets into Europe.

Except the part where Leicester topped their CL group with a game to spare.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

pik_d posted:

How is that different to what I said?

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

pik_d posted:

Its almost like they have been focussing on Europe and the extra games have taken its toll on them :iiam:

Still B.A.E
Mar 24, 2012

Maybe Leicester will win the champions league and get relegated. That'd be something.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Still B.A.E posted:

Maybe Leicester will win the champions league and get relegated. That'd be something.

First championship team to be in the CL...would like to see it happen

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Leicester did well last season for a variety of reasons but one of them was that teams attacked them- meaning that could sit deep, soak up the pressure, then hit a long ball to Vardy or Mahrez who were brilliant at getting past one defender or two and scoring. This is why they had gently caress all possession in games. Also Kante's engine meant they could afford to only play two in the middle. Now Leicester are struggling because teams weaker than them are replicating their style and sitting deep making it infinitely harder to counter against. There are also more sides playing 3 at the back now which also makes it harder. I think they tried to counter this by bringing in Slimani as it gives them a different dimension but so far it hasn't quite worked.

Still think they're going to be too good to avoid relegation though (also Sunderland, Swansea, and Hull all look far worse) and they have the cash to alter things in January.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Blue Star Error posted:

I feel like people say this every year and there's always twists and turns. Well exactly one twist where Sunderland escape.

Yes, but now I've said it, and I'm always right.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Leicester got sussed.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Blue Star Error posted:

I feel like people say this every year and there's always twists and turns. Well exactly one twist where Sunderland escape.

Clearly we have to get Wigan back in the PL.

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
Leicester just went on a run of form, except that instead of 8 games it was 38

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Monday Bandele posted:

Leicester just went on a run of form, except that instead of 8 games it was 38

More like 57 because they were actually really good in the second half of the season before they won the league

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

Pissflaps posted:

Leicester got sussed.

*pep shakes his etch-a-sketch clean, tries to come up with a new formation, shakes it clean again, wipes the drool from his chin*

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

I enjoyed the Leicester thing while it lasted; it was nice.

Hopefully it happens with West Brom one day.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Thirteenth Step posted:

I enjoyed the Leicester thing while it lasted; it was nice.

Hopefully it happens with West Brom one day.

Or Liverpool! Lmao

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
this will all end well I'm sure

https://twitter.com/TeleFootball/status/814559387041808384

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Imagine all the advanced stats terms being thrown around at the Liberty Stadium, tasty stuff

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

tbf lots of teams use analytics for player scouting. It's just not DZSIBOT and the other advanced states nonsense you see in the weekend web thread. That said, I have no clue what a "moneyball expert" is.

Also, from that article:

quote:

Harry Redknapp has been in contact with Swansea over the possibility of a short-term role until the end of the season

:trumppop:

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

What the gently caress is wrong with Swansea? They used to be the blueprint on how to move up the leagues while playing good football and investing well.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
colemans wife turned down the job on twitter lmao owned

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

RideTheSpiral posted:

colemans wife turned down the job on twitter lmao owned

Link

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

https://twitter.com/CharLouJackson/status/814451207099928576?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/dec/29/chris-coleman-wife-rules-him-out-swansea-city-managerial-job?CMP

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I maintain my bold statement I made last season that Vardy will be playing in the championship by 2019.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Chris Coleman has said a few times in the past that he'd never want to manage Swansea as he wouldn't want to be hated at home should he fail.

But then he's paid peanuts in his current job so maybe.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

their zeebot and xg will be through the roof

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

serious gaylord posted:

I maintain my bold statement I made last season that Vardy will be playing in the championship by 2019.

That's fairly optimistic. I predict Vardy will put Gazza to shame by 2022.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

serious gaylord posted:

32 year old striker moving down a division. A bold prediction.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

serious gaylord posted:

Why did the chavvy fucker turn down the move to Arsenal again?

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
Vardy made a big enough name for himself that he even if he falls out of favor at Leicester he's going to get multiple chances at mid table or bottom table clubs.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

PirateBob posted:

Why did the chavvy fucker turn down the move to Arsenal again?

Pacey counter attacker doesn't want to play for a team that politely lets the opposition defense get organized before attacking, news at 11.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Vardy's form collapsed the moment refs cottoned on to how he was getting so many penalties and he started to get booked instead.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Vardy's form collapsed the moment refs cottoned on to how he was getting so many penalties and he started to get booked instead.

And how was he able to get so many penalties? Also his form was amazing last year, scoring plenty of good (and a couple ridiculously good) goals.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

santanotreal posted:

And how was he able to get so many penalties? Also his form was amazing last year, scoring plenty of good (and a couple ridiculously good) goals.

Running with a defender close behind and to one side, cut his stride and/or throw his leg out so the defender catches him and brings him down:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSmljDtnwWI

He'd got 4 or 5 penalties and shitloads of free kicks doing exactly that move up to that point, and as soon as defenders sussed they could get within two yards of him without risking a penalty or free kick he's barely scored a goal.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!

UnlimitedSpessmans posted:

2. huth and morgan got away with literally grappling every single striker so they couldn't score, they could block and head everything else away.

This one was incredibly irritating

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

wicka posted:

Pacey counter attacker doesn't want to play for a team that politely lets the opposition defense get organized before attacking, news at 11.

You're saying Wenger was about to make a bad attacking signing? :raise:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

PirateBob posted:

You're saying Wenger was about to make a bad attacking signing? :raise:

No, I think Wenger already knew he wanted use Sanchez at forward and was looking at Vardy specifically as a different option off the bench, just like Perez. Which is another reason Vardy didn't come.

• Locked thread