Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008

Byolante posted:

I think the fake news argument at it's core is fundamentally flawed because there doesn't seem to be anyone talking about it being a problem on the left, which it absolutely is.

The left either needs to do better and not let things like Rolling Stone or this happen, or accept its part of the game and stop trying to characterise it as a purely right wing phenomenon they are not guilty of. The way it is currently portrayed is ultimately a losing strategy because it leaves you open to easily provable accusations of wallowing in the same filth you protest against.

Interesting piece from NPR:

We Tracked Down A Fake-News Creator In The Suburbs. Here's What We Learned
http://www.npr.org/sections/alltechconsidered/2016/11/23/503146770/npr-finds-the-head-of-a-covert-fake-news-operation-in-the-suburbs

quote:

We've tried to do similar things to liberals. It just has never worked, it never takes off. You'll get debunked within the first two comments and then the whole thing just kind of fizzles out.

On the other hand:

CheeseSpawn posted:

quote:

How pernicious is fake news? I got hoodwinked myself by Craig Timberg’s piece on Russian hackers in the Washington Post

I had no idea that this story was also from a likely fake source (and it appears Rolling Stone was the first to attack it).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008

Extensive Vamping posted:

What I'm getting from all of this is we need a "War of the Worlds" type of event every so often.

Was he "War of the Worlds" event was a very effective piece of fake news . . . or do we just think so because of some vaguely sourced news stories that later blew up virally ?

http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/history/2013/10/orson_welles_war_of_the_worlds_panic_myth_the_infamous_radio_broadcast_did.html

• Locked thread