Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
I'm starting to doubt that the reason people distrust media is because of media literacy. I think the reason for distrust media is because of strong propaganda forces that hardwire people into feeling a certain way. To put to much onus on the individual who is influenced by crap might be blaming the egg for the chicken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Rexicon1 posted:

I'm starting to doubt that the reason people distrust media is because of media literacy. I think the reason for distrust media is because of strong propaganda forces that hardwire people into feeling a certain way. To put to much onus on the individual who is influenced by crap might be blaming the egg for the chicken.
I didn't say it was the sole cause. And greater media literacy won't make people trust the media, it just will help to address the problem of people being unable to differentiate between real news and fake. It will also help hold a lot of "mainstream" media outlets accountable for really bad journalism.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Like if I wanted to claim 18% of pork shoulder contains hook worm cysts. I could make a dozen very professional news websites, write extremely long and detailed articles that mention that, quote the USDA saying it's true
Oh my god you're so dumb. You do not understand the news at all. Let's examine: The USDA puts out press releases about food safety all the time. They would also very publicly dispute this claim. Other news sources would also contact the USDA before they just ran your story verbatim.

quote:

with dozens of websites I also hosted saying the USDA confirmed it
The USDA has a website, and spokespeople, and a media team. Again, they would publicly say this is not true.

quote:

said that and all link it to a bunch of scientific journals I also wrote and submitted to poor quality publishing farm fake scientific journals that most people wouldn't know were fake.
This is my point about good journalistic practice. Good news sources would point out that those aren't respected journals, and say why. You aren't sort of media mastermind capable of running an unbeatable con. People have tried this poo poo, with the fake sources. They always get caught. Stephen Glass is a great example. And if people understood the basics of good reporting, like I'm arguing, it would fall apart even faster.

quote:

At that point I could add that fact to wikipedia and a dozen other sites would use that number because they checked wikipedia and wikipedia seemed to have some good sources.
Your plan is built on the entire media apparatus all just throwing their hands up and not doing their jobs.

quote:

And maybe someday CNN would just say in some throw away cooking safety throw away segment, then I got cites from CNN saying it's true.
CNN would always just defer to official USDA food safety guidelines, as would basically any journalist, because that's a safe and reliable source.

quote:

And none of this would ever trick someone who actually knew for even a second, but it's a huge web of apparently good journalism eventually built on the bones of bad journalism because the original was just lies.
No, because as I pointed out a bunch of times, this all fell apart immediately. Again, you have no idea what you're talking about. You don't understand how the news works. You have no experience with it. You do not get it, at all, and you're trying to make arguments that are based on an understanding of the media that you simply don't have. Yes, hoaxes can be perpetuated in the media. Yes, reporters fail to do their jobs - or never have a chance in the first place. But what I'm saying, over and over, is that an audience with a better understanding of the standards of news reporting will be able to make more informed decisions and hold the media accountable.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Like, I am not a super experienced or talented reporter. I do not have awards. I do not report full time. But the basics of journalism just aren't that complex, and we absolutely can help people better understand them. This isn't a hopeless situation. I'm not offering a magical panacea here, I'm just saying an effort can be made to improve the situation, and one way to do that is to make it harder for people to make money on bad reporting, by reducing the demand for bad reporting.

Vindicator
Jul 23, 2007

There is something darkly humorous about arguing that biased media sources can follow the strictest media standards, and demonstrating how this can be done by... literally not investigating a blatant fraud? Owlofcreamcheese, no. Just no.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

FactsAreUseless posted:

Oh my god you're so dumb. You do not understand the news at all. Let's examine: The USDA puts out press releases about food safety all the time. They would also very publicly dispute this claim. Other news sources would also contact the USDA before they just ran your story verbatim.

My fake news sites say they contacted the USDA and they said it was true.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

That's not how it works, I don't know what you aren't getting about this.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

You're like a little kid shouting "I HAVE A LASER SHIELD."

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

FactsAreUseless posted:

That's not how it works, I don't know what you aren't getting about this.

It's not how what works? It's exactly how anti vaccine and anti global warming stuff works. It's false information so if someone digs enough they can find that the lies are lies, but they are lies that are apparently well supported as other liars say them, including quotes from experts that don't exist and quotes from people that seem like they would be experts but are not.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

It's not how what works? It's exactly how anti vaccine and anti global warming stuff works. It's false information so if someone digs enough they can find that the lies are lies, but they are lies that are apparently well supported as other liars say them, including quotes from experts that don't exist and quotes from people that seem like they would be experts but are not.
Your position is that media literacy is either pointless or impossible because people can just fake good journalism. I'm telling you that isn't possible. As your hypothetical demonstrates, you don't have enough media experience to understand that. The official position of organizations like the Associated Press is that vaccines are safe and effective and global warming is real. They didn't start at these conclusions and work backwards. The basics of research and investigation that make for good reporting led them to it. That's my point. There is no situation of "good journalism disguising false facts" because good journalism will, very quickly, turn up that those facts are false. Teaching people to recognize the difference between good and bad journalism allows them to better evaluate the news and recognize when a news organization - or fake news organization - is failing at it.

Vindicator
Jul 23, 2007

At best, you could argue that fake news is a strategic disinformation campaign. That very obviously doesn't make it an example of good journalistic standards, though, so basically you sound like a crazy person.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

"People should be taught to better recognize good and bad journalism."

"That's impossible, because what if bad journalism?"

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
While it's theoretically possible to put effort into fake journalism (in the pure or nearly-pure sense), few people actually bother, because that's not where the money is. See, e.g., https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...m=.62a594815660 and http://nymag.com/selectall/2016/11/can-facebook-solve-its-macedonian-fake-news-problem.html for discussion of the economics of this sort of thing; the goal is generally maximum clicks for minimum effort.

The incentives change where the motivation is more specific, but not by much. It's possible that there are people with financial ties the the chicken industry who would specifically try to bring down the pork industry with sophisticated lies about the USDA and hook worm cysts, but if they had enough impact to bring down pork sales, they'd get noticed enough to get into legal trouble.

Note that it is possible (and common) to spread sophisticated misinformation for the benefit of specific commercial interests, but people don't do it by fabricating USDA quotes; it's safer to fund think tanks that produce misleading but not completely fabricated statistics.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

FactsAreUseless posted:

Your position is that media literacy is either pointless or impossible because people can just fake good journalism. I'm telling you that isn't possible. As your hypothetical demonstrates, you don't have enough media experience to understand that. The official position of organizations like the Associated Press is that vaccines are safe and effective and global warming is real. They didn't start at these conclusions and work backwards. The basics of research and investigation that make for good reporting led them to it. That's my point. There is no situation of "good journalism disguising false facts" because good journalism will, very quickly, turn up that those facts are false. Teaching people to recognize the difference between good and bad journalism allows them to better evaluate the news and recognize when a news organization - or fake news organization - is failing at it.

I think what he's trying to say is that an established organization can potentially discredit themselves in certain circles by overstepping their bounds while a fake news site can come up with an endless amount of false sources that the average person can't navigate while being presented in a fashion that matches 'legitimate' sources (see: infowars' extremely high production value)

So it's less of media literacy = bad and more like it's a deep dark grey area that most people can't handle. We all understand that the Cato Institute is a bullshit source of information but when it's 'findings' are being presented generations away from the source, that's more difficult.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Call Me Charlie posted:

I think what he's trying to say is that an established organization can potentially discredit themselves in certain circles by overstepping their bounds while a fake news site can come up with an endless amount of false sources that the average person can't navigate while being presented in a fashion that matches 'legitimate' sources (see: infowars' extremely high production value)

So it's less of media literacy = bad and more like it's a deep dark grey area that most people can't handle. We all understand that the Cato Institute is a bullshit source of information but when it's 'findings' are being presented generations away from the source, that's more difficult.
Yes, but what I'm saying is that people can be taught to tell the difference between the shallow appearance of legitimacy, as in your infowars example, and real journalism. That doesn't mean that the media will become impossible to manipulate. But the standards of good journalism make it more difficult to do so - right now, a lot of the media is failing at the basics of reporting. One reason is that there's a lot of economic incentive toward bad practices. For example, the live unedited interview with a controversial subject, or having campaign surrogates on live panel shows. Those things happen because they're cheap to produce and get good ratings. But if you have generations growing up that will choose not to support these things, in much the same way they wouldn't go to a doctor who wanted to use leeches to cure a cold, a lot of that incentive goes away. Obviously problems will still exist, and it isn't the sole solution that fixes every problem. You just can't fix the problems in the news reporting without giving the audience the tools to make better decisions about what media they consume.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Can't we just go back to calling "fake news" propaganda? There is literally no difference.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

UV_Catastrophe posted:

I was thinking about buying a subscription to the Washington Post to try and support real journalism, but lol at that fake "Russian propaganda" story that they published.

Is it worthwhile to try to support these established and well-recognized news organizations, even though almost all of them have been complicit in our current media trainwreck? I don't want my :10bux: going towards lovely journalism, but I also don't want the true crackpot news organizations to push out the more legitimate ones that are at least attempting to bring out the truth.

Every media organization fucks up occasionally. If you wait for the newspaper that has never been wrong, you'll never subscribe to anything. The Facebook fake news scandal is about sources that are *always* wrong or dishonest, not those that are occasionally hoodwinked.

Just reading a "reliable source" doesn't mean you don't have to engage your critical thinking skills.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

It's also about more than just the sources and facts presented. Again, it's not just about the end result, or even just "is the story true." It's about how it's reported, because true things can be reported in ways that are misleading. Let's take a look at a random Fox News story.

quote:

Hampshire College returns US flag to full staff; president denies playing politics
The headline is already a problem, because it uses implication to suggest a particular narrative. "President denies playing politics" implies that the president was playing politics. Every fact in here is true, but you already have one bad practice: a misleading headline. Headlines really matter, and journalists can often be bad at them. They're deceptively tricky.

quote:

Hampshire College in Massachusetts raised the American flag back to full staff Friday after outraged veterans protested the school's decision to stop flying all flags across campus.
This lede is mostly fine, except it wasn't just veterans who protested.

quote:

The college in Amherst had lowered the U.S. flag to half-staff after Election Day. The flag was found burned on Veterans Day, and the school chose to stop flying it – and any other flags – a week later.
The conjunction in the second sentence implies that the school chose to stop flying it because it was burned. Again, bad practice: the reporter is misleading through implication.

quote:

"We understand that many who hold the flag as a powerful symbol of national ideals and their highest aspirations for the country -- including members of our own community -- felt hurt by our decisions, and that we deeply regret," the college's president, Jonathan Lash, stated Friday. He added, "We did not lower the flag to make a political statement. ... We acted solely to facilitate much-needed dialogue on our campus about how to dismantle the bigotry that is prevalent in our society."
This is fine. It's pretty standard in a story like this to run the statement of apology.

quote:

The school's choice to stop flying the flag triggered widespread condemnation and a protest by veterans groups and their supporters outside campus. Last weekend, dozens of vets and other activists held American flags and chanted, "U.S.A.," in a rally that organizers called a "peaceful demonstration of freedom."
This is a mess. The first sentence is okay - it's all accurate, and it's a fair way to present the situation. The second sentence is a disaster. Why does it matter that they chanted "U.S.A?" Was that the only thing they chanted? Worse still is the last part. Of course the organizers called it that, that's their job. Why are they just uncritically quoting that? Again, you can apply this standard to any piece of reporting: if a reporter does a story on a group that did something, and they characterize the event using a quote from that group's organizers, that's bad reporting.

quote:

Mayor Domenic Sarno of nearby Springfield and others at the rally said the school's decision disrespected veterans and current military members.
Did they? Did "others" say that? Did they all say the same thing? Quoting unspecified "others" or "many say that" or "some feel" is an objectively bad practice. Again, this can be applied widely.

quote:

In video that aired Wednesday on "The O'Reilly Factor," Fox News' Jesse Watters confronted Lash, who refused to comment on the controversy at that time.
This is garbage. It does not matter what happened on another Fox show. The report is being used to promote a show owned by the organization for which the reporter works. This is an objectively bad practice. Additionally, they don't provide a link to the video so the viewer can see and judge whether their account of what happened is true.

quote:

"Hampshire staff and faculty have led facilitated discussions, I have held multiple focus group sessions, and all of our students, faculty, and staff have been invited to contribute their opinions, questions, and perspectives about the U.S. flag. This is what free speech looks like," Lash said Friday.
This is fine, although it should appear higher up in the story. It's also implied that Lash said this on The O'Reilly factor, because this is a garbage story.

But every criticism in here isn't of the factual content of the story, which may or may not be accurate. It's of the manner in which it was presented. There are best practices, in terms of reporting and ethics and writing and so forth, that have been discussed and agreed upon based on objective standards of good reporting. You can look for them in any story, just like you would look at any other profession. It's just that journalists aren't licensed like interior designers or lawyers. There's no bar exam. There's no board of journalistic ethics that will take away your reporter's license if you breach them. That's entirely up to the audience, and that's why the audience needs to know these things.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Sure. And anyone who actually cares to verify that would go hunting for the original USDA press release, posted publicly on the USDA website, that announced the news. They'd follow your source links through all your fake news sites looking for the actual public USDA statement your claim would be based on.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Nothing is true; everything is permitted.

In Australia, the truism 'the Narrative' informs the way many of us get our news, fake, bad journalism or otherwise. We've got the worst combination of centralized media ownership and swinging door lobbies. The same faces around different directorial boards, etc. It was coined for the then seemingly extraordinary control of the 24hr cycle by the Howard reign from the late 90's to the late 00's, and only started breaking down because neoliberal policy's results had no political outlet strong enough to disrupt it.

Now it's in full disruption, and the money pit that journalism has become makes the Narrative more dangerous because there is no journalistic will to contest it, as there was once upon a time. I'd even claim we were post-fact before post-fact was a thing. Howard was all about post-fact. His successors are merely refining the technique, and they're not terribly good at it.

FAU, I found your proposition of teaching media literacy very appealing, but would never happen here, the right wing are on to such plans and fight their culture wars more successfully on the curriculum than the US Midwest - which is the very place that needs that literacy most and will never get it anyway. So, great idea, shame about the execution. Unless civilization itself recognizes the danger, I fail to see why any ideologue would permit such a limitation.

Astroturfing remains a clear and present danger, and in combination with 24hr fake news, done well, could be devastating. The problem of combatting that is who wants to read an in-depth investigation by a journalist of other journalists or think tank ideologues? It might stroke the right nerve of a liberal like myself but the mass of people just don't care about that stuff. That's the biggest problem, most people don't care about the fakeness of fake news anyway.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

I'm an optimist on these things. By the time mass radio transmission became a thing, people were already treating newspapers with a grain of salt, but mostly their monopoly on reporting and the inherent competition in the industry kept them in check. But Radio gave people the first opportunity to hear what their leaders sound like, and the impressive feat was accompanied by taking for granted what they said. Hitler's own words were broadcast to Germans unfiltered and because the medium was relatively new, they listened. So did every other country when the radio was first created. But after controversies like the War of the Worlds broadcast, people were forced to take a far more skeptical look at what they heard on radio.

Then television came along, and the same thing happened. The new medium was overly trusted, largely because it was new and because the culture hadn't yet adapted to its strengths and weaknesses. Then the internet, then social media.

Over time, cultures will learn how to deal with the mistruths that go around on all of these mediums because, well, we won't have a choice. The problem is not that we can't adapt, but that untold damage will be done in the meantime while we do so.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
This is a post I wrote for the Auspol thread, I'd like to write more but I'm phone posting. The story which features this "Jewish Council" was featured on mainstream news, including conservative commentators using it as an example of "bad protestors"

Recoome posted:

This is the tl;dr from what I have right now, sorry it's not a lot.

Basically, the situation as presented is a sham (and this somehow hasn't been reported in the media). The Independent Jewish Council of Australia in a completely fictional organisation, and has not ever existed in any shape or form beyond potentially some dude's fever dreams. This is completely evident when you check out their About Us page, which lists the supposed exective team. The problem is, "Rabbi Moshe Gold" isn't a person, the .jpg for his name just links to a generic rabbi url and a reverse image search reveals that it is actually Barry Freundel. Hilariously, the front page has "news" correctly attributed to Freudel and uses his picture. It's safe to assume that no-one on this page exists, and a whois search of the domain reveals that the [domain was only registered late November, and the domain is set up through an anonymous host.

The problem here is that in news reports such as this one from Sky News, the Independent Jewish Council of Australia is legitimised as an actual conservative body of Jews, where the site and story doesn't even stand up to 5 minutes of scrutiny. Their Facebook page has only a handful of likes, and has a phrase which I can only surmise is a bastard form of Yiddish, although a person who could speak/write Yiddish would know that although the pronunciation is pseudo German, it is written in the Hebrew. I reckon that the person who wrote this only has a cursory knowledge of Judaism (even I know more about it through my girlfriend, and I'm not even that accultured).

I'm going to be forwarding what I have to Mediawatch or something, because frankly this is bullshit that this has gotten so much airtime with such little scrutiny.

e: The rest of the stuff basically just reinforces the point that this is some bizarro performance art piece by a crazy right wing dude I guess? I'm not sure

The greatest irony is that it's likely completely manufactured in order to make a point whilst still making Jews out to be a problem (A Jewish anti fascist group organized a demonstration), and this involves two controversial ultranationalist senators who try to paint themselves as a victim. Scary poo poo

stringball
Mar 17, 2009

I don't see many people talking about tabloids so I thought I'd ask if these had any sort of significance to the current shitstorm

I work at a cash register and two times a week the national enquirer and globe will poo poo out whatever absurd stuff they want, national enquirer being the worse of the two

This weeks headline is that the 3 clintons have been indicted and were taking russian bribe blood money

Others off the top of my head: it was world war 3 if Hilary was elected, bills gay dug fueled parties, hiliary has 6 months to live, obama in a turban, an awful Photoshop of a zombie like hiliary, hiliary cannot walk on her own anymore, worse than Watergate scandl

These reach millions of people and a lot probably don't care to research to see if it's true, or don't know that these tabloids go to extremes and how they get away with it

Late e: there has been absolutely nothing ever been any bad "reports" on Trump, and I think I read that he's friends with the national enquirer(by far the worst one), but I'm not sure

stringball fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Dec 3, 2016

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Our tabloids are slightly more truthful than that, they specialize in the eye-catching headline and picture and then the weasel words on page 5. The Murdoch model basically.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

Recoome posted:

This is a post I wrote for the Auspol thread, I'd like to write more but I'm phone posting. The story which features this "Jewish Council" was featured on mainstream news, including conservative commentators using it as an example of "bad protestors"

The greatest irony is that it's likely completely manufactured in order to make a point whilst still making Jews out to be a problem (A Jewish anti fascist group organized a demonstration), and this involves two controversial ultranationalist senators who try to paint themselves as a victim. Scary poo poo

This a step beyond the usual fake organisations that lovely garbage people use to establish authority like the Media Research Center or American College of Pediatricians.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

In Sydney we have a man, his wife and a dog who apparently are the directors of the Sydney Institute. He wages a one-man war against the public broadcaster and refuses to disclose who funds his "institute". These things are more of a continuum than distinct states.

For instance we have the wonderfully-named Institute of Public Affairs who are the premier right wing think-tank. Their proclamations are usually news somewhere, their members often get onto the public broadcaster for balance. Lately they're the tool for developing Liberal party policy because the party is incapable of any ideas of its own. Seriously, they took an IPA list of 100 wants and tried to implement most of them. They're still trying to. One of their stars went on to become the most useless head of the Human Rights Commission and recently got parachuted into a safe Liberal seat and promptly attacked the HRC for being useless. That's how it's done here.

So it's more than just fake news for fake news sake. It's about stepping stones to power.

Makrond
Aug 8, 2009

Now that I have all the animes, I can finally
become Emperor of Japan!
Would teaching people media literacy actually fix the problems we see with mainstream journalism though? I'm genuinely curious, because people seem to have decided that good journalism isn't profitable, in a world driven increasingly by Jobs And Growth. Breaking the back of 'fake news' and their funding model doesn't necessarily mean people will take their money to institutions that practice good journalism more often than not, right? At that point what do you do? If your job as a journalist rests on your employer deciding you make them enough money to justify your pay, how do you advocate for things that directly affect their bottom line? How do you hold the powerful to account when they stop talking to you because you think human rights aren't just an inconvenience to ignore? How do you shed light on government wrongdoing when breaking the story lands you in jail?

These aren't just hypothetical questions, incidentally, at least not here in Australia. Is it really as simple as teaching people to recognise when they're being fed a narrative rather than being told the truth, or are there other things that need to change? If so, what? How? And most importantly, how can an idiot goon on the internet do something to push things towards helpful change? I mean, I'm not saying there's not room to just vent about the state of media these days on this comedy internet forum, but are there things people could be doing instead?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

ewe2 posted:

FAU, I found your proposition of teaching media literacy very appealing, but would never happen here, the right wing are on to such plans and fight their culture wars more successfully on the curriculum than the US Midwest - which is the very place that needs that literacy most and will never get it anyway. So, great idea, shame about the execution. Unless civilization itself recognizes the danger, I fail to see why any ideologue would permit such a limitation.
It depends a lot on fixing public education in the U.S., yeah. I'm arguing for what should happen, not for what is likely to happen. But the goal overall is to disseminate a set of objective standards for reporting into the public consciousness, so if that doesn't happen through the schools, cool, whatever. I'm a lefty type, so I'm always going to argue for more and better public education.

Makrond posted:

Would teaching people media literacy actually fix the problems we see with mainstream journalism though? I'm genuinely curious, because people seem to have decided that good journalism isn't profitable, in a world driven increasingly by Jobs And Growth. Breaking the back of 'fake news' and their funding model doesn't necessarily mean people will take their money to institutions that practice good journalism more often than not, right? At that point what do you do? If your job as a journalist rests on your employer deciding you make them enough money to justify your pay, how do you advocate for things that directly affect their bottom line? How do you hold the powerful to account when they stop talking to you because you think human rights aren't just an inconvenience to ignore? How do you shed light on government wrongdoing when breaking the story lands you in jail?
1. It doesn't solve the problems on its own, but it helps. The goal is to make good journalism profitable, and bad journalism unprofitable, by getting people to a. recognize good and bad journalism and b. be willing to support it.
2. If it becomes an embarrassment to a company that their journalists can't report on their parent company or a major advertiser, that becomes less common. But you're right, it can be very difficult for reporters to avoid the pressure to report favorably on things their organization is connected to. It will remain important to consume news from many sources. Ideally, journalists would all act ethically and their audience would hold them accountable to those standards, but that's an "in a perfect world" argument.
3. If free press protections collapse and the government starts jailing journalists, this is all a moot point because regardless of media literacy, journalism is hosed in that country. You would need a strong public movement in favor of a free press, with consistent public outcry and protest when journalists are jailed. So... good luck with that one, Australia.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Main Paineframe posted:

Sure. And anyone who actually cares to verify that would go hunting for the original USDA press release, posted publicly on the USDA website, that announced the news. They'd follow your source links through all your fake news sites looking for the actual public USDA statement your claim would be based on.

Remember that story about the male contraceptive and how the volunteers chickened out because of a few light symptoms? Only if you actually read the loving paper, you found that the conception wasn't working, the side effects resulted in some remaining sterile and an outside safety group from the WHO stepped in to stop the study?

I can't tell you how many times someone would say to me, "Well I've got several sources (several sources citing Buzzfeed) saying what feels right to me and you have this weird link that I've never heard of (the loving paper) so I think you're full of poo poo". Then this starts getting conflated with the other, more well documented issues about women's health and it all goes to poo poo.

I know OoCC implied that there was some central Bond villain who does this, but it's really more of an organic process of folks passing sit around, sometimes in good faith, sometimes in ignorance and half the time to make a buck or press an agenda.

UV_Catastrophe
Dec 29, 2008

Of all the words of mice and men, the saddest are,

"It might have been."
Pillbug

BarbarianElephant posted:

Every media organization fucks up occasionally. If you wait for the newspaper that has never been wrong, you'll never subscribe to anything. The Facebook fake news scandal is about sources that are *always* wrong or dishonest, not those that are occasionally hoodwinked.

Just reading a "reliable source" doesn't mean you don't have to engage your critical thinking skills.

This a good point, and it's absolutely true.

Makrond posted:

These aren't just hypothetical questions, incidentally, at least not here in Australia. Is it really as simple as teaching people to recognise when they're being fed a narrative rather than being told the truth, or are there other things that need to change? If so, what? How? And most importantly, how can an idiot goon on the internet do something to push things towards helpful change? I mean, I'm not saying there's not room to just vent about the state of media these days on this comedy internet forum, but are there things people could be doing instead?

The economic side of this whole complicated issue is also what interests me. A lot of the good, hard-hitting investigative journalism and reporting has been traditionally done by print newspaper organizations, which are now well into financial decline due to the advent of the internet. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear that internet-based news outlets have picked up much of the slack left by the void of traditional on-the-ground reporting and investigating. Most outlets seem to be content with leeching off the journalistic efforts of the remaining print newsrooms still left standing, which has exacerbated the phenomenon where articles are citing sources that are secondhand or thirdhand or worse.

The fact of the matter is that we need well-funded and independent media organizations that can take on powerful interests and dig deep with investigative reporting. Unfortunately, we are coming up against the aspect of human nature that makes people tend to favor news that panders to their individual biases and preconceptions rather than favoring news that comes closest to the realistic truth. In practice, this means that people will throw their attention (and money) toward fake news groups that satisfy their worldview over legitimate news organizations.

I think maybe we need to start thinking about supporting sane and credible news outlets financially as a purely political gesture, e.g. subscribing or donating to legitimate news outlets in the same way that we donate to and support political candidates. Personally, I don't actually spend any money on any kind of news media, because I can read everything I want for free on the internet. I'm pretty sure that drat near everyone here knows that you can bypass internet paywalls on most news articles through incredibly simple means. I think the rise of fake news and the erosion of credible journalism can, in part, be traced back to this ongoing "free lunch" that we've been enjoying for the past decade or so. It's catching up to us.

UV_Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Dec 3, 2016

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Sometimes I do think the US government exercises a lot more control over the media then we'd want to think about.

I mean just look at this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEVlyP4_11M&t=755s

She was not toeing the government line and conveniently is cut off by pure, fresh-squeezed prolefeed. It's really spooky, like something you see in a movie taking the show-don't-tell approach to signifying "this is a dystopia". I wonder how this would have gone if they had the NSA director saying the Patriot Act is all hunky-dory.

It wasn't even edited to seem that way, that's how it was aired. RT (ironically) had the same clip and for all their faults, called them out on this bullshit.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
That's just a conspiracy thinking. Really, the government is watching and makes the news break to some pop culture story? You honestly believe that's what happened?

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

skooma512 posted:

She was not toeing the government line and conveniently is cut off by pure, fresh-squeezed prolefeed. It's really spooky, like something you see in a movie taking the show-don't-tell approach to signifying "this is a dystopia". I wonder how this would have gone if they had the NSA director saying the Patriot Act is all hunky-dory.

No, that's just the lazy media making an equivalency between political news they can't be bothered explaining with OH GOD JUSTIN BIEBER GOT ARRESTED. Ironically, if you watch the whole episode of LWT you'd get more of an education about the NSA and Snowden than the mainstream media ever have or are likely to bother to give you. Like Oliver says, if the only thing that gets people thinking about actual privacy from international surveillance is dick-pics then that's the baseline that is needed to engage them.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

UV_Catastrophe posted:

I was thinking about buying a subscription to the Washington Post to try and support real journalism, but lol at that fake "Russian propaganda" story that they published.

Is it worthwhile to try to support these established and well-recognized news organizations, even though almost all of them have been complicit in our current media trainwreck? I don't want my :10bux: going towards lovely journalism, but I also don't want the true crackpot news organizations to push out the more legitimate ones that are at least attempting to bring out the truth.

The Washington Post is fake news.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

That's just a conspiracy thinking. Really, the government is watching and makes the news break to some pop culture story? You honestly believe that's what happened?

That literally happens for movie productions that want to take advantage of US military resources.

https://www.shorescripts.com/pentagon/

I haven't seen the clip of skooma512 is talking about from John Oliver or RT's call out so I'm not trying to compare the two. But it's not crazy conspiracy thinking to think that certain places self-censor themselves.

Even the wikileaks podesta emails showed they had a group of friendly reporters they could reach out to that would set in motion the narrative they wanted. https://theintercept.com/2016/10/09/exclusive-new-email-leak-reveals-clinton-campaigns-cozy-press-relationship/

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Dec 4, 2016

Acid Haze
Feb 16, 2009

:parrot:

tekz posted:

Explain how the Washington Post is fake news.

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

It's true and I'm tired of pretending it isn't
What I'm getting from all of this is we need a "War of the Worlds" type of event every so often.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

tekz posted:

No, that's the Washington Times.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

DACK FAYDEN posted:

No, that's the Washington Times.

Pretty sure the Times isn't fake news either, just conservative.

A Deacon
Nov 17, 2016

by exmarx

Call Me Charlie posted:

'Fake News' is a manufactured scapegoat.

The problem isn't that the corporate media was pushing a false narrative they wanted to come true, no it's just that the stupid idiots of our country couldn't hear it over that drat Facebook. The problem isn't that third way democrats have done nothing to help the working class and the recession never really went away for a large portion of the country, it's the false article saying that Obama wants to ban the pledge of allegiance that allowed Trump to steal those people away. The problem isn't that what's left of our manufacturing jobs are leaving the country and there's no real alternative for what we're losing, it's just that dumb (soon to be unemployed) union worker doesn't know that more manufacturing jobs were created under Obama since the 1990s and we have to prepare for the jobs of the future when they come (arrival date: TBD)

People aren't going to believe Nobel laureate Paul Krugman when he shreds his credibility by saying that Trump is a puppet installed by the Kremlin. People aren't going to believe President Of The United States (and strangely enough, Nobel laureate) Barack Obama when he says things are getting better when they can clearly see that they aren't. People aren't going to believe the prestigious media outlets when they say that Hillary Clinton is a great progressive when there's decades worth of information saying otherwise.

If you want to neuter the power of 'fake news', you don't ghettoize it, you have to regain your own credibility. That means journalists have to behave like journalists instead of pundits. That means politicians actually have to do the things they say they're going to do for a decent amount of time. That means corporate owners of publications have to stop using their platforms like a pulpit.

I agree. The "Fake News" meme was mostly conjured up by the very publications that were caught colluding with the Clinton campaign through wikileaks after Hillary lost the election. The assertion that "fake news" is an exclusively right-wing phenomenon is simply idiotic. For instance: CNN, NBC, ABC, CBS, The New York Times, The Guardian, The Washington Post, and even supposedly prestigious "economists" like Paul Krugman were—and still are—insisting that Donald Trump was working for the Kremlin in one way or another. I have even seen people like Bill Maher and John Oliver give credence to this neo-McCarthyist horseshit.

The mainstream media should do itself a favor by dropping this puerile talking point. This is the digital information age. Outlets like InfoWars and Alternet are not going anywhere; so they should probably just get used to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

A Deacon posted:

For instance: CNN, NBC, ABC, CBS, The New York Times, The Guardian, The Washington Post, and even supposedly prestigious "economists" like Paul Krugman were—and still are—insisting that Donald Trump was working for the Kremlin in one way or another. I have even seen people like Bill Maher and John Oliver give credence to this neo-McCarthyist horseshit.

Is the clear alignment of the trump campaign with putin somehow no longer a real thing? Also how is it remotely "McCarthyist"?

• Locked thread