Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

Someone in another thread said it best, "Family friendly is out; 'edgy' is in". These types of articles -- both the fake ones and the fact-debunkers -- generate clicks which generate revenues. This poo poo is making money, and in an environment where real journalism is less and less profitable, we are probably going to see it ramp up. Fake news isn't going anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

FactsAreUseless posted:

People tend to focus really hard on whether the news is liberal or conservative, and that's putting the cart before the horse. You're just looking at the end product and saying "does this take a side" rather than applying consistent principles. In other words, it's a search for objectivity that isn't based on objective standards. That's how you end up with the "two people who disagreed with each other were on TV, therefore it was objective" idea.

This is a fantastic point and really offers up the closest I've seen to a solution to this problem.

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

Nevvy Z posted:

Remember This Article? It Was Pro-Trump Propaganda, and a Lot of Us Fell for It

This is interesting. I found myself questioning the truth of this article. So I looked up the article it's about
The Coddling of the American Mind

and misread something written ambiguously spent 20 minutes exploring the ambiguous phrasing and then realized I just wasted a ton of time.

This poo poo is hard.

I regularly read CityLab.com, an offshoot of the Atlantic, and I noticed that for months and months at a time, that Coddling of the American Mind article would consistently be at the top of the 'Most Read This Week' list of recommended articles from their other sites. It must have received an enormous amount of clicks.

• Locked thread