Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
I know this thread was made in the context of political news, but I have to point out that this poo poo has been going on at a serious clip for years with regards to alt-medicine, fake science reporting and so on. Quacks like Andrew Wakefield, Food Babe, Dr. Mercola. I'm just surprised that the issue of fake news is only coming to the forefront now, and only in the context of politics.

EDIT: Also, do we include conspiracy poo poo in the category of fake news as well? Loose Change and all that garbage? Or is that in a category of it's own?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Main Paineframe posted:

Sure. And anyone who actually cares to verify that would go hunting for the original USDA press release, posted publicly on the USDA website, that announced the news. They'd follow your source links through all your fake news sites looking for the actual public USDA statement your claim would be based on.

Remember that story about the male contraceptive and how the volunteers chickened out because of a few light symptoms? Only if you actually read the loving paper, you found that the conception wasn't working, the side effects resulted in some remaining sterile and an outside safety group from the WHO stepped in to stop the study?

I can't tell you how many times someone would say to me, "Well I've got several sources (several sources citing Buzzfeed) saying what feels right to me and you have this weird link that I've never heard of (the loving paper) so I think you're full of poo poo". Then this starts getting conflated with the other, more well documented issues about women's health and it all goes to poo poo.

I know OoCC implied that there was some central Bond villain who does this, but it's really more of an organic process of folks passing sit around, sometimes in good faith, sometimes in ignorance and half the time to make a buck or press an agenda.

• Locked thread